Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamJars
Aug 2, 2004

you cannot beat me
This pretty much proves that uu and UU are the same person unless Hussie is just straight-up loving with us now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I really should have downloaded that Pesterlog scrolling add-on for this thing.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Am I the only person who has never played a game of chess in his life in which either player bothered to announce the grid squares of their moves? I was in a freaking CHESS CLUB in middle school and even they never did that, but lately I see/hear it everywhere when a game of chess comes up in fiction. Is my experience just atypical or what?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Switching king and queen. What does it MEEEEEEAAAN??

Cleretic posted:

I really should have downloaded that Pesterlog scrolling add-on for this thing.

Here you go.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

After reading this update, I believe we can conclude that there's no way that two characters will turn out to have been disguised as each other the whole time, to disastrous consequences. Such a twist would be unthinkable. And it's definitely not going to be a character whose situation we were led to believe was exceptional.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

tinaun posted:

Switching king and queen. What does it MEEEEEEAAAN?
Well, it does make you wonder about the Black King's fate.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
This update makes me really miss chess. Haven't played seriously since middle school. :(

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Rorus Raz posted:

Well, it does make you wonder about the Black King's fate.

I'm just picturing the black king stuffed into a queen carapace and ... :gonk:

And of course, if we read Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff, this update is very predictable.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh my God, chess is so boring, and I know I'm going to have to come back to this update to figure out what it's foreshadowing because it's so obviously aggressively pregnant with hidden meaning.

Ughghghghghg.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ugh, my ears. This is so lovely I'm actually tempted to do a non lovely version. Maybe one for each act ala the old Problem Sleuth videos.

CidGregor posted:

Am I the only person who has never played a game of chess in his life in which either player bothered to announce the grid squares of their moves? I was in a freaking CHESS CLUB in middle school and even they never did that, but lately I see/hear it everywhere when a game of chess comes up in fiction. Is my experience just atypical or what?

My only guess is to appease chess nerds who would be willing to double check whether they made a legal move or not.

Oh, hey, it works in Opera. Guess I'll use it, too!

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

CidGregor posted:

Announcing grid squares implies they are really, really into chess.

You or I, normal people that played it in school back in the day, memorized some setups and tricks, but basically played it visually only. However, once you really get into chess, you have to start picturing the different moves someone might make in your head. Memorizing the grid locations for all the moves improves that kind of cognitive thinking even more. People can play an entire game of chess just in their heads alone, no pieces necessary.

In terms of written fiction, it's also the only way to convey the drama of the scene without sounding like an idiot. If you know chess, it's much more effective that way.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

CidGregor posted:

I wasn't into chess, but some friends of mine were and they had to write down all of their moves if they were playing an official game. Sometimes they'd say the full move since they'd need to write it down anyway.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

Roger Explosion posted:

Oh my God, chess is so boring

You take that back right now, mister. :mad:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

CidGregor posted:

Well in Red Dwarf it was an excuse for Holly to talk about prawns, horseys and bishes ("Horsey to King Bish 3", etc.). I guess it's also useful in those big championship games where all the moves get replicated on a giant board on the wall?

tinaun posted:

And of course, if we read Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff, this update is very predictable.
And you can even say that there was a ruse (swapping the king and queen) that ultimately turned out to be a........... DISTACTION.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This is seriously a necessity now, I'm convinced this past update was done in such a way that anyone using this script benefited greatly compared to others. Clicking the "next" on the flash with each move, the final "fist of anger" was much much much more impactful than if I didn't have the scrolling script and just ended up going through the whole game either before or after reading the pesterlog.

So that said, thank you again so much for making this!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Very heavy foreshadowing that they're the same person. There's no reason they'd be using a chat client to talk to each other if they're in the same room, and especially no reason for them to end the conversation after every thing they say...unless they're using the same computer.

Plus UU would see what was done with the killed pieces if "she" was there the whole time.

At this point, the hinting is so blatant that I'm at like 90% that Hussie is just loving with us.

Roger Explosion posted:

I know I'm going to have to come back to this update to figure out what it's foreshadowing because it's so obviously aggressively pregnant with hidden meaning.

Ughghghghghg.

Yeah. I'm way too tired right now, but I'm sure there's a poo poo-ton of stuff hidden in there.

Probably if you look up the move sets, one of them has a name that foreshadows something.

I think I'll leave the one to you guys. :|

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 8, 2012

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The king/queen switching thing might explain why the White Queen has the scepter?

Chess is weird.

CidGregor posted:

I think in this case it's supposed to be a roundabout Harry Potter wizard chess joke, where they did call out the grid names dramatically. It'd tie into the Calmasis/Complacency of the Learned thing, anyway.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, fine two quick things:

- Hopefully you all already remember this, but that move was taken almost wholecloth from Complacency.

quote:

Zazzerpan had a reputation for being unbeatable. He had never lost a match, even to the gods. But his apprentice was able to beat him in the wizard's duel by first becoming checkmated, and through some unprecedented enchantment, continuing to play beyond the death of the king.

- "UU: yes, there yoU go!
UU: that's the sort of aggression the people paid top boondollar to see. "

...'paid'? Past-tense? This seems important, but my brain can't summon up what it could mean.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So this is pretty good evidence that Calmasis represents uu and Zazzerpan represents UU. But who the gently caress are the Complacency and Zazzerpan's disciples? Even if the dead trolls get involved (which I'm honestly expecting at this point thanks to Vriska and Tavros), and even counting both Solluxes separately, that's still only 21 characters out of 24.

murder all posters
Aug 19, 2008

by angerbot

pumpinglemma posted:

So this is pretty good evidence that Calmasis represents uu and Zazzerpan represents UU. But who the gently caress are the Complacency and Zazzerpan's disciples? Even if the dead trolls get involved (which I'm honestly expecting at this point thanks to Vriska and Tavros), and even counting both Solluxes separately, that's still only 21 characters out of 24.

Didn't Jane's exploration flash drop some heavy hints that Dirk, Roxy, and Jake are gonna die?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

murder all posters posted:

Didn't Jane's exploration flash drop some heavy hints that Dirk, Roxy, and Jake are gonna die?

I think that was referring to their dreamselves.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
I just realized something. A standard chess set has 32 pieces. There are 24 trolls, and 8 kids.

UU/uu's game, after "the knight is dead", contains 11 red pieces (4 pawns, 2 knights, 2 rooks, 1 bishop, 1 king, 1 queen) and 10 green (3 pawns, 2 bishops, 2 rooks, 1 knight, 1 king, 1 queen). The others have been eliminated, probably.

At the end of the game, it's reduced to 7 red (4 pawns, 1 bishop, 1 king, 1 queen) and 4 green (3 pawns, 1 king). Then she hits the table and it's reduced to 2 green pawns, 2 red pawns and a king of each color- but the only one standing is a single red pawn.

Right now there are 8 live kids and 6 live trolls. How exactly any of this is directly significant is another question, but given that this is Hussie, there's pretty much no way that it's not.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Is it just me or is UU's interest in his 'sister' (who may or may not be the same person) really unsettling? I'm starting to get flashbacks to Resident Evil: Code Veronica here. With that in mind I don't know if them technically being the same person really makes the situation any better, either.

Also, count me in as one of the five people reading this last update who has never played a game of chess in their lives and thus is probably missing out on a truckload of references/foreshadowing :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rose Spirit posted:

This update makes me really miss chess. Haven't played seriously since middle school. :(

This update is only reminding me why I don't miss chess; it is almost exclusively played by the smuggest motherfuckers alive who don't know how to win gracefully, at least at that age.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
This update, while cool, was near unreadable. Getting the scroll addon pronto.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

CidGregor posted:

Apparently you are not the only one. I'm in the same boat; I was a huge nerd and in chess club in high school too, but we never used the "proper" grid notation. I sorta learned it as a kid because we had this old-rear end computerized chess board, and it would light up the grid names it wanted to move its pieces to. Even to this day, announcing the grid squares of your moves just makes you sound like a robot, and combined with their turn-taking pesterlog, they all came off as very robotic to me. That probably wasn't intended though.

Brass Key posted:

I just realized something. A standard chess set has 32 pieces. There are 24 trolls, and 8 kids.

UU/uu's game, after "the knight is dead", contains 11 red pieces (4 pawns, 2 knights, 2 rooks, 1 bishop, 1 king, 1 queen) and 10 green (3 pawns, 2 bishops, 2 rooks, 1 knight, 1 king, 1 queen). The others have been eliminated, probably.

At the end of the game, it's reduced to 7 red (4 pawns, 1 bishop, 1 king, 1 queen) and 4 green (3 pawns, 1 king). Then she hits the table and it's reduced to 2 green pawns, 2 red pawns and a king of each color- but the only one standing is a single red pawn.

Right now there are 8 live kids and 6 live trolls. How exactly any of this is directly significant is another question, but given that this is Hussie, there's pretty much no way that it's not.

Wow, that's amazingly perceptive. I never thought of the 32 pieces/32 kids and trolls thing. I'm not sure what an 11 red/10 green split could mean, but the 7/4 one is rather obvious - 7 kids (I'm telling you everyone, Jake's going to die), and 4 trolls (not counting Sollux and Aradia, who are more or less out of the game now). But having it reduced down to three of each is really rather depressing, although the image of the one red pawn left standing (John?) is fairly evocative.

edit: wait, no, the troll universe was blue, not green. The green one is the scratch kids. Okay, I have no idea, then.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

So this is pretty good evidence that Calmasis represents uu and Zazzerpan represents UU.

Speaking of: Do we know explicitly that Zazzerpan is the protagonist of CotL? We assume Calmasis is the villain, but he is only described as an "antihero", which has multiple definitions, and the fact that Zazzerpan's faction represents the complacent makes me think that Calmasis might actually be the protagonist.

Because that would have some interesting implications regarding UU and uu. uu, after all, is a huge jerk, but we said the same thing about Karkat and Vriska, and look how that turned out.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Bobulus posted:

- "UU: yes, there yoU go!
UU: that's the sort of aggression the people paid top boondollar to see. "

...'paid'? Past-tense? This seems important, but my brain can't summon up what it could mean.

It means that everyone else is dead.

quote:

uu: HOW ELSE AM I GOING TO GET OFF THIS DESOLATE ROCK?
uu: YOu THINK I WANT TO STAY HERE? JuST HANG AROuND. TIL I JOIN THE HuNDRED BILLION CORPSES FERTILIZING THE SOIL?

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Starmaker posted:

Apparently you are not the only one. I'm in the same boat; I was a huge nerd and in chess club in high school too, but we never used the "proper" grid notation. I sorta learned it as a kid because we had this old-rear end computerized chess board, and it would light up the grid names it wanted to move its pieces to. Even to this day, announcing the grid squares of your moves just makes you sound like a robot, and combined with their turn-taking pesterlog, they all came off as very robotic to me. That probably wasn't intended though.

They're calling their moves to make it easier for the other to notice what changed on the board, since they weren't there to see the move take place. This is a pretty standard chess-by-mail thing, isn't it?

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that uu: Jeer UU starts out with UU talking?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, yes, of course. But I meant more like 'if she meant a hypothetical situation, she'd have phrased it in the present tense'. Past tense implies that, whichever civilization UU and uu come from, they actually did pay money for some form of display of aggression. Which, of course, would fit most worlds, but I feel like there's some clue buried there about if they come from, say, A2 or B2 or whatever.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Am I the only person who skipped through pretty much all of that? I tried to read it, but it was way too early in the morning for me to read pages and pages about chess. Guess I'll give it a shot later, but :effort:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't skip it. I hate chess too but that was actually a really cool character interaction framed by a chess match, and I thought uu's winning trick was really well done. No way does that not come back in the story some how.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Personally I read everything and just kind of ignored the chess moves because I don't care about chess at all. It was still pretty compelling stuff, you don't need to follow the moves to get what's going on.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cavatica posted:

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that uu: Jeer UU starts out with UU talking?

I'm almost certain I've seen that happen before with two other characters. Seems like the "begin whatevering whoever" shows up when the instigator opens up the message window, not when the send the first message. If the other person's on the ball they can get the first word in.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Yeah in all honesty, the chess part is not what's important, it's secondary to what's really going on, which is foreshadowing. it just provides a new framework to couch the conversation in that isnt just "uu: tell UU that you are going to kill her with a lovely twist"

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
A probably minor thing I realized: We've already seen a pair playing a game together where one is the constant victor, and the usual winner's response to an upset in that balance. Not at all sure how this relates to the current game, but I think there might be something there.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Jorenko posted:

They're calling their moves to make it easier for the other to notice what changed on the board, since they weren't there to see the move take place. This is a pretty standard chess-by-mail thing, isn't it?

Well yeah, I understand that, and it's obviously how it's meant to be interpreted. All I was saying is that my earliest experiences with calling your moves in chess was with computers. I guess that's not really all that interesting, but I don't get many opportunities to reminisce about my robotic chess set from the 80s, so just humour me here, ok?

Also, re: everyone who hates chess - you are but a shell of a human, for you have no soul.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
uu "doing things" to the dead pieces seems like it's meant to be particularly ominous, if they do symbolize dead characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

RandallODim posted:

A probably minor thing I realized: We've already seen a pair playing a game together where one is the constant victor, and the usual winner's response to an upset in that balance. Not at all sure how this relates to the current game, but I think there might be something there.

Not only that, but in Skaia, white is always destined to lose against black. But switching the king and queen might change that. The White Queen has been shown to be more effective than the White King in B1 at least, where she took action to try and stop Jack, he simply was sitting complacently reading the Complacency of the Learned.

In B2 we've seen WQ with the sceptre, so this might be connected.