Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Herobotic posted:

Since the big PS+ update, I'm finally getting around to Just Cause 2 and Infamous 2. I've just started JC2, and good god, why didn't I play this game before? It's way too fun.

JC2 is fun at first but there's not much to it once you stop coming up with ideas for dumb stuff to do. So if it starts feeling repetitive don't feel obligated to keep trucking through the story or anything in case something interesting happens. It's not that kind of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Anything I should know about VtM:Redemption? I hate the mousing controls of these games, but I want to see the story.
Use the Wesp patch, even if it's your first playthrough.

Malkavian / Nosferatu should be reserved for your second+ playthrough. Toreador works well, Celerity is a good power.

There's a wounded guy you can help early on. Do so, he has a bunch of useful stuff later on.

Persuasion is probably the best Charisma power, threatening and seduction are pretty much worthless.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Use the Wesp patch, even if it's your first playthrough.

Malkavian / Nosferatu should be reserved for your second+ playthrough. Toreador works well, Celerity is a good power.

There's a wounded guy you can help early on. Do so, he has a bunch of useful stuff later on.

Persuasion is probably the best Charisma power, threatening and seduction are pretty much worthless.

Redemption is not Bloodlines.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Anything I should know about VtM:Redemption? I hate the mousing controls of these games, but I want to see the story.
Celerity is still awesome. Somewhere near the half(?) of the game you'll get a sword that sucks HP, it'll become your new best friend for the rest of the game. Also, Protean(?) if you can take it, claws are good in the beginning. I can't recommend endgame weapons without spoiling anything, so go with "there's no such thing like overkill".

If you're magically oriented, go with the path of fire. Or the optional path of darkness(?) book that you can get in a fairly obvious location.

And keep your Humanity reasonably high. Some dialogue options only affect humanity. Ending mechanic: There are 3 endings and if it's too low or too high (you can still lower it quite easily) you don't get to choose the good or evil ending, respectively.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 10, 2012

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

One of the spell sets has a freeze your enemy in ice spell. When they are frozen in ice you can pound on them. I highly recommend this particular spell because there are on or two really really difficult fights in the game and with it you can just freeze and pound the enemy into submission. You won't use it the majority of the time because its boring as gently caress but yeah, better have it as an option because gently caress one fight in particular.

Gamefaqs has it as "prison of ice" and supposedly it is a "blood ritual" whatever the gently caress that is.

Anyway enjoy the clunky underappreciated rpg. I really enjoyed it despite its flaws.

edit, I also kind of want to go find my discs now because it was actually a pretty interesting game.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 11, 2012

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

If a guy dies you have three turns to resurrect him before he's dead for good

3 of the DEAD CHARACTER'S turns, mind you. That's not usually a problem unless the class has a naturally high speed compared to others or you've buffed his speed via skills or equip for the same purpose, thus getting multiple moves to other people's 1 or 2 and thus dying in a blink.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bloodly posted:

3 of the DEAD CHARACTER'S turns, mind you. That's not usually a problem unless the class has a naturally high speed compared to others or you've buffed his speed via skills or equip for the same purpose, thus getting multiple moves to other people's 1 or 2 and thus dying in a blink.

I've had this exact situation happen a couple of times with a thief/ninja, though not until well into the game. In playing through the game 3.5 times, I can remember only once starting a battle over because I lost a character.

If you have someone die in the first couple of battles, it isn't really the end of the world, as they're pretty replaceable that early on.

Sometimes it's worth it to scrap a character and recruit a new one after the first battle if you have a lot of characters with poor stats/brave/faith.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MockingQuantum posted:

Sometimes it's worth it to scrap a character and recruit a new one after the first battle if you have a lot of characters with poor stats/brave/faith.
Make sure to sell their gear before you recruit the new one, or you'll quickly run out of money.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The stuff on beforeiplay for Persona 4 is pretty thorough, but I'd like to add these tidbits:

-Chie doesn't learn any ice spells after Bufula, as she is a physical fighter first and foremost. If you want someone with harder hitting ice spells, switch her out for Teddie.

-Death is one of those annoying S. Links that can only be done on special days, like Sundays and Holidays. I didn't know this so I started it late and almost hosed it up. As soon as you get your Diligence up to 3, start the Janitor part-time job and work on the Devil link. When it reaches level 4, you can start Death (look in the riverbank). It's not that Death is that great or anything, it's just that it will make scheduling easier if you have it started sooner.

-If you're at a point in a S. Link where you can't level it up (as in, you don't have enough affection points to start the next event), it may be a better idea to hold off and wait until you can have lunch with that person. I didn't take advantage of spreading out lunches throughout the game and I wish I had. However the last lunch event is 11/1, so keep that in mind.

-Sun is one of the only normal daytime S. Links that can be done on rainy days.

-Emperor and Fortune's S. Links do not start automatically! You have to initiate them through events, unlike the rest of your party.

-If you're trying to max out your party's S. Links, try to do all of them before the end of November. You can still max them in December, but it's a little annoying to do so. On the other hand, non-party S. Links can continue on like normal in December so feel free to save a few for that month.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 11, 2012

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Sentient Toaster posted:

I too would like some tips for Valkyria Chronicles 2. I have no idea how much benefit I'm getting from leveling up classes, but I've noticed the APC is an amazingly easy way to end a lot of missions on the first turn.
A few notes on VC2, which I thoroughly enjoyed despite being a god drat high school anime.

- A Fencer is an absolute necessity for most of the maingame and is by far the most effective way of taking out bosses, especially as said bosses' counters will without exception oneshot anyone who attacks them. The tank/APC also works, but you generally want at least two units going at a boss to keep him turning back and forth, or they'll just dodge most of your attacks.
- If you feel like min/maxing, go check a guide, find out who learns the "Max vs. Personnel/Armor" potentials, and just use them - once they learn those, their attack power completely overshadows everyone else's at all times.
- Flamethrowers instantly destroy bunkers, turrets and towers. The usefulness of this cannot be overstated. Shocktroopers and the Tank/APC can carry them.
- Speaking of which, the Utility APC with the Flamethrower turret is fantastically good. APC rushes can one-turn nearly every "capture base camp" or "defeat boss" mission. It's up against Light Tank B with a Captured Turret, which has obscene accuracy and damage, but can't carry units or all the useful mods - most of the time I stick with the APC.
- Snipers are best used to pop out of a base camp, pick off a target, and return. Don't underestimate them.
- Make a Gunner a commander (once you get an extra) and leave them in your base camp every mission. You'll get the extra CP and they'll annihilate anything that gets close.
- Mortars are useless.
- Anthem Corps are surprisingly useful.
- Regular Techs are useless.
- Entering in the codes for extra content will get you some very good units and a couple decent weapons for techs.

theshim fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 11, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
One other thing for Valkyria Chronicles 2; it's obvious once you get a while into the game, but you'll start getting extra scenes with the characters you use in battles. All the secondary characters have some kind of side story, culminating in a mission, that in order to unlock you need to use those individual characters to do stuff in battle; killing enemies, capturing bases, and so on move them along onto the next possible scene, you can't just put them in your squad and wait for it to happen. Worth doing because a) it usually replaces a poo poo potential they have with a good one (or a non-terrible one, anyway) b) in a couple of cases you can get a new character out of it, and c) the character missions include Aces.

Speaking of, the first time you kill an Ace they'll drop a schematic; subsequently they have a chance of dropping a single enemy weapon for you to use, which range from godawful to game-breaking (some of the turrets you can get, especially, make the APC even more fantastic).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

General beforeiplay related question: if you've just finished a fairly common/popular game and feel like you can add some useful beginner tips that aren't on the wiki, is it acceptable to just post said tips here, even without being solicited?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Expected and encouraged! How can a first timer know if such tips exist without playing? Such is the wonder of this thread!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

General beforeiplay related question: if you've just finished a fairly common/popular game and feel like you can add some useful beginner tips that aren't on the wiki, is it acceptable to just post said tips here, even without being solicited?

Of course! As long as they're formatted similar to the tips on the wiki, they'll almost definitely get added to a page on there, by me.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Any tips for a newbie to Crusader Kings 2?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

PrinnySquadron posted:

Any tips for a newbie to Crusader Kings 2?

Have you played Europa III or any of the other Paradox strategy games? If so, you will have an easier grasp of CK2. The crux of the game isn't warfare like most strategy games, and with that said, the best advice I have read for this game is not to save scum. Ride the wave of awful luck as it's pretty entertaining.

Your council members should reflect their appropriate stat before you consider picking new members.

Use the Intrigue menu to find new council members. Here you can add nobles or holy men into your court. It may take a little while to find someone suitable to replace any seats.

Feasting helps build relationships but it costs money. Don't be cheap when you're hosting a festival.

Hunting is a mix bag that effects your prestige, piety, relationships, and stat bonuses. The RNG here is something you should be wary of, nonetheless it is still entertaining to send your bishop out to hunt a boar only to have them maimed, become bed-ridden, and go crazy.

You can improve relationships once with gold and with titles. Outside your court it's a little trickier. Arranging deals, betrothal, marriages, and sending your Stewart out to brag helps.

Never be afraid of pissing someone off within your own court. They will almost always do anything you ask of them regardless of their opinion of you.

Be cautious when selecting a mate, make sure they can have children, are of health, age, and house status; unless you are desperate.

Your wife will have children at random. You can improve the odds with the fertile modifier.

You need someone to take care of your children, assign them to someone who has high overall stats and bemindful of their religion as they can convert your children and you'll have a mini infidel running around pissing off the Catholics. You will get prompts that will determine your child's future and the caretaker will at times help alter the negative ones back to normal, or in some cases, ruin your child.

Don't forget to build improvements within your city. Levis and Taxes are important and this helps boost overall quality of life.

The Researchable trees themselves are slow going, if you focus on one aspect for too long you will begin having diminishing returns. Alternatively if you have fallen behind the current trend, you will gain bonuses in its research.

There's a ton more I'm forgetting. I'll try to add more later.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 11, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Does The Darkness II work better with a controller or mouse and keyboard? Normally I'd always go M/KB on an FPS but the darkness arms seem to make much more sense with the four trigger setup of a 360 controller.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Does The Darkness II work better with a controller or mouse and keyboard? Normally I'd always go M/KB on an FPS but the darkness arms seem to make much more sense with the four trigger setup of a 360 controller.

I usually prefer M/KB, but I liked the game with a 360 controller more than M/KB in this instance.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

My Lovely Horse posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics
Something the wiki doesn't emphasize much: more advanced classes are in no way straight-up better than the lower ones. Squire is kinda bad, yeah, but a lot of the time you'll want a knight or a monk rather than a dragoon or a geomancer. You're past chapter 1 so this may not be as applicable, but chemists are much better than they first appear, especially since MP is so limited early on and potions have no cast time. Being able to heal someone instantly can be very useful, and the auto-potion reaction ability is godlike.

I'm looking for some tips on Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. I've played all the others in the series, but I only got about halfway through Path of Radiance, and there are some pretty key differences between those and the earlier games. I started up Radiant Dawn and proceeded to get absolutely destroyed within the first couple of chapters, and all my units just feel very fragile. Any advice?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm looking for some tips on Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. I've played all the others in the series, but I only got about halfway through Path of Radiance, and there are some pretty key differences between those and the earlier games. I started up Radiant Dawn and proceeded to get absolutely destroyed within the first couple of chapters, and all my units just feel very fragile. Any advice?

First off, because of localization stupidity, normal in RD is actually hard. Consider playing on easy, although keep in mind the beginning is the hardest part of the game, and so you may not find the rest challenging enough on easy.

Most of the Dawn Brigade sucks. Nolan and Zihark are great, Edward and Jill will be great with some effort (Jill without effort if you have transfer bonuses for her), Aran is solid and pretty much everyone else sucks or is a crutch character.

What you really want to do is start a support between Zihark and Nolan as soon as possible, earth affinity gives an evade boost, and so at an A rank they give each other +45 evade.

If you aren't far enough for this to be relevant, then all I can suggest is to persevere, and don't be afraid to lean on your crutches. Sothe is really useful, and can be used to soften up enemies, or to tank them (unequip his weapons and everyone will attack him over anyone else). He'll become worse at this as time goes, but you'll get better crutches to replace him.

Outside of Dawn Brigade stuff, it's crucial to understand BEXP abuse. BEXP will always give a character 3 stats when they level with it, and so if a character has already capped some stats, they can have much higher odds of getting a stat they have a poor growth in. Nephenee does this fantastic, as she hits her Skill and Speed and probably Res caps really early, letting you pump BEXP into her to boost all her other stats to crazy levels.

Skill wise, Wrath and Resolve is a winning combo. Resolve not only makes Wrath way more effective, but reduces your chances of dying while Wrath is active. It also has a typo in its description, Resolve activates at below 50% health, not 20.

Late in the game, plot will tell you to equip your best weapons. This isn't just plot, do this in-game too or suffer the consequences.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 12, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Mr E posted:

I usually prefer M/KB, but I liked the game with a 360 controller more than M/KB in this instance.

Okay, thanks. One last Q, there's a Downloadable Content option in the main menu but nothing in the Steam store. Is that something that just hasn't been used yet, or is it them being lazy and not porting DLC from consoles to PC?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If you're playing on easy the first part will be about as hard as a normal FE game and everything after will be a total snore. Remember you can save and reload mid-fight so take advantage of that to trial and error through some of the really tough maps.

Don't be afraid to use crutch characters as much as you need to in the first section. There are a few reasons for this:
It's by far the hardest part of the game.
There's plenty of exp to go around in later chapters.
Most of the characters you have access to in that part will be replaced anyway, and other than the wolf-guy the crutch characters are actually pretty good.

Don't bother using non-royal laguz. Human units become better than morphed non-royals later in the game. The royal laguz are pretty great though.

Haar is an absolutely amazing unit.

The Greil Mercenaries are pretty much all good choices for their classes.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Okay, thanks. One last Q, there's a Downloadable Content option in the main menu but nothing in the Steam store. Is that something that just hasn't been used yet, or is it them being lazy and not porting DLC from consoles to PC?

I'm not sure about that, I haven't played the game since release, but I'd assume it wasn't used yet.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cake Attack hit most of the important stuff.

- Normal is indeed Hard, and Hard is Maniac. For a first run, go with Normal (Easy).
- BEXP abuse is enough to turn anyone into a god unit, so you really can get away with whoever you want (though I would strongly caution against using Leonardo, Meg or Fiona, as BEXP is the only thing saving them from being complete crap). Don't give units a level with BEXP if they don't have at minimum one stat capped! It's a waste, they'll average better on a normal level, often even with one capped. Once you hit two capped stats, especially on lopsided units, is a good time to sink BEXP. You can also use it to pump a unit up to 99 exp if you want them to level sooner but don't want to waste the stat gains.
- The game will switch around which groups you get to use (very annoying). If you want to have the army in Part 3 get some goodies from Part 1, give them to Ilyana in the final chapter, she's the earliest unit you'll see then.
- Thunder magic is terrible now, compared to PoR.
- Earth pairs are even more stupidly broken now that anyone can support anyone.
- You can remove skills like in PoR, but in this case it gives you them and you can assign them back to people. Units who have skills innately won't use any capacity on them, but this means you can pass Paragon and Blossom around, for example. This allows for fairly awesome combinations much more easily and rocks.
- Haar can solo half of the second chapter you get to use him for. He is that good.
- Laguz work differently now - instead of having solid stats and getting a boost when transformed, they now have terrible stats that double when they transform (except Luck and HP). This makes them harder to work with (though you can now control when they shift and can shift back whenever you want) and on the whole they aren't really worth it, especially as you get a bunch of the royals at the end of the game who are stupidly awesome.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Herobotic posted:

Since the big PS+ update, I'm finally getting around to Just Cause 2 and Infamous 2. I've just started JC2, and good god, why didn't I play this game before? It's way too fun.

You need to learn how to slingshot yourself around in Just Cause 2. Jump, grapple the ground, and activate your parachute as your grappling. It's like gliding, and it's amazing.

For Fallout 3, if your game freezes and crashes it's normal. It's not your XBox breaking.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Count Chocula posted:

You need to learn how to slingshot yourself around in Just Cause 2. Jump, grapple the ground, and activate your parachute as your grappling. It's like gliding, and it's amazing.

For Fallout 3, if your game freezes and crashes it's normal. It's not your XBox breaking.

If they're using PS+, I'm pretty sure their Xbox breaking isn't something they need to worry about. :v:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
That was just a general tip to save people the freakout I had yesterday.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Just starting Etrian Odyssey 3 and had a question:

Do the generic "raise hp / rise tp" skills raise the hp/tp a significant enough amount to warrant taking, or would I just be weakening characters by spending points on those when I could be leveling skills.

I've played the other Etrian Odyssey games and really liked them, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember even being able to put points directly into hp/tp before. (My memory might be really off on that though).

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

LibbyM posted:

Do the generic "raise hp / rise tp" skills raise the hp/tp a significant enough amount to warrant taking, or would I just be weakening characters by spending points on those when I could be leveling skills.

I've played the other Etrian Odyssey games and really liked them, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember even being able to put points directly into hp/tp before. (My memory might be really off on that though).

The first skill point for both has the largest gain, +10% hp/tp I believe? They're both pretty much all or 1 point skills, since points 2-5 or so have really small gains. As far as neutral skills go, combat study is pretty important if you ever want to change your party, since it works on people in storage so you can create dudes and they'll level up at half the rate of people you're actually using.

The game also has some easy character building traps you can fall in to, the only one I can remember (and is easily the most egregious) is that mastery skills are completely worthless outside of serving as prerequisites for other skills. For example, shield mastery on hoplites has a really similar tooltip to the skill at the top of the skill list but is something like 1/5th as effective.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

LibbyM posted:

HP Up and TP Up were in the previous games, and they weren't very good there, either. You can take them, but you generally have better things to spend your points on.

It's a good idea to have a party of five farmers waiting in the wings with maxed out combat study as your gathering workhorses; they get a lot of nice utility skills that make sending them out into stratums they have no business being in safer, like random encounter rate reduction and a skill that sends you instantly back to town.

When in doubt, raise the top skill on your skill list; it's a class's main skill, and it's almost universally very, very good. Warriors, Wildlings, and Monks get simple but very effective boosts, and other classes like Prince/ss and Arbalest get situational but still very powerful skills.

This is also just personal experience, but I like a defensive party in EO3 more than in the first two games. Hoplites are very useful, and both Prince/ss and Monk are passable frontline fighters and don't die when something looks at them funny like the Medic did in EO1 and EO2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm playing through Twin Snakes before I go through the MGS:HS collection. Anything I should know? I played up to Sniper Wolf once before.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If they're using PS+, I'm pretty sure their Xbox breaking isn't something they need to worry about. :v:

In that case, if your PS crashes and sets itself on fire while playing Fallout 3, that is also normal. I have never played a buggier game than Fallout 3 on the PS3.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm playing through Twin Snakes before I go through the MGS:HS collection. Anything I should know? I played up to Sniper Wolf once before.

If you really really fall for the series try and play the original MGS. It's probably too dated and clunky to get into thesedays but it shows that Twin Snakes is a very strange case of being a re-imagining rather than a straight up remake. I've often heard it said that Metal Gear Solid is what actually happened whilst Twin Snakes is the way Snake would tell the story to his Grandkids and if you've played both games you'll understand that sentiment.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The wiki covers most of the major stuff. If you're at all interested in some of the background story, like all other games with the exception of 4, calling people on the codec in each new area, during boss battles, immediately after big story events will flesh some things out, though I don't think there's anything that's as funny as some of the moments in 2, and the codec in 3 is flat out the best by far.

In the PS version, you can dodge Ocelot's bullets by staring at him head on in 1st person view and alternating your right/left lean when he fires, it's an easy way to beat it without losing any health, and I think they kept this for TS.

If you have any GC games like Zelda or Smash Bros. on your memory card, Mantis will talk to you about it.

The dogs will leave you alone in the cave if you equip the handkerchief, or if you get a dog to pee on a box and then keep it equipped. In general don't underestimate how useful the box can be.

You can cheat the second sniper battle by using the nikita.

The body armor in the blast furnace will make the upcoming sections and boss fights much easier. Don't miss it.

If you can't find the PAL key, don't worry, sometimes a rat eats it, someone will call you to confirm this. You then need to go rat hunting.

The nice thing about TS, is it saves you the back tracking of freezing/warming the key. Instead of running all the way back to the blast furnace and the warehouse, head to the isolated ledge to the far right just below the top level of catwalks in the Rex bunker. Drop-catch down and shoot the pipes for hot/cold.

theshim
May 1, 2012

LibbyM posted:

HP up is useful (TP up less so) but you really want the points in more useful things early on. On full builds you may find yourself with extra points, and the extra HP never hurts, but don't sink your points there in the beginning.

On another note: it just came out, but anyone know anything useful for Gungnir?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Mayor McCheese posted:

Have you played Europa III or any of the other Paradox strategy games? If so, you will have an easier grasp of CK2. The crux of the game isn't warfare like most strategy games, and with that said, the best advice I have read for this game is not to save scum. Ride the wave of awful luck as it's pretty entertaining.

Cheers!. I played Europa III a while ago, but was never much good at it. Whats a good country to start as?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Thanks for the advice re hp/tp skills in Etrian Odyssey 3.

One of the first things I did after looking at the skills was actually make 5 farmers and put there 3 starting points into combat study. They totally seem like the good old 5 survivalist party.

When in doubt, raise the top skill on your skill list; it's a class's main skill, and it's almost universally very, very good. Warriors, Wildlings, and Monks get simple but very effective boosts, and other classes like Prince/ss and Arbalest get situational but still very powerful skills.

I was thinking of making my zodiac have one level in fire/ice/volt mastery and then one level in all the single target elemental attacks. And then just maxing ether mastery.

Along these lines, you say the first skill is almost universally good, and Count Uvula mentions how shield mastery does way less than the first Hoplite skill, is that the same idea for the elemental masteries on Zodiac. Do they do way less damage increase than the generic ether mastery?

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 12, 2012

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Double post, ment to edit last one.

theshim
May 1, 2012

LibbyM posted:

I was thinking of making my zodiac have one level in fire/ice/volt mastery and then one level in all the single target elemental attacks. And then just maxing ether mastery.

Along these lines, you say the first skill is almost universally good, and Count Uvula mentions how shield mastery does way less than the first Hoplite skill, is that the same idea for the elemental masteries on Zodiac. Do they do way less damage increase than the generic ether mastery?
This is the better way to build a Zodiac. The most important skill for them, though, is Singularity, which makes hits that strike weaknesses do a ton more damage. Since virtually everything in the game has at least one weakness, figuring them out makes your Zodiac do a hell of a lot more damage and can be exploited in a number of cases.

Once you get into subclassing everything changes, but that's quite a ways off.

This is the most useful resource for EO3 by far. In addition to being very useful for planning out builds, the skill simulator also tells you the numbers behind each skill, which is priceless for figuring out when points are useful or wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
What of Ground Control?