Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mango Polo posted:

This one plus some glass doors.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah that one, and a 40cm wide Billy alongside it. Doors are, I think, 'Morebos'. They come with black/white removable card inserts so may not be immediately obvious on the website.
Thanks for the help, I'll keep them in mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hellbeard posted:

Posed the dude who got ears and some hair.

Another step-by-step? Make it so.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Mango Polo posted:

This one plus some glass doors.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10208472/ is a better option. The extra 4 inches of depth really help. It's what I have in the room next to me.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Z the IVth posted:

Yep, and I sell them in my little shop of horrors: http://z4miniatures.blogspot.com

I can't sculpt organics like you, which I think is a real skill. I tried a couple of times, but they just looked awful. Been sticking to spaceships and battlesuits since.

I smell a team-up...

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

I tried out vermilion on the Myrmidon, and pink on the Dasyu. I went with pink in the end, and here's my first completed Infinity model!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Anyone else remember these little assholes?

drat, taking hi res shots of these things is really demotivating :(

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Looks like a reticulan from UFO aftermath/aftershock/afterlight

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
My simplegreen bucket is a soft cooler that I had closed but unzipped. Last night one of my cats tried to stand on it and it collapsed and her front half and stomach got soaked.

Should I use this opportunity to recolor her?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Naramyth posted:

My simplegreen bucket is a soft cooler that I had closed but unzipped. Last night one of my cats tried to stand on it and it collapsed and her front half and stomach got soaked.

Should I use this opportunity to recolor her?
Use OSL, neon green.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Simple Green isn't the best tool for removing super glue. What you might try is sticking the cat in the freezer to weaken the bond. After a couple of hours, let the cat return to room temperature (it will be too brittle and you might snap it in half otherwise) and try to break the cat along the joins. If this doesn't work, try some non-acetone nail polish remover on metal cats. The glue will soften and go gummy in about ten minutes. It's not the best thing for plastic or longhairs though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
If you use a stiff bristle brush, you will remove the cat hair most effectively. Make sure to rinse it off before painting

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Does anyone have any tips on casting? I uh, I broke my bengal kitten and it was the last one on the sprue. I really don't want to pay another $3199 for a two-pack of kittens when I just need one.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

HardCoil posted:

Anyone else remember these little assholes?

drat, taking hi res shots of these things is really demotivating :(

Awesome. I love it.

I know about the thing with the macro photography and here are some tips to help you out.

Use good lighting- lots and lots of light. I have one of those drafting table lamps that I position directly over my work space.

Use vision enhancement. I use magnifying visors - the cheap rear end China made ones (seriously it was like 9 bucks). It's awesome and you get to see those imperfections that come up later on macro photos.

Work in stages: First do basic shapes during the 15-40 minutes first stage of curing. Then smooth things out from 40-80 minutes. Then do fine details in 80-120 minutes.

Another awesome trick is after you take the photo and see the glaring flaws on your screen, nothing is stopping you from going in and trying to fix them and take another photo!

The best tip I got was to use only very very light touches to sculpt with the putty. VERY VERY LIGHT. It's been described to me as butterfly farts. It does wonders to the smoothness.

Other than that I think you can do more to position the pose more dynamically before you start applying the "stuff".

You can always remove material with a sharp modelling knife and then re sculpt unsatisfactory areas.

I know it might be disheartening to not reach the level you were aiming for but the only way to overcome it is work more and know that with each session you are improving slightly. In the end one of the key ingredients is experience both in working technically with the material and with the increased understanding of the artistic expression that comes from learning lessons by trial and error. Now let's see the next one.

Edit:

adamantium|wang- you got it.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Thanks, I'm trying to do as you describe, but I guess it's fair enough not to be a world class sculptor in your first couple of tries ;)
I've been thinking about magnifying glasses. Some of the pros advice against them, but it feels like it would really help...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Does anyone have any tips on casting? I uh, I broke my bengal kitten and it was the last one on the sprue. I really don't want to pay another $3199 for a two-pack of kittens when I just need one.

You could try that Chinese web site KittyCastSupreme. I would link it but you know, :filez:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I'd like to solicit some opinions on this warpwolf I'm just getting going with. The lighting in my house is difficult today but hopefully you can get an idea.

Obviously it's very early stages but what I'm wondering about is this. Originally I was going to pain the wristguards and the hood a forest green to match up with colours I have used with the rest of my Circle stuff, but I'm now wondering whether something lighter might be better with the sort of ghostly look the model is getting. Or grey. Maybe grey.

Anyway, ideas welcome.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you think this is sexy:

Then take a look at the Dropzone Commander thread

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I dunno, it doesnt look all that great to be honest. At least its not as anime as gently caress like infinity, so it has that going for it. It kinda looks like a tabletop adaptation of command and conquer.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Mephiston posted:

I dunno, it doesnt look all that great to be honest.

It kinda looks like a tabletop adaptation of command and conquer.

What?! I'm about to check it out now but this confuses me...

:frogout:

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Took some time this afternoon to kitbash a Gorrillagon and some random household bits together to make a Big Mek for fun. It cost me about 4 bucks to make so I'm happy with it. I wish the photos did it justice but my set up stinks.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I spent a few seconds trying to figure out why a ship would need such sizeable legs.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Miles O'Brian posted:

I spent a few seconds trying to figure out why a ship would need such sizeable legs.

Same here...then why they were oriented to make a sort of Mecha-Pushmepullyou.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
This was probably addressed somewhere in the 671-page thread, but I've been looking online for a few days and haven't managed to dig up anything myself.

I'm just getting back into D&D as a Real Adult with money++ and time--. I would like to purchase a fair number of random neat-looking miniatures to use in the games. Anything fantasy-like is just fine; I'm starting from scratch and so don't have any specific requests. The problem is, though, I have neither time nor talent to paint my own miniatures.

Most of my searches turn up either the boxed D&D sets of plastic ones (which I already bought from Amazon), or, they turn up random websites of dubious security. Looking on the vast majority of the random sites that are still relatively current (read: have been updated in the past year), the models come unpainted. Or, in some other cases, it's not clear whether they come painted or not. I'm assuming they don't, though, since these sites are also selling paints.

I'm not too keen on spending hundreds of dollars per figure, but I could easily see spending $20-$40 per. More for the player characters.

Does anyone know of a good site (or artist, or whatever) to buy painted miniatures?

Apologies if this is off-topic in the thread about actually doing the painting; figured this question wasn't major enough for its own thread.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I think what you really want is to look into commission painting.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Red Robin Hood posted:

What?! I'm about to check it out now but this confuses me...

:frogout:

:dealwithit:

Like I said its not as terrible as Infinity, but its not grabbing me like it has say Rapey Joe Stalin up there.

Just screams command and conquer 3 + 4 to me, which is nice i guess if you like that sort of thing.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Question about air dry modeling clay: I bought a small block of it to get started but I've never used it before. I want to make little sculpts of terrain items like wheels, barrels, crates, etc. - will it stand up to being used as a master model, or should that be for Green Stuff only? Is Milliput silver a good stand-in for Green Stuff?

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Signal posted:

I think what you really want is to look into commission painting.

Sounds good, do you have any links / know anyone who'd be interested?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
There's this guy who did this DVD video tutorial. Another review here. Samples here.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

krushgroove posted:

Question about air dry modeling clay: I bought a small block of it to get started but I've never used it before. I want to make little sculpts of terrain items like wheels, barrels, crates, etc. - will it stand up to being used as a master model, or should that be for Green Stuff only? Is Milliput silver a good stand-in for Green Stuff?

Air dry clay is pretty awful from my experience. I think any of the non Yellow/Gray Milliputs are roughly equivalent to Green Stuff in the ability to hold detail.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK - was just wondering, it was cheap and I'll just use it for practice, or for making one-off stuff that will go into terrain pieces, I guess.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mephiston posted:

Like I said its not as terrible as Infinity

Sorry about your terrible opinions about cool things. :fut:

Infinity is pretty anime but you can mitigate the worst of it if you are clever

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Sorry about your terrible opinions about cool things. :fut:

I forgive you.

Anyway, pissfest aside, i will concede there are a couple of interesting models in infinity.

Mephiston fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 11, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Theres an infinity thread, its definitely a place where non-infinity players go to start arguments

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah, I was joking for the most part, I wrote a whole bunch of words about how terrible some Infinity figures are.

Back on topic, but in a similar vein, does anyone have a source for Infinity-scale arms, or even hands? There's plenty of places that sell GW-style bits, but Games Workshop and their imitators tend to sculpt fists the size of people's heads.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Does anyone know of a good site (or artist, or whatever) to buy painted miniatures?

Apologies if this is off-topic in the thread about actually doing the painting; figured this question wasn't major enough for its own thread.

Look at Reaper's Legendary Encounters line.

http://www.reapermini.com/legendaryencounterspre-paintedplastics

Also look on eBay for Mage Knight lots. You can get a shitload of prepainted figures dirt cheap there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hyzenth1ay posted:

This was probably addressed somewhere in the 671-page thread, but I've been looking online for a few days and haven't managed to dig up anything myself.

I'm just getting back into D&D as a Real Adult with money++ and time--. I would like to purchase a fair number of random neat-looking miniatures to use in the games. Anything fantasy-like is just fine; I'm starting from scratch and so don't have any specific requests. The problem is, though, I have neither time nor talent to paint my own miniatures.

Most of my searches turn up either the boxed D&D sets of plastic ones (which I already bought from Amazon), or, they turn up random websites of dubious security. Looking on the vast majority of the random sites that are still relatively current (read: have been updated in the past year), the models come unpainted. Or, in some other cases, it's not clear whether they come painted or not. I'm assuming they don't, though, since these sites are also selling paints.

I'm not too keen on spending hundreds of dollars per figure, but I could easily see spending $20-$40 per. More for the player characters.

There are few. A whole bunch of places sell unboxed, nonrandom DDM minis. A few other vendors exist - pathfinder, reaper legendary encounters - and WotC are purportedly going to start selling a nonrandom small-squad minis game soon. But in general, your options, particularly for specifically D&D stuff, are buying ex-DDM minis, buying the board game sets and painting them yourself, or buying Reaper (D&D with the serial numbers filed off) minis and painting them yourself.

It's a truism that prepainted minis are generally painted terribly, and I say that as someone who paints terribly; they're worse than my stuff by a long way, usually. Rarely more than flats+ink if you're lucky. You'd be better off learning to paint and painting them yourself.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

Theres an infinity thread, its definitely a place where non-infinity players go to start arguments
I think the Infinity thread is getting to that sexism and misogyny part of the cycle, it's been like 10 pages since the last one too.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Mephiston posted:

I forgive you.

Anyway, pissfest aside, i will concede there are a couple of interesting models in infinity.

Thankfully, they have been learning the error of their ways and also getting better at sculpting. They replaced that catgirl doctor with this one.

Nope, nothing anime there. Er...

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

And yet the master artist who created this piece felt the purple hair was necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yes, it was. These are Nomad minis, they're basically "4chan in space". They thrive on being weird and provocative. One of the basic soldier's concept art says: "has green skin because he wants to". And that was Corregidor, the most tame. Don't even ask about Bakunin.

That said, if you don't want anime in your Infinity, just play Haqqislam or Ariadna (ignore the lovely werewolf minis though).

Speaking of Infinity minis: Anyone know how to transport assembled CA drones? The tendrils/wing covers break at the slightest touch. Epoxy glue doesn't help. I'll have to pin them :psyboom: but I doubt it'll help much transport-wise.

I dread the time when I paint them and attach the acetate wings :gonk:

• Locked thread