Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Nevermind, wrong thread.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Parts-picking megathread.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Can anyone explain, or link me to an explanation on why category 5 Ethernet cable connectors split the orange pair (T568A), or the green pair (T568B) on pins 3 & 6?

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ok, I want to know if I should have went about this differently.

For a very long time, my cable internet connection (cable modem connected to a router) would intermittently disconnect. I accessed it through a wireless card. Often the internet connection would come back 17 seconds later, it was obnoxious but bearable. Anyway, couple of nights ago the entire internet connection seemed to be out, and when I came home I restarted the modem, and regained the connection...momentarily. I then moved the modem downstairs to a different computer (the comp upstairs is an awful computer and I didn't want to deal with it) and directly hooked it into the computer. It was working fine for a day, and then sure enough the same problem as the other day started happening -- losing connection for longer periods.

Anyway, I determined that it was a faulty cable modem and I went to the local computer store and bought a new one as my internet service provider wouldn't replace the one I owned (we've had it for four years or some such.)

Is there anything else I could have done other than plopping $80 for a new modem? Anyway, this is the one I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable-Modem-5341J/dp/B0063K4NN6/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_3

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Opus125 posted:

dead cable modem
Nope, if that fixed it you just needed a new modem. I generally recommend renting one from your ISP if possible so that you don't have to worry about them blaming your equipment if you have problems in the future, and if you do have issues you can just swap it out to see if that fixes the problem without having to buy a new one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CrystalDiskInfo is showing some reallocated sectors on 2 of my drives. 2 reallocated on my 500GB drive (with a whopping 20k hours and :devil: 666 power cycles), the other is a 1TB with almost 10k hours and 1 reallocated sector.

The 1TB drive was originally an external drive, so it's been bumped around a bit. The 500GB has always been an internal drive, though it's pushing about 5 years old now.

Should I start worrying now, or do you think I'm safe to keep using these for awhile? I do regular backups of critical stuff to an external drive, so the only real issue I'm facing is reinstalling my OS and all my software when one of them craps out. A year ago the 500GB was showing 1 reallocated sector instead of 2.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 10, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

some texas redneck posted:

CrystalDiskInfo is showing some reallocated sectors on 2 of my drives. 2 reallocated on my 500GB drive (with a whopping 20k hours and :devil: 666 power cycles), the other is a 1TB with almost 10k hours and 1 reallocated sector.

The 1TB drive was originally an external drive, so it's been bumped around a bit. The 500GB has always been an internal drive, though it's pushing about 5 years old now.

Should I start worrying now, or do you think I'm safe to keep using these for awhile? I do regular backups of critical stuff to an external drive, so the only real issue I'm facing is reinstalling my OS and all my software when one of them craps out. A year ago the 500GB was showing 1 reallocated sector instead of 2.
I'd look into replacing them, and RMA'ing them if possible (not likely given the run-time hours). Bad sectors will grow over time, and your chances of cloning the drive instead of reinstalling decrease the more corruption you get.

The 500GB drive is probably low-risk, but I'd replace the 1TB drive at least sooner rather than later. If you don't care about reinstalling you can risk extending the replacement.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I should have mentioned, they're all long out of warranty. The newest drive still has nearly 9000 hours on it - and my PC is setup to sleep after 30 minutes. The 1TB drive MIGHT be in warranty if I hadn't removed it from its external enclosure - I got sick of the laughable speed of an external drive on USB 2.0. It wound up having a rather quick 7200 RPM SATA/300 drive inside the enclosure.

I'm pushing almost 1 year on this installation of Windows, a reinstall would probably do this PC a lot of good.

code:
Original Install Date:     8/5/2011, 11:36:21 PM
Once I have a steady job I'll look into replacing the 500GB and 1TB drives.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
How low can I go on system specs if I need a PC to run Photoshop/Illustrator flawlessly?

My girlfriend needs a new PC and I'm pretty sure I don't need an i5 setup to get her working, but I don't want to get her some $200 barebones thing either.

fudyr
Oct 29, 2010

This silence is mine
So, I just ordered a new CPU (Intel i5 2500K), memory (2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz), and motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V LX). My old motherboard (Asus P5QL Pro) has a 4-pin ATX power connector to power the CPU. Now the new motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V LX) has an 8-pin ATX power connector. My PSU (Antec NeoHE 500W) has two 4-pin ATX power connector's.
So do I a) put only one 4-pin connector to the 8-pin connector on my motherboard, b) put both of the 4-pin connectors to the 8-pin connector on my motherboard, or c) abandon system-building for now and wait for a couple of weeks when I'm able to buy a new PSU, so as to prevent something horrible from happening? I will be getting a new PSU in a few weeks anyway but the CPU, memory, and motherboard will be arriving this week.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kasonic posted:

How low can I go on system specs if I need a PC to run Photoshop/Illustrator flawlessly?

My girlfriend needs a new PC and I'm pretty sure I don't need an i5 setup to get her working, but I don't want to get her some $200 barebones thing either.

What is she going to be doing with it, and what version is she going to run? People were using Photoshop and Illustrator on 486's at one time ;)

I'd go with at least an i3/8GB just to be safe. FWIW we moved our graphic artists from 6GB 2.4GHz C2D's to 16GB i7's at the end of last year and it's like 10 times faster.

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

"My third eye is squeegied quite cleanly."
I'm lookig for a solid external hardware device that stores passwords. Anyone have any recommendations? I recall ThinkGeek sold one a few years ago, but doesn't seem to anymore. There also seem to be a lot of options out there.

Anyone have any experience with this? I want an external device I carry in my backpack or whatever since I'm bouncing around various servers at work and a central management suite (Keepass, for example) will do me no good.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

fudyr posted:

So, I just ordered a new CPU (Intel i5 2500K), memory (2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz), and motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V LX). My old motherboard (Asus P5QL Pro) has a 4-pin ATX power connector to power the CPU. Now the new motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V LX) has an 8-pin ATX power connector. My PSU (Antec NeoHE 500W) has two 4-pin ATX power connector's.
So do I a) put only one 4-pin connector to the 8-pin connector on my motherboard, b) put both of the 4-pin connectors to the 8-pin connector on my motherboard, or c) abandon system-building for now and wait for a couple of weeks when I'm able to buy a new PSU, so as to prevent something horrible from happening? I will be getting a new PSU in a few weeks anyway but the CPU, memory, and motherboard will be arriving this week.
You connect both 4-pin connectors to the motherboard, it's split into two so you can still use the power supply with older boards that only have a single 4-pin connector, which wouldn't be possible if the board had only an 8-pin connector. It's like how the 24-pin ATX connector is usually a 20-pin and a 4-pin clipped together.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Do internal USB floppy drives exist? i.e ones that mount in a normal 3.5" bay and plug into a USB header on the motherboard.

I need to deal with floppies for work, but new motherboards generally don't have floppy connections any more. External drives will get lost/broken within a month. I'm aware of those internal floppy/memory card combo drives, but if you actually look at one only the card reader part is USB, the floppy part still has a regular 34-pin cable.

If not then how about floppy-to-USB adaptors so that I use use the dozens of drives we already have?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sweevo posted:

Do internal USB floppy drives exist? i.e ones that mount in a normal 3.5" bay and plug into a USB header on the motherboard.

I need to deal with floppies for work, but new motherboards generally don't have floppy connections any more. External drives will get lost/broken within a month. I'm aware of those internal floppy/memory card combo drives, but if you actually look at one only the card reader part is USB, the floppy part still has a regular 34-pin cable.

If not then how about floppy-to-USB adaptors so that I use use the dozens of drives we already have?

Existed at one time: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=YD-8U10-2&cat=RDM

A fairly useful thread here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/253694-10-internal-floppy-wanted-again

Basically it seems butchering a USB floppy drive is the way to go.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
For some reason, ASRock makes a Fatal1ty-branded Z77 board that breaks out a floppy connector and an IDE connector. It's an expensive fix if you weren't already parting out a system, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Factory Factory posted:

For some reason, ASRock makes a Fatal1ty-branded Z77 board that breaks out a floppy connector and an IDE connector. It's an expensive fix if you weren't already parting out a system, though.

I thought you were kidding.

(click for bigger. IDE is by the DIMM slots and the floppy drive is at the bottom)

10 SATA ports! :haw:

What gam3r would have a floppy drive and IDE HD?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

That was basically how Andandtech summed up their review of that board.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I mean, in their defence, it was relatively inexpensive to add (cost of floppy connector + PATA controller + routing PCB traces), but yes, it's still pretty :psyduck: that the gamer dude (Fatality?) insisted on including it.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Bob Morales posted:

The important thing is to have the most features and the biggest "PRIMARY RIG SPECS" sig block. Who cares what they actually do?

nolifefriendshope
Jun 11, 2012

by T. Smith
I've had this word on the tip of my tongue for the past 30 minutes. It's used to describe something that's simple and reliable in the tech world quite often. It's a highbrow term that's pretty much nothing but a buzzword. It's used to often describe Protocol or Languages or Hardware.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Robust? Elegant? Brickshithouse-esque?

nolifefriendshope
Jun 11, 2012

by T. Smith
It specifically refers to something that works on a very simple level of technology if I remember correctly.

I think I'll never remember this word.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Lear posted:

I'm lookig for a solid external hardware device that stores passwords. Anyone have any recommendations? I recall ThinkGeek sold one a few years ago, but doesn't seem to anymore. There also seem to be a lot of options out there.

Anyone have any experience with this? I want an external device I carry in my backpack or whatever since I'm bouncing around various servers at work and a central management suite (Keepass, for example) will do me no good.

A bunch of us in my office have biometric thumbdrives we use for transferring security classified data between facilities. You could store anything you wanted on that.
What functionality does a device specifically for storing passwords offer that this doesn't?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Today our wireless internet has been having problems. I have recently moved in to this flat so I'm not really sure of the background. I'm thinking it is probably conflicting with the huge number of other networks in the area as the flat is in a connected town house block thing. Do I just set the channel to a random one and hope it works better than auto or is there a better solution? Could it even be something else?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
If you have a ton of wireless networks in your area, it might be good to invest in a wireless N router and run it on the 5ghz bandwidth, dual broadcast if some of your devices can't pick it up.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Red_Fred posted:

Today our wireless internet has been having problems. I have recently moved in to this flat so I'm not really sure of the background. I'm thinking it is probably conflicting with the huge number of other networks in the area as the flat is in a connected town house block thing. Do I just set the channel to a random one and hope it works better than auto or is there a better solution? Could it even be something else?

It's always possible that "wireless network problems" could be something else, but congestion is a major problem. On the 2.4 GHz band, channels 1, 6, and 11 are the only ones worth using; they're the only ones which don't overlap with each other.

The best solution is to switch to 802.11n and the 5 GHz band. There are more channels available, not as many people use it, and it's not as good at going through walls (which sounds like it would be a downside, but also helps keep out interference from three apartments over). Unfortunately, there are some downsides: a lot of smaller or cheaper devices like phones and low-end laptops are 2.4 only (if it says "b/g/n" then you're locked to 2.4; 5 GHz-capable devices will say "a/b/g/n"), and the equipment can be expensive.

If you're running a cheap or old router, you might also see some benefit to a 2.4 GHz 802.11n router with multiple antennas. Newer models can pull some electromagnetic wizardry that steers the signal to clients by manipulating the phase of signals. Look for something that advertises "2x2" or better. Plus, of course, signal processing keeps getting better. It won't work miracles - if you can see fifty strong networks from your home, you're probably just boned short of a move to 5 GHz - but it can help in marginal situations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there some software reason why my system drive has the letter "C"? The only two drives in my system have the letters C and D respectively, does this have to do with how A always used to be the floppy drive and it's just a holdover from those days? Why are my two drives C and D instead of A and B is basically what I'm asking.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

A and B have historically been floppy drives as you noted, but there's really no reason you can't re-assign hard drives to A and B so far as I can tell. I've got mapped drives on A and B myself for the hell of it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Biggest human being Ever posted:

does this have to do with how A always used to be the floppy drive and it's just a holdover from those days?

Yes. Before computers routinely had hard drives, drives were populated A B C D etc., with most computers just having one or two floppy drives. There are some minor, not-actually-reason reasons why floppies continued to be A and B (like the fact that the floppy drive bus does absolutely no detection - you have to explicitly set what drive is connected in the BIOS, and then the existence of that drive is assumed whether it's actually connected or not), but it's basically turning coincidence into tradition for thirty or so years

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

:blush: I had both until about a week ago when I took the floppy out of the bay to give some more air flow. (This proved to be an awful idea as my CPU & GPU fans got going later that evening & blew the side wall clean off as a reminder to me to not rely on the metal tabs!)

Still have the IDE hard drive & DVD burner though. Can't be bothered to buy a new $20 drive and a $5 super-long SATA cable for the one time a year I want to burn something or read off a disc.

Why are the AMD processors so much cheaper than the Intel ones? It seems like they're relatively comparable numbers-wise in both speed & cores, but the Intels are about $100 more expensive. Am I missing some key feature?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

oldskool posted:

Why are the AMD processors so much cheaper than the Intel ones? It seems like they're relatively comparable numbers-wise in both speed & cores, but the Intels are about $100 more expensive. Am I missing some key feature?

The Intel ones are faster per clock and per core by some way, there are many articles, but it's simpler to point you to something like a benchmark comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

Oh, and don't even consider the newest AMD "FX" chips, commonly known as Bulldozer, because they're the least efficient CPUs currently on the market.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Red_Fred posted:

I use an app on my Android tablet that shows me the signal strength of all the wifi networks in range and what channels they are using. I use it to locate dead spots in my house and to make sure my network is not sharing channels with others nearby.
I think there used to be similar apps on the Apple store, but they pulled them as they were obvious filthy hacker tools. Just what I was told - I don't own any Apple product.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Does anyone have a recommendation for a DVI+USB KVM? I want to be able to switch between my desktop and Lenovo dock. A dual monitor switch would be preferable but I can get around that with input switching on one of my monitors. This IOGear one looks okay but there are a fair number of 1 & 2 star reviews which worry me a bit.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
How do I find the proper voltage and timing settings for a brand of RAM that does not appear on the Qualified Vendors List in my Asus P8P67 rev 3.1 manual? I have 2x4gb PNY sticks and am getting pretty regular random blue screens. One pass of Memtest86+ returns 84 errors with two sticks installed and no errors for each stick alone. They are in their correct ports and the system runs great until it doesn't.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

agarjogger posted:

How do I find the proper voltage and timing settings for a brand of RAM that does not appear on the Qualified Vendors List in my Asus P8P67 rev 3.1 manual? I have 2x4gb PNY sticks and am getting pretty regular random blue screens. One pass of Memtest86+ returns 84 errors with two sticks installed and no errors for each stick alone. They are in their correct ports and the system runs great until it doesn't.
Use whatever timings and speeds are printed on the sticks. Assuming they're 1.5V, you can try boosting the voltage to 1.52V-1.53V and see if that stabilizes things. QVL's aren't really that comprehensive so they're not really a useful guide for RAM sticks.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Thanks, it helped with stability for a while, but after a day or so the crashes are back. Trying to scroll while a page is still loading seems to be enough to trigger one, while I can play Battlefield while watching TV and a movie on the other two screens for hours with no trouble. Memtest now needs 2 passes instead of one to start finding errors, which does not make me feel much better at all. RAM is cheap so that's the first place I'll look into.

I may just drop one of the 4GB sticks if I need stability and pop the other one in when I need to play all my Bethesda games at the same time. Thanks for the answer!

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

agarjogger posted:

Thanks, it helped with stability for a while, but after a day or so the crashes are back. Trying to scroll while a page is still loading seems to be enough to trigger one, while I can play Battlefield while watching TV and a movie on the other two screens for hours with no trouble. Memtest now needs 2 passes instead of one to start finding errors, which does not make me feel much better at all. RAM is cheap so that's the first place I'll look into.

I may just drop one of the 4GB sticks if I need stability and pop the other one in when I need to play all my Bethesda games at the same time. Thanks for the answer!
Can you not just RMA the sticks? RAM shouldn't need to be swapped out like that, and you shouldn't have to rely on it as a "solution". If they're new or under warranty, get them replaced.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

grumperfish posted:

Can you not just RMA the sticks? RAM shouldn't need to be swapped out like that, and you shouldn't have to rely on it as a "solution". If they're new or under warranty, get them replaced.

I was thinking about trying a different brand, but RMA'ing the PNY memory is probably what I'll do. I'm kind of afraid it's the motherboard because each stick on its own passed Memtest, but just trying a new set of sticks before I dive into the rabbit hole seems like a good first step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
How does one go about adding an extra SATA HD to an existing system work?

I have the drive linked up via cable to the mobo, but beyond that I'm not sure what the hell to do. Currently I have a 150 gig HD that's full up and I need to access the cleanly wiped 500 gig I have in there as well.

Windows 7 issue BTW. Not sure if that's applicable.

• Locked thread