Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
one more from Will Laren lmao

Erotic Crab
Oct 16, 2004

*BBRRRR* It's cold in here!
holy poo poo, i've been wondering who made this for the longest time

elephants on acid
Mar 1, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tdmaEhMHE

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
WTF!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:

goferchan posted:

one more from Will Laren lmao

TC_ fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 8, 2012

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
those comics are all pretty good

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

thank you

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
that guy looks like hes really good at bass

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
yeah he used to play with jay reatard

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

Small Talk
Jun 12, 2007

Hold on to your butts...

goferchan posted:

Yea, yea, we get it, honor killings are terrible :rolleyes:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/414fa4b226/the-wire-the-musical-with-michael-kenneth-williams this is really well-done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLm5Sn1cMyQ

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

wtf can i acutally go to school and major in "lazer"??

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

swamp waste posted:

that guy looks like hes really good at bass

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

TB-303 Player
Dec 3, 2008

BOOTS and PANTS and
BOOTS and PANTS and

i don't even need to say it

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Spudnewt
Mar 5, 2005
Batman touched my junk liberally.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

those comics are all pretty good

those are the kind of comics i would make if i made comicx because i cant draw the same person the same way twice

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Is there a certain word other than comic for "picture with some fumny words on it" ? Mcsweneys (I know I know I know) did an addendum in one issue that was a book full o these things and it was great. Duchamp or something was cited as 1 of the earliest examples

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
What's wrong with McSweenys?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I dont really think anything is but , well, a LOT of hipsters post on here and.....'nuff said.

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
I read mcsweenys sometimes. we can be mcsweenys buds

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

goferchan posted:

I dont really think anything is but , well, a LOT of hipsters post on here and.....'nuff said.

hipsters, gross:

SybilVimes posted:

It's a hipster thing, where they all meet up and play with super soakers as if they were 4, which coincidentally, is the mental age of most hipsters.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Maybe (almost definitely) someone can put it better than me but in my experience McSweeney's is one of those things where a large group of people only have exposure to that particular thing in that classification of things. Like someone says they're really into reading modern short fiction but literally the only examples they can give are are from the pages of that particular publication-- so a certain stigma against that particular thing, might develop. Or maybe literally nobody does this and this is just me projecting my resentments of my highschool self onto an imaginary majority??

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Like if someone says theyre really into rap and u push for specifics and the only album they can cite is 36 Chambers and u know they are a racist.

Pizza Dude
Feb 22, 2011
im that dude with everything.

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
Maybe it's because I write but I'm happy anytime someone says they read at all and can name material that (a) isn't pop lit and (b) wasn't originally written for preteens. I don't even care what your medium of choice is (novels, short prose, poetry, whatever), if you're reading even one inch off the beaten path that is a good thing. While we're on the topic, if you like short fiction check out Tin House. One Story has its moments too, but their stories are generally less imaginative. Both subscriptions cost $25.

I see where you're coming from in general, though. I really think that's why so many people hate Skrillex; he's really just like anyone else who overproduces the poo poo out of dubstep, but so many people listen to one of his albums and are suddenly PhDs in dubstep it gives him a bad name.

Kind of sucks for those people \ things that get groups like that though, in most cases they didn't do anything but end up on the receiving end of a lot of poo poo

TC_ fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 10, 2012

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

TC_ posted:

What's wrong with McSweenys?

Like TC_ wrote, I think short fiction is "off the beaten path" for some people because it seems esoteric or snooty- and to be fair, Eggers and Vowell and that crowd can give off those vibes.

Too bad too. There's not a lot of comedic prose floating around; I'd say McSweeney's and The New Yorker's Shouts & Murmurs section are some of the few places where you can regularly read good, Funny Stories.

e: David Sedaris is not funny, just mildly amusing and makes you force air out your mouth in not-quite-a-laugh, sounds like: "herm"

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 10, 2012

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
May contain: weed

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!

I like how their decaf Arnold Palmer doesn't even have a name, it's just "half tea half lemonade"

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
I've seldom met anyone who thought anything about short fiction. Even my super lit snob friends stick mostly to novels. I wouldn't even say they're disinterested, it's like it's never even occurred to them that it's an option to seek it out on its own and not happen across it in the New Yorker or whatever

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
my debut novel is about a middle class white kid who grows up in a quiet east coast suburb and

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
...post on this forum

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
seriously though no one should be allowed to publish a novel before theyve written a minimum of 1k pages of short stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
no one should be allowed to do much really.

• Locked thread