Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I will post a trip report once I order it. It probably won't be for a week or so, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Hey goons, I'm not sure whether this is the most apt thread for this but here goes:

I'm a Photoshop user of about 13 or 14 years now give or take (v.5 LE representing) for all sorts of applications -I'm a fairly advanced user.

There's a possibility I'll be getting work in a retouching studio in the near future and I was looking to get current on photo retouching techniques -one of the few areas I've never really 'read into', more felt it out as I went. I deeply understand the tools and the program, but I'd like to learn the tricks of the trade.

What book would anyone recommend as the best catch-all to get a taste for things that isn't a hand-holdey 'this is a mask' guide? I'm erring towards one of Scott Kelby's books -can't go too far wrong- but if there's a hidden gem out there I'd love to hear about it

DaveP fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 25, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

if it is a retouching studio you will need to know how to use dodge and burn either with the tools or curve layers. It is simple and easy to google but time consuming and hard to perfect.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
As my post detailed, I don't need to go over the basic stuff -I've done product photo retouching for a published work and supervised others doing the same- I'm looking for a good reference/resource for industry workflows for things like portrait/skin retouching & more advanced comps than 'here's how you do selective colour' or 'lets make DoF'

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

dodge burn is the industry standard for skin retouching.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Most of what the studio I work for sends to post houses is for color critical work such as changing colors of products, CMYK conversions and matching colors. I found that Martin Evening books are for more "advanced" users but some of it is hand holding. Lynda.com has some great tutorials but over all you should be fine with what you already know. Advanced masking like alpha channels/calculations is helpful with stuff like hair.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Is there a way to batch process a group of photos in LR or PS to automatically change the exposure to 1 stop under exposed? The set of photos in question range from -1 EV to +2 EV and I want to automatically change them all to the same EV.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Saint Fu posted:

Is there a way to batch process a group of photos in LR or PS to automatically change the exposure to 1 stop under exposed? The set of photos in question range from -1 EV to +2 EV and I want to automatically change them all to the same EV.

I know of how to do it in Bridge with Raw files so I can only imagine that you can do the same in lightroom.

In bridge you open one photo with camera raw and then change the exposure and then just copy the development settings and paste to all the photos you want to apply the change to.

In photoshop, you would probably just open the photo you want to change, record an action, and then save it. When you want to edit the batch, just go to image processing, and then apply the action.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other ways but thats my first guess.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Verman posted:

I know of how to do it in Bridge with Raw files so I can only imagine that you can do the same in lightroom.

In bridge you open one photo with camera raw and then change the exposure and then just copy the development settings and paste to all the photos you want to apply the change to.

In photoshop, you would probably just open the photo you want to change, record an action, and then save it. When you want to edit the batch, just go to image processing, and then apply the action.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other ways but thats my first guess.

It sounds to me like he/she wants to do something more complex. He/she has photos that vary in exposure and he/she wants them all to be set to the same exposure relative to the correct exposure, not the same exposure offset of the actual exposure. So he/she has one photo that is overexposed by 1 EV and another that is overexposed by 2 EV, and he/she wants both photos to be set to -1 EV relative to the correct exposure. Frankly I don't think it's possible to do this automatically. Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

e: sorry for the presumptuous gender pronouns

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

LargeHadron posted:

It sounds to me like he/she wants to do something more complex. He/she has photos that vary in exposure and he/she wants them all to be set to the same exposure relative to the correct exposure, not the same exposure offset of the actual exposure. So he/she has one photo that is overexposed by 1 EV and another that is overexposed by 2 EV, and he/she wants both photos to be set to -1 EV relative to the correct exposure. Frankly I don't think it's possible to do this automatically. Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

e: sorry for the presumptuous gender pronouns

Ahh, I misread, I was thinking he/she wanted to bump everything +/- 1EV, not get everything to a specific EV.

Yes I also don't know if that is possible

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

LargeHadron posted:

Yeah, basically this is what I'm trying to do.

I've got a bunch of night photos I'm putting together for star trails and some of them were taken as the sun was starting to lighten the sky. If I blend them all as is (using the brightest pixel in each photo) then a bunch of the trails will be ignored because the ambient sky at the end of the series will be brighter than the stars from the beginning/middle. I was hoping to be able to reduce the exposure of the later photos so I could extend the length of the star trails for the brightest stars while the dimmer stars will sort of fade off. I could go in and hit auto then reduce the exposure on each one but :effort:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Verman posted:

Yes I also don't know if that is possible
The software has no clue what a good exposure is, so apart from doing the good old 17% gray I don't know what you could try.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
What would be the easiest way to move pretty much all of my photos from my internal HD to an external? I'm using Lightroom. I remember last time I moved a whole bunch I had to tell Lightroom where to look for the photos in their new location for each folder individually. It was a bit of a pain.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Use LR's library module to move them. Just drag and drop, add the destination folder (in LR) first if it's not visible yet.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

big cheese posted:

What would be the easiest way to move pretty much all of my photos from my internal HD to an external? I'm using Lightroom. I remember last time I moved a whole bunch I had to tell Lightroom where to look for the photos in their new location for each folder individually. It was a bit of a pain.

You can export your library from within Lightroom.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

evil_bunnY posted:

The software has no clue what a good exposure is, so apart from doing the good old 17% gray I don't know what you could try.
I guess I want to click the auto button in LR for each picture then reduce exposure by 1 EV. Probably not possible to automate this.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Saint Fu posted:

I guess I want to click the auto button in LR for each picture then reduce exposure by 1 EV. Probably not possible to automate this.
Is there no way of copying one processed shots setting and then 'pasting to all selected' in grid view..?

[edit]

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS0E6E6886-E223-4050-B6E0-A97B5B62EF7D.html

Any use?

[editedit] ah sorry, that will only be the auto settings for the one photo, not a new auto setting for each. Maybe a photoshop action?

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 6, 2012

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Martytoof posted:

I'm looking for an OSX specific app that might or might not exist. The app in question should have / would be able to:

- Ingest a folder of images and let me assign metadata tags to each one
- Incrementally look through the folder on subsequent load and show me images which have NO tags
- Have no actual photo editing features whatsoever
- Have the ability to show me all available metadata tags so I can quickly and easily pull up a list of images I want to see. Possibly export those somewhere but that's not a necessary feature.

I need this for a non-photography reason, but in my mind I can see this being something that photo journalists might use to organize large shoots? Or maybe people who do a lot of stock photography?

I suppose if it comes down to it I can use Lightroom, but that seems way overkill for what I need it for, and I'm not sure off the top of my head whether Lightroom can filter by images with no user-added metadata.

I think you already found your answer but the default batch organization and metadata program is Photo Mechanic -- it fits these requirements (except, I suppose, that you can make it crop...)

Highly recommended for people who are trying to organize and do selection on huge batches of images.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Suicide Watch posted:

why is LR4 so much more CPU intensive than LR3?? this is annoying me...

edit: i too am on an i5 with 8GB RAM, had no issues with LR3, but some sliders cause delay/lag to the entire system.

I used to be able to smack the export button and browse the internet while waiting for the export. Now the whole thing pauses while typing and mouse movement locks up every second. This is with an i7 sandybridge overclocked and 16 gigs of ram with a SSD. WTF?!!?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I used to be able to smack the export button and browse the internet while waiting for the export. Now the whole thing pauses while typing and mouse movement locks up every second. This is with an i7 sandybridge overclocked and 16 gigs of ram with a SSD. WTF?!!?

Same thing happened to me. It got so bad that my computer would actually shut itself off sometimes while in LR, especially during exports. That's when I opened up my box and saw that my CPU heatsink was covered in about 3 inches of dust. Cleaned it out, now LR runs very fast.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

LargeHadron posted:

Same thing happened to me. It got so bad that my computer would actually shut itself off sometimes while in LR, especially during exports. That's when I opened up my box and saw that my CPU heatsink was covered in about 3 inches of dust. Cleaned it out, now LR runs very fast.

I blow mine out with an air compressor every month =/

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

LargeHadron posted:

Woops, had this very thing twice last night, time to open up the box and clean the dust bunnies out :o:

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I have what I assume is the same setup and lr4 actually runs better than lr3 did on my old computer. I was nervous to upgrade after everyone mentioned these issues and I'm happy to say I haven't had a single issue with lr4.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

CarrotFlowers posted:

I have what I assume is the same setup and lr4 actually runs better than lr3 did on my old computer. I was nervous to upgrade after everyone mentioned these issues and I'm happy to say I haven't had a single issue with lr4.

I thought I was going to have issues as well, but mine runs buttery smooth and I've only got an i5 with 8gb of ram and an SSD.

Aeka have you upgraded to 4.1 yet?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If LR4 really chokes your machine something is wrong. At worst cranking down the LR priority one notch should get you back to a responsive desktop.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I had posted earlier about LR4 issues and after scouring a few incredibly long adobe forum posts found a solution that worked for me. As in, I can now use sliders without delay, brushing is significantly closer to LR 3 performance, etc. It had to do with making application specific settings on my nVidia card for LR - I am on my phone right now but I can copy down the settings when I get home if anyone is interested.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

rio posted:

I had posted earlier about LR4 issues and after scouring a few incredibly long adobe forum posts found a solution that worked for me. As in, I can now use sliders without delay, brushing is significantly closer to LR 3 performance, etc. It had to do with making application specific settings on my nVidia card for LR - I am on my phone right now but I can copy down the settings when I get home if anyone is interested.

Oh poo poo I want to know this. I just assumed a Q6600 and a GT8800 were past it now :buddy:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The solution that has worked for nearly everyone has been to upgrade to LR 4.1.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I run LR4 and it functions pretty well for what hardware I run (core2duo, 2GB ram :saddowns: ). If I click export and browse around, it's not slow at all. Like evil_bunnY said, something has to be up.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Steve McScene posted:

Oh poo poo I want to know this. I just assumed a Q6600 and a GT8800 were past it now :buddy:

I have a GTS8800 and e2180 clocked to 2.44 and this really did make the program useable for such modest specs. I couldn't find the post that told me the settings so I will list my own - some little things appear differently on other cards so just approximate.

Anisotropic filtering :off
Antialiasing - Gamma correction : off
" - Mode : Override any app setting
" - Setting : 2x
" - Transparency : off
CUDA - GPUs : use global setting (all)
Maximum prerendered frames : use global setting (3)
Multi display/mixed GPU acceleration : compatibility performance mode
Texture filtering - anisotropic sample optimization : on
" - negative LOD bias : allow
" - quality : performance
" - trilinear optimization : on
Threaded optimization : use global setting (auto)
Triple buffering : use global setting (off)
texture filtering - anisotropic filter optimization : off
Vertical sync : use the 3d app setting

I assigned all of these setting to lightroom.exe from the NVIDIA control panel.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sweet. Also can anyone explain why clarity in LR4 is different to LR3? It used to just be like an unsharp mask but not it properly fucks with the contrast of the whole image? Kinda lame.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Is there any way to get rid of this windshield glare with photoshop?

Subie 001 by Jenseales, on Flickr

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Filters, Windsheild glare filter.

In all seriousness, no, not without a hell of a lot of work. Muuuuuch easier to shoot it correctly to begin with to eliminate any sort of reflection like that..

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And by shoot correctly he means use a polarizer.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Similar to this:

big cheese posted:

except I've already moved the photos. I bought a new 1TB internal harddrive and moved all my photos from various scattered external drives (plus the 500gb internal) onto it, taking advantage of the change to get some sorting and organizing done at the same time (i.e. delete duplicates, sort out a messy sub-directory structure). It is not a simple case of one big master directory moving from one drive to another.

If I re-import my photos, is there a way for Lightroom 3.6 to recognize (most) of them as already in the catalogue, just update the directory information?

/\/\/\/ I found that. The problem is I've got about 200 directories to do that way. I'm hoping there's an automated method.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 23, 2012

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I can't remember what the exact nomenclature is, but there's a "Locate missing file" or "Update this location" in the Library module in the folders list.

Normally when you just move stuff, finding one file will find every other file that was in the same directory structure. Since you also did some reorganization you'll have a couple extra runs through, but it should still be fast and easy enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The lightroom export/import catalog works pretty great for that. I use a macbook on vacations to clear off my SD card, then when I get home I export the catalogs and import them on my windows machine.

This process saves any edits you did to the images too.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Turd Nelson posted:

Is there any way to get rid of this windshield glare with photoshop?

it's already been stated, but a circular polarizer produces effects which range from almost impossible to duplicate in photoshop (such as reflection attenuation) to easily doable in photoshop, but even easier in real life with a polarizer.

When I shoot outside during the day, my CPL never leaves the lens.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

So, as a slightly colorblind person I have trouble color correcting pictures. Environmental stuff is a little easier, but skintones can be pretty rough. I'll change stuff to what I think looks better, only to have other people tell me there's some sort of cast of various colors mucking things up.

To try and compensate for this I have been messing around with a photoshop plugin, iCorrect Portrait (http://www.pictocolor.com/portrait.htm). You basically can make multiple selections both for stuff you want to remain neutral (ala lightroom's white balance eyedropper), and for areas you can mark as skin tones, and it works its magic to change the various colors of different things on the screen as appropriate.

It seems to be doing a pretty good job by my (terrible) eyes; can anyone tell me if the following pictures have any significantly messed up skintones?

From what I understand, the program can go a little overboard making people look more tan than they are, but is generally accurate to color cast free skintones. This is all shot on Portra 400, late afternoon sun but mostly shaded where we were:

WE DID NOT GRILL THE BABY OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

In the fifth picture, highlights look like magenta saturation is a tiny bit too high, but overall they look good.

• Locked thread