Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I've known about that for a long while. I use it all the time with terminal. It adds in the escape characters and everything for you. Really useful.

Now the rectangular block delete by holding option and dragging. Just learned that in the python thread and mind is blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

KingEup posted:

Do we know about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqTKFPw154

Just used this feature to figure out the path to my new WDTV media player NAS.

vikingstrike posted:

I've known about that for a long while. I use it all the time with terminal. It adds in the escape characters and everything for you. Really useful.

Now the rectangular block delete by holding option and dragging. Just learned that in the python thread and mind is blown.

You drag-and-drop straight into Terminal and it will do that for you. You can also copy the file/folder and paste it in Terminal for the same result.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Toe Rag posted:

You drag-and-drop straight into Terminal and it will do that for you. You can also copy the file/folder and paste it in Terminal for the same result.

Yeah, the copy/paste way of doing it is pretty helpful too. Just kind of depends on how many windows are open for me. I'm not sure if Linux distros like Fedora do this.... Now I'm curious.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mithra6 posted:

I'm running Lion, and I'm trying to find an app that can display folder sizes for whole computer. I know Windows has an app called Tree Size, and would like something like that for Mac.

My drive is getting full, and I'm curious if there are some folders I'm not thinking of that I could clean out.
DaisyDisk is on the App Store and it's great, but not free. Great UI, and it made my life a lot easier living with 64GB in an Air.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

ephori posted:

DaisyDisk is on the App Store and it's great, but not free. Great UI, and it made my life a lot easier living with 64GB in an Air.

For a free app that isn't as pretty as DaisyDisk but gets the job done, try out GrandPerspective.

http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Again, these are all listed in the OP.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
I've got a new SSD for my Mini and I've got a quick question about doing a clean install of Lion.

I'm assuming if you use a USB drive that just has Lion Recovery on it, since it has to download everything you'll be getting 10.7.4, correct? Is that also the case if you install by re-downloading the Lion installer and creating a bootable USB install disk?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

As of like 3 days ago, Internet Recovery was still installing 10.7.3 for me. I have no idea what the App Store downloads.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Is there an Applescript function to tell iTunes to update iTunes Match?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Checked here? http://dougscripts.com/itunes/

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Again, these are all listed in the OP.

What is this "OP" you speak of?

Other Place? Optional Programs?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

kapalama posted:

What is this "OP" you speak of?

Other Place? Optional Programs?

Original Post...

Sankra
Jul 27, 2007

Mithra6 posted:

I'm running Lion, and I'm trying to find an app that can display folder sizes for whole computer. I know Windows has an app called Tree Size, and would like something like that for Mac.

My drive is getting full, and I'm curious if there are some folders I'm not thinking of that I could clean out.

Use Disk Inventory X (http://www.derlien.com/), the OS X equivalent of WinDirStat.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I loving hate you guys.

I'd put you on probation Sankra, but you've only posted 4 times in 5 years and I think it would scare you off permanently.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 8, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, now you know why my catchphrase used to be "Read the mythical OP you guys" back in the old hardware megathread.

Edit: dunno if it really works well but I've been using the Do Not Track Safari extension; I feel pretty good about being 'under the radar,' so to speak. It even tries to make a game out of it by counting how many trackers it's defeated and gives you achievements, er, medals for that number. For example, I almost did my entire quota on one website, Tech Crunch. Figures.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 8, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Keynote thread is up if you want to bookmark it now and mark your calendars. :)

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Mithra6 posted:

Thanks for the suggestions goons. My coworker mentioned Omnidisk Sweeper, and it's exactly what I was looking for. It's also free.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

As of like 3 days ago, Internet Recovery was still installing 10.7.3 for me. I have no idea what the App Store downloads.
I'm pretty sure the App Store downloads 10.7.4. Weird that Internet Recovery would still be 10.7.3.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Back before the beginning of time there was StickyBrain which was awesome for grabbing bits of text and throwing them in a bin, and remembering the websites they came from etc.

I come across this line:

quote:

It's important to remember that every reality is always happening at the same time.

in this well-written article about well nothing much, and I know at some point, I will want to reread this article, and enjoy the writing again.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7846322/taking-concert-doubleheader-creed-nickelback-world-most-hated-bands
(actually apropos of nothing Mac, that website has some of the most interesting writing I have read in years, and all of it about nothing. I love cultural studies done right.)

When StickyBrain was good before it became the steamy mess the devloper turned it into. Is there something like that around now?

I don't want to tweet these things, or share them. I just want to stash my little OCD scraps of paper where I can find them later.

EverNote never seemed to do it right for me. Should I give EverNote another chance?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 9, 2012

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Take a look at notational velocity. It's a lot slimmer and more focused than Evernote. May work for you.

http://notational.net/

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

vikingstrike posted:

Take a look at notational velocity. It's a lot slimmer and more focused than Evernote. May work for you.

http://notational.net/

If you're going with Notational Velocity, definitely use http://brettterpstra.com/project/nvalt/ . It's a fork and it's much better. I've been using it for about 6 month, and I still use Evernote for a few things, but nvALT is much faster and easier to edit than Evernote for text-only.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Thanks!!

Two FOSS options!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

My MBP's doing a weird thing: sometimes (but not always) when I open it, with a far form empty battery, it'll do the dead-battery waking from sleep thing (with the slow progress bar), instead of just waking up normally. Anyone know why it would do that?

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea
I'm having a strange issue with Software Update. It keeps trying to get me to install the wireless keyboard firmware update but when I try it says that my keyboard is already up to date. I close out Software Update and a few hours later it tells me I need to install the firmware update again. Any idea what is going on here?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know of a way to copy all of the folders in a Finder window, without copying their contents? I could copy all the folders with contents, and then empty them, but I didn't know if anyone had an easier, less hard drive fragmenting, way they know.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

IUG posted:

Does anyone know of a way to copy all of the folders in a Finder window, without copying their contents? I could copy all the folders with contents, and then empty them, but I didn't know if anyone had an easier, less hard drive fragmenting, way they know.

You can do this in Terminal/bash:

find /path/to/dir -type d | while read a;do mkdir -p /new/path/"$a";done

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 11, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

You can do this in Terminal/bash:

find /path/to/dir -type d | while read a;do mkdir -p /new/path/"$a";done

I did this, but got a folder for /Volumes, all the folders in between, and then all the subfolders past the directory I listed in the first arguement. Any way to just copy the folders in that one directory?

I mean, that line is wizardry to me, but it mostly worked it seems.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

IUG posted:

I did this, but got a folder for /Volumes, all the folders in between, and then all the subfolders past the directory I listed in the first arguement. Any way to just copy the folders in that one directory?

I mean, that line is wizardry to me, but it mostly worked it seems.

I might be confused. You want to basically replicate the directory structure of the current directory and all subdirectories, excluding their contents, right? Or just the top-most directory? For the former:

cd /path/to/dir
find . -type d | while read a;do mkdir -p /new/path/"$a";done

and the latter:

Add -maxdepth 1 after -type d

Both of those should leave out all the "parent" directories, as well.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The maxdepth 1 option did what I wanted, thanks. But yeah, for some reason I got /Volumes/Leela/xxx/yyy/zzz/Target for some reason. Oh well, just ran the command a few times to get all the different directories, and then I'm tossing all the extra empty folders. Thanks.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've got an external Sound Card with a dial for the monitor levels, which is cool, but renders my Volume + / - buttons on the keyboard useless. Is there a way to bind them to the iTunes volume control?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

IUG posted:

The maxdepth 1 option did what I wanted, thanks. But yeah, for some reason I got /Volumes/Leela/xxx/yyy/zzz/Target for some reason. Oh well, just ran the command a few times to get all the different directories, and then I'm tossing all the extra empty folders. Thanks.

His revision had you perform a 'cd' before you ran the find command. If you do that the parent folder issue should be solved.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

well why not posted:

I've got an external Sound Card with a dial for the monitor levels, which is cool, but renders my Volume + / - buttons on the keyboard useless. Is there a way to bind them to the iTunes volume control?

USB Overdrive can probably do it.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

well why not posted:

I use KeyRemap4Macbook (that name, christ) to remap certain things for a 3rd Party keyboard I use. It will let you remap just about every key (as well as define which keyboards you want to remap: for example I have it set to never remap Apple Keyboards), sounds like it might do what you're looking for: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25141/keyremap4macbook

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
The gpu on my macbook pro failed, but otherwise it appears to boot fine.

Is there any way to initiate filesharing/remote login over ethernet from another mac if I haven't already?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I believe you can still boot into Target Disk Mode, if you can connect them via Firewire cable. Basically boot the Mac and hold down T after connecting it to the other mac with the Firewire cable.

edit: That is if you just want access to the files.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

DarkJC posted:

I believe you can still boot into Target Disk Mode, if you can connect them via Firewire cable. Basically boot the Mac and hold down T after connecting it to the other mac with the Firewire cable.

edit: That is if you just want access to the files.

Yes this was the suggestion I just got off the phone to my campus computer store. I'll be trying this out, thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This has been bothering me for a while. Why do they change the layout in Finder for Downloads? :argh:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? It's sorted funny and I can't resize the columns! :argh:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

This has been bothering me for a while. Why do they change the layout in Finder for Downloads? :argh:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? It's sorted funny and I can't resize the columns! :argh:
You have it to "arrange by" rather than "sort by". Go into the View Options (cmd-J) and change it there.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

View | Arrange By. None will revert to Pre-Lion behavior.

There is a way to resize the columns, but hell if I can remember it. (Which makes it a stupid one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! :siren:

Do you want to know all about iOS 6, OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion", new Macs, and all of the other cool poo poo Apple talks about as it happens?! Of course you do! Click the gigantic image or right here to head over to the WWDC thread so you can discuss and follow along.

We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you!