Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Midorka maybe you can just chillax a bit in this thread? You've posted nine times on this page already (well poo poo ok, the last page), and you have almost more than double total posts than the second most prolific poster (for a total of 313). I mean drat, I've already got you on ignore as it is, but these constant cycles of stupid arguments are really making this thread no fun at all.

Anyway, this Saturday in Chicago I hope a few of you (and I'll probably bug the few of you I've met fyi) will come to a bottle share. We are going to start here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/barbari-cafe-chicago at 4:30pm. I imagine we'll be there for a couple of hours, after which we will be hitting some bars in the area like Happy Village, Small Bar, and where ever else we want to go. If you're gonna go, send me a PM and I can give you my phone # in case you are wanting to hit us up later in the evening. I'll probably be bringing some Jolly Pumpkin and Founders stuff though so you better come and help me drink it. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

are you working, or simply a passenger? i imagine it's a good gig, regardless. also, have you gone before?

partook of a nine-year Old Guardian vertical and am not feeling very awesome today. got to try Ithaca's Brute, which was awesome, and Cascade's Kriek, which i dug a lot more the de Ranke bottle i had a month or two ago.

I honestly do not know. They have only done the event once before (last year) and I could not make it due to my wife being close to giving birth. From what I understand though they bring their own bar staff and have them handle it. I think one of the main reasons is most of the people who attend are Italian and so there could be language issues.

It is a awesome event though since the director from the brewery went down last year along with a handful of my brewer friends and I am super pumped. They are not on the list but if I am correct Cantillion should also be on tap like last year. Tiliquin was also on tap last year so I hope they have that as well since that is my fav Gueze behind 3font. I sent a total of 8 beers down and then another 3 I contract brewed for Stillwater as well.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Kosher man posted:

Awesome cruise

Holy poo poo, that is a hell of a cruise. Don't fall overboard.

Opened a bottle of Sam Smith's Yorkshire Stingo this weekend, and that is how a loving barrel-aged beer should taste. Nothing forward or harsh, no alcohol burn, just a super smooth, toffee-rich easy drinker. Nice dry finish with just a tiny bit of vanilla. Such a great mouthfeel too. The whole thing was just a pleasure to drink, as in I found myself just sitting there taking small sips and appreciating every single thing about the experience. Glad I picked up 2 bottles, but really wishing I'd picked up more now!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Sorry for drunk posting yesterday. I made a lot of stupid claims which lead to pointless arguments. Sorry.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 11, 2012

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

air- posted:

Munkaboo, hope this cleared up why I prioritized this tasting :cheers: Looks like you had a good time yourself at CK though and I want to hear about the Stone takeover you went to yesterday. Plenty of cool things happen during SAVOR week, but man I am gonna slow down on drinking for a while.

I bet you had a nice Asian Glow at the end of the night. I still would pick CCB/FB over that list, but im a HUGE sucker for CCB.

I talked with the CCB brewmaster and another cool CCB guy. Apparently they might be pulling out of Richmond, VA and DC soon :

That was my night. All 4oz'ers though... I wouldve died otherwise.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 11, 2012

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
I found some Parabola this weekend. I was a little turned off by the cost.. $16 for a bomber is a little outside my normal range of price for beers, but based on the ravings in this thread primarily, I decided to give it a shot.

Good Lord. I don't think I've ever had a beer this rich. Granted, I really just started to discover that I like imperial stouts, so I've only had a few, but this was just ridiculous. Easily one of the best beers I've ever tasted. There were several left when I was there this weekend, and they didn't seem to have any limits on them.. maybe I'll see if I can buy a case, drink a few, and store the rest, and see how well they age.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

air- posted:

Thursday night beat the poo poo out of me. A clusterfuck crowd came out for the the Cigar City/Funky Buddha/Bluejacket event at Churchkey. Something was also wrong with their draft lines as a lot of the beers were pouring extremely foamy and needed additional time to settle, so that further slowed down the service. I drank 3 4oz tasters in 45 mins (ouch).

Funky Buddha Raspberry Berlinerweiss: Ruby-ish color with huge tart raspberry aromas/flavors. Super acidic and pretty much what you see is what you get.

Funky Buddha No Crusts: loving WOW. Instantly dethroned Duck Rabbit Brown as the best brown ale I've ever had. Very nutty and almost like getting slapped in the face with a PB/J sandwich. There's a little bit of bread crust in the mouthfeel too.

Cigar City Cucumber Saison: I was into juicing at one point so I was a fan of this beer. Refreshing, really herbal, lightly peppery, and smooth. Very interesting beer.

The reason the beers were all foamy was because the shipping company transporting our kegs to the event was extremely late, so the beer arrived an hour late and were hot as poo poo. That sucked. But otherwise the event went great by all accounts. Wish I could have went. :(

Glad you liked the Cucumber Saison. We just sold 30 cases in a few hours on Saturday. That poo poo is money.

Munkaboo posted:

I bet you had a nice Asian Glow at the end of the night. I still would pick CCB/FB over that list, but im a HUGE sucker for CCB.

I talked with the CCB brewmaster and another cool CCB guy. Apparently they might be pulling out of Richmond, VA and DC soon :

That was my night. All 4oz'ers though... I wouldve died otherwise.

Our brewmaster wasn't there, only Joey (owner/CEO), Justin (vice-president) and Phil (South Florida sales rep).

Also glad you liked Snack Attack! It's an intense beer. I can't drink much of it, so drat big and boozy, but the peanut character is pretty delicious. Can't touch No Crusts, though :allears:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Anyway, this Saturday in Chicago I hope a few of you (and I'll probably bug the few of you I've met fyi) will come to a bottle share. We are going to start here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/barbari-cafe-chicago at 4:30pm. I imagine we'll be there for a couple of hours, after which we will be hitting some bars in the area like Happy Village, Small Bar, and where ever else we want to go. If you're gonna go, send me a PM and I can give you my phone # in case you are wanting to hit us up later in the evening. I'll probably be bringing some Jolly Pumpkin and Founders stuff though so you better come and help me drink it. :mad:

I'm the one who suggested Barbari, and it's a really great place to get grub and pop some bottles. After that we are within a half mile of a bunch of good bars. I'd suggest coming because I'll definitely bring a few awesome things to share. :)

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

CYBER SLIMER posted:

Our brewmaster wasn't there, only Joey (owner/CEO), Justin (vice-president) and Phil (South Florida sales rep).

Also glad you liked Snack Attack! It's an intense beer. I can't drink much of it, so drat big and boozy, but the peanut character is pretty delicious. Can't touch No Crusts, though :allears:

Ah, who is the guy with long black hair? I was kinda tipsy so I can't remember. I think that was Joey.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

Ah, Happy Village. Drunk ping-pong is something I miss...

I'm on the fence about this. I have tentative plans, but if those fall through I'd be down to meet some of you Chicago goons.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

Ah, who is the guy with long black hair? I was kinda tipsy so I can't remember. I think that was Joey.

Pretty sure that's Luke from Swamp Head :v:

On the right.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm just saying I'd rather be the guy that hit "4" instead of "5" than the guy sincerely arguing that Philadelphia has some kind of beer advantage on the grounds it got the Chamber of Commerce to designate a particular 7 day period with a meaningless title one year prior to all the other towns.

Yeah, see, that's not at all what happened.

Each year there used to be an annual black-tie beer dinner at the UPenn Museum of Archaelogy and Anthropology. This went on for more than 15 years, and Michael Jackson presided over the dinner. If you're into beer, you might have heard of him. If you're not into beer, you're probably wondering why Penn had a kiddy-diddler hosting a fancy dinner.

Then MJ died. And the local beer geeks who'd go to that dinner (folks like Tom Peters. If you're into beer, you might have heard of him) decided that rather than let that annual tradition die, they'd make it bigger, and they decided on a week in March to do cool beer poo poo at their respective bars.

It was basically a spontaneous outgrowth of a culture that had already been seriously into craft beer, not some top-down local government imposition. There wasn't even much press the first year it happened, because it was a grass-roots thing, the Chamber of Commerce probably didn't even know about it until it was over.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

CYBER SLIMER posted:

Pretty sure that's Luke from Swamp Head :v:

On the right.

Nah not the Russel Brand look-a-like, I met him, but there was another guy too that was shorter and had dark long hair.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

That doesn't sound like anyone from the brewery I'm afraid :( Would describe Wayne (head brewer) about 2 years ago, though.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

mysterious frankie posted:

Oh dangs, that's awesome!

EDIT: Also, reminder that RSVP's for GI's vintage tasting event are still available, so if you're going to be in or around Chicago on the 14th at 7pm, call the Clybourn pub and reserve your spot. It's $20 a head, like with the Lambic tasting, and you will need to pay in advance, so go to the bar ASAP if you feel weird about giving them CC info over the phone. I seriously don't know how fast it's gonna fill up now that they started advertising it on Twitter, so if you were on the fence about it, make your mind up quickly.

Definitely get on this quick if you're interested. When I called to sign up, they said there were two spots left. Now I guess there's one. http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/event_page/48.php?id=1631

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sirotan posted:

That timing will be tough (I've got a gig I need to be at around 7:30) but I might be able to come hang. I don't have a huge cellar or anything, but I'll dig and see if I can find anything worth busting out...

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Had a Dogfish Head Festina Peche at Owen & Engine this weekend and I... liked it. Not initially, but I got there. Served cold, it just tasted like Welch's white grape juice to me. As the beer began to approach room temperature, it became much more tart and some nice, complex peach flavors started coming through. I'd say it was a good fruit drink that is also technically a beer.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mysterious frankie posted:

Had a Dogfish Head Festina Peche at Owen & Engine this weekend and I... liked it. Not initially, but I got there. Served cold, it just tasted like Welch's white grape juice to me. As the beer began to approach room temperature, it became much more tart and some nice, complex peach flavors started coming through. I'd say it was a good fruit drink that is also technically a beer.

I recently made the mistake of thinking that Aprihop was Festina Peche and my response was basically

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Thanks for the Burger Bar recommendations guys. They have a ridiculous amount of dogfish head options there. The bartender was super excited I knew something about beer and basically gave me 10 tastes of different beers haha. My friends were like "What the hell man??"
Ended up having Aprihop and Red & White. I do like Aprihop, and Red & White was okay, but I was pretty drunk so it was tough to quite remember at that point.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

CYBER SLIMER posted:

That doesn't sound like anyone from the brewery I'm afraid :( Would describe Wayne (head brewer) about 2 years ago, though.

That makes sense, he started talking about his beers that he brought the first time you guys went to the GABF.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Midorka posted:

Oh hey maybe you can explain to me why Terrapin put a session beer in a 4 pack and is charging $9-$10 for it.

"Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?"

Our sales department.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Oh yeah, I recall World of Beer was mentioned at some point since one is opening in Ballston. I've been to the one in Dallas and wasn't impressed. If we were to compare bars that focus on huge selections found in multiple cities, I'd rank them like:
1. Flying Saucer (it helps being run by Captain Keith and they do many special events - do NOT miss this if you are in Dallas)
2. Yard House
3. World of Beer

They'll have most places beat on quantity, but don't expect any small batch drafts or anything like that.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Kosher man posted:

On a fun note I am headed off to Rome this week for the Un Mare di Birra. It is a cruise put on by Ma Che Siete Vunti a Fa that goes from Rome to Barcelona and back. During the cruise it is all you can drink and drat this years brewery list looks great.

If Christian Skovdal Andersen is there, tell him I said hello. And if Claus Søgaard is there, toss him overboard while he's drunk. :v: no not really

In any case, have a good time. :)

I don't understand why people need to get all dickwavy about their city being THE BEST for beer. The fact that so many places are great places for craft beer makes me happy enough, and I'm glad to live in one of them (Chicago).

Had a Weihenstephaner Weissbier for the first time in a while on Saturday night, and it's still the pinnacle of the style in my opinion: creamy mouthfeel lightened by spritzy carbonation, with lots of banana/clove aroma and flavor. Great stuff for a Chicago summer's day without A/C.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

air- posted:

Oh yeah, I recall World of Beer was mentioned at some point since one is opening in Ballston. I've been to the one in Dallas and wasn't impressed. If we were to compare bars that focus on huge selections found in multiple cities, I'd rank them like:
1. Flying Saucer (it helps being run by Captain Keith and they do many special events - do NOT miss this if you are in Dallas)
2. Yard House
3. World of Beer

They'll have most places beat on quantity, but don't expect any small batch drafts or anything like that.

I am pretty sure world of beer will have american taproom beat, that place sucks.

Josh Wow posted:

"Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?"

Our sales department.

I scratched my head at the 4 pack 11 dollar 'session beer' too, to be honest.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I tried SN Hoptimum for the first time over the weekend. I think this just about does it for my exploration of IPAs. In my search for the most intense hoppiness that I can handle, I've found the breaking point, the threshold of enjoyability. I appreciate the beer, but it's just too much. I could barely force myself to finish the glass, let alone reach for another one.

I'll always love IPAs, but I've just now discovered that "more bitter = better" isn't how it is for me.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

caiman posted:

I tried SN Hoptimum for the first time over the weekend. I think this just about does it for my exploration of IPAs. In my search for the most intense hoppiness that I can handle, I've found the breaking point, the threshold of enjoyability. I appreciate the beer, but it's just too much. I could barely force myself to finish the glass, let alone reach for another one.

I'll always love IPAs, but I've just now discovered that "more bitter = better" isn't how it is for me.

I was only really able to finish mine because it was ice cold, it's not just you. That is a big, big beer.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Wait till you try Stone's 10th anniversary ruination

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Sirotan posted:

If I hadn't just taken a weekend vacation to Cleveland last weekend I'd be up for this. As it is, the wife and I need to get some stuff done around the house or I'd make the drive. Really makes me wish that Fort Wayne still had Amtrak service.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Huge_Midget posted:

If I hadn't just taken a weekend vacation to Cleveland last weekend I'd be up for this. As it is, the wife and I need to get some stuff done around the house or I'd make the drive. Really makes me wish that Fort Wayne still had Amtrak service.

I'm thinking of hosting a tasting at my place in Ann Arbor in 2-3 weeks (weekend after July 4th?), so keep that one in mind if you are looking for a road trip idea.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I love Hoptimum. With beers that strong, I try to think of them as savory more than refreshing, or, ugh, "drinkable". That said, Hoptimum is about as drinkable as it gets for a 10.5% DIPA.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

CalvinDooglas posted:

I love Hoptimum. With beers that strong, I try to think of them as savory more than refreshing, or, ugh, "drinkable". That said, Hoptimum is about as drinkable as it gets for a 10.5% DIPA.

I've had many 10+% IPAs that are more drinkable than Hoptimum. Expo, Pliny the Younger, several local breweries, etc. It's not horrible, I just don't think its a particularly good beer. IPAs tend to go south when the primary goal is just making it as hoppy as possible.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 12, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Palate Wrecker is much more drinkable, anyone agree?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I guess I just enjoy that ridiculous amount of hops. I find most IPAs that big are too resiny/syrupy. Hoptimum is crispier and cleaner than, say, Maharaja.

In other news, Lagunitas has also come to Maine! No more waiting until my MA/NH trips to pick up LSS! Also, cheap Hop Stupid bombers.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

A bit offtopic, but I know there's some people currently in Houston that post here, but what about Austin? I'm thinking about going up there for a weekend with my wife and the dogs and was looking for info on where to stay downtown, or at least what area, because we won't be driving anywhere if possible, what bars to hit, etc? Mainly day drinking...were not huge parties, just a good place to get some food and beer, maybe that allows dogs?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

CalvinDooglas posted:

I guess I just enjoy that ridiculous amount of hops. I find most IPAs that big are too resiny/syrupy. Hoptimum is crispier and cleaner than, say, Maharaja.

In other news, Lagunitas has also come to Maine! No more waiting until my MA/NH trips to pick up LSS! Also, cheap Hop Stupid bombers.

Sometimes I like Maharaja, but at other times I find like it tastes far too strongly of fusel alcohols.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

TenaciousTomato posted:

Palate Wrecker is much more drinkable, anyone agree?

I'd take Palate Wrecker just barely over Hoptimum, and maybe every other IPA below that, including Expo/Pliny. Expo's too rye-heavy for me to compare it to other IPAs, and while Pliny's obviously a benchmark for terrific IPAs there's something about Hoptimum and Palate Wrecker which manage to find a way to bring out a sweeter profile without sacrificing the huge bitter side as well. (Edited to say that I like the sweeter IPAs only when it's matched with an equally bitter side, which rules out the more "east coast" IPAs, Maharaja, etc)

As I was discussing the PtE recipe with Angry Grimace in the homebrew thread, I'd also like details on Silva's methods to make Palate Wrecker. I know there's a part where the wort of the first brew is used as the "water" for the second, but I don't think the rest of the details have ever been made public. Having that wort on boil for two cycles worth must be the reason they can add essentially two beers worth of hops without it seeming completely unbalanced.

If one were to leave an IPA-profiled wort on boil for, say, 2.5 hours, what would that taste like?

wattershed fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 12, 2012

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Palate Wrecker and Hoptimum were pretty easy to drink for me, but they were both just unbelievably bitter.

By comparison, I could drink something that's definitively maltier like Hopslam far easier and in much greater quantity. The ABV issues would make that pretty impossible, but the point stands.

Hoptimum and Palate Wrecker were definitely fun, but good lord I really don't need much of it.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Sirotan posted:

I'm thinking of hosting a tasting at my place in Ann Arbor in 2-3 weeks (weekend after July 4th?), so keep that one in mind if you are looking for a road trip idea.

Got a brewday/drunk swimming pool day planned for the 4th.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^^I meant more like that Saturday, July 7th. But I'm flexible.

Speaking of ridiculous IPA's, this year's Devil Dancer is already on tap at Founder's and I guess will be out in bottles in a week or two? I read they used some different varieties of hops this year because a lot of people found last year's to have a strong onion/garlic flavor. Can't say I experienced that myself but I do recall it being not as enjoyable as other year's. I still have a bottle from 2011 and I think 2010...I guess I should do a vertical tasting sometime? Would it be wonderful or horrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I left a bottle of 2011 Devil Dancer in a friend's refrigerator. We drank it about a month ago and it was actually better than fresh, as I recall. I'd say do a vertical tasting with them and report the results! I personally won't be buying any of this year's batch though.