Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I finally painted the terminators I won with nerd moneys from the first oath thread (RIP Apocabitz). Hurfdurf I am a slow painter. My lighting is not cooperating so I'll take some better shots tomorrow. For now, happy to be done with these goddamn over-detailed things.

I've fixed the messy base rim and painted the service studs I forgot on the one sergeant.

It'll be a long rear end time before I paint a Salamander marine after this, ughh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
My *insert army name here* are shaking in their boots looking at those terminators... I 'm digging the green though.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This set of 10 makes 30 hammernators for me. They're all magged though I only have shooty arms for 20 of them. Joke's on me that's 20 too many.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If the "Power Weapons are AP3, Power Fists are AP2" thing is real, shooty terminators get a bit of a buff.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, I have my little mans now, I just need to buy some painting supplies and a steadier hand :v:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Now I just gotta paint a hell of a lot more mans, and go to a glass shop for more shelves.

VVV Sup -fiend suffix bro! Yeah, I would let that shredder eat my face.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 9, 2012

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Posting this WIP shot of a nongoon friend's Shredder because I think it's sick and it isn't even done yet.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Hi painting thread! As promised, here are the chronicles of my experiments with DupliColor Mirage. I chose the purple>green variety.

For my experiment I selected an old D&D Umber Hulk. Here is with primer and some purple. I wanted to paint him slightly before spraying to see how the Mirage showed up on non-black surfaces.

The instructions for the spray suggest doing 4 coats. Here he is after 2 coats:

And 4 coats. There's quite a difference:

This one is a bit blurry but it shows the purple spectrum. The purple only shows up in indirect light, which makes it hard to take photos of.

This is after fully painting the Umber Hulk:

I sprayed him with dullcote after using a gloss varnish. This is the result:

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it. The dullcote substantially reduces the Mirage effect. I'm not sure which I prefer. The subtler look is less ostentatious, but I'm concerned it may not show up well on a tabletop. Regardless, I'm going to use on of the two for my Fiends of Slaanesh. It should make for some very unique looking models.

Bonus: Chariot of Tzeentch!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Red Shoe posted:

The subtler look is less ostentatious

Which is completely wrong for a Slaaneshi army. MORE OSTENTATIOUSNESS!

I think it's a cool effect, as long as it's not overusedput on every single unit in the army.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The most fabulousest Umber Hulk. I really like the look of that on the Umber Hulk, it's just perfectly beetle-y. It's a spray?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dexefiend posted:

Now I just gotta paint a hell of a lot more mans, and go to a glass shop for more shelves.
Where did you get those and how much.

I need some to protect my stuff from dust and pollen(because we have a pine forest near the house and you can literally SEE the pollen in the air sometimes) without just sticking them in a box.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Captain Invictus posted:

I need some to protect my stuff from dust and pollen(because we have a pine forest near the house and you can literally SEE the pollen in the air sometimes) without just sticking them in a box.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/

They are good, but require more shelves, and they will fit as space mans aren't as tall as vases.

If you search for "detolf adding shelves" you get a few good results but this one is the one I was looking for

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Customizing_a_Glass_Display_Case_by_AesSedai

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
I've been gabbing a lot about MERCS, so, I painted some.

This was my first experiment using resin bases. I used both MicroArtStudio and DarkWerks GroundWerks for these guys - I think they mix well.

Fake Edit: After previewing to make sure I didn't break tables... I just. Why. Why did I think these were good? All those mistakes. :negative:

Real Edit: Holy poo poo, and I missed flash too. gently caress.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

thespaceinvader posted:

The most fabulousest Umber Hulk. I really like the look of that on the Umber Hulk, it's just perfectly beetle-y. It's a spray?

It's a two-part, 6 stage spray deal if I remember correctly. You can easily find it at any auto parts store, though you may only find the one variety; can't miss it either, larger box near the paints with a bike helmet all sprayed up with this poo poo on it.
It's nice to see how that looks on a miniature, as I've been curious about it myself for some time. I thought about doing power weapon effects with it at first, but in the end I felt that it wasn't worth the $40.00 to just do weapons.

Which reminds me: Manifest, when I explained how I did the power weapons on my Grey Knights, I forgot one important step: after it was sprayed and highlighted but before I did the glaze at the bottom, I did an oil paint filter over the whole blade: basically a dab of bright yellow before carefully wiping it along the entire length and then removing the excess with some more careful wiping. It helped a ton to smooth out the colors and to brighten up everything without changing it so much that it detracted from the effect. I used water-based oils for that step, if it matters for your notes.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'm working on some Infinity stuff, and crossposting from said thread! I've been playing with using about half a dozen really watery layers of Ulthan Grey, I do love that colour so very much.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out what sort of accent colour to accompany them in visors/weaponry/similar digital devices should be.

e: oh hell they look like some sort of terrible ming vase wardolls :negative:

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 9, 2012

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

WAR FOOT posted:

At the moment I'm trying to figure out what sort of accent colour to accompany them in visors/weaponry/similar digital devices should be.

Orange. Do I get a PaintVagrant Treat now? :allears:

Personally a subdued red, like a vermillion would also be nice.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm working on some Infinity stuff, and crossposting from said thread! I've been playing with using about half a dozen really watery layers of Ulthan Grey, I do love that colour so very much.

e: oh hell they look like some sort of terrible ming vase wardolls :negative:

I was about to say they have a look like the Chinoiserie stuff that shows up on Antiques Roadshow and it's *awesome*.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Captain Invictus posted:

Sticking with the Ikea theme, having tried the Detolf case and found myself underwhelmed by it's drawbacks, I decided to get some Billy bookcases with the optional glass shelves and doors.
The shelves can be bought as and when you need them, but unfortunately you can only fit one set of doors on each Billy, either on top or bottom half. Still, it's a good way of integrating models into the rest of your storage.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

KozmoNaut posted:

Which is completely wrong for a Slaaneshi army. MORE OSTENTATIOUSNESS!

I think it's a cool effect, as long as it's not overusedput on every single unit in the army.

Don't worry. Just fiends. It did occur to me that it may make for some interesting Dark Eldar vehicles, though. I wish I could test it out without completely ruining one if I didn't like it. A Venom would be the best thing to sacrifice.

Sole.Sushi posted:

It's a two-part, 6 stage spray deal if I remember correctly. You can easily find it at any auto parts store, though you may only find the one variety; can't miss it either, larger box near the paints with a bike helmet all sprayed up with this poo poo on it.
It's nice to see how that looks on a miniature, as I've been curious about it myself for some time. I thought about doing power weapon effects with it at first, but in the end I felt that it wasn't worth the $40.00 to just do weapons.

The box I picked up was 3-part. The valuable thing being the mirage spray, the other two are just primer and some kind of varnish. The process is prime>mirage>mirage>mirage>mirage>clearcoat.

I think I prefer the look of contra-shaded power weapons to the effect the spray gives, but it would probably work well with certain color schemes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Red Shoe posted:

This is after fully painting the Umber Hulk:

Oh, hello every genestealer I'm ever going to paint.

Seriously, in your opinion how difficult would it be to glam-up a genestealer and then paint the non-chitin parts in normal colors? And does a gloss-varnish preserve the shimmer effect?

e:

KozmoNaut posted:

Ordinarily I'd agree, but Tyranids are going to be the exception. :colbert:

moths fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 9, 2012

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

moths posted:

Oh, hello every genestealer I'm ever going to paint.

Seriously, in your opinion how difficult would it be to glam-up a genestealer and then paint the non-chitin parts in normal colors? And does a gloss-varnish preserve the shimmer effect?

e:

Ordinarily I'd agree, but Tyranids are going to be the exception. :colbert:

The only problem with painting over the spray is that it leaves the surface very smooth, meaning paint does not grip it as well. If you can deal with that issue, you would be fine.

Gloss varnish absolutely preserves the shimmer effect.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wonder if I'd have luck with masking? If I give it a try, I'll post a trip report.

e: Blu tac sounds like the right idea, thanks!

moths fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 9, 2012

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Question for people using the new GW paints: how do the golds compare with the old ones?

More specifically, I'm wondering how my recipe of tin bitz/bestial brown + shining gold + devlan mud + burnished gold will carry over to the new range. From what I've seen the equivalents... are not very equivalent. Agrax Earthshade also behaves differently.

I would have thought this would be fairly documented, but I can barely find anything about the gold paints :(

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

moths posted:

I wonder if I'd have luck with masking? If I give it a try, I'll post a trip report.

I'd try blu-tac or liquid masking personally.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Tollymain posted:

Well, I have my little mans now, I just need to buy some painting supplies and a steadier hand :v:

For steady hands, either touch your wrists together, or rest the mini or hand holding the mini on your knee, and then rest the wrist holding the paint brush on that same knee. Even just touching the pinkies of your two hands together will help steady your hands.

Since it sounds like you are starting from scratch:

1) Layers. Layers layers layers. You are painting in layers. Painting minis is about layers. I repeated the hell out of that because it is true facts. Your mini will look like poo poo if you are not layering. Quick paint jobs simply involve fewer layers. Paint doesn't cover up the last thing you paint on that section, and if your paint IS doing that, you are doing it wrong (i.e. expect to lay down a poo poo ton of layers to paint white on an area of black, and even then, it won't be pure white).

2) Make a wet palette. No really, trust me.
-Get a roll of parchment paper from the grocery store. (i.e. http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/reynoldskitchens/en/product.asp?cat_id=1337&prod_id=1799)
-Get a plate with a raised edge (plastic plates from the grocery store work great)
-Put a layer of tissue paper or TP on plate
-Pour water on the tissue paper. Really wet it down, it should be a puddle.
-Cut out a section of parchment paper and place it on top of the water/tissue paper.
-Mix your paints on the surface of the parchment paper.

This will keep your paints from drying out in a matter of minutes. Mini paint is expensive as hell, and thick paints are bad. If you put something to cover the wet palette the paints you mixed will keep for hours if not days.

3) Mix water into your paints after you take them out of the bottle. Just do it. Gloppy paint looks like poo poo. If it isn't getting enough coverage, wait like 30 seconds for it to dry and paint another layer.

4) Get some Citadel Shade. No really. Just do it. Like cheating in a bottle.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat800004a&rootCatGameStyle=
-Get them from Games Workshop. They are no inks, they are a GW secret sauce thing.
-Get a pot of Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade, Reikland Flesh
-Paint a basecoat, then simply slather this stuff on it to shade the model.
-Paint only the raised sections with the color of the base coat (thin your drat paint!)

5) Privater Press Paints are good, Vallejo paints are good, Games Workshop paints are good but their new line is a little 'over-helpful' and I think ultimately confusing for the user (it is like a paint line designed by whatever rear end in a top hat put Clippy the paperclip in Microsoft Word).

6) Get ACTUAL primer. If you don't, you can often times end up with the paint literally rubbing off the points of the model.

You need something that was made when actual professional chemistry people sat down and said "well poo poo, we need something that will stick to metal that paint will also stick to". Don't use Gesso, because right on the bottle is says it is only for wood or canvas and not to use it on non-porous surfaces (i.e. metal and plastic). GW sells you spray PAINT, not PRIMER. It is literally chaos black paint in a can, they do it because they are actual bastards.

Automotive PRIMER like duplicolor works pretty well. You just won't lose enough detail to matter for table top quality or newbie painting levels. Paint on primer from a bottle works better, and applying primer with an airbrush is pretty much the best.

7) Paint jobs just take time. They ALL look like poo poo until the layers get built up enough to the point that they don't look like poo poo. If you don't like how it looks, just keep adding thinned down paint and fiddling with it until it looks better.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

*painting advice*
Also: don't worry, all your models WILL look like utter poo poo before shading. The earliest moment you can check their actual look is after washing them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Incoming picture dump of an army painted to table top standard!

Not pictured: Another 10 Purifiers armed in exactly the same way as the others.

This was a personal test for me to actually paint a significant amount of models in a small time frame. I gave myself to the end of May to finish them and while I came in 7 days late it's still the fastest I've ever got that amount of models done.

I actually really enjoyed doing this, and I think I could do it again to power through another army or so. I'm going to have to do one or two single miniatures first though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Went back to my old love, spaceships! I swear they are the only thing that are easy enough to paint that I can just finish them before my attention span wanders.

These are some new designs I am selling.

Group shots

Superheavy Bomber (12mm across)

Stealth Destroyer (45mm long)

Stealth Cruiser (65mm long)

Stealth Carrier (50mm long)

Heavy Fighter (5mm long)

Assault Destroyer (20mm long)

I really like how well the fighters turned out. There's detail on them that I actually didn't bother to paint. These little buggers are much, much better than my first attempt at them (ugh).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Went back to my old love, spaceships! I swear they are the only thing that are easy enough to paint that I can just finish them before my attention span wanders.

These are some new designs I am selling.

Group shots

They look right out of Homeworld :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Sticking with the Ikea theme, having tried the Detolf case and found myself underwhelmed by it's drawbacks, I decided to get some Billy bookcases with the optional glass shelves and doors.
The shelves can be bought as and when you need them, but unfortunately you can only fit one set of doors on each Billy, either on top or bottom half. Still, it's a good way of integrating models into the rest of your storage.

I can't tell which one exactly that is on Ikea's site, mind linking it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Billy is a very versatile system with lots of variants and options, you will just have to look around to see what options suit your needs.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/11686/

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 9, 2012

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

This one plus some glass doors.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cyclomatic posted:

6) Get ACTUAL primer. If you don't, you can often times end up with the paint literally rubbing off the points of the model.

You need something that was made when actual professional chemistry people sat down and said "well poo poo, we need something that will stick to metal that paint will also stick to". Don't use Gesso, because right on the bottle is says it is only for wood or canvas and not to use it on non-porous surfaces (i.e. metal and plastic). GW sells you spray PAINT, not PRIMER. It is literally chaos black paint in a can, they do it because they are actual bastards.

Automotive PRIMER like duplicolor works pretty well. You just won't lose enough detail to matter for table top quality or newbie painting levels. Paint on primer from a bottle works better, and applying primer with an airbrush is pretty much the best.

I use gesso because there's no way for me to easily spray prime miniatures here unless I want to stand in the street and do it (or risk spraying in a rented flat, which I'm really not keen on doing). Are there any good brush-on primers?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I use gesso because there's no way for me to easily spray prime miniatures here unless I want to literally stand in the street and do it (or risk spraying in a rented flat, which I'm really not keen on doing). Are there any good brush-on primers?

Yes, Reaper makes both white and black ones (which I mix to make grey when I need to brush prime), and I think Vallejo does as well.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dominion posted:

Yes, Reaper makes both white and black ones (which I mix to make grey when I need to brush prime), and I think Vallejo does as well.

Cool - I stupidly didn't realise such a thing existed - buying the Vallejo one, and they do other colours too!

Hodgesaargh
Oct 25, 2010
Anyone got a link for that tutorial painting orks from a yellow sprayed basecoat? Think it originated on the forums, trying to find a link for a friend who's painting imperial fists.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The resin casting tutorial in the OP is fantastic, I can't wait to try something like that, but is there a similar tutorial that shows making small items like skulls, helmets, weapons, crates, etc.? I want to try making scenery for games like 40K and Infinity with random scattered items and these would help me build up my confidence while working up to bigger things (plus molding tiny pieces is much cheaper).

e: I mean 2-piece molds, just want to see how someone did the same thing as the guy making the tank hull, but in a much smaller size.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 9, 2012

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
'sup, guys.
Cyclomatic- your painting tips are awesome.
Z the IVth- love those ships, so refreshing (did you see Dropship Commander?) Wait, you made these?!?!?!? :aaaaa:
serious gaylord- that's a good paint job!

Started V.05
This is 3 layers in. The wires were especially fiddly this time. It's not even the base layer. I'm going to sand this down, cut it into shape and make a super flat base layer with superfine milliput.

Made some concept sketches. I really want/need to do more of these. I've got the new sketchbook funk where I'm panicking that I forgot how to draw.

Posed the dude who got ears and some hair.

Made another skull.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Captain Invictus posted:

Mango Polo posted:

This one plus some glass doors.

Yeah that one, and a 40cm wide Billy alongside it. Doors are, I think, 'Morebos'. They come with black/white removable card inserts so may not be immediately obvious on the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Hellbeard posted:

Z the IVth- love those ships, so refreshing (did you see Dropship Commander?) Wait, you made these?!?!?!? :aaaaa:

Yep, and I sell them in my little shop of horrors: http://z4miniatures.blogspot.com

I can't sculpt organics like you, which I think is a real skill. I tried a couple of times, but they just looked awful. Been sticking to spaceships and battlesuits since.

• Locked thread