Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Zewle posted:

I liked some of the touches like the changes to the assassination scene, but the animation was awful. I understand its the only affordable way but goddamn. Most of the time stuff looks like a sloppy low-budget PS2 FMV. I think the cheaper earlier animation honestly looked better. At least the series coloring didn't make static clothes look like a untalented teenagers ms paint project.

I thought the coloring was pretty awesome in the movie. Especially compared to the original series coloring. For comparison: http://youtu.be/MV5B-gLgLSI
The movie looks so much more professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

I don't think 3D versus 2D is really that black and white. I'm sure a Pixar movie is just as much hard work and effort as a similar length classic hand-drawn Disney movie. The CGI in this movie in particular was clearly low quality, it didn't have very complex rendering or a lot of complicated animation.

Miura's art is truly a feast for the 3D artist. In the beginning of the manga, Guts encountered Femto in multidimensional space, which was essentially an architectural conundrum fashioned after the Penrose Stairs. To model such architecture would be impossible, since its dimensions would constantly change depending on the position of the viewer.

Light diffusion, refraction, dissipation, and dispersion makes rendering the living nigh impossible using conventional technologies. Even George Lucas couldn't accurately render laser warfare believably, since that would require adjusting the effect of dozens of light sources constantly shifting at 60 frames per second upon two armies of fully-rendered combatants.

I hope this can be proven wrong.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man, that just struck a weird chord in my head. One of the best things about the movie is how great the environments look in terms of detail and color and whatnot; and right now they're just prancing around battlefields and such. When this series gets to some of the more... imaginary... settings... :allears:

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For all the controversy I thought this movie pretty much did everything right.

First, the animation. Obviously at 3 movies a year, limited release, there's a pretty clear gap between what's on paper and what the movie is going to be able to produce. But the coloring and art direction for the most part guarantee that even though the CG is rarely convincing (and how convincing does it need to be for a cartoon anyway?) it's at the very least vibrant and eye-catching, my favorite example being when Griffith saves Charlotte. The director also deserves some praise for using the CG to allow camera movement in shots impossible to do well with 2D animation on this budget (or any non Akira-level budget)--the fight on the ramparts being the best example.

The plot choices all make sense. The Black Swordsman arc is, if you remember, the one Miura still has issues with--it spoils a lot of things too early, and I have to think leaving it out was a good idea. After all, some people might not be familiar with the comic, so briefly having Guts talk with a fairy and fight thousands of monsters could be pretty drat confusing for newcomers that won't see the eclipse until 8 months later. And the manga will always be there anyway. I actually really enjoyed the relationship it kept with the source material--Guts' own rape and upbringing being implied with stills was pretty graceful considering the pace these films need to keep, and their message (BUY THE MANGA). As for the complaints on the various members of the Band of the Hawk not getting much screentime, I thought everyone's treatment was about an equal ratio to their importance to the story (and Pippin's entire character was established in a scene where he doesn't say anything, which is great).

Also I liked the music, it was way better than most fantasy soundtracks and contributed to the film without getting in the way (the series' super dramatic score was sort of hilarious juxtaposed with the low production values).

Looking forward to the next one. Sorry for typing with too much parenthesis.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011
What I find somewhat ridiculous is that they're saying they want to try and take in to account international sales for these films success, yet... they delay the release for one reason or another until six months after. Six months after subtitled BD rips have been on the internet. I haven't been following too much anime in the last few years but it absolutely dumbfounds me that in 2012 they still haven't figured this poo poo out.

If they're going with international sales to try and prop this thing up, well, enjoy the Golden Age films because I sincerely doubt we're going to get much else!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Wasn't friday supposed to be the release of new berserk chapters?

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
I thought the movie was pretty great, if they can manage to avoid some of the mistakes they made in the sequel, it'll be the best goddamn thing.

Really all of the problems I had were with the CG stuff when it was done poorly. They need to not gently caress with the framerate so much, avoid any sort of face shots/animation of non-background characters, and actually draw big Zodd.

More often than not, the cg stuff was pretty well done considering how low budget it must have been.

I'm also perfectly fine with the pacing, Golden Age was a little drawn out and dry anyway. I know it was lengthy to establish the characters, and make you give a drat about them, but good chunks could be removed without affecting the actual main plot.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
When Guts approached the guy (Basallo?) at the first battle and stuck his sword in the ground, for a second I thought I was watching a video game cutscene.

Overall not bad and I'm glad it's short because I have trouble staying hitched with anything over 40 minutes. But why? If there will be three movies, that won't go very far past the eclipse, if at all. There's so much material after that, so why a remake? Is it going to lead into something new being animated?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The next two movies are going to be 100 and 110 minutes. Judging from the first trailer for the movies and the art they have on the official site the third movie is going to get to at lest Puck. They're probably going to cover everything the first series did in half the time. Which compared to a lot of compilation movies isn't bad at all.

The first anime is 15 years old. There are literally people watching these movies who were toddlers when the show came out. A lot of them have no intention on watching the series. Even the people that did probably haven't watched since it was on TV. They have to start at the beginning. There is no advantage in starting as a sequel.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, I guess the idea is to get people excited but it feels SOOOO much more like an accompaniment than something that can stand on it's own I'm not sure the audience is there. It certainly wasn't for the series, at the time. I hope it does well overseas but I have a very strong feeling that we will only get the promised three, which is silly since, as stated, there's a pretty good anime version already, and the manga itself.

But yeah, there's no way that it was going to start after GA, at least not as movies. It would be totally incomprehensible.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Fair points. I thought the first movie was kind of incomprehensible. Would anyone understand what was going on in the rape/pseudo-patricide flashback if they weren't already familiar with the story?

Maybe in another 15 years we'll get a third version of the golden age to commemorate their arrival at elf island in the manga.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You wouldn't need to know exactly just that somethings happened in Gut's past that were very very bad. Though I'm pretty sure most people could figure it out or at lest the general implications.

If they make another set of movies in 15 years it's all going to be cg. Maybe they'll have the process down better then.

AnoMouse
Feb 13, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wasn't friday supposed to be the release of new berserk chapters?

It'll take a week or so for them to be translated but yes one was released.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I'm really hoping they get past the Eclipse at some point in these movies. I want to see that "Valley of the Fairies" arc animated as it was crazy :black101:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Here's chapter 328, the first of three flashback chapters.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Flashback chapters :negative:
I guess seeing more of Guts' childhood is interesting. Also, getting dicked over by that guy is totally in character for the Berserk world.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Never thought I'd be able to say this again but:

GAMBINO, YOU DICK.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Maybe Elf Island isn't really, like, a place, but rather the end of the Journey, man.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sindai posted:

Maybe Elf Island isn't really, like, a place, but rather the end of the Journey, man.

Don't worry, I'm sure we will get to Elf Island by 2017 or 2018 at the latest, but then I tend to be overly optimistic, so who knows.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Guts' bloody revenge on Griffith in 2050?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm hoping that this flashback is part of Gut's dream and that when he wakes up they'll be at Elf Island.

Oh who am I kidding, they'll get there in 5 years. If we're lucky.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Its weird seeing Guts with 2 hands.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Ccs posted:

I'm hoping that this flashback is part of Gut's dream and that when he wakes up they'll be at Elf Island.
This is what I am betting on, personally. The re-introduction of elves in a setting that was already explored with Puck and a wounded Guts in a dungeon in the very first volumes would make little sense otherwise.

Am I the only one who finds Martino's sly manipulation of Guts almost heart-warming, especially when contrasted with Gambino's half-assed attempt to get him killed (in the flashback-within-the-flashback)?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah I am pretty sure this is Miura's attempt to handle the passage of time internally in the work without wasting time. Basically, he wants to transition to Elf Island at this point, but jumping straight there messes throws off the internal pacing and comes off weird. By going WAKE UP WE'RE HERE after three chapters gives an implication of time-passage.

Miura is a pretty competent writer when he wants to be.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I really hope that you're right, Zorak.

Sometimes it seems like Miura is just going to keep stretching the story out forever, and never resolve a thing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Sometimes it seems like Miura is just going to keep stretching the story out forever, and never resolve a thing.

In the time-scale outside the story, maybe. The internal pacing has always been very solid. Try re-reading the thing as a whole again: there's never any pacing weirdness you see in other works.

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, I've never felt Berserk is written badly at all, the only thing I have against this manga is how rare it gets new chapters, but at the same time I also understand that Miura needs to take his time to draw with such detail.
... I think I'll re-read Berserk from the beginning this weekend.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm pretty sure that that's just because we're nowhere near the end yet. I had the same feeling that that the Golden Age was spinning its wheels, but looking back, it was all important and paid off.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Where I have I seen this guy before?

OH SHI

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure these chapters are gonna be awesome but I'm so fatigued from not-elf-island I'm not sure I can bring myself to read them :(

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Elentor posted:

I'm pretty sure these chapters are gonna be awesome but I'm so fatigued from not-elf-island I'm not sure I can bring myself to read them :(

I can't even imagine what it must have been like slogging through the Golden Age as it was being published, waiting for the Black Swordsman.

(Not singling you out or anything Elentor, but the Elf Island-centrism among Berserk fans is actually ridiculous and dumb.)

EDIT:

Soulcleaver posted:

Where I have I seen this guy before?

OH SHI

Please let this be a thing and not just lazy character design. PLEASE. :haw:

LordMune fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 14, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They both have beards and bushy eyebrows, is all. Their features aren't really very similar.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Serious Frolicking posted:

They both have beards and bushy eyebrows, is all. Their features aren't really very similar.

What? They both have very similar large noses, lips and eye shape, the main difference is that the ship captain has mutton chops in addition to the beard and perhaps a wider face, though that might just be the angles.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
They look sort of similar, but the first mate is missing those huge ape brows.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The cheek structure is also pretty dissimilar.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Here's that hairy sea dog from a few more angles. I might be on to something or it could just be a few similar features in some of Miura's thousands of faces. It would be pretty cool if they are in fact the same guy and Guts recognized him... but the Guts who kills people over dick moves passed on long ago.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Why would he be in the naval service of a prince? That's a job someone of higher birth gets. It's not the flashback guy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In that last picture, he is standing at the exact same angle as the other guy. Look at their noses, cheekbones and ears. They aren't even close.

More importantly, when has Miura ever done that sort of bullshit?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Christ, this isn't one piece. Miura gives all his characters plausible faces and appearances (and I mean actual plausible, not anime plausible). So once in a while characters will look slightly similar. That doesn't mean they're the same person or have some SECRET CONNECTION to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Everyone is already Griffith.