Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

TOOT BOOT posted:

Whatever happened to being able to tell a nerd story in a couple pages? A lot of the old great science fiction stories are over and done with in 10 pages or less

Now everyone thinks their vision is so grand they need a thousand pages to tell it

war and peace is 1,440 pages

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin is 5016 pages and counting

if you think grrms epic is more complex or deeper than war and peace u wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I just finished a canticle for Leibowitz (which was great btw, if you ever wanted to read post-apoc scifi that doesn't seem like it was written by a violence and rape fetishizer) and it had three very distinct parts that, in the hands of a lovely writer, would've been divvied up into individual books and stuffed with horrible tedium that would have easily killed any narrative momentum that would build

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

ahhh spiders posted:

Raymond Chandler v. Science Fiction

6005 Camino de la Costa
La Jolla, California

Mar 14 1953

Dear Swanie:

Playback is getting a bit tired. I have 36,000 words of doodling and not yet a stiff. That is terrible. I am suffering from a very uncommon disease called (by me) atrophy of the inventive powers. I can write like a streak but I bore myself. That being so, I could hardly fail to bore others worse. I can't help thinking of that beautiful piece of Sid Perelman's entitled "I'm Sorry I Made Me Cry."

Did you ever read what they call Science Fiction? It's a scream. It is written like this: "I checked out with K19 on Aldabaran III, and stepped out through the crummalite hatch on my 22 Model Sirus Hardtop. I cocked the timejector in secondary and waded through the bright blue manda grass. My breath froze into pink pretzels. I flicked on the heat bars and the Brylls ran swiftly on five legs using their other two to send out crylon vibrations. The pressure was almost unbearable, but I caught the range on my wrist computer through the transparent cysicites. I pressed the trigger. The thin violet glow was icecold against the rust-colored mountains. The Brylls shrank to half an inch long and I worked fast stepping on them with the poltex. But it wasn't enough. The sudden brightness swung me around and the Fourth Moon had already risen. I had exactly four seconds to hot up the disintegrator and Google had told me it wasn't enough. He was right."

They pay brisk money for this crap?

Ray

Raymond Chandler owns so loving much

his Philip Marlow novels are some of my favorite reading, the character is such a sarcastic badass. everyone should check them out

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

fork bomb posted:

his Philip Marlow novels are some of my favorite reading, the character is such a sarcastic badass. everyone should check them out

he really was great. His hard boiled style is still effective today

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Amethyst posted:

the difference is that tron was never a respected ip. or a quality ip.
i know, that's why i called it 'beloved'

TOOT BOOT posted:

Whatever happened to being able to tell a nerd story in a couple pages? A lot of the old great science fiction stories are over and done with in 10 pages or less

Now everyone thinks their vision is so grand they need a thousand pages to tell it
one of the reasons i like forever war so much is that the whole story is told in 200 pages. basic training, several complete space battles, officer training, falling in love, losing his girlfriend, a years-long planetary siege (and an eerie battle in the stasis field), all the world-building, all the passage of time, and the big finale - and it's readable in one sitting.

if it was written today it would be four 450 page books, with lots of multi-page explanations of all the technology and a cast of dozens.

reading old fantasy (jack vance, robert howard, poul anderson, etc.) is pretty awesome. holy poo poo, a complete story in 155 page paperback and not puffed out into three 800 page giant bricks.

also: hyperion is great, fall of hyperion is fine. the two endymion books are a mess, but if you've read the first two and want to know how it all turns out, they're worth reading. just realize that they're several notches below the first two, quality wise.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 12, 2012

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

ahhh spiders posted:

put more writing in games to the detriment of gameplay and take more writing out of movies to the detriment of story (what movies try to tell)

It's possible to have good writing in games, it's just hard to find people who can do it right, because most of them seem to be trying to write movie screenplays instead. It's a completely different thing.

I just finished Bastion and the writing in it is pretty awesome. I'm doing a New Game+ and there's lots of little things in the narration that I'm picking up on now that I didn't get the first time through.

Also if you haven't played Superbrothers' Sword and Sworcery then you really need to fix that. (You have about two days left.)

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

It's possible to have good writing in games, it's just hard to find people who can do it right, because most of them seem to be trying to write movie screenplays instead. It's a completely different thing.

I just finished Bastion and the writing in it is pretty awesome. I'm doing a New Game+ and there's lots of little things in the narration that I'm picking up on now that I didn't get the first time through.

Also if you haven't played Superbrothers' Sword and Sworcery then you really need to fix that. (You have about two days left.)

counterpoint: diablo 3

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

quote:

This isn't directed at you so much, Vadim, as in general...some
days I wonder what the hell I'm doing on the nets. We busted our butts
to get year 5, same as we do every year (though moreso this year),
because it would be *the most satisfactory way to end the story*. It
*could* end in year 4, I was prepared to do that if necessary, but it
wouldn't be as satisfactory to all concerned as year 5. So now we have
year five. And right out of the woodwork come people -- such as a
particularly twit-like message forwarded to me from one of the usenet
groups -- saying that the fifth season was going to be just filler now,
that the story was over, used up, it's all tied up, there's nothing but
"dumb old personal stories." No more arc.

And I would love nothing more than to just thump them.

I sometimes wonder if they think I was walking down the street
one day, and I came across this Arc laying in the road. And it's a
finite package, and once it's used up, it's used up. People, I THOUGHT
THIS STUFF UP. You watch it, but I make it...and I'm not doing this
for my health, I didn't fight this hard to do a season of filler.
Where's the common sense here? My vested interest in making this a
solid story is a hell of a lot higher than ANY viewer could POSSIBLY
bring to the table. But again and again, not to you Vadim but in
general, it's "Oh, it's all done now, it's just filler."

Yes, I fought and bled to get a season 5 so I could do filler,
instead of going back to a network show where they'll pay me double
what I get on B5. Absolutely. That makes a LOT of sense.

I dunno...maybe I'm over-reacting...hell, I probably *am*
over-reacting, but it seems like they never let you rest. The end of
the Shadow War came, and folks said, "Oh, the arc is over now, nothing
interesting can happen now," and I said there was MORE interesting
stuff even than that coming up, and sure enough that happened, and it's
"Oh...okay," and this happens time and time again, and now we have a
fifth year, and it's "Oh, the arc is over, nothing interesting can
happen now."

jms

lol about that

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol about that

its funny because the 5th season is a waste of time

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yes, I fought and bled to get a season 5 so I could do filler,

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hey it could be worse it could be crusade

ahahahahahahaha

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

in the forever war there's a mythical planet called charon that's twice the distance from the sun as pluto, but 4 years after it was released pluto was found to have a satellite and it was named charon

really makes u think

also it's going to own so hard when new horizon rendezvous' with pluto in 3 years 1 month 2 days

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

more show creators should post on usenet

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Heresiarch posted:

the only writing video games need is a bunch of one-liners cribbed from "evil dead 2" and "they live"

and maybe something about ripping an alien's head off and making GBS threads down its neck

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

law abiding rapist posted:

more show creators should post on usenet

the best is when he writes about how he hasn't been able to figure out how to post on Internet yet

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

that awful man posted:

the only writing video games need is a bunch of one-liners cribbed from "evil dead 2" and "they live"

and maybe something about ripping an alien's head off and making GBS threads down its neck

i kind of liked how quake2 was setup, very little story, mostly in the form of objectives and poo poo
* Blow up this thing
* Hit these switches
* Blow up that thing

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Games with good writing:
-Portal
-Lucasarts adventures

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Amethyst posted:

Games with good writing:
-Portal
-Lucasarts adventures

what about infocom

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

what about infocom

I almost class interactive fiction in a different category to other games, really.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

i've never played a system shock

might one day

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Amethyst posted:

I almost class interactive fiction in a different category to other games, really.

They're in a different kind of category for me as well, cause solving word puzzles in a foreign language is a special kind of poo poo sandwich. Don't remember finishing a single Zork :(

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fork bomb posted:

good call, just found some audio books narrated by eliot gould for work :)

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

thanks for reminding me westworld existed because that film is cool

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
so uh

all you dudes who went to see the new Snow White movie, in opening week, at the theatres

were you guys on dates with girls, or

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
prometheus looked cool and the idea was good but gently caress me if there weren't plot holes the size and stupidity level of queensland all over it

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Vivec posted:

I watched prometheus and holy gently caress ridley scott what the hell?????

everything ridley scott did was great though.... :confused:

the only problem i had was with what Damon Lindelof was responsible for

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

bastion was really good and the narration is too

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Heresiarch posted:

yeah i agree, especially with the part where it always seems like they want to make a movie, instead of a game. they want to show you their little story and sacrifice player agency nonstop to do it. it blows

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ahhh spiders posted:

yeah i agree, especially with the part where it always seems like they want to make a movie, instead of a game. they want to show you their little story and sacrifice player agency nonstop to do it. it blows

i like how portal 1 didn't restrict you that much and portal 2 didn't except for a few parts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
portal 2 was way 2 easy

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Shaggar posted:

portal 2 was way 2 easy

Shaggar was right :staredog:

toby
Dec 4, 2002

that's twice in one day

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

toby posted:

that's twice in one day

broken clocks, etc

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Amethyst posted:

Games with good writing:
-Portal
-Lucasarts adventures
-Marathon

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Shaggar posted:

portal 2 was way 2 easy

wouldnt want to blow contard minds now

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Amethyst posted:

Games with good writing:
-Portal
-Lucasarts adventures

Star Control II

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

The only good writing in the Halo games are the bits they basically recycled from the Marathon storylines. There's this whole backstory thing told through semi-hidden terminals in Halo 3 that involves the Flood, ancient Forerunner AIs going rogue, etc, that's far more interesting and original than anything you see in the actual games.

You can find a Flash version of them here. I wonder who at Bungie was responsible for them because I wish they'd had more effect on the actual games.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Heresiarch posted:

The only good writing in the Halo games are the bits they basically recycled from the Marathon storylines.

I wonder who at Bungie was responsible for them

these guys may have been involved

quote:

In the Marathon manual Greg Kirkpatrick and Colin Brent are credited for the Story but in the game itself only Greg Kirkpatrick is credited. I had the opportunity some time ago to ask Greg (GK) why Colin Brent was credited in the manual but not in the game:
HS: In the Marathon manual Colin Brent and yourself are credited for the story but in the game itself the credit screen has only you. Was there a reason for this and how much did Colin contribute to the story?
GK: Colin Brent came up with the Marathon premise: a colony ship travels to a new planet. I think the name "Marathon" was his addition as well, but I'm not sure.

What happened to Colin Brent in those early days of Marathon development? Well according to Jason Jones:

"...he had better things to do, like get married, move to the east coast and go to grad school"
The Marathon Scrapbook provides additional information from early 1994:

In February, Greg Kirkpatrick joined the Bungie team. Greg had beta-tested Pathways Into Darkness after befriending Jason at school. Several months earlier Jason had declared that if Marathon was going to have a story, Greg would have to write it.
In Marathon 2 both Jason Jones and Greg Kirkpatrick are credited for writing the Story both in the manual and in the game itself.

The Marathon Infinity scenario "Blood Tides of Lh'owon" was created by Greg Kirkpatrick's game company Double Aught. While no one is explicitly credited for the story Chris Geisel, Greg Kirkpatrick, and Randy Reddig are credited for the scenario.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

portal 2 was way 2 easy

i remember being way more "stumped" in P1. maybe i was too used to the mechanics by now though

except the portal 2 level where you have to move the goo through the anti-grav beam thing had me baffled for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
portal 1 owned becuase it was like "hey if i abused this mechanic i can probably beat this level way faster" vs portal 2's "well i could abuse this mechanic but instead i'll just walk down the hall to the next scripted event"

• Locked thread