Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

HoldYourFire posted:

Speaking of Barrymore I saw him on "Come Dine With Me: Top 30" last night being an absolute oval office. How any of the other guests managed to restrain themselves from dropping zingers like "You think I'm a bad host? Well, at least there's no-one being raped to death upstairs." is beyond me.

When he was on Coach Trip, a few people did make a couple of swimming pool jokes at his expense. Oh Brendan. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

Come on, mate, I think we've all had enough of this. You're going to pin me to the wall for saying effectively there are core problems with much of the aboriginal community, such as drinking.

Do you think that perhaps they should be let go loose, Lew, cos they're of no further use?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

Do you think that perhaps they should be let go loose, Lew, cos they're of no further use?

I don't even understand what that means

Here you go

You can miss Home and Away this week.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tony Montana posted:

Here you go

Utterly pointless sun-umbrella, excellent.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Tony Montana posted:

The age of these films does not matter, because their subject matter is timeless and the presentation so earnest and devoid of modern trends and fashion.

I'm glad there is some cool stuff going on over there, but none of this is unique to Australian films. Mickolution mentioned Animal Kingdom which is really good but there are people making quality independent films in pretty much any country you care to name.

And no I don't watch Neighbours.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Al2001 posted:

I'm glad there is some cool stuff going on over there, but none of this is unique to Australian films. Mickolution mentioned Animal Kingdom which is really good but there are people making quality independent films in pretty much any country you care to name.

Very true. There are pros and cons to cheaper/more portable film equipment and every country is benefiting from it at the moment.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Does The Guard count as a British film?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

Does The Guard count as a British film?

Yes, but it's awful.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mickolution posted:

Yes, but it's awful.

It's fantastic.

Also, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I knew there was a big one missing from those mentioned so far.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I'm in the minority here, but I truly detested The Guard.

Tinker Taylor was fantastic, though.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
The Guard was amazing, what the hell, drat guy.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I think what annoyed me most about it was the dialogue. It seemed to be what an English person thinks Irish people talk like. Also, it had massive plotholes and relied far too much on "what won't he say/do" for it's humour.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Mickolution posted:

I think what annoyed me most about it was the dialogue. It seemed to be what an English person thinks Irish people talk like. Also, it had massive plotholes and relied far too much on "what won't he say/do" for it's humour.

It's how Irish people talk, in the same way any dialogue is how people talk. I've lived in that part of Ireland and it's fairly accurate, albeit slightly exaggerated.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk

Tony Montana posted:

Here you go

Why is it that the quality of this thread has taken a sharp nosedive ever since you've reared your bigoted head into it?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

Lucy Worsley said "Golly" without any irony and I swooned.

Get off she's mine.

Another excellent series from her. There's a fine art to making history programmes fun as well as educational, and her/her team are brilliant at it.

Also, her in the costumes? Yes please.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~
When is QI airing again? I know they are doing filming at the moment.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Double Happiness posted:

Why is it that the quality of this thread has taken a sharp nosedive ever since you've reared your bigoted head into it?

Bloody Abbos, innit. Or maybe it's the loving Lebs.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lingling posted:

When is QI airing again? I know they are doing filming at the moment.

September/October time at a guess, though I think they recorded later this year than they did last.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NaDy posted:

You should check out Kill List, British film that came out last year. If you like bad films, I'd recommend it if you haven't seen it already.

Fixed. Seriously, I don't know what anyone could see in that film.

Soaking of British TV though, I can't wait for the Euros to start later, if just to get the Queen's odious face off my TV for a few hours. For the past week, it's like I've just had a huge stamp in my house.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Handsome Dead posted:

Soaking of British TV though, I can't wait for the Euros to start later, if just to get the Queen's odious face off my TV for a few hours. For the past week, it's like I've just had a huge stamp in my house.

Yeah, it's almost as if there's been some sort of Royal celebration going on...

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mickolution posted:

Yes, but it's awful.

No way man, it's worth watching for Brendan Gleeson alone. Almost as good as In Bruges, which was great.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

No way man, it's worth watching for Brendan Gleeson alone. Almost as good as In Bruges, which was great.

Gleeson's a terrific actor, but the film just rubbed me the wrong way. In Bruges is brilliant though. It's strange really, I remember refusing to watch In Bruges because the trailer made it look awful, like some sort of poo poo screwball comedy. Then after around 6 months of people telling me how good it was, I decided to give it a go and watched it and loved it. Then The Guard came along and sort of was what In Bruges' trailer made it look like.

If you want to see a great Irish film (probably the best we've ever done, though it couldn't get a release at the time), check out Rocky Road To Dublin. I don't think a lot of people realise how bad this country was in the not too distant past.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
In case anyone wasn't aware, the directors of In Bruges and The Guard are brothers.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Heh it's strange, because I did exactly what Mickolution did regarding In Bruges. The trailer, and the fact that Colin Farrell was in it, made me think it'd be terrible. In the end I enjoyed it so much I ended up taking the wife to Bruges for a romantic trip, but really I wanted to walk round Bruges saying 'They're filming midgets!' in my best Irish accent all the time. Went up the Belfry, too, which was amazing. The price of beer, however, was not.

HoldYourFire posted:

In case anyone wasn't aware, the directors of In Bruges and The Guard are brothers.

I didn't know that. They've both made at least one film each that I love, anyway.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, it's almost as if there's been some sort of Royal celebration going on...

Oh, there was? That makes it totally OK.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Handsome Dead posted:

Watch it again, there's loads of foreshadowing and little bits you can pick up on. Ultimately it's not all up there on screen for you. I thought Kill List was the best British film since In Bruges (and that includes Attack The Block).

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Handsome Dead posted:

Oh, there was? That makes it totally OK.

It'll be worse when she pegs it. A dirge of TV programs about her life and how we're going to cope without her followed by a dirge of TV programs about the next monarch and will they live up to the responsibilities. Every celebrity will come out of the wood work to say what a wonderful person she is with one or two (probably Morrisey) becoming public enemies by saying something crass to rile people up. There'll be nothing on the news for a week but reactions to the death and people falling over themselves to decry the public enemies to make some sort of point. Some tabloids will provide a 12 page glossy magazine on the royal funeral half of which will be dedicated to Pippa's arse (even better if it's gotten worse, we can have before and after pics!) and then the Daily Mail will have an outrage about them obsessing over her arse reprinting in detail every picture just so you can really aroused enraged.

And then one year later we'll have back to back "A year without our Queen" and "A year into the new Monarch's reign" programs with a healthy dose of Will and Kate thrown in.

But on the bright side, we'll get at least a day off for it. :britain:

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Shelf Adventure posted:

It'll be worse when she pegs it. A dirge of TV programs about her life and how we're going to cope without her followed by a dirge of TV programs about the next monarch and will they live up to the responsibilities. Every celebrity will come out of the wood work to say what a wonderful person she is with one or two (probably Morrisey) becoming public enemies by saying something crass to rile people up. There'll be nothing on the news for a week but reactions to the death and people falling over themselves to decry the public enemies to make some sort of point. Some tabloids will provide a 12 page glossy magazine on the royal funeral half of which will be dedicated to Pippa's arse (even better if it's gotten worse, we can have before and after pics!) and then the Daily Mail will have an outrage about them obsessing over her arse reprinting in detail every picture just so you can really aroused enraged.

And then one year later we'll have back to back "A year without our Queen" and "A year into the new Monarch's reign" programs with a healthy dose of Will and Kate thrown in.

I think this man might actually be in charge of the country's media :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Don't forget chances are we'll have to put up with Charles having a funeral a few years later.

After this is all over I hope some hilarious person with no morals puts together a looping ten hour YouTube video of Diana, Queen Mothers and the Queens funeral with a flashy laser effect and dubstep of the funeral march playing in the background and then calls it the Royal Mourning Experince.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Wafflecop posted:

Watch it again, there's loads of foreshadowing and little bits you can pick up on. Ultimately it's not all up there on screen for you. I thought Kill List was the best British film since In Bruges (and that includes Attack The Block).

Yeah, I almost couldn't get through it because the domestic stuff at the start made me feel so uncomfortable. It was one of those films that I thought about for a few days afterwards.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I wish I could properly link The Daily Show's bit about the Jubilee from June 4th, but they are pretty locked down when it comes to video clips, and I have a feeling you won't be able to watch it in the UK. (It doesn't work here in Canada, but there it is for Americans and proxy-users, I suppose.)

Hey Comedy Central, you should hurry up and figure out that geographic limits are dumb and pointless and don't help to get you any more tv views/money/discourage piracy.

It was funny, though.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 8, 2012

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

After this is all over I hope some hilarious person with no morals puts together a looping ten hour YouTube video of Diana, Queen Mothers and the Queens funeral with a flashy laser effect and dubstep of the funeral march playing in the background and then calls it the Royal Mourning Experince.

I'd watch it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Perhaps looking at this as an outsider I didn't get bombarded with the whole thing as much as you guys did (we get all the UK tv channels, but there was nothing going on over here for it, obviously), but surely you can accept that the Jubilee is a pretty big deal, regardless of your politics on it, and is something that deserves the TV coverage it got. I'm not saying you have to agree with it, of course, but people do like the Royal family and things like weddings, funerals and anniversaries are always going to be big news.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Mickolution posted:

Perhaps looking at this as an outsider I didn't get bombarded with the whole thing as much as you guys did (we get all the UK tv channels, but there was nothing going on over here for it, obviously), but surely you can accept that the Jubilee is a pretty big deal, regardless of your politics on it, and is something that deserves the TV coverage it got. I'm not saying you have to agree with it, of course, but people do like the Royal family and things like weddings, funerals and anniversaries are always going to be big news.

We had four days of that rubbish, going on for hours at a time, and it completely dominated all news coverage too - the plane crash in Nigeria was, at one point fourth in the running order. I don't think you got an impression of how all-encompassing this was.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Jonnty posted:

We had four days of that rubbish, going on for hours at a time, and it completely dominated all news coverage too - the plane crash in Nigeria was, at one point fourth in the running order. I don't think you got an impression of how all-encompassing this was.

Seriously, I left the country to get away from it.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Mickolution posted:

Yeah I don't think resentment about the jubilee has too much to do with anti-monarchism per se, you just get nauseated with such a horrendous amount of dreary crap about it on every channel and in every newspaper all day long.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Shelf Adventure posted:

Jesus Christ this country depresses me.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
It was four or five days out of your entire life. Everyone who moaned could have just not watched or paid attention to any of it. I paid no attention to any of it and it wasn't hard.

My wife watched nearly all of it, though, and that means I get to watch every Euro2012 match in full. :getin:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

stickyfngrdboy posted:

means I get to watch every Euro2012 match in full. :getin:

Shame I can't afford to leave Europe while that poo poo is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The Euros are excellent and bring the country together well imho.

E: You loving miserable oval office.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 8, 2012