Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
If I were the Skrulls and I were invading Earth, the person I would be most concerned about is Nick Fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Revol posted:

If I were the Skrulls and I were invading Earth, the person I would be most concerned about is Nick Fury.

Yes, but you can never be sure the Fury you kidnapped is the real one in the first place, so he's too hard to bodysnatch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AlternateNu posted:

Latest EMH was kickin' rad. Oddly enough, the first thing I thought when I saw this was another Skrull episode was whether they were going to bring in Super Skrull, but there he was.

The idea of getting Captain America to embrace the Skrull invasion seems kind of hokey, though. Why should they expect everyone else to go with the flow if he bows down to them? Its good to see Galactus officially floating out there as a possible threat, too. Too bad this show is getting axed early. There are so many more plot lines they could go with.

He is Captain America people listen to what he says. If he agrees with you then people will follow.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, if what I've just read is true, and one of Loeb's first calls as head of Marvel Animation/TV, was to redub Spider-Man's appearances in EMH with Bell, when Keaton did it originally, I'm back to hating him, from my usual mild ambivalence.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

OK, if what I've just read is true, and one of Loeb's first calls as head of Marvel Animation/TV, was to redub Spider-Man's appearances in EMH with Bell, when Keaton did it originally, I'm back to hating him, from my usual mild ambivalence.

Apparently Jonah and Betty (and probably Robby as well) were the same guys from Spec, but it was only Spider-Man that got dubbed.

loving Loeb man. I just started to notice "EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: JEPH LOEB" and when wsa the last time executive producer was ever given to someone who actually works on the show? Usually it is just people like Stan Lee who created the original idea as sort of an honorary title, but they don't do jack for the show or movie or whatever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nope, Exec in TV is usually the man/woman in charge of the show on a day-to-day basis.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Gaz-L posted:

Nope, Exec in TV is usually the man/woman in charge of the show on a day-to-day basis.

That's a supervising producer or a series producer. Usually an executive producer is not all that involved in day-to-day operations, but any important decisions have to be vetted by him/her, so the voice change would definitely be an EP-level decision.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, what? Goddammit. The sad part is that I'm not even mad, this is just the kind of bullshit I expect at this point.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

AlternateNu posted:

The idea of getting Captain America to embrace the Skrull invasion seems kind of hokey, though. Why should they expect everyone else to go with the flow if he bows down to them?

This did occur to me, too, but when I thought about it I saw two equally plausible explanations: [spoiler] One way is that real leadership quality is such a foreign concept to the Skrulls that they can't even grasp it, and instead of realizing that Cap has some specific skills that allow him to lead like that, they assume that people listen to him just because he has absolute authority. That's how their society works, after all, with the Skrull Queen and such.

The other possibility is that they did understand, and they were assuming that Skrull-Cap was a perfect enough copy that he'd be able to call on all of Steve Roger's leadership experience and skills and do just as good of a job as the real Cap would have. Hell, it's possible this might even have worked if the Avengers didn't intervene.[spoiler]

Either one of those works just about as well as the other, really.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
That's it for EMH.

http://www.marveltvnews.com/2012/06/06/avengers-emh-officially-cancelled-to-be-replaced-by-avengers-assemble/

quote:

Well it seems that the long running rumor for Avengers Earth’s Mightiest heroes cancellation, is a rumor no more! The cancellation has been confirmed by Marvel latest official Press(Print only):

” The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes” won’t be renewed for the 3rd Season. Marvel Animation will present their newly developed series “Marvel’s Avengers Assemble” in 2013.”

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh. Falcon? Not Black Panther, or Storm or Ms Marvel or... well, I guess it's supposed to tie into USM, so Cage is out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I get that it's designed to mesh with movie continuity more, but I'm gonna mourn the loss of Hawkeye's classic purple duds. Sure, it's a silly look, but it seems like there are less and less silly looks out there all the time, and garish costumes are one of my favorite parts of classic comics.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

TwoPair posted:

Ugh, I get that it's designed to mesh with movie continuity more, but I'm gonna mourn the loss of Hawkeye's classic purple duds. Sure, it's a silly look, but it seems like there are less and less silly looks out there all the time, and garish costumes are one of my favorite parts of classic comics.

Comics are for mature adults who have no need for goofy costumes except to reference them in some kind of sarcastic "wink wink" manner.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I was actually fine with USM version of Thor. Hell, it was pretty drat close to EMH version of Thor.

I'm sure everyone else will loving suck.

EDIT: Really surprised Wolverine isn't in Avengers: Assemble.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

I was actually fine with USM version of Thor. Hell, it was pretty drat close to EMH version of Thor.

I'm sure everyone else will loving suck.

EDIT: Really surprised Wolverine isn't in Avengers: Assemble.

But then why would anyone watch the inevitable X-Men cartoon?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If Wolverine can find the time to be in a billion comics at once he can surely find time to fit in two cartoons at the same time!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
And thus Marvel's first attempt at universe building in cartoons comes to an end. Thanks a lot Jeph Loeb.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

And thus Marvel's first attempt at universe building in cartoons comes to an end. Thanks a lot Jeph Loeb.

To be fair, the universe building was kind of stuck in neutral since the other show in the universe was canceled before EMH even aired.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGOb1MKVqsc

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Cliff Racer posted:

By cancelling a series so that they can do some actual universe building? The same thing that made their film series successful?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wish they would stop putting Black Widow in things, since she's such an uninteresting character and not even EMH could do a lot with her. Adding Ms. Marvel was such a great move and this, along with losing Janet, just seems like they're regressing, but gotta keep up with the movies, I guess.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 7, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Huh. Falcon? Not Black Panther, or Storm or Ms Marvel or... well, I guess it's supposed to tie into USM, so Cage is out.
This might be pointing to an introduction of Falcon to the movies, actually. (Alternately, realistically, it's just a reason to get a non-white person in the cartoon.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

This might be pointing to an introduction of Falcon to the movies, actually. (Alternately, realistically, it's just a reason to get a non-white person in the cartoon.)

I get that it's a diversity move (note all my other choices were either black or female), it's just an odd one, as Falcon's so tied to the Captain America stuff, and the rumour mill's turning about a Panther movie.

And I disagree about Widow being uninteresting, but much of what makes her interesting isn't going to be shown on a Saturday morning cartoon. Not like you can talk about her being a government assassin and the moral grey area of that on a kids' show.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

By cancelling a series so that they can do some actual universe building? The same thing that made their film series successful?

EMH was a follow on to Wolverine and the X-Men and fit those characters in from time to time, as well as putting in the Fantastic Four multiple times and other heroes in one episode high lights. But I guess that isn't "universe building" then?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I also thought that EMH was doing a pretty good job of universe building, seeing Tony Stark arguing with J. Jonah Jameson was incredibly fun and the sort of thing that I had hoped to see more of.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Starsnostars posted:

I also thought that EMH was doing a pretty good job of universe building, seeing Tony Stark arguing with J. Jonah Jameson was incredibly fun and the sort of thing that I had hoped to see more of.

It was strange to see the Bugle there, because previously a paper called "Excelsior" has been seen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

notthegoatseguy posted:

It was strange to see the Bugle there, because previously a paper called "Excelsior" has been seen.

Marvel got the rights back for Spider-man between season 1 and 2.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

I wish they would stop putting Black Widow in things, since she's such an uninteresting character and not even EMH could do a lot with her. Adding Ms. Marvel was such a great move and this, along with losing Janet, just seems like they're regressing, but gotta keep up with the movies, I guess.

Black Widow's a pretty good character and has been given interesting things recently with her last series and her inclusion in Winter Soldier. But I'm sure that Carol is in line next for both films and TV.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

notthegoatseguy posted:

New York has historically been able to support more than one newspaper.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Lobok posted:

New York has historically been able to support more than one newspaper.
If New York can be the home of the vast majority of Marvel superheroes, I don't think a few extra Newspapers are that much of a problem.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Cliff Racer posted:

EMH was a follow on to Wolverine and the X-Men and fit those characters in from time to time, as well as putting in the Fantastic Four multiple times and other heroes in one episode high lights. But I guess that isn't "universe building" then?

It's a follow up to Wolverine and the X-Men and I may be misremembering but it hasn't mentioned that show? Or the versus films? I know Wolverine and different X-Men have done background cameos but it hasn't done anything really other than "these people exist" which it's not as if a new show couldn't just do that.

Like as far as the new show is concerned you can already apply all that as Ultimate Spider-Man has had Doom, Galactus, The Frightful Four, Taskmaster and so on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'd be a lot more okay with that if Ultimate Spider-Man was less terrible.

Unless I missed a notice where it started being good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I'd be a lot more okay with that if Ultimate Spider-Man was less terrible.

Unless I missed a notice where it started being good.

After attempting to watch the most recent episode I think it has only become more terrible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To think, right now I could be watching one of the Scorpion or Hobgoblin episodes of Spectacular Spider-Man season three. The way they handled the Norman/Harry mystery of the Goblin was great and I had high hopes for how they were going to handle Hobgoblin. Even if they didn't keep the mystery aspect, a large part of the appeal of the original Hobgoblin stories was seeing one villain on his quest to get progressively more powerful and deadly. And I don't use the word "quest" lightly - in a videogame sense we got to see him seek out and find more loot, weapons, vehicles, henchmen, influence, and more superpower. That could have translated amazingly to a story arc across a season of TV.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 7, 2012

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Season 2 has had more characters show up and have roles in EMH compared to the background cameos in Season 1. I just hope the new Avengers cartoon is closer to how EMH is currently rather than Ultimate Spider-man because I really can't watch that show.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Endless Mike posted:

Alternate answer: It's a Jeph Loeb show, you've gotta fit a Sam in somewhere.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Chaltab posted:

If New York can be the home of the vast majority of Marvel superheroes, I don't think a few extra Newspapers are that much of a problem.

If you ask me all these newspapers are becoming a drat menace!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Well, X-Men: Evolution started out pretty bad but seasons 3-5 were actually really good.

So maybe we just have to put up with 2 seasons of poo poo from USM.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Teen Titans is coming back as Teen Titans Go with the original cast next year.

http://toynewsi.com/index.php?itemid=18781

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The premise reeks of Exec demands of the sort Cartoon Network was famous for last decade but I hope that once the series gets going the team will be able to take it in whichever direction they want.

• Locked thread