Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Right, because switching the king and queen was how he pulled off a victory, even when it seemed like he had lost, and this was the only time he had ever overcome constant and inevitable defeat.

The white side, which always loses, might snatch a victory from an apparent defeat, by switching the king and queen. And the queen has the scepter. Which normally the king has. But now they've switched places. And they always lose. But when kings and queens switch places, they win.

So.

That's probably what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

voting third party posted:

uu "doing things" to the dead pieces seems like it's meant to be particularly ominous, if they do symbolize dead characters.

uu is actually Gamzee.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Starmaker posted:

Right, because switching the king and queen was how he pulled off a victory, even when it seemed like he had lost, and this was the only time he had ever overcome constant and inevitable defeat.

The white side, which always loses, might snatch a victory from an apparent defeat, by switching the king and queen. And the queen has the scepter. Which normally the king has. But now they've switched places. And they always lose. But when kings and queens switch places, they win.

So.

That's probably what's going on.

Yeah, in hindsight it seems pretty obvious. The Reckoning is initiated when the White King falls and Derse claims the sceptre, and since the Reckoning is normally a vital and necessary condition of the stable time loops that start the game Prospit has to lose. But since B2 does not have a proper Reckoning of its own, it's no longer necessary for Prospit to lose at all.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh hell, that chess game probably just laid out like the whole plot of the rest of the comic in such a way as will only be obvious in retrospect. I lack the wherewithal to do all the matching up work, but I look forward to the masterful Tumblr conspiracy post explaining the gradual loss of pieces/players.

I still have no idea why these guys (or this guy) is in the story. Lord English is the villain and he's already had his harbinger (in Doc Scratch), his powerful chief minion (in the Condesce), as well as the mid-game boss that's just got a fraction of his power (Bec Noir). I don't get what roll Calmasis over here is meant to play or where they fit except extremely ominous foreshadowing machine.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yeah, in hindsight it seems pretty obvious. The Reckoning is initiated when the White King falls and Derse claims the sceptre, and since the Reckoning is normally a vital and necessary condition of the stable time loops that start the game Prospit has to lose. But since B2 does not have a proper Reckoning of its own, it's no longer necessary for Prospit to lose at all.

Right, Prospit has to lose so the Reckoning can occur and thus establish stable timeloops, but like the Pre-Scratch troll ancestors, the post-scratch kids never actually created themselves and thus need no timeloops. In other words, this is the only time Prospit can win. I don't really know what exactly a victory for them would mean, or even what entails a victory now that the battlefield is blown up, but I think it's probably a good thing. Prospit's pretty chill.

And Dolash, I agree. This update is absolutely pregnant with meaning. Full-on octomom in there. We're not really going to be able to figure out anything from it yet, although that won't stop the theory-mills...

Wait a minute...

Homestuck posted:

UU: the knight is dead.
UU: yoUr goose is cooked.
UU: the knight is dead.
UU: your serpents are lost.

Oh god! We still have two knights left, Dave and Karkat. Oh god!

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Hahaha, I didn't think about it the first time we saw the update but the CotL cover has green chess pieces on it.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Boneless Jogger posted:

Hahaha, I didn't think about it the first time we saw the update but the CotL cover has green chess pieces on it.

In that page it says that zazzerpan had a reputation for being unbeatable, until calmasis managed to win depite having his/her king taken, So UU is zazzerpan, and uu is calmasis?

What do we know about complacency of the learned? Wasn't it written by rose as a direct 'gently caress you' to lord english and the condense? maybe the session which uu and UU play will exist for the express purpose of defeating lord engligh.

We know that there's at least one other character in it called frigglish, who roxy named her cat after, and will probably end up being another character (another player?) in uu and UU's game. Also in that one page, the character from the book was holding doc scratch's white cueball gun, which was last seen being hurled at lord english's face. Hussie said that this gun was the only thing able to kill lord english... more evidence that uu and/or UU will go on to be the ones to kill lord english?

since the plot of cotl is mostly based on calmasis killing all the characters, uu is going to maybe go on to do a lot of killing?

but what does it all MEAN?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Hey guys remember when I used to make Homestuck fan music?

Well I was feeling sorta bad that my last bit of (actually posted) Homestuck fanmusic was like a month ago, so I dusted off an older song I was holding onto for who knows why and threw it onto Tumblr. Enjoy!

The Age of English

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of that Lord English closeup avatar I had before, do they? I don't seem to have saved my copy.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

Bobulus posted:

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of that Lord English closeup avatar I had before, do they? I don't seem to have saved my copy.

SA keeps old avatars. You can see it by manipulating the URL of your current avatar.

Also, these recent updates really make me want to learn chess. I know how the pieces move, but I am totally clueless as to how strategy works in that game.

Otherwise, the UU/uu drama is interesting but I want to see more action happen in b2 universe. When do the rest of the kids get into the game!?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

PlesantDilemma posted:

SA keeps old avatars. You can see it by manipulating the URL of your current avatar.

That's pretty awesome, but how would you go about manipulating mine? Without http://www.muddledmuse.com/saars/ I'm not sure I could get my old AVs.

Edit: Nevermind, looking at the URLs at saars I figured it out pretty quick. Neato.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 9, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Brass Key posted:

I just realized something. A standard chess set has 32 pieces. There are 24 trolls, and 8 kids.

UU/uu's game, after "the knight is dead", contains 11 red pieces (4 pawns, 2 knights, 2 rooks, 1 bishop, 1 king, 1 queen) and 10 green (3 pawns, 2 bishops, 2 rooks, 1 knight, 1 king, 1 queen). The others have been eliminated, probably.

At the end of the game, it's reduced to 7 red (4 pawns, 1 bishop, 1 king, 1 queen) and 4 green (3 pawns, 1 king). Then she hits the table and it's reduced to 2 green pawns, 2 red pawns and a king of each color- but the only one standing is a single red pawn.

Right now there are 8 live kids and 6 live trolls. How exactly any of this is directly significant is another question, but given that this is Hussie, there's pretty much no way that it's not.

The sburb logo for the original 4 kids is green, the sburb logo for the new 4 is red.

The sgrub logo for the karkat-troll-group was purple, and the one for the ancestors hasn't been shown as far as I recall.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, UU is a Prospit Dreamer, and uu is a Derse Dreamer, so perhaps that's the color code, assuming that chess board means something.

Green - Prospit players, Red - Derse players

...except that Prospit always loses, and uu always loses, so, uh, maybe switch it? In which case...

quote:

2 green pawns, 2 red pawns and a king of each color- but the only one standing is a single red pawn.

This would probably represent Jane standing alone, the only remaining Dreamer, after Dirk, Roxy, and Jake's dreamselves die (as predicted by Jane's planet quests) after the royalty of both planets is bumped off. Or just the kings, which already happened.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Bobulus posted:

Well, UU is a Prospit Dreamer, and uu is a Derse Dreamer, so perhaps that's the color code, assuming that chess board means something.

UU and uu's colour schemes are messed up though.

UU is a Prospit dreamer, with a purple room, the Dersites are wearing white, and the Prospitians are wearing black.

We shouldn't assume anything about the "U"'s colour schemes meaning anything, seeing how hosed up they are.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Dream rooms can have their own wallpaper colour; Jade's was pink.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It was pretty obvious to me that the colour of the chess pieces matched up with UU/uu's blood colour. Unless you guys are looking for something deeper...

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Walliard posted:

Dream rooms can have their own wallpaper colour; Jade's was pink.

Huh, look at that. I'm wrong.

I still think the split colours is a "thing" that the "U"'s Incipisphere has.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

life_source posted:

I still think the split colours is a "thing" that the "U"'s Incipisphere has.

We've seen some ying-yang symbolism already, what with the Tumor and all. That's probably what's going on here. Because it fits perfectly with opposites sharing a body.

Wikipedia posted:

In Asian philosophy and Chinese philosophy, the concept of yin yang...literally meaning "dark and light", is used to describe how polar opposites or seemingly contrary forces are interconnected and interdependent in the natural world

complementary opposites, unseen (hidden, feminine) and seen (manifest, masculine)

light cannot exist without darkness and vice-versa

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It was pretty obvious to me that the colour of the chess pieces matched up with UU/uu's blood colour. Unless you guys are looking for something deeper...

Yeah, that much is obvious, but a chess game is so ridiculously symbolic (especially when the number of players matches the number of pieces) that people are trying to figure out if the green and red could also be used to help divide up the players into two sides (pre and post scratch, maybe?), and from there make progress on figuring out what the game will foreshadow for deaths and divisions.

If the chess game really is meant to foreshadow the fates of the players, I wonder if they'll start fighting each other? We've already seen trolls kill each other over basically nothing, it wouldn't be hard for Lord English or uu or whomever to start manipulating (or even straight up turning) them against each other. When Eridan wanted to join Bec Noir it was basically a joke. If Aradia started saying they had no choice but to obey Lord English since he's the master of fate it'd be disquieting, and not unprecedented considering her ancestor and LE's proclivity toward subjugation.

Or heck maybe Gamzee will just start butchering people again.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 9, 2012

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting thing I just noticed; UU's mistake that resulted in her lose was the first move she made after the reveal that the Queen/King were switched, where she moved the her King up rather than down. (I was gonna say to E3 instead of E1 but I don't think they're using those terms right as he moves his rook to "E3" right after, which... doesn't sound right to me) After that she keeps making mistakes until her final one, where she chooses to move her king instead of using her rook to take his pawn to put him into another check.

I'm not sure what hidden meaning this has, but I do find it interesting how she was completely in control until that reveal, and once that happened she started making lots of mistakes while getting more and more flustered.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Oh god Roxy! :ohdear:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Delirious Biznasty is not a thing I usually associate with Bing Crosby.

And yep, it looks like Roxy had better hurry up and get the hell back home. At least we'll get to see what her planet looks like soon (hopefully :ohdear:).

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Referring to the shades as "Client Shades" is interesting and to me a little disquieting, given that the shades were the ones to start the client-server connection... of course, Dirk is the one with a dreamself. I doubt this kind of thing even matters, but if Hussie wanted it to there's his hook for it.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Hussie seems to love making multiple references at once. Something deeper is pretty much expected at this point.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
Say what you will about the fanbase on Tumblr, but drat if they don't help you notice the most minor/secretly critically important of things:

But what does it meeaaaan? :tinfoil:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No one can escape the miles :ohdear:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Can't help but notice the background pictures on the character select screen when you mouse over Roxy and Dirk are switched with each other.

Meanwhile Hussie's still flippin' poo poo where poo poo = chess boards.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

TheDemon posted:

Referring to the shades as "Client Shades" is interesting and to me a little disquieting, given that the shades were the ones to start the client-server connection... of course, Dirk is the one with a dreamself. I doubt this kind of thing even matters, but if Hussie wanted it to there's his hook for it.

Well the shades ARE Dirk, so...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Graceful Graveler posted:

Say what you will about the fanbase on Tumblr, but drat if they don't help you notice the most minor/secretly critically important of things:

But what does it meeaaaan? :tinfoil:

I'm willing to bet that's nothing but a stylistically similar half-and-half colour thing. But prepared to be wrong.

As for the update, it's kind of sad whenever we're reminded everyone in that universe is going to die once the Red Miles show up. Roxy was more or less raised by the carapace people who live in her colony, and she helped them in return with appearified pumpkins. Just another casualty in a multiverse-spanning game of gods and demons I guess.

Also sort of neat the clients/servers won't go in the same direction this game.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Dolash posted:

I'm willing to bet that's nothing but a stylistically similar half-and-half colour thing. But prepared to be wrong.

Look closer, the wingy things on top have the same shape and there's the crocodile heads on the rook too. They're definitely shrunken down Scratch clocks. But what does it mean????

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Dolash posted:

It's not the color, it's the shape. They're literally exactly the same.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

What if Roxy tries to gather up all the Carapaces in her house and takes them back to the medium? The non-feral ones, anyway.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Dolash posted:

Also sort of neat the clients/servers won't go in the same direction this game.

Ultimately it's still going to be one long chain, going like this:

Jane <--- Dirk <--- Jake <--- Roxy

With Jane completing the circle and getting Roxy in. It's just that they have to hurry, so Jane is getting Roxy in at the same time Jake is getting Dirk in. Presumably Roxy will get Jake in once she's in the medium already (or something terrible will happen and Jake will die or turn evil or something).

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh. Delirious Biznasty is a twitter-type app. Wonder where that's going.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

creationist believer posted:

Look closer, the wingy things on top have the same shape and there's the crocodile heads on the rook too. They're definitely shrunken down Scratch clocks. But what does it mean????

Literally Sharks posted:

It's not the color, it's the shape. They're literally exactly the same.

Whoops, derp, you're exactly right. Okay yeah that probably means something.

I mean maybe it's meant to just be general Homestuck imagery, but I guess it could also refer to god-tiers? The four kids are each god-tier. In fact, the game between uu and UU starts with all four of them in play. After the switcheroo reveal, a red one dies to the green queen after a green check. The green one takes out another red one after a red check. The red queen takes out the two green ones while making the green king dance. Immediately thereafter the fist comes down on the game.

Maybe the four original human players will get picked off just in time for whatever happens with uu/UU/Calmasis? Maybe the colour divide is prospit and derse dreamers?

Bobulus posted:

What if Roxy tries to gather up all the Carapaces in her house and takes them back to the medium? The non-feral ones, anyway.

As a rule people don't seem to make much of an effort to save anyone who isn't a character (and sometimes not even then). I think we're just supposed to chalk this up to the players all being young and not really grasping the reality of mass-murder and death beyond "I wanna punch fish-Hitler!" Although if Roxy's the first one to be overwhelmed with loss because her adopted family of carapace people all died it'd be really interesting. I'd love a scene like that just to add some emotional weight to all the implied death (the Jade-leaving-Derse thing still really bugs me).

Dolash fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 9, 2012

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

And besides, a sixteen-year-old should be more aware of the consequences than a thirteen-year-old would be.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
When did Jane find out that Roxy and Dirk are in the future?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I hope this means that we're going to see Roxy's world soon. She's the B2 kid that I like the most, so that'd be kinda nice.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Walliard posted:

When did Jane find out that Roxy and Dirk are in the future?

Im pretty sure Roxy told her, she just doesnt really believe it.

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.

quote:

GG: I see plenty of plush wizards and window gizmos, and... pumpkins? Really, Roxy?

What p-

Oh. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Keep in mind that act-curtain-wise, the troll universe is blue, the B1 kids are red and the B2 kids are green, but the B1 kids had a green Sburb logo and green Skaia gates, and the B2 kids have a red logo and red gates (as shown in intermission 2, when the gates switch to reroute the meteors).

There's a lot of things this could mean--it makes the chess game's symbolism a little weirder. Could also just be saying the two universes are entwined, much like UU and uu are two different entities sharing a body.

Oh, and of course let's remember that the last act's curtains will be white as seen in the final room here and the act markers here. Those markers are also used to jump to different points in the Cascade flash. $5 says white is the color representing what can only be called...the UUniverse.