Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Christmas posted:

I have this image of Michelle Bachmann happening on the Matthew Shepherd murder. As they're hanging him on the fence, she screams, "Stop squirming! You're violating their freedom of religion!"

I'm almost positive there's a political cartoon out there that's almost this exact thing. I can't remember where I saw it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I don't mean to turn the thread into 24/7 liberal logic, but this one was too good to pass up.

The point here is completely unknown to me. Obama inflicted gays on the military, treating them as his personal guinea pigs, and that same military then tracked down and killed bin laden, proving...? Honestly, can anyone help me out here? What the hell are they trying to communicate by linking an issue they hate with what can only be described as a resounding success?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

JohnClark posted:

I don't mean to turn the thread into 24/7 liberal logic, but this one was too good to pass up.

The point here is completely unknown to me. Obama inflicted gays on the military, treating them as his personal guinea pigs, and that same military then tracked down and killed bin laden, proving...? Honestly, can anyone help me out here? What the hell are they trying to communicate by linking an issue they hate with what can only be described as a resounding success?

Barack Obama does obviously bad thing to the military (presumably because he hates them or something) but takes credit when they do something that is obviously good. They're saying he's a hypocrite because he does bad things to them but takes the credit when they do good things for him.

edit: Of course I don't think that ending DADT was a bad thing, I meant from the point of view of crazy ring-wingers it was a bad thing.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

JohnClark posted:

That gays in the military helped kill Bin Laden?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Military members hatred for gays and rage at Obama gave them the drive required to kill Bin Laden.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

JohnClark posted:

Also, 'social experiment'. Because the US is literally the first country ever to dare letting dem gays in the army.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Fishstick posted:

Also, 'social experiment'. Because the US is literally the first country ever to dare letting dem gays in the army.

They would scoff at most of those countries (We single-handedly turned the tide of World War 2, remember?), but not at Israel. I'd like to see them respond to the fact that military service is mandatory for them.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Fishstick posted:

More than that, the United States Army had a racial non-segregation policy before the actual United States did. It was much more a guinea pig for that concept than the current one is for sexual integration, given we're so far behind Europe in that regard (and Denmark hasn't yet been destroyed in a shower of brimstone). Laughably easy to draw parallels, given that most of the arguments against are the same as racist ones when a find/replace filter is applied.

Is the liberal-logic site a crowd-sourced affair? If so, someone upload one about Eisenhower, Truman and their crazy ethnic integration experiment.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Or how about the simple fact that homosexuals were already there. All DADT repeal did was say that they could admit it, and not get fired. Dudes who dig other dudes had already been fighting along side dudes who dig chicks for decades. Hell, who am I kidding, there have been gays in the US Armed Forces since the Revolution.

swarthmeister posted:

Is the liberal-logic site a crowd-sourced affair? If so, someone upload one about Eisenhower, Truman and their crazy ethnic integration experiment.

I think its actually just some guy who makes them. I don't think they are submitted... Photoshop Phriday idea?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
The thing that always gets me is how some conservatives can on the one hand act like every American soldier is a Perfect Hero who should be worshiped by all, and on the other hand say that those soldiers can't handle working with a gay guy, something that your average burger-flipper already manages to do okay, much less all the other countries that have tried it with their armed forces. But if there's one thing people never seem to get tired of, it's being wrong about gays.

And there's also the thing that Obama did apparently give the order to go in when everyone else thought it wouldn't turn up anything.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Guilty Spork posted:

The thing that always gets me is how some conservatives can on the one hand act like every American soldier is a Perfect Hero who should be worshiped by all, and on the other hand say that those soldiers can't handle working with a gay guy, something that your average burger-flipper already manages to do okay...

Well, you see, if the soldiers are all Perfect American Heroes, then they would be RIGHTLY DISGUSTED by the SATANIC AND SINFUL gaaaaaaaaaaaaay and refuse to serve, AS THEY SHOULD, because the gaaaaaaaaaaay is the greatest threat to America.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Guilty Spork posted:

But if there's one thing people never seem to get tired of, it's being wrong about gays.
Many anti-gay bigots I've spoken to quite literally believed gay people would rape them if given the opportunity. Thinking about it from this perspective you can see why they would imagine the situation being difficult to cope with.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I wish I had self esteem that high, to think that there are thousands of people who want to rape me.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It's the same reason why they slut shame, there's a base assumption that men can't (and shouldn't have to) control their sexual urges, so without a woman in the equation to keep everything on lock gay men obviously are just loving 24/7.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What worries me is that they're simply projecting and that they assume that gays would rape men if given the opportunity because they themselves would (or do) rape women if they had the opportunity.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What worries me is that they're simply projecting and that they assume that gays would rape men if given the opportunity because they themselves would (or do) rape women if they had the opportunity.

Given what we've seen from hardcore anti-gay bigots, what makes you think they'd rape women?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You're probably right about this; I recall a lot of people saying that God's wrath is the only reason they follow any kind of morality. Were it not for God they probably would rape anything they liked the look of, because God is the only morality, and atheism is just another word for Satanism.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Bobby Digital posted:

Given what we've seen from hardcore anti-gay bigots, what makes you think they'd rape women?

As others have said, they literally believe that men cannot control their own sexual desires and need to marry early to save themselves from 'sinful' acts. And they see woman as submissive to men, so who cares what they think? And they dress like sluts so should be treated like sluts! And... and!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I knew I should have bolded the word "women" :negative:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The same people tend to be the ones who claim atheists have no source of morality and are therefore dangerous/evil. Which of course implies that without some god telling them what to do and threatening them with eternal damnation, these people would be stealing, raping, and murdering their way through life. It is quite disturbing when you think about it.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, you see, if the soldiers are all Perfect American Heroes, then they would be RIGHTLY DISGUSTED by the SATANIC AND SINFUL gaaaaaaaaaaaaay and refuse to serve, AS THEY SHOULD, because the gaaaaaaaaaaay is the greatest threat to America.

The "my country right or wrong" crowd was awfully quick to jump onto "gays? That tears it, despite our family's 10-generation heritage of military service, none of us are ever enlisting again!"

I'm standing by for a decade of armchair commandos in bars spouting: "I was totally going to join the NAVY and be a SEAL... but y'know, gays. So that's why I sling burgers."

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:

darthbob88 posted:

You're probably right about this; I recall a lot of people saying that God's wrath is the only reason they follow any kind of morality. Were it not for God they probably would rape anything they liked the look of, because God is the only morality, and atheism is just another word for Satanism.

Choadmaster posted:

The same people tend to be the ones who claim atheists have no source of morality and are therefore dangerous/evil. Which of course implies that without some god telling them what to do and threatening them with eternal damnation, these people would be stealing, raping, and murdering their way through life. It is quite disturbing when you think about it.
There is a difference between what people "believe they believe," and what they actually believe. While theists do say that sort of things when debating atheistic morality, it doesn't actually mean they would murder and rape if they could somehow be convinced that God doesn't exist. They have moral principles which they've always rationalized as divine commands, so they start believing that those principles are caused by the divine commands. But that doesn't make it true.

Turing sex machine fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 10, 2012

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Choadmaster posted:

In some cases they will literally come out and say that. There was an episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit where they interviewed a Christian minister who just outright said, "Without God I have no reason to not murder you right now." (Personally, even setting aside all of the moral reasons to not murder people, I'd prefer to not be in prison for the next several decades.)

Turing sex machine posted:

There is a difference between what people "believe they believe," and what they actually believe. While theists do say that sort of things when debating atheistic morality, it doesn't actually mean they would murder and rape if they could somehow be convinced that God doesn't exist. They have moral principles which they've always rationalized as divine commands, so they start believing that those principles are caused by the divine commands. But that doesn't make it true.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to actually do it, but I'd hope people would have at least the self-awareness not to imply that they would.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

DoctorWhat posted:

"No true soldier..."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ooh! Ooh! I got one. A friend who is growing more and more distant and weird every day replied to some post from a page called Angry White Guy Blog. Look at this turd. Just look at it (my bold)

Entitled Racist Moron posted:

Two Black girl murder White women for just delivering a pizza they ordered in Georgia ... will it be called racially motivated? Will it be a hate crime? Will Jesse and Al condemn their actions? Will the American media report it (this story is from a UK paper) - if you said No, no, no and no you'd be right.

Horror as two teenage girls 'stab female pizza delivery worker 50 times in deadly knife rampage'
Look at the pictures on that link. Specifically the bottom left. Or, you know, the direct link to the Fox News report on the topic.

A few of the comments:

quote:

What the .... I feel as if the unrest lies squarely on our leadership.

quote:

Where's Sharpton?? I wonder if Obama will call the fiance and 4 year old that was left behind and give his condolences???? probably not.... RIP to the young lady

quote:

Maybe Whoopi will discuss it on the View!!! NOT!

quote:

Lovely. Here's this young woman, who is out working, not sitting on her rear end collecting a check and using a link card and look what happens to her. what a drat shame.

quote:

Why is the Trayvon Martin story all over the media and this is reported in the UK? It's becoming painfully obvious.

Keep in mind that, according to the report they have cited (not that they bothered reading it beyond the title before getting into full outrage mode), the police immediately started a manhunt after the suspected killers, which are now in custody pending at the very least a murder charge. I point all of that out, and how it critically contrasts with the Trayvon Martin case, only to end up getting called a troll for my trouble.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Keep in mind that, according to the report they have cited (not that they bothered reading it beyond the title before getting into full outrage mode), the police immediately started a manhunt after the suspected killers, which are now in custody pending at the very least a murder charge. I point all of that out, and how it critically contrasts with the Trayvon Martin case, only to end up getting called a troll for my trouble.
I'm going to make a lot of assumptions but even the conditions of the murder make it sound like it doesn't matter who delivered the pizza, they were going to get stabbed to death. There isn't anything about the murder that sounds racially motivated, it sounds to me like a couple of psychopathic kids wanted to kill someone and thought a pizza delivery person would be perfect because no one important delivers pizza who would notice right!?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

DoctorWhat posted:

I can not read this post and not imagine Neil Boortz' voice speaking it.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

I've found it reported by local news and by Fox News and CBS News; but sure, only reported in the UK.

And I think Je suis fatigue is right. It sounds like they would have killed the delivery person even if they had been a black man. It's not like they ordered "a cheese pizza, delivered by a white woman". In the Martin case, a white teen walking through the neighborhood would have been left alone. But sure, they're both racially motivated. At least based on what little is known now; maybe they really were only looking to kill a white woman. In that case it would have been racially motivated. But until the suspects come out and say, "we did it because we hate white people", there's no reason to assume it was a racial thing.

Plus, the suspected killers were arrested, unlike in the Martin case. In fact a big part of the issue in the Martin case was nothing to do with race, but rather the issue of "Stand Your Ground" laws. The idea that Zimmerman could instigate a confrontation and then kill Martin and it was totally legal was the biggest part of the outrage; the fact that Martin was targeted because he was black made it that much worse.

It's almost as if these people lack any sense of nuance. Why isn't everything treated exactly the same?!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sarion posted:

It's almost as if these people lack any sense of nuance. Why isn't everything treated exactly the same?!

Because that's how you get Communism, that's why.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's been a thing for a little while now that people bring up some case of black people killing white people and trying to compare it to the Trayvon Martin case, and ignore how in the incidents they bring up the black suspects are caught and indicted instantly.

"Why won't someone do something about *this* then?!"
"Because the police already took care of it?"

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Guilty Spork posted:

It's been a thing for a little while now that people bring up some case of black people killing white people and trying to compare it to the Trayvon Martin case, and ignore how in the incidents they bring up the black suspects are caught and indicted instantly.

"Why won't someone do something about *this* then?!"
"Because the police already took care of it?"

Yeah, and in some cases they even pull out old old cases where the people have already been convicted and are sitting on death row right now. Yet you still get "WHY ISN'T THE LIEBERAL LAMESTREAM MEDIA TALKING ABOUT THIS?!"

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator
There's some FB image making the rounds among my conservative relatives that sperges on about how everyone on welfare should be drug-tested, etc...

In response, I put up a big post talking about the Florida welfare drug-testing program, how it's actually cost Florida money, how the company that's contracted to do the testing used to have Governor Rick Scott as its CEO, how only 2.6% of people tested positive for drugs (and 8.6% of the general Florida population uses drugs, so you're ALREADY at 1/3 of the rest of the state), and how it puts a burden on already financially strapped people by requiring them to front the cost for the test and then wait to be reimbursed by the state.

Did anyone respond to it? NOPE.AVI

Just a bunch of people posting "I AGREE WITH YOU, *relative's name here*!" and the like.

For gently caress's sake, you idiots, at least TRY to make some kind of counterargument rather than just "HERP DERP STATISTICS AND INFORMATION DON'T MATTER gently caress THE POORS!"

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

CarterUSM posted:

There's some FB image making the rounds among my conservative relatives that sperges on about how everyone on welfare should be drug-tested, etc...

In response, I put up a big post talking about the Florida welfare drug-testing program, how it's actually cost Florida money, how the company that's contracted to do the testing used to have Governor Rick Scott as its CEO, how only 2.6% of people tested positive for drugs (and 8.6% of the general Florida population uses drugs, so you're ALREADY at 1/3 of the rest of the state), and how it puts a burden on already financially strapped people by requiring them to front the cost for the test and then wait to be reimbursed by the state.

Did anyone respond to it? NOPE.AVI

Just a bunch of people posting "I AGREE WITH YOU, *relative's name here*!" and the like.

For gently caress's sake, you idiots, at least TRY to make some kind of counterargument rather than just "HERP DERP STATISTICS AND INFORMATION DON'T MATTER gently caress THE POORS!"

"But I have to get drug tested (by my employer) to get MY money! Why shouldn't THEY have to!?": every single person i've had this argument with. Seriously, I can explain to them with facts that it costs more money then it saves, that's it's unconstitutional, etc, and actually get them to AGREE with me and come right up to the brink of having an epiphany...and then they fall right back on that line. It's like their twisted idea of 'fairness' trumps reality.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Popular Human posted:

"But I have to get drug tested (by my employer) to get MY money! Why shouldn't THEY have to!?": every single person i've had this argument with. Seriously, I can explain to them with facts that it costs more money then it saves, that's it's unconstitutional, etc, and actually get them to AGREE with me and come right up to the brink of having an epiphany...and then they fall right back on that line. It's like their twisted idea of 'fairness' trumps reality.

It's amazing how the conclusion they always reach is "drug test those fuckers too" and not "stop drug testing me".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Soviet Commubot posted:

It's amazing how the conclusion they always reach is "drug test those fuckers too" and not "stop drug testing me".

It's because using drugs is considered a moral failing and we must destroy the morally corrupt at any cost. Obviously they would never use them and have nothing to hide so they have nothing to fear and anyone who is against drug testing is a meth-addled monster that must be denied.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Popular Human posted:

I think we should extend this to other public services. Want to use the library? Drug test. Public park? We don't want drug users having a picnic. Get a tax rebate or deduction? Not until you go see the testing center first. I mean hell, if we're really concerned about drug users public safety seems a bigger issue than wasted tax dollars. Mandate that all cars have an ignition lock system that only comes unlocked if you pee into a special device that tests your urine for drugs or alcohol.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Mo_Steel posted:

Mandate that all cars have an ignition lock system that only comes unlocked if you pee into a special device that tests your urine for drugs or alcohol.

Christ, don't give them ideas. Also, I've never had to get drug tested at my current job :smug:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've been drugtested once, when I worked retail. I can only assume anyone complaining about getting drug tested doesn't bootstrap hard enough and should lose their right to complain until they get some ambition.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

I've been drugtested once, when I worked retail. I can only assume anyone complaining about getting drug tested doesn't bootstrap hard enough and should lose their right to complain until they get some ambition.

Same. I was drug tested to work weekends as a cashier, but haven't been drug tested in nearly a decade within my profession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Tried searching the thread and couldn't find good statistics about drug use and welfare. I googled to find the amount testing costed Florida, but idiot on Facebook says "it's worth it to keep drug users off welfare!"

edit: oh gently caress, one of his friends jumped in and said that statistics lie. should I just throw my hands up and call it a day?

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 14, 2012