Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Any ideas on what this mix is? Her ears say GSD to me. She's listed as an Ibizan mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Skizzles posted:

Any ideas on what this mix is? Her ears say GSD to me. She's listed as an Ibizan mix.

Shep/pit?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Skizzles posted:

She looks shepherdy to me too. A lankier, sleeker version of my Delta. GSD x husky/pit mix? Something that has a lot of white.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I don't know why I didn't think pit before, but yeah, that makes sense and is a hell of a lot more likely than Ibizan. :downs:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I think I posted these pics here ages ago, but I never really got a response. My family's dog, Shawney, who I assume is part pit at least, but don't really know what else. What do you guys think?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Some combination of pit, cattledog and lab, maybe? I could also see pit/hound cross, maybe intentionally bred as a bay dog if you got her from a rural area where hog hunting is prevalent.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Captain Foxy posted:

Some combination of pit, cattledog and lab, maybe?

This sounds pretty accurate to me, just based on looks.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I've been wondering for a bit what my dog could be besides "some kind of pit mix" (or an American Boozehound :v:). I think she's mostly GSD/pit. She's about 40-45 pounds and has a long whip of a tail that she beats my shins with when she's excited. :saddowns: I need to take more pictures, I don't have any current ones of the rest of her body.

Bonus image proving that she was always the saddest puppy:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
She looks a bit shar pei to me, what with the wrinkles and expression.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Okay good, I wasn't the only one seeing shar-pei. Without better pictures of her standing and such, I can't tell much beyond pit/shar-pei.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

The wrinkles and concerned expression remind me a lot of my friend's Ridgeback.

e: not saying it IS a ridgeback, 'cause plenty of breeds have those forehead wrinkles. But...

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Meet Smitty. My fiancee and I adopted Smitty in November of last year from the local SPCA. The SPCA had rescued him from the pound in September after the Bridgeport PD picked him up as a stray. Birdgeport, CT is pretty ghetto so Smitty's on some street poo poo. He's five years old and makes us feel like we won the adoption lottery with his personality - he's affectionate and happy all of the time, gets along great with all dogs, all kids and even babies, is house-broken and loves all of his toys, walks, and trips to the dog park. I don't think anyone was ever mean to him because he's not skittish or at all unnerved around new people. I think he just plain got lost.

The thing is, we're not sure what he is! We've been rolling with Shih-Tzu/Poodle mix which is probably pretty close, but who knows? Anyone else have thoughts?

I thus present ya boy right here, Puppa Smitty:

Bonus edition summertime haircut Smitty:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Invalid Octopus posted:

She looks a bit shar pei to me, what with the wrinkles and expression.

What are the odds that a random mutt is part Sharpei, though? They're not really that common in most parts.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It happens. I've seen at least a handful of shar-pei mutts come through the shelters around here. One looked like someone glued a tiny shar-pei head on a generic brown dog body. :downs: But of course it is entirely possible it's the influence of some other dogs that tend to get wrinkly faces. That second picture just really looks shar-pei-ish to me.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Skizzles posted:

It happens. I've seen at least a handful of shar-pei mutts come through the shelters around here. One looked like someone glued a tiny shar-pei head on a generic brown dog body. :downs: But of course it is entirely possible it's the influence of some other dogs that tend to get wrinkly faces. That second picture just really looks shar-pei-ish to me.

The puppy picture doesn't, though. Shar-peis start with way more wrinkles than they end up with.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

Wamsutta posted:

I thus present ya boy right here, Puppa Smitty:

Bonus edition summertime haircut Smitty:

Gahhh too cute!! Yeah, I definetely think Shih Tzu and Poodle. What a perfect mix, usually when you see that combination they can look ugly and goofy as hell...he gets the absolute cuteness of both. :3:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Gahhh too cute!! Yeah, I definetely think Shih Tzu and Poodle. What a perfect mix, usually when you see that combination they can look ugly and goofy as hell...he gets the absolute cuteness of both. :3:

Thank you for loving Smitty. I agree, he blasts wild levels of cuteness while featuring none of the potentially detracting factors of either breed. We couldn't be happier with him. I wish we had shared him with Pet Island sooner, he wants to be an Internet Superstar

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
http://www.seattlehumane.org/node/26585

Aussie, BC, or somewhere in-between?

The shelter claims Aussie, but I think he looks more like a Border Collie (ears, tail, eyes, coloring). The coat's very heavy, though.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I think it looks more BC too, but I think there's definitely something else in there. Unless it's just a weird, chunky BC.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Skizzles posted:

I think it looks more BC too, but I think there's definitely something else in there. Unless it's just a weird, chunky BC.

He's pretty overweight, and the build is roughly furry ottoman - something I'd expect out of an ACD more than a BC. Poor guy really wanted to play ball when I had him out on my last shift, but had to take extended breaks to catch his breath.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, my money would be on fattyfat BC. But the breeds can be so similar in appearance it can be tough to tell sometimes.

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
calling all forest friends for a game of touch tail
Adopted a puppy from the local shelter here on Guam - they had her listed as an Aussie/Pit mix but everyone here just calls any dog you get from GAIN a "boonie dog" so I have no idea, really. There are lots of poorly bred pitbulls and dog fights here and apparently she was picked up in a yard with ~6 other pups all chained up and poorly taken care of.

Whatever she is, I lurve her. :3:

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
This is Sophie. We got her about a week ago from the adoption shelter. They said she is an 8 month old Lab/Hound mix. Any thoughts? Her face looks like it may have some pitbull in there too?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

She looks to have ridiculous Shar Pei ears.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a life less posted:

She looks to have ridiculous Shar Pei ears.

Definitely tiny Pei triangle ears. Maybe with some lab/pit something mixed in? Don't see any hound. How big is she and do you have any pictures of her standing?

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Hehe, she does have those silly Shar Pei triangle ears

Instant Jellyfish posted:

How big is she and do you have any pictures of her standing?

She's about 22-23 inches tall (to her back), and around 33 pounds.

(Don't mind the scrunched up harness, she was pulling hard from the other side in this picture, but I photoshopped my girlfriend out of the picture because she didn't want to be on the internet)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
This is Abby (the larger one) and Dottie (the smaller one). Both are shelter rescues - Abby was described as a german shepherd/bluetick coonhound mix and Dottie was described as a hound/beagle mix. We're not sure either description is more than 50% right, but we think they're both pretty great dogs. Abby in particular gets a lot of compliments and attention when we're out and about

And in certain lighting, at a certain angle, you can make a pretty strong argument for Abby having a little penguin in her blood

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Slugworth posted:

This is Abby (the larger one) and Dottie (the smaller one). Both are shelter rescues - Abby was described as a german shepherd/bluetick coonhound mix and Dottie was described as a hound/beagle mix. We're not sure either description is more than 50% right, but we think they're both pretty great dogs. Abby in particular gets a lot of compliments and attention when we're out and about

Abby definitely isn't a bluetick mix because she's not ticked at all and ticking is a dominant trait. The German Shepherd is pretty clear but maybe a treeing walker hound? She's got hound-y markings. Does she do the "baroooo" hound bellow?

Dottie looks less hound-y to me, especially since she doesn't have any white. Maybe shepherd/beagle/something? She has sort of a beagle-y face and shepherd colors but with something else in the mix.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

I would go with beagle/GSD for Abby and beagle/dachshund for Dottie.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just got this girl. Very good manners in the car or out downtown around other people and dogs and distractions. She was born Feb 18 but we just got her two days ago. No clue on breed. I got a couple clickers and she's been responding extremely well to them.

Any clue on the breed?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Abby definitely isn't a bluetick mix because she's not ticked at all and ticking is a dominant trait. The German Shepherd is pretty clear but maybe a treeing walker hound? She's got hound-y markings. Does she do the "baroooo" hound bellow?

Dottie looks less hound-y to me, especially since she doesn't have any white. Maybe shepherd/beagle/something? She has sort of a beagle-y face and shepherd colors but with something else in the mix.
Just to be clear, is the hound bellow the horrible baying noise that beagles make, or is it more like a wookie noise? 'Cause Abby does a wookie noise that can be drawn out for a good 5-10 seconds long that is absolutely hysterical. 'Barooo' does sound like a decent representation of the noise, but she puts a lot more syllables in there

And good to have a more or less authoritative 'no' on the bluetick claim - We never could figure out what on earth made them guess that.

Fortress of Pie
Mar 30, 2007

Geeze alright have an account why don't you.
I've had Walter since late January but I have no idea what to tell people when they ask what type of dog he is. The Humane Society had him listed as a French Bulldog/Pug, but clearly I don't see it. He's 5-6 months old in these pictures:

Fortress of Pie fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 13, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Looks like a chihuahua/pug mix, maybe?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

revmoo posted:

Just got this girl. Very good manners in the car or out downtown around other people and dogs and distractions. She was born Feb 18 but we just got her two days ago. No clue on breed. I got a couple clickers and she's been responding extremely well to them.

Any clue on the breed?

Australian shepherd and/or cattledog. She is super cute and I bet she's going to be a brilliant little spitfire :3:

Fortress of Pie posted:

I've had Walter since late January but I have no idea what to tell people when they ask what type of dog he is. The Humane Society had him listed as a French Bulldog/Pug, but clearly I don't see it. He's 5-6 months old in these pictures:

I definitely can see frenchie in those ears, but mixed with something with a face. Maybe chi or a little terrier or something.

Slugworth posted:

Just to be clear, is the hound bellow the horrible baying noise that beagles make, or is it more like a wookie noise? 'Cause Abby does a wookie noise that can be drawn out for a good 5-10 seconds long that is absolutely hysterical. 'Barooo' does sound like a decent representation of the noise, but she puts a lot more syllables in there

And good to have a more or less authoritative 'no' on the bluetick claim - We never could figure out what on earth made them guess that.

I meant the baying but the wookie noise is pretty common in hounds I've met and GSDs so who knows. Sounds awesome though.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

I definitely can see frenchie in those ears, but mixed with something with a face. Maybe chi or a little terrier or something.

Yeah I'd say Frenchie/chi is a good guess.

Fortress of Pie
Mar 30, 2007

Geeze alright have an account why don't you.

Skizzles posted:

Yeah I'd say Frenchie/chi is a good guess.

That's the mix I've been guessing. It may be just because he's still a pup, but he has pretty high energy. Sprinting, fetching, loves walks. Definitely no lazy bulldog attitude.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

This here might be the cutest dog.

Or maybe this one? In a very different kind of way... One is beautiful, the other is a weird little cat-dog :) He stands so straight and proud!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Etheldreda posted:

This here might be the cutest dog.

She's pretty incredible. Within like 5 days we've gotten sit, stay, loose leash walking and separation anxiety pretty much cured (we record when we leave the house). You put her in the car and she just sits in her seat quietly. She can even handle downtown/busy streets and distractions like motorcycles without a problem. We took her out to a busy sidewalk cafe the other day for dinner in a place known for noise and commotion and she just sat there greeting other people and dogs. Our only problem has been with our cats, but that lies squarely with the cats and not on her.

She's clearly got a ton of energy though, we're walking her 5+ miles a day and she still wants more. I'm thinking about getting one of those backpacks for her but I'm not sure what a good age for that sort of thing is. Also she's extremely clumsy. I think it's because her legs grew faster than the rest of her. I'd rate her jumping aptitude at like a 2/10 right now. It's pretty funny.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

It's too early for a backpack. I would wait until she's at least a year old before trying one out, and wait 'til she's 2 years old to add any actual weight (anything +1lb).

Training, nosework games, fetch, tug, hide and seek, tricks and flirt poles are other good ways to tire dogs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

revmoo posted:

Any clue on the breed?

Cattledog mix! Are those freckles on her nose? I can't wait to see if her ears stand up, she totally has earbeards like my Brisbane.