Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

The most terrifying thing about that picture is when you ask yourself where the gently caress whoever took it is standing.

The answer actually isn't that terrifying. They make poles that attach to your camera.

Sorry for ruining the mystique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

pw pw pw posted:

I looks like it would be so easy to just go flying off one of the sides of that thing and die. The only time I've been on a waterslide that steep was fully-enclosed, and even that was terrifying.

I remember hearing somewhere that due to some physics trick the speed at which your travelling makes it almost impossible for you to do anything but stick to the bottom like glue. So the steeper and faster the slide the safer it is. Any math whiz out there able to confirm/deny?

Debunk This! has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Jun 8, 2012

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rare Collectable posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that due to some physics trick the speed at which your travelling makes it almost impossible for you to do anything but stick to the bottom like glue. So the steeper and faster the slide the safer it is. Any math whiz out there able to confirm/deny?

Not a math/physics wizard, but it seems like if the airflow got underneath you somehow you'd flip out like an F1 car without airfoils. Presumably you stick to the water flow underneath you though and surface tension would be your friend.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey Hitler! gently caress off!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I posted:

14-story tall water slide in Brazil.

I've been on this slide, and you actually catch a little bit of air as you go over the drop. The rest of the ride is just a high speed blur.

Imperador do Brasil has a new favorite as of 13:57 on Jun 8, 2012

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Beastie posted:

Some of those brought a tear to my eye.

Yeah, this. Incredible photos, thank you for posting.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Continuing the theme of dizzying heights, a classic.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Some bad-rear end electrical arcing:

The ArcAttack musical Tesla coil act

The famous photo of the Sandia Labs Z Machine X-ray discharge

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I posted:

Hey Hitler! gently caress off!

This was always weird to me. Look at the German. Look at how soft around the middle he looks. Now, I see this a lot with pictures of old athletes. Why weren't athletes like they are today? I assume they trained as hard. Why doesn't he have a firmer core?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It looks like they're wearing some kind of sweat/jumpsuit and it's harder to show off your rockin' body in one of those.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

It looks like they're wearing some kind of sweat/jumpsuit and it's harder to show off your rockin' body in one of those.

Yeah, I don't expect to see his abs defined or anything, but there is clearly a bit of flab there. It's something I see in a lot of old pictures of athletes.

Actually, now that I've googled it, it doesn't seem that predominant. I am crazy, please carry on.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Yeah, I don't expect to see his abs defined or anything, but there is clearly a bit of flab there. It's something I see in a lot of old pictures of athletes.

Actually, now that I've googled it, it doesn't seem that predominant. I am crazy, please carry on.

Sports used to be way cooler when people didn't have a bunch of dumb ideas about what was or was not good for you.

Fortunately hash running is sorta bringing that back.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bodnoirbabe posted:

It used to be illegal to compete in Olympics if you were a professional athlete and earned money from it. You needed to be an amateur. Only in 1988 were all professional athletes eligible to Olympics. So basically people weren't crazy toned because they weren't doing that 24/7 with a team of coaches, nutritionists and doctors.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Sports used to be way cooler when people didn't have a bunch of dumb ideas about what was or was not good for you.

And back then Camels would inject energy right into your T-zone, so that guy's probably cheating.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Lunacy. You gotta have some sort of death wish to play with that level of electricity. :psyduck:

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

SpazmasterX posted:

Lunacy. You gotta have some sort of death wish to play with that level of electricity. :psyduck:
Not lunacy, just a sound understanding of electrical engineering! :science:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Hazzamon posted:

Not lunacy, just a sound understanding of electrical engineering! :science:

See also: lunacy.

Mouthguard Chump
Sep 19, 2006
Listen, you degenerate, toothless redneck...

SpazmasterX posted:

Not at all! The spark from a Tesla coil doesn't really travel through you when it connects like a lightning bolt would. It just causes a tingling sensation. I have a rather diminutive one I got years ago and I still fire it up and play with it from time to time. Tesla himself gave demonstrations similar to what the guy above is doing wearing a regular suit. The jumpsuit the guy in the video is wearing is for show/crazy electric DJ equipment.

(fake edit: I know this photo is actually a double exposure.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mouthguard Chump posted:

Not at all! The spark from a Tesla coil doesn't really travel through you when it connects like a lightning bolt would.

Or give you a bitching cool Lichtenberg scar:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I saw Arc Attack at the Maker Faire last year and that image doesn't capture quite how loud it is, or how strong the smell of ozone is.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
That dude's okay because he's basically wearing a Faraday cage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Adrenaline is a drug.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Detective Thompson posted:

That dude's okay because he's basically wearing a Faraday cage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

No one is more badass than Dr. Megavolt when it comes to electricity.

Spinning fireballs while commanding electricity. No problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ5Etr9t2E4&t=542s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH17nt1FEbs

http://www.youtube.com/user/doctormegavolt

sigma 6 has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Jun 11, 2012

Mouthguard Chump
Sep 19, 2006
Listen, you degenerate, toothless redneck...

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or give you a bitching cool Lichtenberg scar:

That's incredible. I'm not normally one to go searching for medical oddities or pictures of ailments, but these Lichtenberg scars are fascinating. I just hope they aren't causing their bearers any pain, because they all seem to cover a HUGE surface area of skin.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Speaking of Tesla Coils...

Björk has harnessed this source of music for her latest album. This is what it looked like on stage during her live performances. It was one of the coolest things ever.

With each of those lightning strikes a note was produced, and she integrated it into her music. There were other instruments that symbolized air, gravity, metal, core elements, vibration, etc in her performance, it's absolutely magical. The album is Biophilia for those who are interested.
Here is the song where the Tesla Coil is used to see it in live action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Scr7wcqKk
If that sparks your interest, please get the original album, the sound quality is excellent and it's a fantastic work of art.
But enough spurting about my love for her :P I think she's totally badass for using the Tesla Coil for her music.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Koivunen posted:

If that sparks your interest

Bravo :golfclap:

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
An old-fashioned spark gap Tesla Coil is a device which does NOT make most people want to get anywhere near it. The bigger ones sound like a chainsaw with a broken muffler running at full blast and in enclosed spaces will raise the ozone levels in no time. They will also emit stupid amounts of radio frequency interference. And while the secondary side (the sparks) is sort of non-lethal, the high-current, low-voltage (meaning no more than 10-15 kilovolts) primary circuit is typically uninsulated and WILL kill you quicker than most things electric.

A fun fact: the Tesla Coil sparks have been used in many movies as special effect, perhaps most memorably in time travel arrival in the Terminator movies. However, the actual angry Tesla Coil sound has been heard less often, but it was used in the Raiders of the Lost Ark in the bit where the ark shoots lightning through the nazi soldiers near the end.

And now for the bad-rear end part: the Nikola Tesla's idea of wireless power transmission. Many people think that this was supposed to be some sort of radio wave power transmission scheme, but that's incorrect. Tesla's idea was to build enormous Tesla Towers around the world. When operating in sync, these would move so much charge to and from the capacitive top loads that the whole Earth's ground potential would start to oscillate. After this, you would only need a correctly tuned and grounded Tesla Coil to draw power from this oscillation.

Atop his tower was perched a fifty-five ton dome of conductive metals, and beneath it stretched an iron root system that penetrated more than 300 feet into the Earth's crust. "In this system that I have invented, it is necessary for the machine to get a grip of the earth," he explained, "otherwise it cannot shake the earth. It has to have a grip… so that the whole of this globe can quiver."

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Holy poo poo. I knew he was working on ways to broadcast electricity but . . . holy poo poo.

Content:

Firebreathing dragon artcar. Sorry for the crappy footage. I just sort of walked up on it, so all I had was a lovely point and shoot camera. My friend is trying to get me to take a picture when it is breathing fire. He didn't realize I was getting video.

quote:

Teddy Lo and Ryan C. Doyle showed off their Gon KiRin (meaning light dragon) art car at New York's Robot Heart-O-Ween. The car is about 53 ft long and 23 ft tall (16 meters by 7 meters) and was originally a 1963 Dodge dump truck. Gon KiRin was outfitted with more then 2,460 ft (750 meters) of LED fixtures ad also includes a DJ booth, hydraulic neck, seating for more then 20 people and a flamethrower!

thong district
Jun 28, 2006
Selling dangerous liquids to idiots since April '06

Hey, I do that for a living! my job is badass? cool!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Doesn't it get boring holding up all those wires all day?

thong district
Jun 28, 2006

Penguingo posted:

Doesn't it get boring holding up all those wires all day?

I climb the pylons...it has it's ups and downs.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

cyberbug posted:

An old-fashioned spark gap Tesla Coil is a device which does NOT make most people want to get anywhere near it. The bigger ones sound like a chainsaw with a broken muffler running at full blast and in enclosed spaces will raise the ozone levels in no time. They will also emit stupid amounts of radio frequency interference. And while the secondary side (the sparks) is sort of non-lethal, the high-current, low-voltage (meaning no more than 10-15 kilovolts) primary circuit is typically uninsulated and WILL kill you quicker than most things electric.

A fun fact: the Tesla Coil sparks have been used in many movies as special effect, perhaps most memorably in time travel arrival in the Terminator movies. However, the actual angry Tesla Coil sound has been heard less often, but it was used in the Raiders of the Lost Ark in the bit where the ark shoots lightning through the nazi soldiers near the end.

And now for the bad-rear end part: the Nikola Tesla's idea of wireless power transmission. Many people think that this was supposed to be some sort of radio wave power transmission scheme, but that's incorrect. Tesla's idea was to build enormous Tesla Towers around the world. When operating in sync, these would move so much charge to and from the capacitive top loads that the whole Earth's ground potential would start to oscillate. After this, you would only need a correctly tuned and grounded Tesla Coil to draw power from this oscillation.

Atop his tower was perched a fifty-five ton dome of conductive metals, and beneath it stretched an iron root system that penetrated more than 300 feet into the Earth's crust. "In this system that I have invented, it is necessary for the machine to get a grip of the earth," he explained, "otherwise it cannot shake the earth. It has to have a grip… so that the whole of this globe can quiver."

So that's where the plot for the 80's GI Joe movie came from.

edit:spell good.

Mister_Eel has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jun 12, 2012

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Nevermind. Looks like you might be right.

sigma 6 has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Jun 12, 2012

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

thong district posted:

Hey, I do that for a living! my job is badass? cool!

What, cable maintenance like this? Holy poo poo.
edit better link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy81YP-q8R4

SlightButSteady has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Jun 12, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
This cute little bugger right here:

Was more bad-rear end than you could ever hope to be if you lived a million lifetimes.

quote:

Stubby served with the 102nd Infantry, 26th (Yankee) Division in the trenches in France for 18 months and participated in four offensives and 17 battles. He entered combat on February 5, 1918 at Chemin des Dames, north of Soissons, and was under constant fire, day and night for over a month. In April 1918, during a raid to take Schieprey, Stubby was wounded in the foreleg by the retreating Germans throwing hand grenades. He was sent to the rear for convalescence, and as he had done on the front was able to improve morale. When he recovered from his wounds, Stubby returned to the trenches.

After being gassed himself, Stubby learned to warn his unit of poison gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in no man's land, and — since he could hear the whine of incoming artillery shells before humans could — became very adept at letting his unit know when to duck for cover. He was solely responsible for capturing a German spy in the Argonne. Following the retaking of Château-Thierry by the US, the thankful women of the town made Stubby a chamois coat on which were pinned his many medals. There is also a legend that while in Paris with Corporal Conroy, Stubby saved a young girl from being hit by a car. At the end of the war, Conroy smuggled Stubby home.

So, to sum up:
Was all chill for an entire month's worth of constant gunfire in the trenches (my parent's dog whimpers at thunder....)
Wounded by a grenade
Saved lives
Breathed mustard gas
Warned soldiers of said gas and artillery
And even captured a God-drat spy

He rose to the rank of sergeant! I have friends who didn't get that far in their tours of duty. And were I in the military, I'd be drat glad to take orders from Sergeant Stubby. :patriot:

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Jun 12, 2012

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Koivunen posted:

But enough spurting about my love for her :P I think she's totally badass for using the Tesla Coil for her music.
It's not terribly original, as it's exactly what Arc Attack has been doing.

elendilmir
Apr 19, 2005

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Fortunately hash running is sorta bringing that back.

ONON!

/we need a goon hash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thong district
Jun 28, 2006

SlightButSteady posted:

What, cable maintenance like this? Holy poo poo.
edit better link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy81YP-q8R4

I build pylons and put the wires up, we do use helicopters for live wire working but usually shut half a pylon off for small jobs. We go out on the wires like that when they're dead to add or replace spacers (the things that shop the wires touching mid-span).

Enough about me though!.

• Locked thread