Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

salt the fries! posted:

I just did 22 or so hours from FL to WI and got home today. I did 15 hours yesterday, almost nonstop (gas stops and one bathroom break were it), and it was crazy. 900+ miles in a day really starts to get you.

Here are my thoughts:
- Podcasts! I listened to 5 or 6 good episodes of WTF and alternated back between that and music to keep my pacing.

- Keep a bottle of water or something (obvious) but maybe some light snack food (a banana maybe? bring a bag for the peel!) so you limit your stops

- IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, take state highways instead of interstates. I cannot emphasize this enough. I took state highways essentially from Chattanooga to Louisville and then up to Indianapolis, and it was one of the greatest decisions I have ever made.

The mountains make it perfect, but just imagine roads like this:

The speed limit was 55 mph, and those hilly winding roads were amazing. Not the best roads I've ever been on, but coming from Florida almost anything with a turn OR a hill was a massive improvement.

The best part? This cut out a bunch of my route. The 10mph lower speed limit was factored out by the distance being about 30 miles shorter over 3 hours for the bulk of it. And there was no traffic and few cops. Lots of beautiful sunset scenery. All because I stayed away from the interstate.

That reminds me of what should have been an awesome drive from Chapel Hill to Lexington across the mountains, except it was raining, then snowing, and I'd only had 3 hours sleep, so actually it was just really hard work :(

I'm old and lame though, and can't really do more than 8 or 9 hours driving in one go these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

GramCracker posted:

Thanks for not emailing me back, jerk. :colbert:

I meant to, and I will. I had to bust rear end back here because I've got clients waiting.

Just got home. Took about 19 hours.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

Why are you waiting through that checklist? If you weren't going to pay with cash (understandable with the stack that car costs), you can have a bank hold the title until it's funded, even if the seller owns the car outright. Plus wire transfers are instantaneous, were there scheduling problems?

And with plates, I've always just either used the seller's on the way back (if I can, only the dumb sellers will let you do that), or brought my own plates from another car. I've been comfortable with driving with a bill of sale, contract for the sale and my paperwork on the plates to drive home not technically fully sorted with the license...

same. I generally bring the plate from my most disreputable vehicle (I have a lot to choose from) slap er on and drive home, very carefully. In MA you are allowed to do this as long as you intend to switch the registration to the new vehicle within 7 days and do not keep the plate donor registered as well.

Worth noting, btw - MA apparently does not recognize any other states temp transport plates, and does not issue its own. Look out if driving a temp plated vehicle in or through massachusetts, though I've been lucky (might have been the fact that the one time I did this, I was driving a 20,000lb military surplus cargo truck and I'm pretty sure every officer who saw me expected it to be more of a pain in the rear end than it was worth.)

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

kastein posted:

Worth noting, btw - MA apparently does not recognize any other states temp transport plates, and does not issue its own. Look out if driving a temp plated vehicle in or through massachusetts ...

Do they expect you to pull over at the state border and get a full MA title and plates even if you're just passing thru?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

DropShadow posted:

I meant to, and I will. I had to bust rear end back here because I've got clients waiting.

Just got home. Took about 19 hours.

The Avant has a new friend. I bet it's happy. :)

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

Das Volk posted:

I planned a road trip when I picked up my CTS-V, then realized there was nothing between Minneapolis and Salt Lake City. The Bonneville flats were so dead and devoid of traffic that you couldn't tell the difference between 75 and 150 save for wind noise. At least driving through the Sierras is fun during summertime.

What do (did?) you think of your CTS-V? I am in the market for a high-powered v8 sports car and I like the idea of a 500hp 4 door sedan for 70k.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

PromethiumX posted:

What do (did?) you think of your CTS-V? I am in the market for a high-powered v8 sports car and I like the idea of a 500hp 4 door sedan for 70k.

This should be fun.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

PromethiumX posted:

You know what's a way better sportscar than a CTS-V? A miata.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

Yeticopter posted:

You know what's a way better sportscar than a CTS-V? A miata.

Educate me.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

PromethiumX posted:

Having driven two of them (one four door and one coupe) they are FANTASTIC. My friends who own them love them as well.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Comrade Flynn posted:

This should be fun.

Indeed.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

In all fairness I think he's talking about the new model and not the Old GM version.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

My friend in Japan bought a kei car!

2000 Daihatsu Mira Gino, barely any mileage (kilometerage?) on it, and he paid probably a thousand bucks less than I paid for my car. He really likes it. Personally, I think a 2-door would have been better, but it's still pretty nifty.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

MiniFoo posted:

My friend in Japan bought a kei car!

2000 Daihatsu Mira Gino, barely any mileage (kilometerage?) on it, and he paid probably a thousand bucks less than I paid for my car. He really likes it. Personally, I think a 2-door would have been better, but it's still pretty nifty.

gently caress yes. I would import this in a heart beat if I could.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Took the Z06 to the track on Friday. The brakes held up really well, but the coolant and oil got up to a point by the 3rd session where I wasn't comfortable going harder. So I had to cool it off:

The little bits of GM build quality are fascinating.
Free downforce:

The bumper broken its mount to the front of the fender.

I put my helmet toward the rear of the trunk, and then closed the hatch. The helmet pushed up one end of the flimsy hatch:

I've had that weatherstripping dangling free for a while:

Now i have free pebbles. I actually couldn't remove them by hand. Very wedged in there.

e: one more -- the parking brake sensor is wonky sometimes and you need to fondle a certain part of the leather boot around the lever to get it working again. Otherwise I can't pop the hatch or recall my seat settings.

These Eagle F1 Supercar runflats are about done:

We were talking about cars with major presence in real life. This is a picture of the Vette that is not that flattering:

In real life (from either the FOV of my eyes or perhaps some depth perception emphasis my mind does), the hood is much wider, and the cabin bubble isn't so bulbous.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 9, 2012

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
BBS FI wheels? :stare:

God I feel covetous

e: content

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 9, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Admirable Gusto posted:

BBS FI wheels? :stare:
God I feel covetous

I never knew what these were, but I was pretty sure it wasn't the FIs when I googled those just now. More googling reveals them to be very likely these knockoffs:
http://www.southerncarparts.com/corvette-z06-spyder-wheel-competition-grey-18x85-p-3716.html
The FIs look thinner and also cooler.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

kimbo305 posted:

I never knew what these were, but I was pretty sure it wasn't the FIs when I googled those just now. More googling reveals them to be very likely these knockoffs:
http://www.southerncarparts.com/corvette-z06-spyder-wheel-competition-grey-18x85-p-3716.html
The FIs look thinner and also cooler.

The wheels you have on your car are stock from GM. Why would you think they were knock offs?

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012

Dizman posted:

The wheels you have on your car are stock from GM. Why would you think they were knock offs?

Because the BBS's came first.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
Does anyone care to elaborate on why the CTS-V is such a bad car? I'm not trying to start some kind of terrible debate here but I really just don't know anything about them.

I've driven my '98 Nissan Frontier since I got out of college in '06. Now I've got my house nearly paid off and I want to buy a nice car. One of the vehicles I have been considering is a CTS-V along with an M3, and Jeep Cherokee SRT-8. If this is too close to a "What type of car should I get" post then I apologize and will edit it to remove.

If anyone has any good sources to read up on this sort of thing I'd be appreciative of links to those too. Most of the stuff on the net I have read has seemed more like a brochure than an honest review and I KNOW you bunch of yahoos will tell me straight.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
The CTS-V is a bad car?

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

The CTS-V is a bad car?

My reaction too dude. I didn't know they sucked but you see the poo poo-posts that followed me asking Das-Volk about his experience with one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

PromethiumX posted:

Does anyone care to elaborate on why the CTS-V is such a bad car?

It's not, but it's GM. Take a look above at Kimbo's Z06. Search the archives for the fun DasVolk had with his CTS-V. Overall, GM makes some powerful beasts... but whether it's the most basic Chevy, or $100k ZR1, the crappy GM quality control shows.

Hell, I laugh at my '02 Cadillac Deville. It was $45k in 2002 and it is so remarkably poorly/cheaply/shoddily made that it is sad. If you don't care about quality of finish, or if you've never really looked how some of the competitors are put together, then you may never have a problem. But if you care about details and minutia (and the random huge problem), then GM is not for you.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

PromethiumX posted:

Does anyone care to elaborate on why the CTS-V is such a bad car? I'm not trying to start some kind of terrible debate here but I really just don't know anything about them.

They aren't particularly bad cars, they just have a lot of known issues. I had them all, shifter binding, diff leakage/failure, electrical problems, and the usual GM gremlins of poor fit & finish.

CF and XC are shitposting because I traded it for a then-new '08 Corvette that was such a pile of poo poo that I Lemon Lawed the car and received a full refund. Ironic considering CF bought an S/C Z06 that supposedly had 550hp, then just a few months later it was very quietly swapped for a (much more reliable I suspect) new Mustang.

As I understand it the "new" post-bankruptcy GM CTS-V is substantially more reliable than its predecessor, but after being burned twice I'm done with GM. With both cars a major contributing factor was the dealerships themselves - they absolutely could not fix things, even fairly simple ones. If you buy used, plan to do the work yourself and skip anything that says warranty.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

If you don't care about quality of finish, or if you've never really looked how some of the competitors are put together, then you may never have a problem. But if you care about details and minutia (and the random huge problem), then GM is not for you.

This is most likely my problem. I've grown up lower middle class my whole life. I've only ever ridden in a BMW twice. I grew up with a mom having a Camaro and an old Buick Lasabre and a father who was a contractor so he had Ford F-X50's and a Dodge Ram.

The only two vehicles I've ever owned was the aforementioned Dodge Ram 2500 after my father got done with it (unholy beast of a vehicle. 10mpg) and my Nissan Frontier. Both had manual transmission so I did do right there. I've kind of fawned over the notion of owning a BMW and the like my whole life. I do a lot of driving now for my job and I just notice that the M3 and the CTS-V (coupe especially) look like nice cars going down the road. I drive a 1 ton service vehicle for a living and want something nice looking with plenty of zip for the rare occasion I'm not working.

What are the chances of me being taken seriously arriving at a dealership in my Frontier asking to test drive a 75k sports car?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

PromethiumX posted:

What are the chances of me being taken seriously arriving at a dealership in my Frontier asking to test drive a 75k sports car?

The worst they'll say is no. I'm 23 and just about managed to drive a new M3 at a dealership when I showed up in my E30. Granted, it's a pretty nice well taken care of E30, but still.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Das Volk posted:

They aren't particularly bad cars, they just have a lot of known issues. I had them all, shifter binding, diff leakage/failure, electrical problems, and the usual GM gremlins of poor fit & finish.

CF and XC are shitposting because I traded it for a then-new '08 Corvette that was such a pile of poo poo that I Lemon Lawed the car and received a full refund. Ironic considering CF bought an S/C Z06 that supposedly had 550hp, then just a few months later it was very quietly swapped for a (much more reliable I suspect) new Mustang.

As I understand it the "new" post-bankruptcy GM CTS-V is substantially more reliable than its predecessor, but after being burned twice I'm done with GM. With both cars a major contributing factor was the dealerships themselves - they absolutely could not fix things, even fairly simple ones. If you buy used, plan to do the work yourself and skip anything that says warranty.

First gen CTS-V's had a TON of issues. I've driven plenty of those. The second gen. with the LSA in them is a FANTASTIC car. Interior is absolutely fantastic, and there aren't any weird electrical/mechanical issues with them.

As for your Vette - my C5Z is typical early 2000's GM quality, but otherwise reliable. The newer Vettes don't seem to have that many issues. I know quite a few people with those and other than the poo poo they break by adding a million horsepower, nothing really ever goes wrong with them. Sucks you got a lemon, though I wouldn't let that spoil your taste for Corvettes. The C6 is light years ahead of the C5 in terms of build quality - even from 2010 the quality of GM cars has improved ten fold. Granted they're still behind in the interior department with the Vettes but hopefully the C7 changes that.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

kimbo305 posted:

Other than the cost to replace them that's not necessarily a bad thing. Those things suck on the Z06 - in my girlfriend's dad's the first thing I noticed was that even at up around 140 the roar from them was about as loud if not louder than the engine. Supposedly the Michelin Pilots are miles better on the Vette's.

Oh yeah, also your car is dirty; I can hear the cries of middle age garage queens for miles :v:

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Took the Z06 to the track on Friday. The brakes held up really well, but the coolant and oil got up to a point by the 3rd session where I wasn't comfortable going harder. So I had to cool it off:

The little bits of GM build quality are fascinating.
Free downforce:

The bumper broken its mount to the front of the fender.

I put my helmet toward the rear of the trunk, and then closed the hatch. The helmet pushed up one end of the flimsy hatch:

I've had that weatherstripping dangling free for a while:

Now i have free pebbles. I actually couldn't remove them by hand. Very wedged in there.

e: one more -- the parking brake sensor is wonky sometimes and you need to fondle a certain part of the leather boot around the lever to get it working again. Otherwise I can't pop the hatch or recall my seat settings.

We were talking about cars with major presence in real life. This is a picture of the Vette that is not that flattering:

In real life (from either the FOV of my eyes or perhaps some depth perception emphasis my mind does), the hood is much wider, and the cabin bubble isn't so bulbous.

What kind of oil temps were you seeing? My last time at the track I was hitting around 285 in my LS3 Camaro. I think it's about time for an aftermarket oil cooler if I keep tracking this car.

BTW, is there and HPDE/road course thread? I see the autocross one floating around but that's it.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

PromethiumX posted:

I hope there are enough well-to-do people that don't take life painfully seriously out there to make any BMW or Audi dealership make at least a token attempt to treat a person that doesn't look wealthy as if they could afford anything they have on their lot.

Worst comes to worst you can always find another dealer if you live near any relatively densely populated area.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

PromethiumX posted:

I'm sure you'll be alright. Last year when I bought my '11 Camaro SS I drove up in a Nissan Altima (rental, since my previous car was destroyed in an accident) not looking particularly wealthy (jeans, crappy old sneakers, t-shirt with some band logo on it). I walked over to the Camaros and the guy came out, asked if I had any questions, and I told him that I wanted to test drive the SS/RS ($41k at the time). All he did was make a copy of my license and off we went.

When we got back I bought it, cash. Was one of the easiest sales the guy ever made.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Das Volk posted:

The reliability of my C5Z had nothing to do with GM, and more the supercharger kit the previous owner installed. Also; "very quietly" swapped out? You act like this was some sort of secret operation to hide what I was doing.

The Mustang is a more comfortable but less exciting car, which is what I wanted at this point in time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Comrade Flynn posted:

The Mustang is a more comfortable but less exciting car

Automotive Sanity.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Automotive Sanity.

Getting old is awful.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

iv46vi posted:

Do they expect you to pull over at the state border and get a full MA title and plates even if you're just passing thru?

Yes, and they will impound your car. This is because MA is by far the worst state ever.

Putrescine
Nov 22, 2003

A chance to cut is a chance to cure.

Matching Scrubs

S2KI Meet in Austin, TX last month prior to running Lime Creek Road.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Just picked it up today. 2008 300C. It's a whale, but I love it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Getting old is awful.

Indeed. Soon it will be time for Wheelchair Insanity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

Indeed. Soon it will be time for Wheelchair Insanity.

a pulsejet? in my wheelchair? Better put a good rollcage on that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

a pulsejet? in my wheelchair? Better put a good rollcage on that thing.