Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

xwonderboyx posted:

Now you probably look like a real officer.

Not quite that bad, but I'm a little... softer than i used to be. I don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well, look at the bright side, 42% of the nation will be obese by 2030, so as long as you stay average sized you'll practically be an Adonis.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I already am when I go back to west Texas, but it isn't good enough. I'm going to look like that again. I've been jacked, and I will return.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Henry Meowlins posted:

I already am when I go back to west Texas, but it isn't good enough. I'm going to look like that again. I've been jacked, and I will return.

I have seen the promised land, and the road there is paved with chicken breast and broccoli.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

smertrioslol posted:

I have seen the promised land, and the road there is paved with chicken breast and broccoli.

I don't know about your road but mine's paved with bacon, eggs with hot sauce, chili that burns going both ways, tuna with spicy ranch, burgers, and bratwurst. I get an unhealthy amount of pleasure from seeing the horrified looks on peoples' faces in the gym when food chat starts up, especially when horror turns into hatred after we compare lifts. Only bad thing is when the tape test somehow has me pegged at ~22% body fat, which would be funny if that wasn't close to the point where I get bitched at for being a fatass. I don't get it, do I have like an extra 10 lbs of visceral fat just hidden in miscellaneous parts of my body?

EDIT: Crop dusting people at the gym is my secret joy. Dude curling in the squat rack? Say hello to the vomitous, salty garbage effluvia made possible by eggs, bacon, french press coffee, and chili con queso.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 8, 2012

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

is that combination something you get at Applebees or Chilis?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Christoff posted:

No.

I hear stories about the crazy stims like oxyelite, jack3d, noxplode, etc. from what I gather they're just rumors and discouraged for use.....for now.

Cocaine
Heroin
Ecstasy
Amphetamines
THC

Also, Painkillers(hydromorphone/codone), Xanax-like products. That's it. A steroid piss test has to be cleared with JAG, has a special testing code, and requires the UPL to inform you that you need double the standard sample size. So no, those products probably aren't going to make you pop hot, and if they do, you take them to the Medical Evaluation Officer or whatever the guy who evaluates if it's a legit hot test, and he should clear you anyway. Keep track of what you take, and keep a sample of it, AND the bottle, if you're that worried about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They can also send stuff off for spice now, at command discretion. There was a navadmin about it a couple of months ago.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

MurderBot posted:

is that combination something you get at Applebees or Chilis?

My usual breakfast and lunch. The chili's a homemade labor of love; 2 1/2 pounds of 90/10, 3 pounds of vidalia onions, a few celery stalks, 3 cans of dark red kidney beans, a big can of crushed tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, jalapenos, garlic, and worcestershire sauce. I cook the onions, celery, and garlic then brown the meat with the worcestershire, spices, and jalapenos then throw everything in a slow cooker and add some water. 3-4 hours later, huge pot o' awesome that lasts me at least a week.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

GIP recipe Beatdown: Learn how to fart mustard gas out yer' rear end.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
You know, I like some of the crossfit workouts, but lately I've been getting a little tired of this cult-like mindset it's created. You don't hear people say "I'm going to workout" it's "I'm going to do crossfit". I saw two dudes at the PX wear shirts that said "fran, helen, (some other chicks name on it)" and you could tell they just felt :smug:.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Ashmole posted:

You know, I like some of the crossfit workouts, but lately I've been getting a little tired of this cult-like mindset it's created. You don't hear people say "I'm going to workout" it's "I'm going to do crossfit". I saw two dudes at the PX wear shirts that said "fran, helen, (some other chicks name on it)" and you could tell they just felt :smug:.

I could go full sperg and wall-of-text the gently caress out of people about CultFit, but that sounds too much like giving a gently caress. Let me just say that a program focused on linear progression of the basic compounds with some assistance work added, combined with HIIT/sprint training and a day for Oly lifting (the way it's supposed to be done, low reps and heavy as gently caress) is going to trounce any CrossFit program (that's actually "true" to CrossFit). Badly.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Just depends on what your overall goal is. If you want to get a workout that will make you stronger at doing crossfit, capable of being "okay".. and I mean... mediocre at other sports, then crossfit isn't a bad way to go.

However, if you have the desire to do anything aside from crossfit (sports, body building, power lifting, olympic weight lifting) don't do crossfit.. Or do maybe one supplemental workout a week with it if you're not doing much HIIT anyways/strength training (such as cardio geeks like myself).

just my .02 cents on the subject matter.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Tysterisk posted:

I could go full sperg and wall-of-text the gently caress out of people about CultFit, but that sounds too much like giving a gently caress. Let me just say that a program focused on linear progression of the basic compounds with some assistance work added, combined with HIIT/sprint training and a day for Oly lifting (the way it's supposed to be done, low reps and heavy as gently caress) is going to trounce any CrossFit program (that's actually "true" to CrossFit). Badly.

I did crossfit for a while and it did smoke me, but I wasn't really progressing in anything. My PT scores and general fitness have shot up just doing bodyweight warm-up, 5x5, HIIT+the running I do for PT.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

MurderBot posted:

:words:

Pretty much nail on the head there, CrossFit's an amazing amount of pointless dick-waving without a whole lot of benefit compared to other stuff.

Ashmole posted:

I did crossfit for a while and it did smoke me, but I wasn't really progressing in anything. My PT scores and general fitness have shot up just doing bodyweight warm-up, 5x5, HIIT+the running I do for PT.

That's usually how it works. Heavy compounds for overall strength, one or two assistance lifts for a bit of volumetric work once you can handle more than just the compounds. Olympic lifts are the first and last word on training explosive power. Explosive power, according to the two essays I posted a couple of pages back from much more knowledgeable people than I, is extremely useful if you're an NFL linebacker or a soldier. Also mentioned in one of the two essays is the positive cost-benefit ratio of HIIT training versus traditional distance running. So combining compounds for strength, Oly lifting for snap power, and HIIT training for cardiovascular stamina is like the holy trinity of physical conditioning.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My problem with CF stems from the fact that the dudes who get into it become real loving douche bags about it. That's great to be enthusiastic about fitness but their behavior transcends into it CF being the best thing ever for anyone period.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

HeyEng posted:

My problem with CF stems from the fact that the dudes who get into it become real loving douche bags about it. That's great to be enthusiastic about fitness but their behavior transcends into it CF being the best thing ever for anyone period.

I felt like a bad rear end doing it at first because the workouts are so weird, but CF is so loving random. "Let's do uh...5 sets of back squats for, hmmm 2 reps each? OK that's today's WOD. Tomorrow, uh... 100 pull ups and 50 200lb power cleans for time" The emphasis on reps over form is also terrible for a fitness program aimed at a general population.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ashmole posted:

I felt like a bad rear end doing it at first because the workouts are so weird, but CF is so loving random. "Let's do uh...5 sets of back squats for, hmmm 2 reps each? OK that's today's WOD. Tomorrow, uh... 100 pull ups and 50 200lb power cleans for time" The emphasis on reps over form is also terrible for a fitness program aimed at a general population.

Yea, there's no real rhyme or reason to the WOD's.

So I've moved to a 5/3/1 recently. On the 2nd wave of the first cycle. It's a nice break to switch poo poo up where each big lift has it's own day. I do like finishing up the warm up, working sets, and accessory poo poo all within 45 minutes and having plenty of time to stretch out. Doing a loaded 5x5 sucked up a lot of time.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

^^^

First wave of the third cycle for me today. Deadlifted 5@290, 5@335, and 6@380. First time in a while that I've immediately felt them in my hamstrings and glutes. Having the entire weight room go quiet and stare was pretty funny, too. I'm pretty amped, on track to hit at least a 5 plate max deadlift by the time I ship end of August.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I use strstd.com to calculate my 5/3/1 routine. It can be a little off one way or another on projected 1RMs but it can still give you a general idea, in addition to it's calculator function.

Ashmole posted:

Yeah, I didn't feel like even touching the loving pants-on-head retardation involved in doing the most technique-based CNS-heavy lifts for time, with the most mind-bogglingly atrocious form imaginable. That plus the schizophrenic clusterfuck of programming or lack thereof inherent to "real" CrossFit just makes me cringe every time I think about it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tysterisk posted:

^^^

First wave of the third cycle for me today. Deadlifted 5@290, 5@335, and 6@380. First time in a while that I've immediately felt them in my hamstrings and glutes. Having the entire weight room go quiet and stare was pretty funny, too. I'm pretty amped, on track to hit at least a 5 plate max deadlift by the time I ship end of August.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I use strstd.com to calculate my 5/3/1 routine. It can be a little off one way or another on projected 1RMs but it can still give you a general idea, in addition to it's calculator function.

Yeah, I didn't feel like even touching the loving pants-on-head retardation involved in doing the most technique-based CNS-heavy lifts for time, with the most mind-bogglingly atrocious form imaginable. That plus the schizophrenic clusterfuck of programming or lack thereof inherent to "real" CrossFit just makes me cringe every time I think about it.

I use a spreadsheet that was posted in YLLS 5/3/1 thread. It's dead on accurate to what Wendler has in his book. I'm wanting to pull 500 lb by June 2013.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Tysterisk posted:

poo poo man, that's a great site.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
What's up guys, civilian lurker here, but I figured this is the best place to ask -

1. Next month I have a PT test as part of my town's firefighter app process. Looks pretty straightforward - sprint while carrying heavy things and bust down doors. Maybe even at the same time! Luckily I've spent a year plus spending all my spare time sprinting and lifting heavy things (see below), and honestly it doesn't sound terribly difficult because a lot of it's pass/fail, so I'm probably okay if I just keep on keeping on... anyone ever gone thru this process and have some particular insight for me, or something stupid I'd never think of?

2. This is potentially a goofy question, but bear with me. I'm hoping to go to OCS some time in the next couple years; I've been lifting and running like crazy for about 14 months, and I'm getting pretty big. I'd think it wouldn't matter as much if I wanted to be in finance or something, but if I get into OCS and don't gently caress up, I'll want a combat arms job. Obviously I'd back off the lifting if suddenly I'm too big to do a pushup or some poo poo, but 1. It hasn't happened yet and my run times are still improving from mediocre and 2. I'm guessing an actual fight is just a tad different from the PFT anyway. In short, how big are you infantry guys? Big lifts are good for everyone, sure, but at what point is a bunch of muscle more harmful than good for doing your job - when it finally makes you too slow?

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 11, 2012

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

nuncle jimbo posted:

In short, how big are you infantry guys? Big lifts are good for everyone, sure, but at what point is a bunch of muscle more harmful than good for doing your job - when it finally makes you too slow?

As long as you can pass an APFT, carry alot of weight and maintain a 13-15minute mile pace for road marches, and be able to carry weight and carry it for a very long time you'll be good.

I'm on the lean side. 5'9, 170 pounds and do mostly lifting with a bit of crossfit on the side and just started to add running 4+ miles three times a week into the mixture. It's a fine line to have decent cardio and being swole. I just realized the army will never allow me to be a big giant steroid looking freak and try to be a jack of all trades.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
There really is no standard size for infantry. My first roommate was 5'6" 140 and could do all the things kaliber mentioned. I was 6' <185 for most of my time enlisted. As far as being an officer is concerned, a bigger emphasis is put on the APFT for some reason, especially when compared to technically and tactically proficientcy. When going through any officer producing program, you PFT plays part into your class ranking, so getting the max score is good for getting your foot into the door.

Also once you get to the line it becomes a lot more difficult to keep muscle on as you spend chunks of your months in the field eating lovely and not lifting.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Man, I violated one of my rules by doing deadlifts on Monday. Had a run this morning and that DOMS was hitting my lower back hard.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So it just turned summer here, complete with crushing humidity. Man, I am NOT acclimated to the heat yet: my run was brutal.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

So it just turned summer here, complete with crushing humidity. Man, I am NOT acclimated to the heat yet: my run was brutal.

I got sunburned real bad on my 6mile run on Pearl Harbor/Hickam Air Base. Running on non Army bases are awesome because I can go shirtless

How hot is it where you're at right now?

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES
Anybody got any super-cool ruckmarching tips? Also, any tips on how to strengthen ones shin-bones so I don't have to run like a retard?

Nillerz fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 8, 2012

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nillerz posted:

Anybody got any super-cool ruckmarching tips? Also, any tips on how to strengthen ones shin-bones so I don't have to run like a retard?

Thick socks and squats. Not necessarily at the same time.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Go heavy when legs days brah.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Nillerz posted:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...1mk0JhTdw&pli=1

This is what SF uses as a guide for people preparing for selection. It's a pretty intense program but they have some good advice in there, too. Namely:

quote:

a. For forced marches, select boots that are comfortable and well broken-in (not worn out). Wear lightweight fatigues and thick socks (not newly issued socks). Army issue boots are excellent if fitted properly.
b. Utilize map and compass techniques whenever possible during forced march cross-country workouts.
c. Insoles specifically designed to absorb shock will reduce injuries.
d. Practice proper rucksack marching and walking techniques:
(1) Weight of body must be kept directly over feet, and sole of shoe must be flat on ground taking small steps at a steady pace.
(2) Knees must be locked on every step in order to rest muscles of the legs (especially when going uphill).
(3) When walking cross-country, step over and around obstacles; never step on them.
(4) When traveling up steep slopes, always traverse them; climb in zigzag pattern rather than straight up.
(5) When descending steep slopes, keep the back straight and knees bent to take up shock of each step. Dig in with heels on each step.
(6) Practice walking as fast as you can with rucksack. Do not run with a rucksack. When testing, you may have to trot to maintain time, but try not to do this during training, it may injure you.
(7) A good rucksack pace is accomplished by continuous movement with short breaks (5 minutes) every 6 to 8 miles.
(8) If you cannot ruckmarch, then do squats with your rucksack. (One hundred repetitions, five times or until muscle fatigues.)

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Nillerz posted:

Good socks and boots. Nice thick socks that fit well. That should be obvious but some people wear too big socks and they bunch up making hot spots. Make sure your boots actually fit well, and are nice and broken in.

Make sure your rucksack is loaded well. This is easier to gently caress up than wearing it wrong. If the weight is distributed all crazy like you're going to be very unhappy. Trust me don't be an idiot and have a ton of weight in a side pocket.

Also be six feet tall+

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Just bought a bicycle. Going to see how long I can avoid driving my truck. Which is going to get very difficult once I have to start traveling 13 miles to work once my R&R is over.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES

gleep glop posted:

be six feet tall+
Rog.

Has anyone heard anything about dousing your feet in Arrid XtraXtra Dry?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

smertrioslol posted:

Just bought a bicycle. Going to see how long I can avoid driving my truck. Which is going to get very difficult once I have to start traveling 13 miles to work once my R&R is over.

get ready for the rock hard most solid swole taint in your life

taint bro's 4 lyfe.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gleep glop posted:

Also be six feet tall+

My company commander couldn't have been more than 5'6" and still managed to fly on ruckmarches. The little dude had heart though because he kept carrying on a sub 15 min/mile pace even though his foot was visibly bleeding through his boot.

Shasta Cola
Jun 16, 2003

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery just mowing us all down.
Whenever I start a ruck, I get killer shin splints for about the first two miles before they go away. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this normal and I just have to deal with it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Shasta Cola posted:

Whenever I start a ruck, I get killer shin splints for about the first two miles before they go away. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this normal and I just have to deal with it.

It's not specific for rucking but toe raises will shore up most, if not all, shin splint issues.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Nillerz posted:

Rog.

Has anyone heard anything about dousing your feet in Arrid XtraXtra Dry?

I used to douse my feet in spray antiperspirant and put on a pair of thigh-high nylons under my socks. Totally eradicated hot spots/blisters, and made me feel sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

HeyEng posted:

It's not specific for rucking but toe raises will shore up most, if not all, shin splint issues.

Sit in a chair on an uncarpeted floor. lay a bath towel out in front of your feet lengthwise. Use your toes to reel in the towel. Repeat until you feel the burn in the muscles over your shinbones. Works like a charm.