Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gix
May 18, 2008

Hail Eris.
Everything changes.
Keep me in flux.
I am the calm center of Chaos.
All hail Discordia.
What is a "mma stance"? I thought that the whole point of mma was to mix it up and use whichever stylistic aspects work best for you.

I'm coming mostly from a Karate background here, if any terms relevant to that discipline are useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
It's mostly just a lowered stance, with the hands kept closer to chest level and maybe a bit more hunched over. The point or an mma stance is to find a happy medium between guarding your head, and defending leg takedowns

P.s. I don't do mma, so feel free to call me an idiot.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What are the disadvantages of the boxing and traditional muay thai stances in MMA? I'm relatively new to striking.

Boxers can fight lower and more hunched than MMA fighters at least if they want to (so here I disagree with TheStampede). They need not worry about takedowns, leg kicks, or knees. Hence someone like Tyson crouched aggressively forward and low - planting your feet enables you to throw power combinations, low center of gravity helps with balance. The again to my eye Ali had a very upright, narrow and sideways stance which enabled him to dance away and dodge attacks (this stance would make it difficult for him to kick, sprawl or use his power hand/leg effectively in MMA) vs Tyson's square and low stance which enabled him to slip utilizing head movement inside the pocket to follow with a salvo with both hands (this stance would make it difficult for him to avoid low kicks, takedowns or knees to the face in MMA).

The MT stance is not very good for sprawling because the hands are so high and it is extremely upright. You get taken down this way. Someone like Shogun uses it in MMA, but only since he can usually get up again because of great ability in scrambling.

Look at the UFC 143 highlights, covers most MMA stances.

What is the common denominator vs boxing/MT stance is the very low hand position and either a rather upright and/or wide and square stance which enables you to leap away from attacks, effectively throw with both left and right, defend against knees and sprawl effectively.

edit: Also in MMA it's often said "styles make fights" and you can add "styles make stances" as well. Two strikers will have a more traditional kickboxing stance fighting each other than would a striker fighting a master of grappling. But yeah everyone probably knows this and I, too, have trained MMA for probably two or three hours.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 5, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Then there's dudes like Edgar who stand in a very sideways stance but have the speed and skill to avoid the single leg that would murder a straight boxer.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

suboptimal posted:

I'm on track to get a significant raise later on this month, and I'm considering getting back into martial arts after a long hiatus from them. I was thinking about taking up Krav Maga in Washington, DC, and it seems like the only game in town is (fittingly enough) Krav Maga DC. Does anyone have any experience with these guys, or point me towards something better if it exists? My goals here are mostly to learn self defense and improve my fitness.

I'm about 5'11" and weigh 180 or so, I lift weights and mountain bike fairly frequently. I studied a Japanese form of jujutsu for about a year and did BJJ for about six months when I was in graduate school.

I won't comment on whether Krav Maga is worthwhile or not, but I will point you to Beta Academy for solid muay thai and bjj training. The instructors have great pedigree and are really good people, the students are great, and the classes are a great workout. The only downside is that I found Beta to be too expensive for me when I was investigating it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Pice of poo poo posted:

I just moved to LA and I'm looking to get back into muay thai. I did it for a few months in Korea and really enjoyed it.

I haven't had access to mt since returning to the states so I've just been doing fitness kickboxing.

All that said, do you SoCal cool dudes have any gym recommendations? Right now, I'd be fine with any location in LA/SFV/Pasadena/Culver.

Hey welcome to LA! You might wanna check out http://theyardmuaythai.com/ it's north of downtown.

Pice of Shit
Jun 11, 2003
I got mail....yay.

Pellisworth posted:

Hey welcome to LA! You might wanna check out http://theyardmuaythai.com/ it's north of downtown.

Cool and thanks! I was reading about that gym and was thinking about checking it out. Do you train there?

Sityodtong USA also looks promising... anyone have personal experience there?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Ligur posted:

Boxers can fight lower and more hunched than MMA fighters at least if they want to (so here I disagree with TheStampede). They need not worry about takedowns, leg kicks, or knees. Hence someone like Tyson crouched aggressively forward and low - planting your feet enables you to throw power combinations, low center of gravity helps with balance. The again to my eye Ali had a very upright, narrow and sideways stance which enabled him to dance away and dodge attacks (this stance would make it difficult for him to kick, sprawl or use his power hand/leg effectively in MMA) vs Tyson's square and low stance which enabled him to slip utilizing head movement inside the pocket to follow with a salvo with both hands (this stance would make it difficult for him to avoid low kicks, takedowns or knees to the face in MMA).

The MT stance is not very good for sprawling because the hands are so high and it is extremely upright. You get taken down this way. Someone like Shogun uses it in MMA, but only since he can usually get up again because of great ability in scrambling.

Look at the UFC 143 highlights, covers most MMA stances.

What is the common denominator vs boxing/MT stance is the very low hand position and either a rather upright and/or wide and square stance which enables you to leap away from attacks, effectively throw with both left and right, defend against knees and sprawl effectively.

edit: Also in MMA it's often said "styles make fights" and you can add "styles make stances" as well. Two strikers will have a more traditional kickboxing stance fighting each other than would a striker fighting a master of grappling. But yeah everyone probably knows this and I, too, have trained MMA for probably two or three hours.

Really good post, thanks. At this traditional MT place they had me holding my hands higher than I was used to, and I was trying to work out the ramifications of it. And when I was at a boxing gym a few months back, I was trying to work out which parts of his advice I should really take to heart and which parts of his advice wouldn't be applicable to my MMA. I figure there's no harm in training in all three stances as long as I understand when each one is appropriate. When I'm a month or so out of a fight I can just start sparring in the MMA stance to get the habit ingrained. I'm between jobs and I can't afford to join the MMA gym I've been eyeing off, yet.

Gix posted:

What is a "mma stance"? I thought that the whole point of mma was to mix it up and use whichever stylistic aspects work best for you.

It's true, you can fight however you want, but there's obviously some natural selection involved at the higher levels of the sport. If you watch the first 20 or so UFCs you'll see it starts out as people fighting with a hundred different styles and it ends with people all fighting in a pretty similar way. You occasionally get special cases, people like Machida who can make something different work well, but for the most part there's a more effective path that's been worked out over thousands of hours of people beating each other bloody on TV.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Pice of poo poo posted:

Cool and thanks! I was reading about that gym and was thinking about checking it out. Do you train there?

Sityodtong USA also looks promising... anyone have personal experience there?

I thought about (and am still considering) joining The Yard. I went once and really enjoyed the vibe and instructors, I just can't comfortably afford the $120/mo + equipment price tag right now. I've heard good things about Sityodtong as well, though they're too far from where I live to be terribly convenient.

If you don't mind my asking, what part of LA are you living in? We can take this convo to PMs as well. But if you're not familiar with LA, I'd put "convenience" pretty high on my list of factors when considering a gym. Traffic and commuting can get really ridiculous here, fortunately The Yard is reasonably close to me and doesn't have set class times. There are a lot of great martial arts places in West LA but I advise against trying to train in any of those unless you happen to live in West LA.

Pice of Shit
Jun 11, 2003
I got mail....yay.

I don't have PMs but can we email/gchat? s.y.summers at gee-male

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Really good post, thanks. At this traditional MT place they had me holding my hands higher than I was used to, and I was trying to work out the ramifications of it. And when I was at a boxing gym a few months back, I was trying to work out which parts of his advice I should really take to heart and which parts of his advice wouldn't be applicable to my MMA.

Range is key. You see all pro fighters break apart (past, say, double leg shot distance) and shake their arms, drop their guard, etc. What stance and what guard you have depends on what you know can and can't come next.

When I'm sparring really slow guys, I'll drop my front hand and plan to slip more. If the other guy outreaches me and is fast, I'll keep my hands up in far more situations/ranges.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I've been punched in the face so much this year I don't mind it as much anymore and have also started dropping my lead (or even both) hands when sparring with someone slow or a little skittish. I really wub practicing head & upperbody movement but when my hands are in the traditional boxing/savate/kickboxing position I end up blocking. It also means newer practitioners sometimes connect when my slips suck which makes them a little more confident (I hope) and can even put a smile on their face.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
"MMA stance" isn't a real thing, there's just a list of dumb things to avoid even if they might work in another sport

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey MMA bros:

I work a desk job 8-10hrs a day before I go train. How the gently caress do I pump myself up before practice?

edit: er, mindset and getting myself from lazy desk worker thoughts to loving things up thoughts.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 7, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

Do you mean mentally, before even leaving for the gym? Or warmups at the beginning of practice?

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

I would've thought that a desk job would be enough frustration to be the kind of motivation to push yourself through a cathartic hulk smashing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think my most common thought between my office and boxing is "you want to be a boxer, and if you want to be a boxer, you have to train, so go to training you loving idiot"

And then I'm all nervous for no reason and then once I walk in the door of the gym everything is OK

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Fontoyn posted:

Hey MMA bros:

I work a desk job 8-10hrs a day before I go train. How the gently caress do I pump myself up before practice?

edit: er, mindset and getting myself from lazy desk worker thoughts to loving things up thoughts.

You get to have the opportunity to train that many others don't. I would say that is a pretty good motivator.

Folks who have to care for their family or others often cannot go and train. Folks who have particularly painful jobs (production line, construction workers, numerous other blue collar jobs) often cannot train. Folks who cannot afford to train do not train.

The list goes on and on....

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 7, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Even though I really like my job, it takes a lot out of me. Kickboxing is me-time. On training nights, I think the whole day about how much it'll own to punch faces and get face-punched. Also I watch all the typical pump up videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zmH7rHQX5o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtMm0swu5i8
Great, now I want to work out.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Man, once upon a time I used to be nervous before practice, seriously. The feeling slowly evaporated during warmups and I sort of forgot myself with the physical activity.

These days it only takes for me to step inside the gym. Something funny happens when I start wrapping my hands. All the anxiety and problems of real life fade away when I start wrapping. I don't remember the project deadline anymore. And when I'm done, I'm already somewhere else. Everything becomes simple. Head, empty. A fist approaches my face, I duck slightly and lean to the right, feeling a smile. After a few more I attack.

It's really like meditation.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
After a day of being stuck in a desk, dealing with white collar bullshit, you couldn't stop me from kicking someone in the head.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Why do you need to get pumped up to do something thats really awesome and the kid in you always wanted to do? To be a real loving ninja.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
Hey guys I went to the krav place on tuesday I mentioned a few pages back. It was really fun (and hard). I definitely wanna try a few more classes out before I decide if i wanna stick with this place.. my glasses are a issue though. Should I look into contacts for training or is there something... else? They didn't get knocked off or anything but they got knocked askew a few times. Especially when I was holding the tombstone for this big scary mma dude to hit :)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Blooshoo posted:

Hey guys I went to the krav place on tuesday I mentioned a few pages back. It was really fun (and hard). I definitely wanna try a few more classes out before I decide if i wanna stick with this place.. my glasses are a issue though. Should I look into contacts for training or is there something... else? They didn't get knocked off or anything but they got knocked askew a few times. Especially when I was holding the tombstone for this big scary mma dude to hit :)

How poor is your sight? I just go blind and I have really bad eyesight, but have never had problems with not seeing punches or anything like that

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

niethan posted:

How poor is your sight? I just go blind and I have really bad eyesight, but have never had problems with not seeing punches or anything like that

I might try that. I was just worried I wouldn't be able to see the instruction the first time. Guess I can pack them in my bag and throw them on if it becomes a issue.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Blooshoo posted:

I might try that. I was just worried I wouldn't be able to see the instruction the first time. Guess I can pack them in my bag and throw them on if it becomes a issue.

Just keep them handy and put them on if need be during instruction and take them off while you are drilling. That's what everybody I've ever worked with whose eyesight is really bad has done if they didn't have contacts.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

niethan posted:

Same here. I just take my glasses off.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

My three year old shin guards finally disintegrated last night. Anyone have a good recommendation? Particularly for ones that do a good job protecting your insteps against elbows?

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Fontoyn posted:

Hey MMA bros:

Start drinking a lot of coffee. I always drink coffee before working out and training.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

My three year old shin guards finally disintegrated last night. Anyone have a good recommendation? Particularly for ones that do a good job protecting your insteps against elbows?

Recommended for me in this thread. They're great.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
A guy in the kids class at my gym gets a flying armbar at every competition he competes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_lXcjSfqlA

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

They look cool as hell and are probably very effective but they look dangerous as hell and I'd hate to be on the receiving end. Even in practice.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Thoguh posted:

Just keep them handy and put them on if need be during instruction and take them off while you are drilling. That's what everybody I've ever worked with whose eyesight is really bad has done if they didn't have contacts.

This is what I do. Contacts always get knocked out of your head so I don't use them and in a very short time you get used to punching at the blurry figures near you! I have poor vision but I'm also so used to running around without contacts or glasses nobody ever notices my handicap.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

henkman posted:

A guy in the kids class at my gym gets a flying armbar at every competition he competes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_lXcjSfqlA

Not knocking him but I feel like short elbow locks rely on the element of surprise a lot more than on good technique. When I hit flying arm bars I make sure to put my opponents on their backs before locking anything up, cause I'd hate to break some guy's elbow just to win a match (and cause I'm probably too focused moving towards back to choke).

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I wear contacts and never have had any issues with em, but I don't get knocked around too bad usually.

gurgerus
May 27, 2012

by T. Smith
I took my 2nd muay thai class today. I really suck but I plan on spending an extra hour or two after class just practicing on the bags. I want to start taking the sparring and advanced classes in a month, does this sound reasonable?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
That is a really school and individual dependent question but at my school that timeline would be really unrealistic. Some peopple have come in insisting they should be in the advanced muay thai class based on a year or more of prior training but after evaluation are sent to the basic class because they are not at the proper level yet.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

gurgerus posted:

I took my 2nd muay thai class today. I really suck but I plan on spending an extra hour or two after class just practicing on the bags. I want to start taking the sparring and advanced classes in a month, does this sound reasonable?

Do you have to be in the advanced class to spar? You might be ready to spar with guys who won't kill you, but I don't think you can be advanced anything in only a month.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
It took me nearly two months of training 24 hours a week to get into the advanced class at my MT school, so I think yes, it is unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurgerus
May 27, 2012

by T. Smith

rhazes posted:

It took me nearly two months of training 24 hours a week to get into the advanced class at my MT school, so I think yes, it is unreasonable.

what did you have trouble with that you eventually fixed to get into the advanced class?

I figured once I ingrained how to properly punch and kick into my muscle memory, everything else will come smoothly and I should be ready for more advanced stuff.

• Locked thread