Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Dr Pepper posted:

I've been playing Rune Factory Frontier on and off for ages and holy crap this game is long. I've been playing around 38 hours and I'm still in Autumn of the first year, only beat the Green Ruins, and don't have anybody with a higher FP then four.

Some things you can do to make RFF stop sucking up all of your time by order of magnitude:

1. Cheat, make yourself infinite runeys. This is by far where all of your time goes between dungeons and other misc things. Learning how to actually micromanage runeys alone takes a fair amount of time, the physical part of it not quite as much.

2. Install the game to a hard drive. RFF has some heinous load times.

3. Use medicinal herbs to build FP. You can buy them from the church infirmary for really cheap and they will always award FP when given to anyone. I think it takes two whole stacks to max someone. (You should at least do this for Kross anyway if not anyone else, since this unlocks another villager)

4. Use your excess runeys (if you ever have any) every day to make friendship days for your barn animals. The sooner they have max happiness, the sooner you can stop burning your very limited amount of FP on things that aren't casting spells and swinging swords and then waiting for the hot springs to open because everything in the game hits you for 50% of your life for the first 30 hours.

5a. This is something you have to do anyway but just because it's important: Whenever you unlock a new tier of farm equipment, spend as long as possible re-crafting them with the refining recipes that take scrap metal or whatever. Their entire purpose is to give you something to grind blacksmithing on easily so you can craft the actually important gear without constantly screwing up or having to wait so long to be able to craft it that it stops being relevant.
5b. Grind cooking by making sashimi constantly. Use sashimi to accomplish 5a.

6. It stops being useful later, but the sooner you get a cold mask, the better. Cold Resistance is a precious thing in RF1-2 and Frontier, as it was before you could grind out max RP by doing literally anything. It should last you through the first 2 dungeons, afterwards you will likely need to ditch it for an accessory that provides adequate defense/resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I already have Runey's mastered and my animals handle at least 2/3 of my field. :sweatdrop:

Also my Wii isn't homebrewed so no cheats or installing to harddrive.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
In Rune Factory 4 news, the series just keeps hurling itself towards the deep end with the Sainte-Coquilles. Fat dudes with 'bishounen' features seems to be making an upswing in video games.

We also now have Kitsune-Anubis-rear end in a top hat-Boss to go with :black101:horse. It is going to be a tough decision of who to go with if they are both amusing characters.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Does Rune Factory Frontier have traditional farming mechanics? I've been playing Rune Factory Tides of Destiny and I've been liking it so far but the farming has been really dumbed down. I'm considering picking up Frontier to play after I finish ToD but I would really like it if it had more harvest moon like farming.

Also, how are the overall mechanics of Frontier vs Tides of Destiny? I would guess ToD is more polished in some aspects but are there any major changes for the better that would make Frontier frustrating to play (ie: going from Rune Factory 3 to Rune Factory 1 or 2)?

Zettace fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 3, 2012

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Zettace posted:

Does Rune Factory Frontier have traditional farming mechanics? I've been playing Rune Factory Tides of Destiny and I've been liking it so far but the farming has been really dumbed down. I'm considering picking up Frontier to play after I finish ToD but I would really like it if it had more harvest moon like farming.

Also, how are the overall mechanics of Frontier vs Tides of Destiny? I would guess ToD is more polished in some aspects but are there any major changes for the better that would make Frontier frustrating to play (ie: going from Rune Factory 3 to Rune Factory 1 or 2)?

Yes, there is traditional farming in Frontier. However, as many posters have groused about, you will have to deal with the Runey system, which was mercifully delt away with for Tides. You will be vaccuming up various colored spirits from the sky and redistrubuting them across the map to keep nature in check. If you screw up badly enough, you will get disasters like hurricanes and crops will take ages to grow. Some people don't have a problem with the system, but I can vouch as being one player who absolutely hated it. The whole thing is micromanagement at its worst, and a lot of people set up 'factories' to just produce one type of Runey per map to make balancing the levels at the farm easier.

Otherwise, the dungeons scale up a bit more in difficulty in Frontier than in Tides, and the game is well-localized as XSeed was the one that did it instead of Natsume.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I Watson posted:

In Rune Factory 4 news, the series just keeps hurling itself towards the deep end with the Sainte-Coquilles. Fat dudes with 'bishounen' features seems to be making an upswing in video games.

I just know you will not be able to marry this man and it makes me sad.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Zettace posted:

Also, how are the overall mechanics of Frontier vs Tides of Destiny? I would guess ToD is more polished in some aspects but are there any major changes for the better that would make Frontier frustrating to play?

Namely the way RP was revamped for RF3. Frontier came out between RF2 and RF3, so it still uses the RF1-2 system of "leveling up your skills marginally decreases the amount of RP used doing X task" as opposed to "the way it worked AND your max RP will also increase". This means most of your tasks will end up spread out over several days or more at the beginning as you burn all of your RP on simple farming/crafting before you establish a steady source of cooked meals.

There's no villager tracking, so you're going to have to learn schedules and such. Unlike ToD, since everyone has less to say in general, gathering birthdays is way easier than it was in later titles.

Frontier's plot progression is fairly obtuse to the point of almost needing a guide. There is no mission system so between dungeons and everything else it's on you to gather intel and figure out just what crazy task the game expects you to be doing.

Courtship is quite a challenge since friendship and love increase fairly slowly if you aren't being scummy about it, and I think Frontier has the most difficult engagement item crafting recipe out of any of the titles.

and of course, Runeys. :negative:

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
I bought Rune Factory 3 after reading the recommendations from this thread.

It was a good purchase. Thanks guys.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Natsume is showing Land of Orgin (now redubed A New Beginning) at E3 and will be aiming to release it this year. They are also hyping up Yasuhiro Wada's Project Happiness, and teasing that there will be an announcement that's 'not a game'.

Plus, if you want to buy a game directly from them, you have until the 15th to get a bonus :mrapig: plush.

I Watson fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 5, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

I Watson posted:

Natsume is showing Land of Orgin (now redubed A New Beginning) at E3 and will be aiming to release it this year. They are also hyping up Yasuhiro Wada's Project Happiness, and teasing that there will be an announcement that's 'not a game'.

Plus, if you want to buy a game directly from them, you have until the 15th to get a bonus :mrapig: plush.

That pig better become a preorder bonus. :mad:

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I Watson posted:

Welp, the series is hitting its 15th anniversary and there will be an artbook released for it. I'm thinking the thing will run $40-60 after exchange rates and shipping, which begs the question if I want to drop that much on old tymey anime game art.

-Who in the hell am I kidding, of course I will.

God I've played this series forever so I'm actually kind of interested in this too :( I miss all the old game art and stuff and having it together would be pretty cool. if you find it, please post here :v:

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

I Watson posted:

That Project Happiness game looks pretty great, like Recettear alot or Atelier a bit. I will eat up whatever this guy comes up with.

eggrolled posted:

God I've played this series forever so I'm actually kind of interested in this too :( I miss all the old game art and stuff and having it together would be pretty cool. if you find it, please post here :v:
Agreed. I can't think of a single series I would even care about this for besides Harvest Moon.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

eggrolled posted:

Apparently it came out on the 25th!

CD Japan
Kinokuniya
YesAsia
Yahoo Japan Auctions
Amazon Japan, apparently the reviewers think it is mediocre?

Nobody has it for sale on Rakuten yet.

vvv Well that is a pity. I did not expect Rune Factory or Innocent Life art though, those games are their own thing as far as the anniversary is concerned.

I Watson fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 6, 2012

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

I Watson posted:

Apparently it came out on the 25th!

CD Japan
Kinokuniya
YesAsia
Yahoo Japan Auctions
Amazon Japan, apparently the reviewers think it is mediocre?

Nobody has it for sale on Rakuten yet.

Looking through the google translated reviews, most of the reviewers seemed to take issue with the art all being stuff they've seen before, bland character portraits and such, poorly laid out, and relegated only to the main Harvest Moon series.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
For some reason I thought Rune Factory 4 was already out in Japan. It feels like there has been years and years since a Rune Factory dropped, but I keep forgetting about Tides. I still need to finish it!

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

For some reason I thought Rune Factory 4 was already out in Japan. It feels like there has been years and years since a Rune Factory dropped, but I keep forgetting about Tides. I still need to finish it!

I just recently started Tides after getting it for xmas. I actually maxed out the in game counter on my save files so uh I guess it's pretty good. There are things I don't like (stupid crop system) but it is miles above Frontier which I never actually finished.

At this point in the game I am just dating all the girls and I guess when I get married I will swap to my girl save game since there won't be another game out yet.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
I've loved this series for a long time and currently the only platform I have that can play any of them is the DS. I own Harvest Moon DS (the original) and got Rune Factory 3 on the advice of this thread.

I'm not sure what it is about it, but RF3 really just didn't do it for me. I was afraid the dungeon/magic/combat/monsters portion of it wouldn't appeal to me, and it seems I was right. To be fair I've only put like 4 hours into the game but I'm really not enjoying it.

I guess I'm saying that I want to buy a more traditional HM game for the DS. Twin Cities looks like it could fit the bill. Would you all recommend that I give Twin Cities a shot, or is there a better traditional-style game for the DS, OR should I quit my bitching and keep going with RF3?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Pancakes by Mail posted:

I've loved this series for a long time and currently the only platform I have that can play any of them is the DS. I own Harvest Moon DS (the original) and got Rune Factory 3 on the advice of this thread.

I'm not sure what it is about it, but RF3 really just didn't do it for me. I was afraid the dungeon/magic/combat/monsters portion of it wouldn't appeal to me, and it seems I was right. To be fair I've only put like 4 hours into the game but I'm really not enjoying it.

I guess I'm saying that I want to buy a more traditional HM game for the DS. Twin Cities looks like it could fit the bill. Would you all recommend that I give Twin Cities a shot, or is there a better traditional-style game for the DS, OR should I quit my bitching and keep going with RF3?

If you want more traditional farming and animals stuff, then Two Towns is good for that. I didn't really like the limited progression (I was about 8 years into the game and still didn't have all the upgrades), but if you aren't OCD about optimizing everything it should work for you.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Fru Fru posted:

I just recently started Tides after getting it for xmas. I actually maxed out the in game counter on my save files so uh I guess it's pretty good. There are things I don't like (stupid crop system) but it is miles above Frontier which I never actually finished.

I never played Frontier, but from what I hear about the Runey system, it feels like the farming system they chose for Tides was almost reflexive in nature; they went from being super involved in farming (not even farming, really, but stupid mimaxing bullshit to make it so you can farm well in the first place) to being almost totally hands off.

I wouldn't really mind, except I've been trying to get Pom Pom Flowers for about three weeks now. :argh:

If they go this route again, maybe it'd be nice to have some sort of control over what the monster actually grows.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Complexcalibur posted:

I never played Frontier, but from what I hear about the Runey system, it feels like the farming system they chose for Tides was almost reflexive in nature; they went from being super involved in farming (not even farming, really, but stupid mimaxing bullshit to make it so you can farm well in the first place) to being almost totally hands off.

I wouldn't really mind, except I've been trying to get Pom Pom Flowers for about three weeks now. :argh:

If they go this route again, maybe it'd be nice to have some sort of control over what the monster actually grows.

Yeah, that was my same problem too. If they set it up so that spring island only grows spring crops and such and had each animal with 1 crop for each island I think it would have been perfect. But the grow whatever they want wherever they want system was just so annoying.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Complexcalibur posted:

The tiers of what the monsters will grow for you depends on their friendship level. The rarer the item is, the more maxed out that monster will have to be. Of course, once you get them maxed out, it is a pain in the rear end to get a lower tiered item from them if you need it for cooking or a quest. If the crap the other monsters prodcuce is crouding out the field and making it so you're not getting what you want, kick them into the barn and hope for the best.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Just picked up Animal Parade a minute ago. Hope it's as good as y'all say it is.

Nthing the love for Friends of Mineral Town. It's in a Game Boy Micro (holy poo poo I love that thing) that I keep in my work bag. If I have a few minutes free during the workday, I pick pineapples or plant cucumbers or pick weeds or whatever. So much fun.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Yeah, none of the Harvest Moon games that have come out since Friends of Mineral Town have matched it for me. I'm hoping A New Beginning will. Has anyone heard negative stuff about it?

edit: Sigh:

quote:

*House level upgrades will not be returning.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
You know what, I played FoMT on my cousin's Game Boy as a kid and that's what got me into the series, never got a chance to fully play it for myself. I think I'll just buy that. Why eat hamburger when you can have steak?

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

I'm surprised but pleased that Natsume won't be removing the crossdressing feature in the US Land of Beginnings localization. Time to play a boy dressed as a girl dating a girl dressed as a boy. (One of the female marriage candidates also crossdresses.)

Here's a video compilation of all the outfits in the game, or a less complete Photobucket album of them if you'd prefer.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Star Guarded posted:

Yeah, none of the Harvest Moon games that have come out since Friends of Mineral Town have matched it for me. I'm hoping A New Beginning will. Has anyone heard negative stuff about it?

edit: Sigh:

Yeah, I've always been kinda depresesed about that too. After that point, the series really lost an essence that made it so great, and it hasn't been able to recover it since. Somewhere between getting 3D graphics, rune factory, and the transition to DS, Harvest Moon lost whatever combination of things that made FoMT such a great game.
I was kind of excited for Project Happiness, but after watching the trailer, well, the top comment basically says it: "This looks suspiciously like a smartphone game.". I don't mind smart phone games, but I have no interest in playing a HM-esque game in that format.

bomblol fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 7, 2012

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

PoisonedV posted:

I was kind of excited for Project Happiness, but after watching the trailer, well, the top comment basically says it: "This looks suspiciously like a smartphone game.". I don't mind smart phone games, but I have no interest in playing a HM-esque game in that format.

Everyone's fears have been confirmed, but there will be a 3DS release of the game as well. If they are selling it as a cart, the 3DS version better be above and beyond the iOS/Android release if they want my money.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

I Watson posted:

Everyone's fears have been confirmed, but there will be a 3DS release of the game as well. If they are selling it as a cart, the 3DS version better be above and beyond the iOS/Android release if they want my money.

Great. :sigh: I just want a good plain farming game to go along with the Rune Factory series. I'll even settle for another Shepherd's Crossing game!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Rune Factory Tides of Destiny stuff under black bars. Spoilers beware!

I finally beat the boss. That battle was JRPG as gently caress, wasn't it? The power of song and prayer!

So, question here is about Mikoto. Was I supposed to think she was a man, or something? Between the look, the voice, and everything, I pretty well assumed it was a lady, but uh, I wonder if the Japanese version hid it more or something?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

I finally beat the boss. That battle was JRPG as gently caress, wasn't it? The power of song and prayer!

So, question here is about Mikoto. Was I supposed to think she was a man, or something? Between the look, the voice, and everything, I pretty well assumed it was a lady, but uh, I wonder if the Japanese version hid it more or something?

Yeah, I have no idea. I thought she was a girl from the beginning and was actually really confused when the game said she was a boy. The weird thing is if you choose to play as Sonja, she keeps on being a "boy" forever.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wandering Knitter posted:

Great. :sigh: I just want a good plain farming game to go along with the Rune Factory series. I'll even settle for another Shepherd's Crossing game!

That new Harvest Moon game for 3DS is coming to US late this year. Not the smartphone port, so you should keep an eye on it.

e: ah, here's the article. It's called a New Beginning.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 9, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Mikoto in the Japanese version is also obviously a girl. She's voiced by Kobayashi Yuu who has a deeper voice than most female voice actors but her voice is still obviously one of a woman. I guess the deeper voice was supposed to make it more ambiguous but Kobayashi is pretty well known as a voice actor so it probably had the opposite effect. In fact, by hearing Kobayashi Yuu's voice, I figured out immediately that it was supposed to be a girl.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Even if you were somehow fooled by everything else, the fact that she's featured in the opening cinematic spoils it anyway.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I just want a remake of 64 that uses not sin ugly graphics.

Or even just 64 on VC.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I really liked the PSX one compared to the 64 version, I liked the little harvest sprites and being able to cook and find recipes. :3:

Has there been a harvest moon with a cat instead of a dog since the GBA one?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I just want a remake of 64 that uses not sin ugly graphics.

Or even just 64 on VC.

Seriously! I have two five year old cousins who loving love the SNES Harvest Moon. I think they'd go nuts over the N64 version, and the Wii ones are a bit too complicated for them.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I stumbled upon this LP for Rune Factory 3 just a moment ago. I can't vouch for quality.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488745

About HM64, I know one of the devs mentioned they couldn't figure out how to properly port it to VC, due to some what have you or blah blah blah. I wish they'd just go ahead and remake it - take the awesome base that's already there, and add a little bit here-and-there. It's still a great game.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

About HM64, I know one of the devs mentioned they couldn't figure out how to properly port it to VC, due to some what have you or blah blah blah. I wish they'd just go ahead and remake it - take the awesome base that's already there, and add a little bit here-and-there. It's still a great game.

I wonder how they would handle a remake of an old game. Would it be the same game with new graphics? New farming and mechanics? New characters? I wouldn't mind revisiting the characters, with fresh dialogue and new scenes, etc. I would be worried they'd poo poo it up like they did BtN though, that PSP port was terrible.

Now that I think about it, it's weird how for so many games they had the same dudes with different jobs/families/personalities, and then started making a new bunch every game.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Shirec posted:

I wonder how they would handle a remake of an old game. Would it be the same game with new graphics? New farming and mechanics? New characters? I wouldn't mind revisiting the characters, with fresh dialogue and new scenes, etc. I would be worried they'd poo poo it up like they did BtN though, that PSP port was terrible.

Now that I think about it, it's weird how for so many games they had the same dudes with different jobs/families/personalities, and then started making a new bunch every game.

Marvelous and the studios they publish for the series loooooove to recycle assets. Be it characters, or more recently, game engines, it is how they can pretty much put out a new title every year. Until very recently, that rush to get crap out always resulted in at least one game breaking bug, and one reason why Natsume was so drat slow with localizations. On top of patching in a translation, they would try to patch out the flaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I stumbled upon this LP for Rune Factory 3 just a moment ago. I can't vouch for quality.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488745

It's the highest quality LP in the world, obviously. :colbert:

:v:

Shirec posted:

I'd actually be a little worried if they extensively remade it. HM64 was a lot more down to earth then a lot of later titles. I'd be afraid they'd wacky it up and add in more ~*anime*~

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 11, 2012

• Locked thread