Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

I like having a flashlight in my car, but I don't use them often enough and the batteries are usually dead when I need it. Any recommendations on one I can stick into a 12V socket (have a spare one in the trunk that isn't being used for anything) to keep charged for when I need it? Something like this would be okay if no one makes a bigger one with a cord, I guess.

There are commercially-available flashlights that trickle charge off the cigarette lighter until needed...like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-LED-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-FlashLight-12V-Output-/220656817713

e: suggested the same variety you linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Maybe you could get one of these?

My car actually has a little rechargeable flashlight that plugs into its own special socket in the glove box. It may be the worst flashlight I've ever used, but it's good in a pinch.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

bolind posted:

Does anyone have experience with products from Raceramps? I'm specifically considering ordering these: http://www.reverselogic.us/ReverseLogicLimited/Adjustable_Height_Wheel_Cribs.html

I bought a set of traxjax for getting my lowered cars onto my lift. Very pleased with them. I bought them direct from Raceramps.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Uthor posted:

Something like this would be okay if no one makes a bigger one with a cord, I guess.

I have that one and it's plenty good for an emergency roadside flashlight. Not the best, but it's always charged and it's plenty bright enough. Perfect size for holding in your mouth while working.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
this is the one I suggested.

Note the hexagonal ends - it'll lay on the ground or balance across suspension members quite easily. I did an entire front axle/suspension linkage swap on a jeep with one charge, starting after dark.

mr_bunnyfish
Feb 6, 2012
I plan on buying this tool set soon, what do you guys think? The set of ratcheting wrenches is what made me decide on this set over anything else I was looking at. Also are there any other tools I should get in addition to this? I mostly wanted a set to get me in and around the few cars that I work on (83 CJ-7, 01 Crown Vic, and a 92 F-150).

I'm planning on getting a decent floor jack and jack stands soon, too. Any particular recommendations for those? I see Harbor Freight being mentioned a lot here, so I was thinking of going with one of theirs.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

mr_bunnyfish posted:

I plan on buying this tool set soon, what do you guys think? The set of ratcheting wrenches is what made me decide on this set over anything else I was looking at. Also are there any other tools I should get in addition to this? I mostly wanted a set to get me in and around the few cars that I work on (83 CJ-7, 01 Crown Vic, and a 92 F-150).

I'm planning on getting a decent floor jack and jack stands soon, too. Any particular recommendations for those? I see Harbor Freight being mentioned a lot here, so I was thinking of going with one of theirs.

In addition to that kit you are at least gonna need a 1/2 breaker bar. I also recommend you get some actual screwdrivers not just the interchangeable bit one that comes with that kit, never know when you need to poke or pry something. Oh and pliers, specifically needle nose and vise grips.

Can I just take a minute to say how awesome vise grips are? Like, drat.

mr_bunnyfish
Feb 6, 2012

8th-samurai posted:

In addition to that kit you are at least gonna need a 1/2 breaker bar. I also recommend you get some actual screwdrivers not just the interchangeable bit one that comes with that kit, never know when you need to poke or pry something. Oh and pliers, specifically needle nose and vise grips.

Can I just take a minute to say how awesome vise grips are? Like, drat.

Awesome, I didn't even think of pliers of any kind. Those are great ideas. Thanks!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mr_bunnyfish posted:

Also are there any other tools I should get in addition to this? I mostly wanted a set to get me in and around the few cars that I work on (83 CJ-7, 01 Crown Vic, and a 92 F-150).

I know on the manual YJ, you need a bigass socket to open the filler for the transmission. I don't remember off the top of my head what size, but it might be a good exercise to look at your CJ's transmission and see if you need that socket.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
HF makes great breaker bars.

A few other things to add...
1. Rubber Mallet - Just a handy tool to beat the poo poo out of something.
2. A good set of pry bars
3. Set of wire brushes. These are handy, I just buy cheapy HF ones and toss them when I am done.

Especially working on Jeep and F150, you will find yourself beating things out quite often.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

HF's 18" ratcheting breaker bar is by far my favorite tool.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

A few other things to add...
1. Rubber Mallet - Just a handy tool to beat the poo poo out of something.

And a dead blow hammer. They're really convenient when you really need to whack something hard but you can't risk using a metal hammer.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

grover posted:

HF's 18" ratcheting breaker bar is by far my favorite tool.

Have you ever had a problem with the ratcheting portion of it? Need to pickup a 3/8" breaker bar and wondering if the ratcheting one is worth double the cost of the standard one.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

velocross posted:

Have you ever had a problem with the ratcheting portion of it? Need to pickup a 3/8" breaker bar and wondering if the ratcheting one is worth double the cost of the standard one.
I have the 1/2" one. Never had a problem; it's been a solid gently caress-off ratchet. It's amazing what a little extra leverage does to turn an impossible bolt into a trivial one. Since it's a ratchet, it's a lot easier to work with in tight spaces than a conventional breaker bar.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 12, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

kastein posted:

this is the one I suggested.

Note the hexagonal ends - it'll lay on the ground or balance across suspension members quite easily. I did an entire front axle/suspension linkage swap on a jeep with one charge, starting after dark.

Thanks. I ended up getting this. It's almost exactly what I want. I wish I could leave it plugged in all the time, but instructions specifically say to unplug after charging. Still, I can always just plug it in if the battery's dead. The reviews mention some of the bulbs burning out quickly, so we'll see about longevity.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just an FYI....

Sears has a sale on tool boxes.. just picked up at nice 11 drawer unit for 179.00 plus a free mat. Talk about a kick rear end deal. Roller bearing drawers and everything. I just got one myself, I will post a photo. But heck a craftsman toolbox for next to nothing is a kick rear end deal.

Also Menards has great deals on Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches. (midwesterners only)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I was burgled last week and had my toolbox stolen along with my welder and metal chop saw :(

Anybody else buying tools - SAVE YOUR RECIEPTS! (chuck them all in a box and sort them out if you ever need to)

My initial off the top of my head value of my toolbox when asked by the police was exactly half of what it turned out to be when i went through my bix box of reciepts and added it all up and then checked out the current values. Im sure there is still stuff i have missed :(

Has anybody in the UK seen any good offers on tools at the moment? or does anybody know when the next VAT free machine mart day might happen?

I have so far bought one of these - halfords 150piece pro set for £99 - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173083_langId_-1_categoryId_255215. Which isnt as comprehensive as all the seperate sets I used to have but touches most things and seemed a good place to start.

fingers crossed my insurance claim goes through without hassle..

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sorry to hear that - also, if you paid by card, that can help track down what you bought later.

The Machine Mart days are a random thing. If you're on their mailing list, you should get one at some point. Sign up for work, too, as well as home, to double-dip it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Sorry to hear that - also, if you paid by card, that can help track down what you bought later.

The Machine Mart days are a random thing. If you're on their mailing list, you should get one at some point. Sign up for work, too, as well as home, to double-dip it.

Insurance _should_ cover it.. Man on the phone said that if it was under £1000 my claim would likely go through without question even without the reciepts.

As it is, I have found the reciepts for about 80% of my stuff but (on insurance mans advice) am claiming for the replacement values rather than the reciepted values. It is amazing how much stuff has gone up over the last 3 years! (This http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cco14-14in-abrasive-cut-off-saw was £99 inc VAT when i bought it and is now £143!).
I now have a 'new toolbox' file ready for the reciepts.

Am already on the postal mailing lists but now on the email one multiple times ;) I might ring and ask the manager of the local shop and see if he can give me any hints when it might be! - I've got my shopping list ready and by the end of the week should have some money!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Tomarse posted:

I might ring and ask the manager of the local shop and see if he can give me any hints when it might be! - I've got my shopping list ready and by the end of the week should have some money!

Why not ring him and ask if he can cut you a bit of a deal based on the bulk purchase you'd be making at his business?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At least at mine, the staff don't know who is being invited to the days. They get told when they are, but not who's received the cards to come along.

If you were more local to Leicester, I'd also suggest you look at what Cromwell do. I have a friend who works there who can get a decent discount on collection orders.

You may get a discount, but I doubt it, if you're going on a VAT-free day like that. I've spent that kind of amount in one hit before, and they weren't able to cut it further - with the 20% VAT, though, it's still a good saving.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I'm a fellow owner of the Halfords 150 piece kit and I think it is extremely good for what it is. It always goes with me if I think that spanners may be needed.

For the Machine Mart Vat free evening I'd just go into the store and ask when their next one is. For years they had an address of ours that we were never at so we didn't get the invites. But when we knew one was on, we just went in and said that we'd forgotten the invitation. Always worked.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

grover posted:

I have the 1/2" one. Never had a problem; it's been a solid gently caress-off ratchet. It's amazing what a little extra leverage does to turn an impossible bolt into a trivial one. Since it's a ratchet, it's a lot easier to work with in tight spaces than a conventional breaker bar.

I dont use ratcheting tools for breaking loose tight stuff, it can and will shear the inner gears eventually/immidiately. My 18 and 10 from my first set of craftsman brand gear wrenches are blown out, from years of use.
That said, one of the best things i ever bought was stubby gear wrenches. the GW brand itself is pretty legit so far, esp the smooth handles.

A breaker bar should be dead nuts simple so theres nothing to fail. If anyone is on the fence about it just get the conventional one.

Allthough its fuckoff expensive and if you have air power, uneeded, if the breaker bar doesnt work, the dewalt 36v 1/2in electric impact will do the trick. Pulled 30 year old ball joints out with that beast when a 7 foot long cheater-on-breaker was only lifting the front end off the jack stands.

Any opinions on 3/4dr impact guns? I need a high torque pro one but dont want to owe snap on my soul. Hoping to find that pawn shop gold but i need to know what models are cool.

Raw_Beef fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 18, 2012

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Finally caved in and got the Wera Joker set. 10, 13, 17 and 19mm, dunno what happened to the 15 but hey.

They seem nice and strong. The little grippy plate thingie is replacable. Looking forward to testing them out.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Raw_Beef posted:

Any opinions on 3/4dr impact guns? I need a high torque pro one but dont want to owe snap on my soul. Hoping to find that pawn shop gold but i need to know what models are cool.

Our Bahco ones have proved reliable, which is a big statement on a ship. They cop a lot of abuse and wet air and need nothing but a squirt of oil before use.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
FYI today only there's a 25% off one item coupon for Harbor Freight. http://widgets.harborfreight.com/ws...99&keycode=1500

There's some fine print like it doesn't work on compressors, generators, etc. but overall it's not a bad deal.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mod sassinator posted:

FYI today only there's a 25% off one item coupon for Harbor Freight. http://widgets.harborfreight.com/ws...99&keycode=1500

There's some fine print like it doesn't work on compressors, generators, etc. but overall it's not a bad deal.

The nice folks there will pull the coupon off your phone. I just picked up some bullshit items for the garage. I got some trays to organize sockets. They take up a little more space in the box, but its so much easier to look in the drawer and find what you need.

Plus I need to buy a shitload of missing sockets.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Is there a generic AI recommendation for a good torque wrench? I'm going to be picking picking up the HF aluminum racing jack and I figured I might as well bundle some other poo poo together that I've been wanting to pick up.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

The Third Man posted:

Is there a generic AI recommendation for a good torque wrench? I'm going to be picking picking up the HF aluminum racing jack and I figured I might as well bundle some other poo poo together that I've been wanting to pick up.
The HF wrenches can be had with coupons as low as $10, and someone here at some point checked one against either a beam-style or a more expensive clicker and they were spot on.

zifflol
Apr 27, 2004
Necropost in the tools thread. I picked up a set of used 3/4 drive sockets plus ratchet and breaker bar for $50 the other day and think I hit a pretty smokin deal. The universal joint, drag link socket, and 6" extension are snap-on, one flex bar is Plomb, and the rest of the sockets/ratchet are Par-X. All I've found so far is that Par-X was snap-on's value brand from the 70's to the 80's but I cant really find what any of this stuff is worth. I can find the value on the snap-on stuff but nothing on the Par-X

Duke Thompson
Jul 24, 2007
If anyone is interested, Sears has a 260 piece mechanics Craftsman socket set on sale this week for 179.99.
You just need to sign up for the free Craftsman Club membership if you don't have one already.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsmanclubmemberdeals01/nb-100000000227045

Duke Thompson fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 13, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Any 05-ish '06-07 WRX owners in here? My buddy needs a recommendation for a jack. Apparently all the ones we find are too short (in reach not height)

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 13, 2012

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've never wrenched on a Subaru, but my Bahco BH11500 jack is long and low. Expensive, though, and may not be available in the US. I have a feeling that it's rebranded, though, so maybe Snap-On (who owns Bahco) has one?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Any 05-ish WRX owners in here? My buddy needs a recommendation for a jack. Apparently all the ones we find are too short (in reach not height)

Someone besides Harbor Freight makes jacks?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Any 05-ish WRX owners in here? My buddy needs a recommendation for a jack. Apparently all the ones we find are too short (in reach not height)

http://www.jackxchange.com/

These guys carry pretty much everything, low end imports to high end domestic models, all shapes and sizes... you should find something there :)

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
drat, what an un-intuitive website though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The standard low profile heavy as hell steel jack from HF works on my '02 and '11 WRX just fine. It can reach the crossmember without issue.

It's a BIT closer on the '11 and it's easier to put the car on wood blocks first to get a bit more clearance, but it works.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
Harbor Freight finally has an OK deal on the nicer wheel dolly sets for moving cars. The coupon came via email yesterday, at $65 for each dolly (the coupon is good for up to four).
Regularly $99.00, but $65 with coupon:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lb-capacity-mechanical-wheel-dolly-67287.html

I went to my local HF and they had three, and wouldn't sell me the display model, so I just ordered the fourth online ($6.99 shipping). Interestingly, if I added four to the cart, the coupon only took $35 off the total. I couldn't find a way to make it work for all four without four separate orders (which would have been $6.99x4 shipping).

Anyway, it worked out for me. Hopefully these are OK, because the alternatives are super cheap:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1500-lb-capacity-vehicle-dollies-67338.html

Or super expensive:
http://www.eastwood.com/go-jak-rolling-car-jack-1-250-lbs-pack-1.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
Grr, the coupon didn't save correctly. Try this one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008
I just wanna say that the Wera Koloss is one of the best tools I've bought in the last few years. I've abused the poo poo out of it, and other than being a little dirty and scuffed up, it may as well be brand new.

Patiently awaiting a 4-lb version.