Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SoundMonkey posted:

The leverage calculator is going to tell you "oh god what in the gently caress are you doing". You might need more than suction cups (at least of that size).

That's got to be at the point of bolting things onto the chassis.

Captain Postal posted:

so that guy put a hasselblad with a leaf digital back... on an 7m long boom... held on with suction caps... to a porche... and then he drove the thing moderately quick around corners.

I'm interested in trying all kinds of photography at least once, but that can gently caress off. Even if I was using someone elses gear I'd die of guilt if I broke something.

I'm too scared to mount my old P&S onto the outside of my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You don't need to go quickly. Just use nd filters and slowly roll. Wide lenses distort and its pretty much done by everyone. I looked at the under mounts but that's no good for supercars and racecars with no clearance really.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Give me a suction cup wide enough and I can mount the world.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

TheLastManStanding posted:

That link says 7 meters, but judging from the pictures I'm not even sure it's that long. Either way he must be using solid mounts. 2kg at 8 meters is 157Nm of torque.

That thing is going to wobble like a bad dubstep tune.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

There must be a way to do it. Engineering is awesome and fun.
Also it's better to try and fail than never try at all imo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Steve McScene posted:

There must be a way to do it. Engineering is awesome and fun.
Also it's better to try and fail than never try at all imo.

Get heavy fishing line, tie to car, get the lightest camera you can find and affix a kite to it. Maybe pay a geek to rig the kite so you can "steer" it a little bit with a remote control. Attach kite to fishing line, have car drive as fast as it can to keep the rig airborne.

Take pictures. :v:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I earnestly thought about what I could do with a small hovercraft.
I didn't think it would work in the end though.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Steve McScene posted:

You don't need to go quickly. Just use nd filters and slowly roll. Wide lenses distort and its pretty much done by everyone. I looked at the under mounts but that's no good for supercars and racecars with no clearance really.

:aaa: Here I am thinking the rig has to stand up to a ton of force as the car flies down the highway.

Why not use a chase car with a similar camera setup so you don't have to use photoshop on all the suction cups and steel stuff in the photos? A pickup truck with a tripod should be way safer than a 25 foot steel contraption, and it would be easier to match the speed if they're rolling slowly. Are there flashes or strobes involved?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

red19fire posted:

:aaa: Here I am thinking the rig has to stand up to a ton of force as the car flies down the highway.

Why not use a chase car with a similar camera setup so you don't have to use photoshop on all the suction cups and steel stuff in the photos? A pickup truck with a tripod should be way safer than a 25 foot steel contraption, and it would be easier to match the speed if they're rolling slowly. Are there flashes or strobes involved?

This is a hell of a lot better idea than putting anything you care about on a 25' boom attached via suction cups to a moving car.

In other news, a major-version upgrade of FreeBSD is probably the most tedious thing I've done this month. On the plus side I didn't break network connectivity, which is good, because I don't have a keyboard or monitor.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

red19fire posted:

I did something similar assisting a portrait of a bicyclist. I drove a pickup truck two guys in the bed, one shooting and one holding a strobe/softbox, and the guy on the bike riding behind. It worked out surprisingly well.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I hate to interrupt Car Chat, but I wanted to try out Lightroom 4. I downloaded it from Adobe and installed it, and then got this when I started it up:

My question: is that going to gently caress my lightroom 3 catalogs? I am using the 30 days LR4 trial, when that expires will my LR3 be borked?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Okay that image seriously hosed with my head.

"oh look new posts, click thread, check clock, look back, see scary warning about LR4 in the middle of my screen" :supaburn:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Okay that image seriously hosed with my head.

"oh look new posts, click thread, check clock, look back, see scary warning about LR4 in the middle of my screen" :supaburn:

Hahaha. In retrospect I'm glad I took the window screenshot. The drop shadow makes it look like a legit window.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Awkward Davies posted:

I hate to interrupt Car Chat, but I wanted to try out Lightroom 4. I downloaded it from Adobe and installed it, and then got this when I started it up:

My question: is that going to gently caress my lightroom 3 catalogs? I am using the 30 days LR4 trial, when that expires will my LR3 be borked?

When I went from 2 to 3 it kept the original catalog untouched

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Awkward Davies posted:

Not sure if this is the same thing, but when I went to LR4 it updated ALL of my photos to the new processing scheme. Made a lot of them look like absolute poo poo. I was going through all of them one-by-one reverting them back to the old processing before I realized I could batch them all back.

Moral of the story: Be wary of when LR4 wants to do anything that affects your whole catalog. (Maybe backup your catalog files to a different location just in case.)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Awkward Davies posted:

No, it's asking you to create a new catalog and import the info.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

That 70s Shirt posted:

Not sure if this is the same thing, but when I went to LR4 it updated ALL of my photos to the new processing scheme. Made a lot of them look like absolute poo poo. I was going through all of them one-by-one reverting them back to the old processing before I realized I could batch them all back.

Moral of the story: Be wary of when LR4 wants to do anything that affects your whole catalog. (Maybe backup your catalog files to a different location just in case.)

That's weird. I upgraded to LR4 and I had to explicitly tell it which images to convert to the new process.

But yeah, back up them catalog files. (You should anyway.)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kazy posted:

No, it's asking you to create a new catalog and import the info.

Ahh okay thanks. I did so and it seems fine. I already don't like 4 tho. They made switching in between Library and Develop less intuitive and it's annoying.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

Ahh okay thanks. I did so and it seems fine. I already don't like 4 tho. They made switching in between Library and Develop less intuitive and it's annoying.

What change is that? I just click on the tabs up top like a moron so it didn't act any different for me.

Takes some getting used to the new sliders though, but I gotta say highlight recovery is as big of an improvement as NR was in LR3.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

What change is that? I just click on the tabs up top like a moron so it didn't act any different for me.

Takes some getting used to the new sliders though, but I gotta say highlight recovery is as big of an improvement as NR was in LR3.

If I have a photo selected in the library, and then hit "Develop" I should be brought to that photo in the Develop screen. Instead, Lightroom4 keeps telling me "no photo selected" which is infuriating.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Awkward Davies posted:

If I have a photo selected in the library, and then hit "Develop" I should be brought to that photo in the Develop screen. Instead, Lightroom4 keeps telling me "no photo selected" which is infuriating.

It works that way for me. Are you sure you actually have a photo selected and not in grid view?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Yeah same here. I just upgraded to 4 and have not had an issue with moving to develop. If I accidentally forget to select a photo first I get that message, but I did that at times in lr3 as well.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Steve McScene posted:

Wide lenses distort and its pretty much done by everyone.
The guy you linked was shooting with a 35mm lens on a medium format camera and the pictures are fine. With the centered and the background blurred there really isn't going to be any noticeable distortion as long as you use a rectilinear lens. As a mechanical engineer I can tell you that 24 ft is possible, but needlessly complex and expensive. The forces and problems encountered on cantilevered beams are exponential and the gain in image going from a 10ft pole to a 20ft pole isn't worth the cost. If you are still dead set on making it that long, build a cart and just use the poles to make it follow.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TheLastManStanding posted:

The guy you linked was shooting with a 35mm lens on a medium format camera and the pictures are fine. With the centered and the background blurred there really isn't going to be any noticeable distortion as long as you use a rectilinear lens. As a mechanical engineer I can tell you that 24 ft is possible, but needlessly complex and expensive. The forces and problems encountered on cantilevered beams are exponential and the gain in image going from a 10ft pole to a 20ft pole isn't worth the cost. If you are still dead set on making it that long, build a cart and just use the poles to make it follow.

How long would you make it and still make it easy to build? HMmmmmmm.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Steve McScene posted:

It's 100% possible since I've seen a couple of examples of it. But as you can imagine, their methods are pretty secretive.

Heres some examples from a 9m rig:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=539818

Did anyone else notice that most of the sigs on that form list a huge stack of gear, but still take pains to point out L lenses?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

squidflakes posted:

Did anyone else notice that most of the sigs on that form list a huge stack of gear, but still take pains to point out L lenses?

I like that they need to make the L red as well.

reason one million why this is the best photography forum.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Get a wide angle lens, take pictures of your car while parked, figure out the distance from there. I'd start at 10 ft and go from there. You might even want to practice with even shorter shots that don't even include the whole body.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have a 8mm but I was hoping to keep 30+ tbh.
What do you reckon?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Steve McScene posted:

I have a 8mm but I was hoping to keep 30+ tbh.
What do you reckon?

Don't listen to these naysayers, they have no vision. I think you can go at least 40 feet before you run into problems. Do it for science, do it for us.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

8th-samurai posted:

Don't listen to these naysayers, they have no vision. I think you can go at least 40 feet before you run into problems. Do it for science, do it for us.

It's not long enough until the car tips on two wheels.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I meant 30mm focal length :saddowns:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Beastruction posted:

Just add a 5th wheel to your rig, and bam!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Beastruction posted:

This man knows what's up. Listen to his wisdom. (or her I really don't know Beastruction's preferred gender identity, so whatevs.)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

Now that would be a badass photo.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The only solution is to rent a boomtruck with a bucket. Lower bucket to street level at about 40 feet, then push your art button.

I would advise you to not go over 30mph with a bucket truck and the boom lowered in that manner.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I wish Canon would replace the Direct Print button with an Art Button.

"Holy poo poo! The 7DMkII can do 8 arts per second!"

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Musket posted:

I would advise you to not go over 30mph with a bucket truck and the boom lowered in that manner.

Musket does not know what he is talking about. Those puppies will do at least 70.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Judy Lee Tomerlin Chooses A Platter by paul.malon, on Flickr

Ah, the more things change... :)

I do love some of the big Flickr groups for vintage stuff, every day there's a new selection of amusement :cool:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/vintagemagazines/pool/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/vintage_advertising/pool/

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I just got back from essentially two weeks of vacation in Yosemite/Grand Canyon/Zion/Bryce and a week of working in Tampa and I have never been so sick of photographers in all my life. Photography is so great, I just wish the assholes would stay away. Also, I'm pretty confident I've seen every Canon kit lens ever created at this point.

You'll be happy to know I got a sequel to my shot of the barn photographers from Grand Teton's last year while I was in Yosemite.

Got any tips for shooting those parks? Im there in a month!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Fists Up posted:

Got any tips for shooting those parks? Im there in a month!

Not just that park but any, some sort of tripod even if its just a gorilla pod and a circular polarizer make things much better.