Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

PoptartsNinja posted:

It lets me get them back in the fight without burning slots for the next mission (which is pretty likely to only have a lance worth of `Mechs).

Also, it lets me show off some of the really terrible `Mech designs without having to field any myself, and buys the players a couple of extra turns (which is important, since everyone on the field except maybe the Cicadia is vulnerable to going down in a single turn of fire now).

And the Cicada could always lose its PPC to a single snubPPC hit, it's only protected by like 6 armor. Something I've been dreading since turn two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
How many units of armor does one mech ton equal? I'm following things like the bobcat having 1/6 rear ct armor, but in mechlab tonnage, what is 1 point vs ton?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Raw_Beef posted:

How many units of armor does one mech ton equal? I'm following things like the bobcat having 1/6 rear ct armor, but in mechlab tonnage, what is 1 point vs ton?

For standard armor, there are 16 points of protection per ton.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

For standard armor, there are 16 points of protection per ton.

Yup. Also, armor can be allocated a point at a time; it doesn't have to be in half-ton chunks in one location.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Which is why when someone gets hit by a gauss rifle in a novel or story, you often see it referred to as "losing a ton of armor in a single shot." Which isn't technically true since the gauss does 15 and a ton is 16, but it's close enough for government work.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It lets me get them back in the fight without burning slots for the next mission (which is pretty likely to only have a lance worth of `Mechs).

Also, it lets me show off some of the really terrible `Mech designs without having to field any myself, and buys the players a couple of extra turns (which is important, since everyone on the field except maybe the Cicadia is vulnerable to going down in a single turn of fire now).

I think a good scenario for a goon mech right now is to be shot and "only" lose an arm or a torso.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Caldera: Tactical Update 10
M4 Cicada
- Attempts to fire PPC at S2 Jackrabbit (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 11, hit Rear Center Torso (0/3 armor, 0/8 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 11!

I'm pretty sure that a PPC generates 10 heat, so did this 'Mech actually gain 12 heat, and you forgot the extra 1?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

berryjon posted:

I'm pretty sure that a PPC generates 10 heat

Clan PPCs actually cause twice the damage with only half the... oh, wait, I guess that joke doesn't work here.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, Goonlance got a pair of Marik-pattern Locusts (i.e. some of the worst `Mechs in the game). They each have a single ton of armor.

I understand the hate for the LCT-1M, but it's always had a soft spot in my heart. It's the epitome of the harassment mech - in L1 play, you can't beat it for that. It can outrun and outrange anything it feels like and while it won't get kills? It's great for picking at someone's exposed back and hoping for a good crit. Like the Blackjack, it's got it's place.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Tempest_56 posted:

I understand the hate for the LCT-1M, but it's always had a soft spot in my heart. It's the epitome of the harassment mech - in L1 play, you can't beat it for that. It can outrun and outrange anything it feels like and while it won't get kills? It's great for picking at someone's exposed back and hoping for a good crit. Like the Blackjack, it's got it's place.

I guess I can kind of see that, but they really just seem too fragile to play even a harrassment role. Dice are eventually just going to gently caress you over. When AC2s are a legit threat to your mech you're in trouble.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also, while Thunder LRMs weren't around in 3025, regular minelaying equipment was. Without JJs you can fence the Locust in.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
There're few `Mechs I hate, but there're several I'd never field. The -1M Locust is one of them.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

cafel posted:

I guess I can kind of see that, but they really just seem too fragile to play even a harrassment role. Dice are eventually just going to gently caress you over. When AC2s are a legit threat to your mech you're in trouble.

If I'm in a situation where my opponent has turned any amount of firepower towards the defeat of a Locust, it's almost certainly a win. The real secret to the LCT-1M is flanking. It's useless in a frontal engagement and it's gonna die there just from a shot of opportunity. From the back or the side, it's just enough of a tactical threat to be bothersome, but just as much of a victory if it soaks a turn or two of fire. Or better yet if it draws off an opposing mech entirely.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can get an FLE-4 Flea for lower BV, with better chance of survival(twice the armor!) filling the same role with more threat (it's packing a large laser) at the cost of a little speed (6/9 vs 8/12). The speed hit's big, but at a certain level of play light `Mechs really start to lose their usefulness. Except for a couple of broken Clan designs anyway.

Edit: Waiting on orders from Hammer 1, Valkyrie, and Cicada

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 11, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

Also, while Thunder LRMs weren't around in 3025, regular minelaying equipment was. Without JJs you can fence the Locust in.
Conversely, the Locust can be used to lay those minefields too. It's not the worst option out there. It can also be used to clear them later on.

Sair
May 11, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

There're few `Mechs I hate, but there're several I'd never field. The -1M Locust is one of them.

I once played against a guy using a LCT-1M. I cored it in one shot with an Urbie.

Not the best investment.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The 1M is a solid investment on a map where it can take advantage of its speed and range. If it can get the +4 modifier for movement and a +4 for long range, you are looking at a mech that is almost untouchable to your average 4 gun pilot.

It doesn't fare well against the Clans, obviously, but what does?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Did we ever make a Goonlance gang tag? I will totally host one (cause I have plat) and then wear the ever-living gently caress out it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Did we ever make a Goonlance gang tag? I will totally host one (cause I have plat) and then wear the ever-living gently caress out it.

Someone had mentioned that gang tags are no longer kosher.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Better to be in a Locust than nothing at all I guess.

Hey PTN, it seems I never gave my email address for the piloting list. Here it is.
krumbsthumbssa@gmail.com

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

Someone had mentioned that gang tags are no longer kosher.

I had heard it was just that mods weren't handing them out anymore but we can still do them ourselves.

It's working in the TGT thread.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

I had heard it was just that mods weren't handing them out anymore but we can still do them ourselves.

It's working in the TGT thread.

You probably know better than I do--I don't even know what a TGT thread is.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you don't read Tails Gets Trolled you're missing out on the most indescribable fiction I've ever read.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Better to be in a Locust than nothing at all I guess.

Hey PTN, it seems I never gave my email address for the piloting list. Here it is.
krumbsthumbssa@gmail.com

Actually, I use battle armor a lot, and have better returns and much better survivability with my troops than any locust I've fielded. The random pull tables grace me with the Wasp more often than the Locust, though. Yay? :bang:

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Plek posted:

Actually, I use battle armor a lot, and have better returns and much better survivability with my troops than any locust I've fielded. The random pull tables grace me with the Wasp more often than the Locust, though. Yay? :bang:

Battle Armor is god damned amazing depending on the terrain, especially if you are playing doubleblind. Nothing like hiding a squad of BA in a depression out of LoS only to have an enemy drop his critical fire support 'Mech in there for the partial cover. Leg attack, knock his rear end over and watch him wallow impotently in an LoS deadzone for the rest of the game :getin:

Edit VVV

Are you playing on a MekWars server that requires you to take transports with your BA? If so, whenever you pull wheeled/tracked APC's I highly advise you to just ram those suckers into enemy 'Mechs at high speed while playing Yakety Sax. It is a surprisingly effective tactic.

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 12, 2012

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Picard Day posted:

Battle Armor is god damned amazing depending on the terrain, especially if you are playing doubleblind. Nothing like hiding a squad of BA in a depression out of LoS only to have an enemy drop his critical fire support 'Mech in there for the partial cover. Leg attack, knock his rear end over and watch him wallow impotently in an LoS deadzone for the rest of the game :getin:

I am learning to love my longinus squads. I am still pretty new to the mekwars stuff, but I've managed to kill several bastard assaults hiding in trees thinking they were safe to rain arrow-IVs on me with impunity with a cav helicopter with BA onboard.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Sair posted:

I once played against a guy using a LCT-1M. I cored it in one shot with an Urbie.

If you let a Locust get caught by an Urbie, you deserve to lose. There's just no drat excuse for that unless it's a double-blind game.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Apcs are literally better than a lot of light mechs in that. Two er medium lasers, fast as all :getin: can carry ba, and can ram.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They need more BA with magnetic clamps if they're not gonna release any new Omnis.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

I would much rather see new I.S. Omnis to be honest. Generally speaking the current round of I.S. Omni-mechs are way old by now (obviously not counting the Celestials) and the number of Omni designs per faction is really skewed at the moment and could use a little balancing. If I recall correctly FWL, CC, and LA only have one Omni design each while the lions share of designs are generally associated with the DC and FS (because Victor and Hohiro apparently had some sort of horrific bromance going on. You can almost hear old Takashi spinning in his grave.)

Generally though I would rather see Magnetic clamps not appear too much, especially as Clamp bearing BA is generally a pretty signature thing for the CCAF so far.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I agree with you there. However TPTB have decided to move away from Omnis even in Clan militaries for the most part, and mag clamp technology disseminating across the Sphere is better than nothing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Picard Day posted:

I would much rather see new I.S. Omnis to be honest. Generally speaking the current round of I.S. Omni-mechs are way old by now (obviously not counting the Celestials) and the number of Omni designs per faction is really skewed at the moment and could use a little balancing. If I recall correctly FWL, CC, and LA only have one Omni design each while the lions share of designs are generally associated with the DC and FS (because Victor and Hohiro apparently had some sort of horrific bromance going on. You can almost hear old Takashi spinning in his grave.)

Generally though I would rather see Magnetic clamps not appear too much, especially as Clamp bearing BA is generally a pretty signature thing for the CCAF so far.

Omnis were found to be extremely cost-ineffecient. Great for the Clans, who only have to outfit a few thousand `Mechwarriors. Bad for the Great Houses who have to outfit several hundred thousand.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Every company of omnimechs could have been a 4 lances of standard battlemechs. Plus they complicate supply lines with the extra parts and labor involved in keeping omnipods around if your entire army isn't composed of omnimechs. Great for the clans since their little playfight rules mean mechs get refit more often than they undergo major repairs.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 12, 2012

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PoptartsNinja posted:

Omnis were found to be extremely cost-ineffecient. Great for the Clans, who only have to outfit a few thousand `Mechwarriors. Bad for the Great Houses who have to outfit several hundred thousand.
Yeah, but they could have changed their strategy and focused on producing only, say, a few hundred or thousand heavy and assault omnimechs to use in leadership roles, to spearhead lances of conventional mechs. I don't know how cost efficient it would have been to have just one or two mechs like the Templar on the field amongst a bunch of other normal models, but it might have been more efficient than what they actually did.

Of course, there is the supply line issue to consider.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Omnimechs really only make sense when there's constant low level fighting under constantly changing conditions. A wrecked omnimech is expensive to rebuild or replace as well as both expensive and time consuming to adapt salvage to fit.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Omnimechs are expensive as hell, but damned if the BHKU isn't the meanest mech in the IS arsenals.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Apcs are literally better than a lot of light mechs in that. Two er medium lasers, fast as all :getin: can carry ba, and can ram.

I love me some APCs, I have hilarious times ramming mechs now. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that hover units suck. Can't ram, and moving around forests are a death-trap at full speed.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

dis astranagant posted:

Omnimechs really only make sense when there's constant low level fighting under constantly changing conditions. A wrecked omnimech is expensive to rebuild or replace as well as both expensive and time consuming to adapt salvage to fit.

While the IS is fighting a 'total war' compared to the clanners, they are not able to marshal their industrial base like you would probably consider a 'total war' to look like if you are bringing your experince with historical total wars in as a reference point due to logistical constraints.

Really the IS is feudal knights and the clanners are playground slapfights.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Plek posted:

I love me some APCs, I have hilarious times ramming mechs now. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that hover units suck. Can't ram, and moving around forests are a death-trap at full speed.

true but you can use hovers as bait, fly one over to an artillery beacon, enemy will land on your hover so he can stomp it and it can't shoot back, fire artillery and :getin:
or if you get swarmed by ba? fly over to water, mock since the ba instantly die if they leave the hover or the hover crashes into the water.

Or... peel the ba off with artillery (your vee takes one hit from the artillery, the ba take one hit per trooper which if you plant the apc on the beacon instantly kills any ba squad but maybe not your vee)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Why does water kill battle armor? They are in suits that are designed to withstand an SRM('s near hit)! Surely a bit of water damage won't hurt them. :psyduck:

• Locked thread