Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Inverse Icarus posted:

We are playing two entirely different games.

Agreed, i've run encounters with a single wizard and a few meat shields vs my player party of 6, and as long as they aren't undead/evil (so the paladin doesn't do ridiculous damage) and had the encounter take over 5 turns. Yeah a couple party members aren't optimised, but a couple lucked out into being death machines.

So if the increasing-in-power villain I want to create has some tough minions and maybe some form of teleport, the combat can take much longer then 1-3 rounds.

I am surprised there is no class out there that gets better as the day passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Personally, I've found that the higher you go in level, the fewer rounds it takes to determine a victor, even if the caster's turn might take half an hour, and the fight is immediately followed by several rounds of wandering around and murdering blind/stunned/sleeping foes.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

kannonfodder posted:

Agreed, i've run encounters with a single wizard and a few meat shields vs my player party of 6, and as long as they aren't undead/evil (so the paladin doesn't do ridiculous damage) and had the encounter take over 5 turns. Yeah a couple party members aren't optimised, but a couple lucked out into being death machines.

So if the increasing-in-power villain I want to create has some tough minions and maybe some form of teleport, the combat can take much longer then 1-3 rounds.

I am surprised there is no class out there that gets better as the day passes.

Last week our party fought a single Wizard with a Climb Speed in an encounter that lasted well over 3 hours real-time. Between Hideous Laughter taking out our main damage dealer and Silent Image/Flaming Sphere spreading out and isolating the party, nothing could be done about killing the rear end in a top hat.

When he finally ran out of spells he ended up using a Wand of Web to trap us in a room and obfuscate his escape. The worst part was that we didn't even get to kill him - the Rival party we were trying to beat to the ancient ruins got to cutscene kill him (in an incredibly smug, 'your owl animal companion spots the Wizard and your rival party fighting - they dispose of him quickly and take all his items').

My DM is a prick and never even noticed that none of us were enjoying that loving slog of a fight, but the bitching should be reserved for the proper thread.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

My DM is a prick and never even noticed that none of us were enjoying that loving slog of a fight, but the bitching should be reserved for the proper thread.

I've thrown many extra enemies into a combat, and even boosted the stats of them, and my party has been enjoying it. Quite a few are table-top wargame veterans, so they like rolling damage. Even the characters that don't do that much damage (the thief when he can no longer sneak attack) still likes the longer combats since they have so many things they can do in a turn. Of course if the combat turns into an uninteresting slog (there is no way the party can lose, taking too long, etc) I'll find ways of wrapping things up quickly.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So pertaining to my TWF Ranger, I was confused about some of the wording. Specifically, in the combat section, as well as under the TWF feat itself, it says:
    "If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon."
I read this to mean "once per round, anytime you attack" (which is how I remember it working in 3.5 -- basically like Flurry of Blows) but our DM says you only get your off-hand attack on a full-attack action :confused:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

P.d0t posted:

So pertaining to my TWF Ranger, I was confused about some of the wording. Specifically, in the combat section, as well as under the TWF feat itself, it says:
    "If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon."
I read this to mean "once per round, anytime you attack" (which is how I remember it working in 3.5 -- basically like Flurry of Blows) but our DM says you only get your off-hand attack on a full-attack action :confused:

Your DM's wrong about that, it means any attack.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Idran posted:

Your DM's wrong about that, it means any attack.

I disagree. You only get your one main-hand (or off hand if you want) attack unless you make a full round.

Pathfinder Core Rulebook wrote:
Multiple Attacks: A character who can make more than one attack per round must use the full-attack action (see Full-Round Actions) in order to get more than one attack.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
^^^ I think that's only intended to mean "when you have a high enough BAB to give you additional attacks"

It'd be a huge nerf to the TWF feat chain if you can only benefit from it on full attacks, IMHO.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Anyone have any advice or resources as to balancing home-brew feats, races, class archetypes, etc.?

I know Advanced Race Guide hits soon for races, but I'm wondering about general guidelines of damage per round per level, etc. For the obvious responses, yes, I know PF isn't perfectly balanced as it is, but there've still got to be some general guidelines.

Working on a small campaign player's guide for a setting with some new races, racial feats, and class archetypes.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

P.d0t posted:

^^^ I think that's only intended to mean "when you have a high enough BAB to give you additional attacks"

It'd be a huge nerf to the TWF feat chain if you can only benefit from it on full attacks, IMHO.

Yeah that is pretty much it, TWF is pretty weak because of the way multiple attacks works in 3.5/Pathfinder. I think there was a discussion about it just a few pages earlier saying that archery gets around that but is countered by a level 3 spell.

quote:

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough (see Base Attack Bonus in Classes), because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon, or for some special reason, you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Full-Attack

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

P.d0t posted:

TWF is only supposed to apply on full attacks, and this is literally the first time I have ever heard anyone say otherwise, unless they're houseruling to fix stupid balance issues (which is reasonable). There's a reason why TWF often isn't worth the feat commitment.

Full attack rules:

quote:

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough (see Base Attack Bonus in Classes), because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon, or for some special reason, you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks. You do not need to specify the targets of your attacks ahead of time. You can see how the earlier attacks turn out before assigning the later ones.

Unless you are full attacking, it is impossible to get more than one attack in your turn (unless you have pounce or something), regardless of what weapon or weapon combination that you're using.

That said, unless you're doing society or something, play it in whatever way your GM is okay with and which is the most fun.

e:f,b

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

P.d0t posted:

Ahahahahahahahahaha

Funny story!

Welcome to why TWF is so heavily looked down on.

Well, one of the reasons.

TWF is typically inaccurate, time consuming (in that you MUST full attack and your offhand is effectively worthless unless you do so), and to add insult to injury, usually does garbage damage since you lose so many modifiers compared to two hand fighting.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Hey guys I've got a solution.
Make full attacks a standard action.
There you go.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

zachol posted:

There you go.

Urgh, I think I'd rather not have my players using Death or Glory and moving in the same turn. I want to play a game with a bit of a challenge.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Karandras posted:

Urgh, I think I'd rather not have my players using Death or Glory and moving in the same turn. I want to play a game with a bit of a challenge.

I mean obviously you'd have to let wizards get multiple spells per round too.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

zachol posted:

There you go.

This counterintuitively enough, screws melee PCs pretty hard. Monsters absolutely go up in their offensive output, and they get far more attacks than melee dudes.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

zachol posted:

I mean obviously you'd have to let wizards get multiple spells per round too.

Why? They only need to cast one to end the encounter.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
What if I added a paragraph to the Two-Weapon Fighting feat that states if you move and attack, you can attack once with both weapons? Would that make TWF slightly less bad? It'd be like a poor man's pounce.

Speaking of which, I want to make Pounce a feat. You know, one that can be taken by characters. Should it have a base attack bonus prerequisite of +6 so warrior-types can take it as soon as they get their second attack, or should it be higher?

Or should I expand it into a whole feat chain for second, third, and fourth attacks -- or would that just be considered a Fun Tax?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Are you giving it to monsters? If it is just players then it'll help bridge the gap between two weapon fighting and power attacking with a two-hander but that isn't really a big problem with the system.

If you're giving it to monsters then all their natural attacks will be hilarious.

If you're just going to do a Pounce feat then a BAB requirement is probably a good idea if you want your full BAB fighter guys to get the advantages before your rogues do but that is up to you.

Why're you wanting to add it in the first place? Is it a specific issue in your group? Depending on how you do it it'll probably benefit sneak attack people the most but if you've got a two weapon fighter in your group who is feeling left out then go ahead.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Karandras posted:

Why're you wanting to add it in the first place? Is it a specific issue in your group? Depending on how you do it it'll probably benefit sneak attack people the most but if you've got a two weapon fighter in your group who is feeling left out then go ahead.

Those are a couple reasons, yeah, but I'm also experimenting with houserules to try and make non-magical combat a bit more exciting.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

veekie posted:

This counterintuitively enough, screws melee PCs pretty hard. Monsters absolutely go up in their offensive output, and they get far more attacks than melee dudes.

I'd houserule it as players-only or roll it into the melee classes' 1st-level ability lists. That also slightly de-craps the monk and gets rogues more consistent sneak-attack instagibs.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Note that a pounce feat would make the Scout Rogue Archetype extremely nasty.

Honestly I haven't even looked at it to see how it would stack up with other classes with pounce, but it is the first thing that came to mind.

Also, how would this work with lance charges. Could you make iterative attacks with your Pounce and have them all doing double (triple with Spirited Charge) damage? Could you do this, and then Ride-by-Attack to let your horse pounce or overrun as well?

I'm not saying either of these would be overpowered or whatever, but they might be worth being aware of.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm thinking about creating an Elf Barbarian. To offset the low CON, I would take up the Savage Barbarian archetype and max out my DEX as much as possible. I'd swing an Elven Curve blade and stack on top Improved Crit so I can get a whopping 16-20 crit range :black101:. Any thoughts? Any feats/traits/rage powers/etc. I should pick up to max out my AC?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Huh. I've been using TWF wrong ever since I played 3.5, I guess. Sorry for the false correction, then.

Also, another route might be saying full attacks are standard actions for manufactured weapons?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

veekie posted:

I always just added pounce to the feat list with the pre-req of being able to make multiple melee attacks and give it to rangers for free.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Fighters etc. obviously already get shat on and it's not going to make them "even," but simply saying "players are pretty awesome and can take a full attack as a standard action (monsters don't get this)" at least makes it a little more interesting. The point is to let them use their move action to do something as well.
I don't really like "give them pounce," because that only applies to charges. You want it so they're moving around every round, not just closing the first and then sitting there full attacking. Or you get this thing where they focus on making their charge super amazing and do nothing but charge each round which feels dumb.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I find the fighter as it stands to be lackluster because every fighter is pretty much the same, whereas wizards can be vastly different from one another. We all know it's not balanced as it is, and doesn't even stand up to most fantasy tropes (seriously, in what book does the fighter get scared and run from the dragon instead of charging it head on? I haven't read it yet.), and frankly the fighter's +1 to hit is really not worth the bonuses that wizard/sorcerer bloodlines give.

So I was wondering about possibly putting in fighter 'schools' of training, such as with a rapier, or with sword and cloak, etc. This is not an archetype, just another form of training to kind of set them apart and put fighters in a more historical context, etc.

I rewrote a lot of the system for a home game I DMed recently (trying to balance out spellcasting with martial classes, giving each class one or two free archetypes, playing with special abilities, etc) and while it did work to balance everything a lot more, it was still a real fuckload of house rules and I'd rather see if it's possible to stick to the core book and only change a class or two.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

grah posted:

Note that a pounce feat would make the Scout Rogue Archetype extremely nasty.

Also, how would this work with lance charges. Could you make iterative attacks with your Pounce and have them all doing double (triple with Spirited Charge) damage? Could you do this, and then Ride-by-Attack to let your horse pounce or overrun as well?

Yeah, pouncing with a lance means you get them all doing the bonus damage and, yeah, something that can apply sneak-attack is going to get the most mileage out of pounce as a feat.

zachol posted:

Fighters etc. obviously already get shat on and it's not going to make them "even," but simply saying "players are pretty awesome and can take a full attack as a standard action (monsters don't get this)" at least makes it a little more interesting. The point is to let them use their move action to do something as well.

Yeah pounce is the quick and lazy option and does really encourage charger type things rather than just being a bit more mobile.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Anyone tried the new AP yet? Specifically, I want to know whether or not a party of 3 gestalt characters will be able to do it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Anyone tried the new AP yet? Specifically, I want to know whether or not a party of 3 gestalt characters will be able to do it.
Our group has just started it. It's really slow-paced at first but once you get over the initial hump it picks up a lot. It also requires a surprisingly large amount of initiative (player-wise, not the Initiative stat) from level 1 characters.

I don't really know what the gently caress a gestalt character is, but based on a googling, it looks like a multi-class where you take the best features from both classes with no discernible downsides. So, I expect they'd probably be able to handle it better than normal characters would.

e: Just make sure they've got the player guide so they know to pick appropriately pirate-y skills. If you're DMing, maybe let them co-ordinate their level 1 skill selection since it turns out to be very important (also let them know that it will be important, this is not the place to throw away a point into a random crafting skill for flavor). I've never played any campaign that required this many skill checks so early on, though thankfully paizo didn't set the DCs to anything unreasonably high like they did with some things in the Carrion Crown AP.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 10, 2012

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
Are you guys familiar with GMs making rules against the leadership feat? There was a long discussion on this at my weekly game the other night, where one of the players spoke out against the feat as being over the top. The GM seemed on the fence at the beginning, but was eventually convinced by the other player to say "No leadership."

Have you guys made any houserules to tone down the cohort to something a bit more acceptable for the group? Any suggestions on running cohorts and followers in and out of combat without slogging the process down for everyone else? Is this other player suffering from a "no one can have more fun than me" attitude?

To make clear the story situation, I have been playing a cleric that buffs/heals and rarely if ever swings a weapon in combat. For storyline purposes I was looking to establish a temple for the pantheon in a new settlement, and populate it with my followers.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Beach posted:

Are you guys familiar with GMs making rules against the leadership feat? There was a long discussion on this at my weekly game the other night, where one of the players spoke out against the feat as being over the top. The GM seemed on the fence at the beginning, but was eventually convinced by the other player to say "No leadership."

Have you guys made any houserules to tone down the cohort to something a bit more acceptable for the group? Any suggestions on running cohorts and followers in and out of combat without slogging the process down for everyone else? Is this other player suffering from a "no one can have more fun than me" attitude?

To make clear the story situation, I have been playing a cleric that buffs/heals and rarely if ever swings a weapon in combat. For storyline purposes I was looking to establish a temple for the pantheon in a new settlement, and populate it with my followers.

It's an action economy thing mixed with a utility problem. For one feat, you get to take at least two turns to everyone else's one, and you'll take a caster for your cohort so it will be a long turn and your little minion will be better than the fighter/rogue/anything but a caster. Higher charisma and levels make it get out of control quickly, as you can essentially travel with an army. Even though they're level-5, some can be casters that only memorize buff spells for you or utility spells so you won't need to waste your own resources for them.

Essentially Leadership is an extra turn every round mixed with a few hundred wands of low level utility spells that you didn't have to pay for.

Edit: Leadership in the context that you describe works fine, populating a village or temple with people that are loyal to you. But in practice, it's just waiting to be broken and it's usually outlawed.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

It's an action economy thing mixed with a utility problem. For one feat, you get to take at least two turns to everyone else's one, and you'll take a caster for your cohort so it will be a long turn and your little minion will be better than the fighter/rogue/anything but a caster. Higher charisma and levels make it get out of control quickly, as you can essentially travel with an army. Even though they're level-5, some can be casters that only memorize buff spells for you or utility spells so you won't need to waste your own resources for them.

Essentially Leadership is an extra turn every round mixed with a few hundred wands of low level utility spells that you didn't have to pay for.

Edit: Leadership in the context that you describe works fine, populating a village or temple with people that are loyal to you. But in practice, it's just waiting to be broken and it's usually outlawed.

Thanks, yea I did a bit more reading and I am starting to see how it can get out of hand.

These modified rules seem like they might be a good way to go: http://paizo.com/products/btpy8pkq?Bullet-Points-2-Options-for-the-Leadership-Feat

quote:

Rather than gain a single cohort and a slew of followers who go adventuring with you, the Leadership feat gives you access to three skilled characters (an artificer, a healer, and a sage) who are willing allies and associates, but explicitly unable or unwilling to risk their lives on front-line adventuring.

How It Works: The character with Leadership is considered to have a small team of supporters supporting him from a safe location (be that a friendly city, a guild hall, a king’s court, a pirate’s ship, a traveler’s caravan, or the character’s own stronghold). Access to these characters allows the character to have spells cast, magic items created, and research performed – but only when he can make it back to their safe location.

I am personally not a super min max player, so I was looking at it from a story line perspective, but I can see how it can be exploited.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Why not talk with your DM about what you want to do and see if you can work out a way to build your temple and fill it with followers without taking leadership?

Basically it would just be a building for you and the party to rest in, knowing that the people around you won't kill you in your sleep. It also provides the DM a way to funnel you information, and/or anything else that he needs to send your way, without having an army of followers/cohorts trailing behind the party.

Doesn't every cleric start a church as a front eventually anyway? Mine always seem to...

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

More than that, its a LOT of management work. You need to establish if you know all these people, where they are, what they compose of...and thats not even touching the imbalancing aspects of having a cohort along.

I'd personally favor doing followers Exalted style personally. One feat/background establishing that yes, you Have People, and leaving them otherwise generic until needed.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

On the subject of the "Skull & Shackles" AP: Our group is still planning on running it in the near future (and I get crazy coming up with character ideas. loving pirates, man. :v: ). How well do you suppose a Druid, specifically an Urban Druid archetype, would hold up? It seems like the focus of that is far more fitting to a roleplay-heavy "piratey" adventure, rather than something set deep in the wilderness.

My intention mechanically is still to serve up support and control, as others will be playing far more offense-oriented (thus far confirmed is a Fighter and a Ninja...a Pathfinder Goblin Ninja, at that). But, in fortuitous relation to the Leadership discussion currently going on: I'm considering selecting the "Nobility" domain. At level 8, this grants Leadership, and it seems very intuitive to use this feat to help bolster the crew of a ship.

The alternative is to play a Cleric of Besmara, which I understand also has specific hooks for that AP, but the spin the above idea puts on Druid makes it tempting simply for the roleplaying aspect.

v

Inverse Icarus posted:

Turns were going slower. Eventually, the DM decided that every character got 10 seconds to say what they were going to do, and if they didn't spit something out, they delayed. When that still wasn't enough, he decided that players got 10 seconds, split between the characters he controls (including summoned monsters). He's not too strict on the time limits unless someone starts delaying the game too much.

I honestly like this idea, as slow combat rounds are a constant issue in our games. When I run, I don't like laying down the law too hard, but it seems like it'd be for the best when your people have a tendency to overthink things.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 12, 2012

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
In the only high-level PF game I've played in, my DM ruled that we could recruit NPCs, but not create our own. So we couldn't make a high-CHA sorcerer with buff spells, min-max them to all hell or anything like that, but if we encountered one, we could recruit them. They'd have randomly rolled stats, and all their feats, etc were chosen by the DM (somewhat randomized, but feats were chosen to somewhat make sense.) After that, we could customize them when they leveled.

He said that if we wanted a certain type of cohort, that we could let him know and he'd mix one in to the adventure, but that never came up.

We're playing in Rise of the Runelords and my Monk recruited Jakardros, the Human Ranger, and my friend recruited Scarecrow, the flesh golem with a hat of disguise.

We did run into two issues, even with that house rule.

Turns were going slower. Eventually, the DM decided that every character got 10 seconds to say what they were going to do, and if they didn't spit something out, they delayed. When that still wasn't enough, he decided that players got 10 seconds, split between the characters he controls (including summoned monsters). He's not too strict on the time limits unless someone starts delaying the game too much.

The other player is that one player seemed to get "jealous" that two of us had essentially got ourselves two characters, with two very different skill sets. This player in particular was playing a really badly optimized Druid/Barbarian mix, and even being 2 levels lower, the Ranger NPC I recruited was outclassing him when it came to damage dealing. We dealt with this by telling him to shut up or take the feat himself, which was probably less elegant a solution than we could have gone with.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

Mazed posted:

The alternative is to play a Cleric of Besmara, which I understand also has specific hooks for that AP, but the spin the above idea puts on Druid makes it tempting simply for the roleplaying aspect.

Be sure to check out the additional Besmara stuff that was put out specifically for that AP, including extra traits and spells for Besmara followers. Things like "Black Spot" and the ability to raise an undead skeleton crew to man the ship :black101:

Mazed posted:

On the subject of the "Skull & Shackles" AP: Our group is still planning on running it in the near future (and I get crazy coming up with character ideas. loving pirates, man. :v: ). How well do you suppose a Druid, specifically an Urban Druid archetype, would hold up? It seems like the focus of that is far more fitting to a roleplay-heavy "piratey" adventure, rather than something set deep in the wilderness.

Here are the specific archetypes of druid that were recommended in the AP players guide (which is free from paizo):

Aquatic Druid
Tempest Druid
Shark Shaman
Storm Druid

I am all set up to run this, but I am having the hardest time getting anyone who will commit to even once or twice a month :(

Beach fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 12, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Beach posted:

Be sure to check out the additional Besmara stuff that was put out specifically for that AP, including extra traits and spells for Besmara followers. Things like "Black Spot" and the ability to raise an undead skeleton crew to man the ship :black101:

That's a big draw. I'm feeling the flavor of Druid-of-the-Sea, but on the other hand, it almost seems wrong not to play something that the material has very special content for.

I know the AP probably doesn't go all the way to where we've got 9th level spells, but the opportunity to cast "Salvage" (raise a wreck clear up from the depths and restore it completely, all Davey Jones style) shouldn't be missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

I'm not going to spoil anything for you, but there will be pleanty of opportunities for a druid to shine in the AP, even right from the very beginning. In fact, the whole first part of the adventure is so skill check heavy that you will want to talk beforehand with the other players and everyone should choose a role they want to fill on the ship and then plan their skills for that role. So really you can't go too wrong in your class choice.