Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

There was a film I remember my mother watching, well over 10 years ago, on VHS (it might've been a series of films). It was a sci-fi film with aliens I believe, but the plot element I remember the best is that there were these alien storage devices, that were basically small spheres. When these were activated, they started floating mid-air and sucking everything around them into them, even people. Specifically I remember one scene where one such device got activated and everyone in the room hanged on to whatever was around (I think maybe columns?) to avoid getting sucked in, but at least one of them did.

I'd tried asking her about them and she doesn't remember a thing. If I remember the video/audio quality properly they must've been '80s or '90s films.

v That's it, thanks!

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

YF-23 posted:

There was a film I remember my mother watching, well over 10 years ago, on VHS (it might've been a series of films). It was a sci-fi film with aliens I believe, but the plot element I remember the best is that there were these alien storage devices, that were basically small spheres. When these were activated, they started floating mid-air and sucking everything around them into them, even people. Specifically I remember one scene where one such device got activated and everyone in the room hanged on to whatever was around (I think maybe columns?) to avoid getting sucked in, but at least one of them did.

I'd tried asking her about them and she doesn't remember a thing. If I remember the video/audio quality properly they must've been '80s or '90s films.

The Arrival

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Atoramos posted:

Here's a movie I remember a single scene in and nothing else. A man uses a belt to strap a cat to some sort of scenery, and while discussing the matter with those around he charges the cat headbutting it (and presumably killing the cat). I believe it was a comedy but I could be wrong. I've been 100% unsuccessful in finding this scene, which I think I originally saw on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Jn4gdwls8

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

I can't use sound right now, but is this supposed to be a comedy? Because who the gently caress has a movie about killing a cat by running full speed into it with your face?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's a terrible movie that gets a lot of acclaim because it's really long and Bertolucci made it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I only remember this one scene. I will be amazed if anyone knows what this is.

There were two people, an older guy in a wheelchair and a younger, slightly fat woman. The one guy had his wheelchair next to this fireplace with a stack of papers. I think it was a manuscript but I don't remember. The woman had a gun and was begging him not to burn anything. He just looked at her and threw it into the fire, whereupon she freaked out and shot him. The wheelchair tipped over and the woman scrambled over to the fireplace in an attempt to save whatever was left. I think she was crying.

I think I saw this on television sometime during the 90s but honestly my memory is foggy.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Misery?

Edit: at least that's what I think of when I hear "guy in a wheelchair," "fat woman" and "manuscript" in the same sentence.

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 7, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

QuoProQuid posted:

I only remember this one scene. I will be amazed if anyone knows what this is.

There were two people, an older guy in a wheelchair and a younger, slightly fat woman. The one guy had his wheelchair next to this fireplace with a stack of papers. I think it was a manuscript but I don't remember. The woman had a gun and was begging him not to burn anything. He just looked at her and threw it into the fire, whereupon she freaked out and shot him. The wheelchair tipped over and the woman scrambled over to the fireplace in an attempt to save whatever was left. I think she was crying.

I think I saw this on television sometime during the 90s but honestly my memory is foggy.

Misery

edit - I've been scooped!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

MrGreenShirt posted:

Misery?

Edit: at least that's what I think of when I hear "guy in a wheelchair," "fat woman" and "manuscript" in the same sentence.

penismightier posted:

Misery

edit - I've been scooped!

You know Misery is the only Stephen King movie I haven't seen in full? That's probably why I didn't recognize it. Thanks guys!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So there's a movie I recall hearing talked about on these forums. Someone was mentioning, maybe in the Movie Posters thread or something similar, that [Movie] and Bangkok Dangerous seemed like they had their marketing campaigns switched. The marketing for Bangkok Dangerous made it seem like a quiet, somber, contemplative piece about being a hitman, while the marketing for [Movie] made it seem like more of a mindless fun time, but the actual movies ended up being the opposite.

So this is a quiet movie about a hitman (or hitmen?) that came out roughly at the same time as Bangkok Dangerous. Does this ring any bells, or am I making this up?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jonny Angel posted:

So there's a movie I recall hearing talked about on these forums. Someone was mentioning, maybe in the Movie Posters thread or something similar, that [Movie] and Bangkok Dangerous seemed like they had their marketing campaigns switched. The marketing for Bangkok Dangerous made it seem like a quiet, somber, contemplative piece about being a hitman, while the marketing for [Movie] made it seem like more of a mindless fun time, but the actual movies ended up being the opposite.

So this is a quiet movie about a hitman (or hitmen?) that came out roughly at the same time as Bangkok Dangerous. Does this ring any bells, or am I making this up?

There's The American, but they're a bit far apart date wise.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Power of Pecota posted:

I've got one from a friend, I haven't seen this myself.

A middle-aged mom color-codes a bunch of meals for an adult-age person (early 20s by their estimation) and she goes over different colors meaning different things, specifically that "Blue means beef" and "Purple means pork, and it might be sort of confusing since pink could mean pork, but purple means pork"

Just wanna bring this one up in case it was missed on the last page. This has been bugging me because I know I have seen this scene, but I don't remember where. It may have been a TV show, not a movie? At any rate I remember the line more as, "Purple is pork because P is for pork. Although P could mean pink or purple" but now who knows, I've googled every combination I can think of and I'm still stumped.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

wheatpuppy posted:

Just wanna bring this one up in case it was missed on the last page. This has been bugging me because I know I have seen this scene, but I don't remember where. It may have been a TV show, not a movie? At any rate I remember the line more as, "Purple is pork because P is for pork. Although P could mean pink or purple" but now who knows, I've googled every combination I can think of and I'm still stumped.

This sounds so, so familiar. I wanna say it's from a 90's TV show, like Clarissa Explains it All or something. But it might be a 90's movie too.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Sedes posted:

Ok, now this will, unfortunately, be really vague. REALLY. VAGUE.

I can recall this film (or tv series) only by this one sequence.

A 'forest' so dense the trees are basically next to each other, all of them have basically cylinrical shapes (very regular), all with a grayish palete, the camera goes up and passes the tree top to reveal each tree is topped with big, stern faces that are of the same material as the trees, with a gray-yellow-greenish tint/glow (quite faded) to them - their crowns consist only of some twisted branches with no leaves (or scarce amounts of them), it goes even higher and then forward, beyond the tree tops (all of the same height), to a kind of retro CG city flight animation sequence, the sky is black, the buildings are all red brick structures (no shaders, retro CG).

That's all I got unfortunately. It's been haunting me for some time already and can't really get it out of my head / don't want to :(.

Initially I thought you were talking about the music video for Bjork's Bachelorette (uniform cylindrical trees transforming into a red city scape) but after watching it again there's no actual CG. Only mentioning it on the incredibly unlikely chance you remembered that part and are somehow mixing it up with something else.

Content: This has been bugging me for a while. I wanna say this was filmed either sometime in the 80's or early-to-mid 90's. Woman is fed up with her life in the country, so she leaves her husband/boyfriend in the middle of the night (just gets right out of bed, packs and leaves with him still in it--maybe leaves a note though) and heads to the city. The one scene I distinctly remember is her stopping on a bridge to count her money or something when the wind blows it out of her hands. She tries grabbing it again and nearly falls off the bridge, but some dude she's been talking to/just met saves her. He ends up driving her to a hotel I think, where she propositions him before leaving the car as a thank-you of sorts, but he refuses. This all happens in like the first fifteen minutes of the movie. The guy was definitely not some heartthrob, probably middle-aged (with glasses maybe?) and I think the woman was blonde but I'm not sure.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Content: This has been bugging me for a while. I wanna say this was filmed either sometime in the 80's or early-to-mid 90's. Woman is fed up with her life in the country, so she leaves her husband/boyfriend in the middle of the night (just gets right out of bed, packs and leaves with him still in it--maybe leaves a note though) and heads to the city. The one scene I distinctly remember is her stopping on a bridge to count her money or something when the wind blows it out of her hands. She tries grabbing it again and nearly falls off the bridge, but some dude she's been talking to/just met saves her. He ends up driving her to a hotel I think, where she propositions him before leaving the car as a thank-you of sorts, but he refuses. This all happens in like the first fifteen minutes of the movie. The guy was definitely not some heartthrob, probably middle-aged (with glasses maybe?) and I think the woman was blonde but I'm not sure.
Straight Talk starring Dolly Parton.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

I remember watching a movie on TV quite a few (maybe 10 max) years ago when I was young (it was maybe 80s/90s era) and I'm quite keen to watch it again and actually understand it. It was an American movie with mafia/gangland overtones, in that people had guns and were involved in that sort of stuff, but that wasn't what the movie was centred around as such - it (or the bit I saw/remember) was set around a mansion and the cast seemed small, perhaps just a woman and two men. I believe the plot vaguely centred around a husband and wife and a man (perhaps a friend of the husband) and the consequences of the man's affair with the wife. It ended, I think, with a gunshot - it wasn't clear who had shot who, and I seem to remember it was a surprise - perhaps the wife shot her lover, or even that nobody was killed at all. It might then have ended with one of the men driving off with the woman in a nice sports car, but I'm not sure.

Oddly, the only line I remember clearly is one of the men saying something to the effect of "a man will say anything before he's come" or "as long as he gets to come" or something like that.

I might have got the details wrong, as it was a long time ago, but I hope this gives a general impression of the movie that's specific enough for someone to work it out. Thanks!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

wheatpuppy posted:

Turns out it's a McDonalds commercial: http://www.benfolds.org/forum/18593/2

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
No wonder it was so familiar! :doh:

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
This is a long shot, but you guys seem good. I saw this on Italian TV last week, but I think it was of Middle Eastern origin because the writing in the background was in Arabic-style script. It was one of the strangest yet most entertaining things I've seen despite the fact that I couldn't understand what they were saying.

It was an action movie with a huge cast, not a lot of budget, and a lot of confusing stuff going on. Around when I came in, a young guy in an all-white outfit with bellbottoms had snuck into an semi-underground mansion and was fighting everyone until a lady with a bandage on her head came lurching out and yelled some long explanation which caused him to hug the guy who had previously been trying to shoot him.

Most of the section that I saw revolved around two competing groups of guys who were fighting for possession of an incriminating black and white photograph. There was an action sequence in a rotating rooftop restaurant where one guy had a ring that left cross-shaped cuts wherever he punched. At one point during the fight, a guy with a serious Captain Nemo beard and military-style jacket popped up behind the bar and pulled a lever which caused the restaurant to spin and everyone to fall over. Some kind of uneasy peace was reached, but soon, it was time for a full musical number in which three girls* and three guys from one of the families dressed up as a matador and a flamenco dancer, Charlie Chaplin and Audrey Hepburn in her derby costume from My Fair Lady, and a Russian guy (?) and some ambiguous costume that involved a lot of neon scarves. They used the distraction of the musical number to steal the photograph and escape.

*One of these girls had thick waist-length pigtail braids, and at an earlier point she and the other two girls had been spying on the Captain Nemo guy with a telescope, then all climbed on the same motorcycle and jumped through a window with it to save somebody else in a fight.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jonny Angel posted:

I want to say In Bruges, which I went into expecting a Guy Ritchie-style mockney gangster comedy and boy was I surprised.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I remember a movie from a long time ago, we're talking at or before like '91 or '92. Used to have it on the same cheap recorded VHS that I had Winnie the Pooh on when I was a kid.

All I really remember is there's the main(?) character who is a kid, who has some kind of magical paintbrush, and anything he paints comes real. There were sky-ships and possibly sky-pirates or something like that, and for some reason my muddled old memories from 20 years ago seem to place most of the movie in somewhere that looks like Venice. Live-action but possibly with some animation since the concept was that it brought painted stuff to life via that paintbrush.

Anyone have any idea what it is I remember? I've never been able to find a name from that vague description and we haven't had that old VHS for years and years.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

It probably isn't what you're looking for, but the main character in The Elm-Chanted Forest has a magic paintbrush.

Edit: Or possibly The Peanut Butter Solution.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Naw, that's definitely not it. What I remember was live-action primarily, for sure.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I've got two brief scenes in my mind, that may or may not be from the same movie. I'd say the film/s is/are from the early or mid-90s. First scene is a woman working for a suicide hotline. A call comes in from a guy using a payphone. The connection is bad, and the person working for the hotline tells the guy to click the thing, meaning the part that depresses when the phone is hung up, but instead we hear a gunshot over the line. Also, I have this notion that the woman at the suicide hotline was played by a man in drag, though I don't know if that's part of the character or is meant to be comedic for the audience. Second scene is an older woman, maybe on or near a beach, and she's looking sad. A man about her age is out walking some dogs, and he comes upon her. He notices that she's sad and says something along the lines of "What can I do you for?". They end up having sex.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Detective Thompson posted:

I've got two brief scenes in my mind, that may or may not be from the same movie. I'd say the film/s is/are from the early or mid-90s. First scene is a woman working for a suicide hotline. A call comes in from a guy using a payphone. The connection is bad, and the person working for the hotline tells the guy to click the thing, meaning the part that depresses when the phone is hung up, but instead we hear a gunshot over the line. Also, I have this notion that the woman at the suicide hotline was played by a man in drag, though I don't know if that's part of the character or is meant to be comedic for the audience. Second scene is an older woman, maybe on or near a beach, and she's looking sad. A man about her age is out walking some dogs, and he comes upon her. He notices that she's sad and says something along the lines of "What can I do you for?". They end up having sex.

Sounds like the dreadful 1994 flop Mixed Nuts, which wasted one hell of an impressive cast of bigshot comedians and comic actors. The crossdressing suicide-hotline operator was part of the plot, yeah.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thanks, I had the idea that it has some well-known names in the cast, but I couldn't recall any of them. I should have remembered Steven Wright was the guy at the payphone.

So is the second scene I'm recalling in that movie, or is it indeed another film?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

That's absolutely Mixed Nuts, although I have no idea how you could think Madeline Kahn was a man in drag...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jonnty posted:

I remember watching a movie on TV quite a few (maybe 10 max) years ago when I was young (it was maybe 80s/90s era) and I'm quite keen to watch it again and actually understand it. It was an American movie with mafia/gangland overtones, in that people had guns and were involved in that sort of stuff, but that wasn't what the movie was centred around as such - it (or the bit I saw/remember) was set around a mansion and the cast seemed small, perhaps just a woman and two men. I believe the plot vaguely centred around a husband and wife and a man (perhaps a friend of the husband) and the consequences of the man's affair with the wife. It ended, I think, with a gunshot - it wasn't clear who had shot who, and I seem to remember it was a surprise - perhaps the wife shot her lover, or even that nobody was killed at all. It might then have ended with one of the men driving off with the woman in a nice sports car, but I'm not sure.

Oddly, the only line I remember clearly is one of the men saying something to the effect of "a man will say anything before he's come" or "as long as he gets to come" or something like that.

I might have got the details wrong, as it was a long time ago, but I hope this gives a general impression of the movie that's specific enough for someone to work it out. Thanks!
Sleuth and Clue are both similar-ish to what you're describing, but that's just wild guessing. Was it a black and white film?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

So is the second scene I'm recalling in that movie, or is it indeed another film?

No, "Mixed Nuts" does have a "What can I do you for?" "I'll tell you what you can do me for" exchange in it.

Power of Pecota posted:

That's absolutely Mixed Nuts, although I have no idea how you could think Madeline Kahn was a man in drag...

Probably just wires crossed in the memory; Liev Schrieber played a crossdresser in the film (not an employee of the hotline, though, that was me remembering wrong).

TorpedoBeetle
Jan 23, 2004
Goon Justice
420-everyday

FUCK TELLTALE
GAMES
There are a couple of movies that I saw bits of on TV as a kid in the late 80s that have stuck with me through the years, and maybe you guys can shed a little light on what they might be.

The first one had a guy taking a shower in an RV, and the light in the bathroom blinks a few times. For some reason the guy unscrews the light bulb and (while still under running water in the shower) sticks his finger in the socket, is electrocuted and dies. I was probably four or five when I saw this, and even then I was wondering what the hell that guy was supposed to be thinking. Every time I screw in a light bulb, I think back to that scene. Later in the same movie, some other guy is trying to get rid of shower dude's corpse, and I remember him dressing the body up in typical 'tourist' garb; bright red Hawaiian shirt, sunglasses, and maybe a white hat. He puts the body in the driver's seat of the RV, jams the accelerator and the thing drives off a cliff and blows up. That's all I remember from the first movie. From the quality and color of the film, I want to date it from the early-mid 70s to the early 80s.

The second one was a horror/sci-fi flick set in a mansion, and there are aliens or monsters or something killing people? All I remember is an 80s-style 'radical' kid, possibly the protagonist, and he finds dead people (including his parents) all over the mansion like they died in their tracks; lying in bed, in the bathroom, walking down the hall, etc. The corpses are basically piles of steaming gunk laid out in vaguely human shape. There may or may not have been some kind of a vault in the mansion? I can't remember much else, except that it scared the ever-loving poo poo out of me when I was a kid, and gave me nightmares for years.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

tacodaemon posted:

Probably just wires crossed in the memory; Liev Schrieber played a crossdresser in the film (not an employee of the hotline, though, that was me remembering wrong).

Yeah, I haven't seen the film since it would have first come out on video, so it's just memories being mixed up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TorpedoBeetle posted:

The first one had a guy taking a shower in an RV, and the light in the bathroom blinks a few times. For some reason the guy unscrews the light bulb and (while still under running water in the shower) sticks his finger in the socket, is electrocuted and dies. I was probably four or five when I saw this, and even then I was wondering what the hell that guy was supposed to be thinking. Every time I screw in a light bulb, I think back to that scene. Later in the same movie, some other guy is trying to get rid of shower dude's corpse, and I remember him dressing the body up in typical 'tourist' garb; bright red Hawaiian shirt, sunglasses, and maybe a white hat. He puts the body in the driver's seat of the RV, jams the accelerator and the thing drives off a cliff and blows up. That's all I remember from the first movie. From the quality and color of the film, I want to date it from the early-mid 70s to the early 80s.
Jinxed?

TorpedoBeetle
Jan 23, 2004
Goon Justice
420-everyday

FUCK TELLTALE
GAMES

Haha, that's it! It's on Netflix instant and I'm watching the scenes I remembered right now. So bizarre seeing this after a good 22 years of wondering what the hell it was. Thanks!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TorpedoBeetle posted:

Haha, that's it! It's on Netflix instant and I'm watching the scenes I remembered right now. So bizarre seeing this after a good 22 years of wondering what the hell it was. Thanks!
:haw: I got one!

It was the dressing him up that rang a bell, since one of the teasers they used to show for it had Bette Midler saying, "Remember how you said you wouldn't be caught dead in it? Well guess what Harold..."

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Don't remember much about this movie, but it was a horror movie (not a very good one) involving monsters that lived in radio static. At the climax of the movie the main characters were in a radio station or something and the monsters actually emerge in a physical form. I seem to recall that they looked kinda like the SH2 monsters but made out of television static.

Most of this is probably misremembered but hopefully there's enough there to figure out what I'm blabbing on about.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Funkmaster General posted:

Don't remember much about this movie, but it was a horror movie (not a very good one) involving monsters that lived in radio static. At the climax of the movie the main characters were in a radio station or something and the monsters actually emerge in a physical form. I seem to recall that they looked kinda like the SH2 monsters but made out of television static.

Most of this is probably misremembered but hopefully there's enough there to figure out what I'm blabbing on about.

White Noise?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Funkmaster General posted:

Pulse, with Kristen Bell?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The first paragraph of the plot synopsis here sounds incredibly familiar, so I'm going to assume this is it, even though a lot of the other stuff doesn't quite match up with what I recall.

Thanks!

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Ok, I remember this kid from when I was younger, so probably a video rental from the early to mid 90's. I believe there was a male detective and a female psychic trying to catch a killer who had occult powers, or was trying to perform some kind of ritual. I remember one scene where the detective and psychic enter an apartment building, and the scene plays out like the man dies, but it turns out it was just the woman's psychic premonition and she tells him to be careful. I remember a scene where a body falls off from the top of a building, and a scene where a dead body is hung from some kind of bridge or construction site. I believe the final scene ends with the man and the killer fighting in a sewer-type environment, and I want to say the killer was either dressed like a nun, or had possessed a nun.

Any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Discospawn posted:

Ok, I remember this kid from when I was younger, so probably a video rental from the early to mid 90's. I believe there was a male detective and a female psychic trying to catch a killer who had occult powers, or was trying to perform some kind of ritual. I remember one scene where the detective and psychic enter an apartment building, and the scene plays out like the man dies, but it turns out it was just the woman's psychic premonition and she tells him to be careful. I remember a scene where a body falls off from the top of a building, and a scene where a dead body is hung from some kind of bridge or construction site. I believe the final scene ends with the man and the killer fighting in a sewer-type environment, and I want to say the killer was either dressed like a nun, or had possessed a nun.

Any help?

Sounds like The First Power with Lou Diamond Phillips.