Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It's 500. What's the worst that could happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The airbox could be full of plutonic AIDS mice and flesh eating mutant spiders.

It is a concern...

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
Edit: ^^^^ A black widow spider infestation, perhaps?

JP Money posted:

It's 500. What's the worst that could happen?

How about having to spend $2k in parts? :suicide:
These bikes seem to have a pretty good following, though, so I imagine I could find parts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone in the market for a B12, I can tell you all about this specific one for sale at a Suzuki dealer outside Chicago :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251076485605&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1278wt_1167

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Anyone in the market for a B12, I can tell you all about this specific one for sale at a Suzuki dealer outside Chicago :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251076485605&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1278wt_1167

I grew up 30 minutes northwest of there. I thought you were in Wisconsin. Totally not stalking you btw. :mrapig:

I have some insight on this Ninja 250.

http://www.skypowersportslakeland.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=08668482X6K6K2012J3I27I14JPMQ5170R0&veh=37797&pov=2700531

Weird seeing your old poo poo for sale.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BlackLaser posted:

I grew up 30 minutes northwest of there. I thought you were in Wisconsin. Totally not stalking you btw. :mrapig:

I have some insight on this Ninja 250.

http://www.skypowersportslakeland.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=08668482X6K6K2012J3I27I14JPMQ5170R0&veh=37797&pov=2700531

Weird seeing your old poo poo for sale.

I do live in WI, I trailered the bandit down there and traded it in for the DRZ. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IcedPee posted:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3060521957.html

Someone talk me out of this, because I'll probably be going over to look at it after work today.

That's a '72, not a '69. It's identical to my parts-bike-that-is-slowly-becoming-a-running-bike-for-some-reason. The color is best described as "puke" in any kind of artificial lighting, but in the sun it's more of an "electric mucus". Very eye-catching. Also it has the rod-type shocks in the front which are better than the older piston-type.

Get it!

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

IcedPee posted:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3060521957.html

Someone talk me out of this, because I'll probably be going over to look at it after work today.

Why did you black (grey) out the guys phone number?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Backov posted:

He clearly doesn't want anyone else to call the dude.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

FREE DECAHEDRON!

Backov posted:

thought it would be rude to leave it there

Edit: went and looked at the bike. It's all there, but it's not running and needs some work (rear brake drum is locked, bit of rust everywhere, etc). Still kind of want, but I've never restored a bike. The dude who's selling it has restored a couple of them and has a gently caress-ton of spare parts and said I could come back and get a few things here and there.

Why is it not in my driveway right now?

IcedPee fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 7, 2012

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So I've wanted a motorcycle for this last second half of my life and I think it might be the time to get one. However I'm not sure if I'll love so I'm not looking to drop a few grand on something I'd just want to resell anyway. I have a lot of time, tools, and garage space at my disposal so I'd much rather invest time than cash into this thing. THAT said, I found this on my local CL and was wondering how much trouble I'd be getting myself into. I do have some basic combustion engine knowledge but a lot of it would be picking up the Haynes and experimenting. Any thoughts?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DeNofa posted:

So I've wanted a motorcycle for this last second half of my life and I think it might be the time to get one. However I'm not sure if I'll love so I'm not looking to drop a few grand on something I'd just want to resell anyway. I have a lot of time, tools, and garage space at my disposal so I'd much rather invest time than cash into this thing. THAT said, I found this on my local CL and was wondering how much trouble I'd be getting myself into. I do have some basic combustion engine knowledge but a lot of it would be picking up the Haynes and experimenting. Any thoughts?

"I've done everything to fix it minus this one small thing that only takes 15 minutes but I don't have time to fix it."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DeNofa posted:

So I've wanted a motorcycle for this last second half of my life and I think it might be the time to get one. However I'm not sure if I'll love so I'm not looking to drop a few grand on something I'd just want to resell anyway.

Sign up for an MSF course. You'll pay about 300 dollars (plus 120 or so for a decent simple helmet, if you want your own/one isn't provided), and at the end of it either (1) you will discover you love riding, you'll be ahead of the licensing game, and you'll have a solid base of skills to build upon instead of immediately developing bad habits, or (2) you will discover you don't really enjoy riding and you'll only be out 300 bucks instead of whatever you spend trying to get that bike on the road. I think the first outcome is much more likely.

DeNofa posted:

I have a lot of time, tools, and garage space at my disposal so I'd much rather invest time than cash into this thing. THAT said, I found this on my local CL and was wondering how much trouble I'd be getting myself into. I do have some basic combustion engine knowledge but a lot of it would be picking up the Haynes and experimenting. Any thoughts?

I agree with GnarlyCharlie -- if whatever's wrong with it will only take 15 minutes to fix, you have to question why the guy didn't do so and instantly double or triple his price since it becomes a running bike. I do know that once in a while someone just gets so sick of the "one more thing" on their project that they get rid of it and it really does only need some tweaking, but that's rare.

That said, my first bike was a non-runner in far worse condition than that one, and I got it restored and running like a top in about three months for about 1200 dollars. It was an occasionally frustrating but mostly rewarding experience, and now I know enough about Honda 350s that I can take one apart down to the last bolt, put it back together, and have it pass the inspection the first time. That's a pretty good feeling.

If you're just looking for transportation and/or want to get on the road as fast as possible, don't get that bike. If you're looking for a new project to play with, you're persistent and don't mind spending more time and money than you expect to have something that *you built* at the end of it, and the engine isn't seized (that would be a deal-breaker for me), then go for it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 7, 2012

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

DeNofa posted:

Maxim 400 was my first bike. They are pretty top heavy, and they can have catastrophic cam chain failure. Nerobro didn't like them at all.

For $400 its a decent deal, make sure you get all the parts that the guy swapped over, as he probably did it wrong.

I sold mine for $1600 once I fixed a gummed up carb. I don't think you can lose out unless you try to concourse restore it then light it on fire,

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
What do y'all think of this?

http://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/3052814447.html

I haven't been riding that long, so I'm tempted to stick with what I've got at the moment and maybe look at something like this next season. At the same time, I'd like to start putting miles back on a bike I think I want to stick with longer term.

At some point down the line, I'd like to do long road trips out west. I'm torn on getting something like the above and having the ability to hit logger roads or similar things vs. more of a sport tourer that would be able to handle long days but not be able to leave the road...

Is that BMW something to consider as a first "real" bike?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

qutius posted:

I haven't been riding that long, so I'm tempted to stick with what I've got at the moment and maybe look at something like this next season. At the same time, I'd like to start putting miles back on a bike I think I want to stick with longer term.

At some point down the line, I'd like to do long road trips out west. I'm torn on getting something like the above and having the ability to hit logger roads or similar things vs. more of a sport tourer that would be able to handle long days but not be able to leave the road...

That thing is a 2-wheeled Panzer tank, so huge. Seems like a really good price on it, too. Compare to http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3018140019.html - or maybe our prices are just retarded high or there's something wrong with that one like a salvage title.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

IcedPee posted:

thought it would be rude to leave it there

Edit: went and looked at the bike. It's all there, but it's not running and needs some work (rear brake drum is locked, bit of rust everywhere, etc). Still kind of want, but I've never restored a bike. The dude who's selling it has restored a couple of them and has a gently caress-ton of spare parts and said I could come back and get a few things here and there.

Why is it not in my driveway right now?

I also called about this but I did not hear back. Does it run? It sounds like $400 could quickly become $1000.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

FREE DECAHEDRON!

ThirstyBuck posted:

I also called about this but I did not hear back. Does it run? It sounds like $400 could quickly become $1000.

I said right in what you quoted that it does not run. For a non-running bike it seems in decent enough shape. I'm gonna call the guy today and tell him if he can bring it down to me and throw in some parts (he offered to do this anyway when I went to see it Wednesday night) I'll take it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

OH. MY. GOD.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

That is just perfect. wow.

And here's a $1500 sv if anyone is interested.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/3058553433.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
WHAT THE gently caress? A CB1000? I didn't even know those existed in the wild.
drat DC you are kicking rear end with awesome bikes on the cheap lately...

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

qutius posted:

I just got rid of my 1100gs. It was my second bike and first "real bike."(3 bikes in 9 months since starting riding, ha.)

It hauled rear end on the highway, on the dirt roads and paved twisty roads in the Ozarks. Parts where also gently caress-all expensive and it got 30mpg. I don't know if they've improved that on the newer ones and you'd have less to worry about, mine was 14 years old and stuff was starting to break. Oil changes where expensive, it takes like 4 quarts. And, it used premium gasoline.

Overall pretty fun, they are 'balanced' really well, meaning you don't feel like your riding a giant tractor. But, the tractor-like clutch takes a while to get used to. BMWs use more automotive like dry single-plate clutches. I lay'd her down a few times (not at speed, just dropped it when not moving.) It was surprisingly easy to get back up.

But, I like my smaller less goofy-nerd-looking bike I have now.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
A guy up the road from me has a 1983 Honda CB550SC (Nighthawk) he wants $1100. Shockingly my wife is on board, I think I wore her down with my persistence. I wish I got a picture, but I was in too much of a rush to get home to see what you guys think. It's in great condition. It started up like the 3rd time the guy hit the starter, and idled nicely at half choke and then evened out nicely. Beside a patch on the seat and a cracked right mirror the bike looks REALLY good. Apparently it was an older fellow who owned it before and used to ride with the guy who is selling it.

I mean it's a Nighthawk so it's not the prettiest girl on the block, but I think some straight bars and a round headlight would help it immensely. What do you think? I was going to start at $800 and see if he could talk me up to $900-1000. (See EDIT 2) I would be fine offering $650 on this and going maybe to $700. I think around a grand for a running bike isn't pretty much standard, and some poking around online shows that the '83 550 Nighthawk was pretty well loved.

EDIT: I don't know if it matters, but this would be my first bike. I just passed the MSF last week. I've been tinkering with an old Ninja to see if I could get it running, but I would love to actually have a bike that runs fine to begin with. :)

EDIT 2: I'm glad I pumped the brakes and took a chill pill before I immediately pulled the trigger on this. I read the buyer's guide for motorcycles and checked the Kelly Blue Book prices. The KBB for this bike is $1095, in excellent condition. I can already tell that it needs a new battery, the seat is going to need to be switched out, and I'm pretty sure the front tire is dry rotted.

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 9, 2012

ProfessorYesNo
Dec 10, 2006
What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in what?
Part of me wants to go pick this up- it's a 1977 KZ1000 that the dude only wants $1350 for. Doesn't look too bad, either.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/3054562436.html

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Sell all your other junk and buy this. Seriously.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boru posted:

I can already tell that it needs a new battery, the seat is going to need to be switched out, and I'm pretty sure the front tire is dry rotted.

Just FYI, if the bike hasn't been ridden in more than a season or so, buying a new battery and new tires is just par for the course. Shouldn't cost you more than 250 or so for all three if you're going with decent-quality touring tires.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Just FYI, if the bike hasn't been ridden in more than a season or so, buying a new battery and new tires is just par for the course. Shouldn't cost you more than 250 or so for all three if you're going with decent-quality touring tires.
That's what I figured. The thing is damned clean for an '83. I'm definitely going to try and snag it for $700 - 900. I think it will be a great bike to start on, even if it's not really the *style* I want. :cool:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Don't worry too much about "style," you may find that you love it. For example, I never liked sport bikes and then I bought an R6 to fix up and flip. Now I adore sport bikes! Personally I would offer $900 if it runs. KBB means nothing other than a number to work down from. A running bike is almost always worth 800 or more.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That is just perfect. wow.

Be sure to check for cam chain chatter and the camshaft oiling mod if you look it over. 84-85 were bad for that, however some of the 86's as I understand were impacted.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Welp I went up the road to offer $700-900 for that '83 CB550 SC (Nighthawk) and the dude's friend had changed his mind literally minutes before. They're both in their 70's so I think for the owner it was a case of elderly hemming and hawing. :rolleyes:

The seller was apologetic, but I told him that he has my number, so if his buddy changes his mind, I could be up there in minutes with cash on hand. :pervert:

I'm a little bummed, but my friend who is helping me with the Ninja knows a guy who is selling his Yamaha TW and (maybe) his Rebel. I took the MSF on the TW so I wouldn't mind owning one. My only concern with that is that I want to commute ASAP, and with a TW I'd be concerned about maintaining 65 on the highway. We will see though, a babby supermoto would be fun! :downs:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Boru posted:

A guy up the road from me has a 1983 Honda CB550SC (Nighthawk) he wants $1100.

This and the 650 of the same era are great bikes, and were designed to be low maintenance. However, if you're already thinking about modifying it, you're probably better off starting with something closer to your aesthetic preferences. Put in some more overtime, sell your ferret, cash in those empties and look at the Gen 2 Nighthawks ('92-up).

I think I understand where you're coming from. The Virago 920 of the early 80s featured a big clunky rectangular headlight with a big clunky CYCOM instrument panel because everything was all TRONesque in those days. There was an extremely rare (in the US) "Euro" version of it called the XV920RJ/RH (or TR1 overseas). I see one come up for sale about once a year or so. Unfortunately, I let this year's get away.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 10, 2012

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

This and the 650 of the same era are great bikes, and were designed to be low maintenance. However, if you're already thinking about modifying it, you're probably better off starting with something closer to your aesthetic preferences. Put in some more overtime, sell your ferret, cash in those empties and look at the Gen 2 Nighthawks ('92-up).

I think I understand where you're coming from. The Virago 920 of the early 80s featured a big clunky rectangular headlight with a big clunky CYCOM instrument panel because everything was all TRONesque in those days. There was an extremely rare (in the US) "Euro" version of it called the XV920RJ/RH (or TR1 overseas). I see one come up for sale about once a year or so. Unfortunately, I let this year's get away.

drat, if that was the bike up the road I would of made him an offer he couldn't refuse!

Yeah my first order of business with the Nighthawk (had the seller not gotten cold feet :argh:) would have been putting on a round headlight and flat bars. At this rate, though, I kind of just want to get out on the road: so aesthetic be damned!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marv Hushman posted:

Those are the only early VX's(viragos) that were chain-driven instead of shaft-driven, and were only imported in '82, I think. After that, they were entirely shaft-drive, then they went to dual shocks, then downhill from there. Easiest way to tell is if they have that seca-looking gas tank.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Boru posted:

I'm a little bummed, but my friend who is helping me with the Ninja knows a guy who is selling his Yamaha TW and (maybe) his Rebel. I took the MSF on the TW so I wouldn't mind owning one. My only concern with that is that I want to commute ASAP, and with a TW I'd be concerned about maintaining 65 on the highway. We will see though, a babby supermoto would be fun! :downs:

A tee-dub will do just fine at 65 if you swap out the front and/or rear sprockets. I forget the trick setup for the highway, but mine did just fine. If you're 250lbs that might be different.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

MotoMind posted:

A tee-dub will do just fine at 65 if you swap out the front and/or rear sprockets. I forget the trick setup for the highway, but mine did just fine. If you're 250lbs that might be different.
I guess he did the sprocket swap, but I am a larger guy so it may be problematic. I'm 6'3 and 230ish pounds. We'll see. Worst comes to worse I can ride it this season, save up over the winter and sell it next spring to get a larger bike. I could probably use a good year of limited riding under my belt anyway.

EDIT: So here's an interesting ad that's only 4 or 5 towns away, a '94 KLR: http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/3051483299.html

The fact that the key tumbler and electrics are shot kind of shade me out. Is this too much to ask a grand for?

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 10, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sir Cornelius posted:

Sell all your other junk and buy this. Seriously.

I'm already working on it.
Buy all my other poo poo so I can buy it!

R-Type posted:

Be sure to check for cam chain chatter and the camshaft oiling mod if you look it over. 84-85 were bad for that, however some of the 86's as I understand were impacted.

I thought it was ALL 80's v-4's?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Boru posted:

The fact that the key tumbler and electrics are shot kind of shade me out. Is this too much to ask a grand for?

At your weight I would skip the KLR250. The TW would be straining on any kind of hill too, but you could make it work on the flats if you wind it out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Boru posted:

I guess he did the sprocket swap, but I am a larger guy so it may be problematic. I'm 6'3 and 230ish pounds. We'll see. Worst comes to worse I can ride it this season, save up over the winter and sell it next spring to get a larger bike. I could probably use a good year of limited riding under my belt anyway.

EDIT: So here's an interesting ad that's only 4 or 5 towns away, a '94 KLR: http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/3051483299.html

I'd rather have one of these:

http://i.imgur.com/A5hHa.jpg

(sorry for the "cafe'd" out version. It was the first one that came up on GIS)
I WANT one.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

MotoMind posted:

At your weight I would skip the KLR250. The TW would be straining on any kind of hill too, but you could make it work on the flats if you wind it out.
drat. The TW I rode at MSF was nice cause it was a bit peppy, and i didn't have to oragami fold myself to mount it.

So I mean does my :btroll: rule out EVERY 200 - 250, or just the dual-sports? I run into the same problem when I bicycle, cause I need to jack the seat up all the way and lean out the handlebars, even on a larger framed bike. Now with motorcycles it makes it even more complicated. Added to the fact that I work out all the time so I couldn't be lighter if I wanted to. :v:

EDIT: Here's something that looks more my speed, '81 Honda CB750 that supposedly runs:

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/3054760318.html

$900. Worth checking out?

EDIT 2: I'd be a drat liar if I said that this didn't interest the hell out of me, Yamaha XS400 Bobber:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/81-Y...=item3a75666bd4

Bidding's at $750 so far. There's gotta be something wrong with me. :downs:

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Anyone have any thoughts on this SV650. I've not been keeping an eye on what they go for so I wanted some opinions. Thinking a friend and I may at least go look at it.

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/3048788430.html