Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I ETS'd a few days ago. I'm couch-surfing in one city for the next six weeks, then I'm permanently moving to another city. Is it worth it to go and register now, or should I wait until I'm totally relocated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Are you planning on taking summer semester or waiting for the fall? If you're waiting for the fall, you'll be fine waiting the six weeks or so, but summer semesters generally start enrollment in, what, March?

So summer, do it now. Fall, wait.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Sorry, my bad. No school at all. Just wondering if it's more trouble than it's worth to do the 10-10EZ here versus six weeks from now for general VA benefits.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ah, sorry, just suspected otherwise with 'register'. If you don't have any pressing medical issues, wait the six weeks. It took the VA here about 6 months to realize that yes, I had in fact moved, and given them the new address well over a dozen times, but they still kept sending my poo poo to my old address and my appointment notices were showing up a day or two before and sometimes after my appointments.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Busket_in_Posket, you might want to add https://www.benefits.gov to the OP, specific
http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/browse-by-category/category/VAD but every one should at least take the Benefits.gov questionnaire.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Any idea why my compensation claim would go back from Prepare for notification to review of evidence?

edit: I got my rating, but it went back because one of my claims had to go back to the medical official for clarification.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 25, 2012

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TLG James posted:

Any idea why my compensation claim would go back from Prepare for notification to review of evidence?

edit: I got my rating, but it went back because one of my claims had to go back to the medical official for clarification.

The same thing happened to me. drat the VA is frustrating. 17 months and counting...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I know you can't answer this for a few days, t_bright, but did you ever get a VSO to look into helping your claim out?

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spongebob Tampax posted:

I know you can't answer this for a few days, t_bright, but did you ever get a VSO to look into helping your claim out?

Yup, but I think I'm gonna try again. Hopefully this time it will work.

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010
Month 17. C&P claim status: Pending Decision Approval. Where's the Smilie of Arnold Schwarzenegger's eyes popping out in "Total Recall"?

Anyone have any practical knowledge on how long this step takes?

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

tacotuesday posted:

Month 17. C&P claim status: Pending Decision Approval. Where's the Smilie of Arnold Schwarzenegger's eyes popping out in "Total Recall"?

Anyone have any practical knowledge on how long this step takes?

The initial is supposed to be around 8 months. Viet Nam vets have a fast track program but the ones I know haven't been much faster then other vets.

Is this a first request or an appeal?
Have you had the QTC?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Sounds like there's a decision, so that's at least something. Just waiting on approval.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
I just tried to sign into the eBenefits portal and can't figure out how to sign in. You get a new tab to sign in on but then after you sign in I can't figure out how to get the ebenefits page to show anything.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
Still on Gathering Evidence. Month 21.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
This question is a little different than most, but I guess this is the best place to ask it.

A few months ago my wife got in a car accident in which she hurt her neck/back. Since it wasn't her fault we'll be getting a settlement from the other driver's insurance company, but there is a bit of a snag. My wife is a disabled veteran, 50% disabled due to a back/neck injury. Her condition is worse since the accident, but the insurance company wants proof of the previous injury to compare to the medical records of her exams following the accident.

Unfortunately that means we need her VA medical records, which they supposedly can't find due to her visiting various VA hospitals over the years. Is there a central point/place we could contact that would be able to track down these records? When she visits a VA hospital/clinic do they just send a copy of her records from a central location, or do they send the actual record via mail or something?

Thanks

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Risket posted:

Is there a central point/place we could contact that would be able to track down these records? When she visits a VA hospital/clinic do they just send a copy of her records from a central location, or do they send the actual record via mail or something?

Thanks

All VA treatment records are electronically available to any medical center or regional office. I would recommend having your wife contact the release of information office at her local VA medical center to request copies of her treatment records. As for her service treatment records, if she does not have a personal copy of them, she should request those from the local VA regional Office which currently has her claim file.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I think the time you wait is based on location. I started mine in San Diego when I got out last November. I got to my hometown and about March I get a letter from the local VA telling me I had to come in. San Diego neglected to send them my info and just told them to redo my case.

So restart March and by the end of April I started getting my disability check plus retroactive from November.

Yes your stuff can be kept electronically but my junk wasn't.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
I have heard bad things about the San Diego office. They also cover Orange County (South of LA)

Mine is still in the 1st phase of the appeal after 6 months.

Austin Powers
Aug 13, 2011
My dad got 100% disability approved recently, and he told me I can receive a monthly check of about $900 since I'm in college and dependent. Something about Chapter 35. Is this retroactive? He started filing in 2010 which was also when I started college, and this covers you for about 45 months.

How do I claim this and what do I do to get the monthly stipends? Thanks in advance.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

Austin Powers posted:

My dad got 100% disability approved recently, and he told me I can receive a monthly check of about $900 since I'm in college and dependent. Something about Chapter 35. Is this retroactive? He started filing in 2010 which was also when I started college, and this covers you for about 45 months.

How do I claim this and what do I do to get the monthly stipends? Thanks in advance.

I went to college under this same program before I went into the service so I am familiar with it. All I had to do on my end was go to see the VA rep at my school and fill out paperwork about myself as well as my father. Once everything was in the system (which can be quite a chore), I was able to sign up for classes, have them paid for, then receive my monthly stipend within the first month of starting the whole process. You just have to continuously ask sometimes to get everything pushed through so don't worry about pestering the VA rep as well as the VA itself (as long as you do it respectfully). I am pretty sure that it is not retroactive, but I could be wrong.

BITCHTITS
Oct 22, 2003

Perry'd

So my first college doesn't have a fresh start program, and I literally have a .9 GPA there with about ~36 credits attempted. I've been talking to them about getting my first year withdraw, which is about 6 F's, but I need medical documentation. Anyone gone down this road and can give me some pointers to help me get a win?

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

BITCHTITS posted:

So my first college doesn't have a fresh start program, and I literally have a .9 GPA there with about ~36 credits attempted. I've been talking to them about getting my first year withdraw, which is about 6 F's, but I need medical documentation. Anyone gone down this road and can give me some pointers to help me get a win?

I am not 100% sure I am answering your question, but for me, on my enrolling, the Special Programs counselor gave me a form that I gave to my psychologist.

It has a checklist with disabilities and "educational limitations" It has a comment section where my psychologist gave some recommendations like alternate testing, tutors etc.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com
I am wondering if anyone is familiar with gettiing aid or benefits for spouses of deceased service members. Reason being my grandmother is in need of additional care due to her development of Alzeimers and some nurses at her home recommend checking with the VA since she could be eligible. I am not sure where to start so i figured I would ask here. My grandfather served in the Navy and was in the Korean War and died of a heart attack at a rather young age. Where would I start as I know one thing I need to do is locate his discharge paperwork.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Start here: http://www.vba.va.gov/survivors/

Not experienced in it, just know where to start looking.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone had any experience with VA psychiatrists? If I need meds, can/will my VA doc prescribe them or will he first have to refer me to the psych (aka, make a second appointment 5 months out)?

My experience with the VA the last two years have been less than stellar. However, they have all my records and history, and with insurance uncertain since I'm changing jobs, I'm a bit wary of going to a civilian doc.

EDIT: While on the same topic, if I were to go with a civilian doc, should I go to a GP or a psychiatrist? I have no idea how any of this works. Did over a year of therapy with a Vet Center therapist and I think it honestly did nothing. I have no idea what my first step should be to get help that actually helps.

FooGoo fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 8, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Yes, you'll have to go through psych. However, if you have a previous prescription they can have someone order a refill while you wait for your referral.

I got pretty fed up with waiting and the quality of care was abysmal so I just suck up and pay a copay and use my tricare out in town. Right now I have my primary care doc do my med management and I see a therapist. May switch to a psychiatrist for med management, not sure yet.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

front wing flexing posted:

Yes, you'll have to go through psych. However, if you have a previous prescription they can have someone order a refill while you wait for your referral.

I got pretty fed up with waiting and the quality of care was abysmal so I just suck up and pay a copay and use my tricare out in town. Right now I have my primary care doc do my med management and I see a therapist. May switch to a psychiatrist for med management, not sure yet.

Sounds about right for the VA, so the civilian General Practice doc can help me with meds and won't just refer me to a psych? Might sound odd, but I don't think I've ever gone to "the doctor" other than ER or for something very specific so I don't know how much of this works :shrug:. Might as well use my PPO while I still have it...

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Anyone know what the thing is called where the VA pays you travel costs to get to the hospital? Who would I talk to about that?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You mean travel pay? There should be an office in the hospital specifically for that reason. Just ask someone at an information desk when you go in next time, they should point you to the right place. I never bothered with it since I've lived within 20 miles of a VA hospital since I got out.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Is there a mileage limit on it? I live 30 miles from my VA but I'm there a lot and thought it might be worth looking into.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm fairly sure there isn't. To me it just doesn't seem worth my time for a 40 cents per mile. According to this, I'm not eligible anyhow, as I only have 10% SCD.

http://www1.va.gov/CBO/cbo/brochures/travelbrochfinal1209.pdf

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Why is it that everybody says I can suspend paying my car loan while deployed. From all the research SCRA doesn't have that provision.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

HClChicken posted:

Why is it that everybody says I can suspend paying my car loan while deployed. From all the research SCRA doesn't have that provision.

As far as I know, that's definitely not true. There are companies that will let you suspend service as courtesy like cellphone, cable companies but I've never seen a car loan suspended. Especially when there are things like compound interest involved.

Why would you want to anyway? When I deployed I made double/triple payments on things while I had that sweet deployment cash.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Also, when you defer a cell contract or cable contract, the deferment time is added on to your original contract.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

front wing flexing posted:

As far as I know, that's definitely not true. There are companies that will let you suspend service as courtesy like cellphone, cable companies but I've never seen a car loan suspended. Especially when there are things like compound interest involved.

Why would you want to anyway? When I deployed I made double/triple payments on things while I had that sweet deployment cash.

So that when I come back I'll have X much more money for school later. I'm leaning to selling the drat thing and keeping the beater car.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

HClChicken posted:

So that when I come back I'll have X much more money for school later. I'm leaning to selling the drat thing and keeping the beater car.

I would just sell the car then. Especially if you're getting out.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Can anyone give me a definitive answer on which types of orders count towards the Post 9/11 GI Bill? ADOS-RC orders are the type I will be on shortly and I find half of the people I ask say it does count and half say it doesn't. I'm currently on 29 days of AT and will be on 89 days of ADT next week. I understand neither of those count towards the bill (although ADT does have the words "active duty" right in the name of the type of order). Anyone?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on which types of orders count towards the Post 9/11 GI Bill? ADOS-RC orders are the type I will be on shortly and I find half of the people I ask say it does count and half say it doesn't. I'm currently on 29 days of AT and will be on 89 days of ADT next week. I understand neither of those count towards the bill (although ADT does have the words "active duty" right in the name of the type of order). Anyone?

Active Duty for Training does not count.

edit: Generally speaking the only time that will count is either for-real AD time or deployments.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Vasudus posted:

Active Duty for Training does not count.

edit: Generally speaking the only time that will count is either for-real AD time or deployments.

I know AGR and other Guard Soldiers get the shaft in many situations because they are serving full time under Title 32 (which does not count), but will ADOS-RC orders count because it's "real" AD time serving under Title 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I know AGR and other Guard Soldiers get the shaft in many situations because they are serving full time under Title 32 (which does not count), but will ADOS-RC orders count because it's "real" AD time serving under Title 10?

I think they changed it so that Title 32 orders count. However, ADT time, such as AT, still does not.

• Locked thread