Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Did y'all notice this minifig display box set that comes with a classic space minifig?

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Minifigure-Presentation-Boxes-850423

If only it came with the old-school helmet :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

tikan posted:

Just found a Queen Anne's Revenge for 79$ at Walmart, the 21 year hole in my heart where a Black Seas Barracuda should be is finally filled.

I got that, and then a week later found a Black Pearl for $70 and my wife and I put together many LEGO bricks. They're now displaying in the dining room cuz we're nerds like that.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

tikan posted:

Just found a Queen Anne's Revenge for 79$ at Walmart, the 21 year hole in my heart where a Black Seas Barracuda should be is finally filled.

I picked that up to. One day when my dad finally gives me back my Black Seas Barracuda they will have an epic battle. He keeps it on his dresser at home as a reminder of me when I was a wee lad. :)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Job progress: So I should hear back this week about if I'm getting an interview, and then that interview and hiring will take place at the end of this month.

Now, dilemma, I've been given an interview at a fast-food restaurant, and I'd know before my Lego interview if I had that job or not, but I really don't like the idea of working there, and working around Lego would be a dream come true.

I've got retail and customer services experience, experience working with kids and I know the product line off by heart, pretty much, do I hold out for the chance to work with Lego, or do I go for the fast food interview and risk getting the job?

They say you shouldn't be picky, but I feel like I'd be disappointed in myself for not taking the risk and trying.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
If you get accepted for the fast food job then take it but still go for the Lego interview. If you get accepted for that then jack the fast food job.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hamburlgar posted:

If you get accepted for the fast food job then take it but still go for the Lego interview. If you get accepted for that then jack the fast food job.

I'd need to hand in my notice though, meaning I wouldn't be available to start the Lego job ASAP, and, frankly, I'd feel a little bad doing that.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Can you really trust the Hamburglar with regards to fast food employment?

But yeah, that.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PriorMarcus posted:

Job progress: So I should hear back this week about if I'm getting an interview, and then that interview and hiring will take place at the end of this month.

Now, dilemma, I've been given an interview at a fast-food restaurant, and I'd know before my Lego interview if I had that job or not, but I really don't like the idea of working there, and working around Lego would be a dream come true.

I've got retail and customer services experience, experience working with kids and I know the product line off by heart, pretty much, do I hold out for the chance to work with Lego, or do I go for the fast food interview and risk getting the job?

They say you shouldn't be picky, but I feel like I'd be disappointed in myself for not taking the risk and trying.

If you are at the stage of life where your options are burger-joint or toy store as your employment options, definately hold out for the toy store. You don't need to cover a mortgage or pay for your kids dental bills, so dare to live the dream and become a citizen of Lego Land.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd need to hand in my notice though, meaning I wouldn't be available to start the Lego job ASAP, and, frankly, I'd feel a little bad doing that.

Giving notice is a courtesy, not a requirement. While it may be a lovely thing to do, just bail. Don't even mention the food job to Lego and just say you can start right away. Believe me if the food job wants rid of you they won't give you the courtesy of notice (not while you are still in your probationary period).

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 12, 2012

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
Someone posted a link in the comments at Brickset to this MOC from six years ago:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1694010

It is incredibly close to the official set, down to the porch and window frames. Looks like CUUSOO was running a lot earlier than we thought :v:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Haven't seen this mentioned, but the Lynnwood, WA Lego Store is having its grand opening June 22-24th. There's a different exclusive gift with a $35 purchase each day.

Which is a little annoying, since I'd like the store and the minifigs, but I don't want to make the trip twice.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

PriorMarcus posted:

Fast food places have a pretty high turnover. "Handing in notice" probably goes well above and beyond what most people do for minimum wage jobs (if they're not looking for a reference). I mean it's a big inconvinience when people just don't turn up and a pain in the rear end if there's no one to cover you on the day. A phone call the day before so they can arrange cover is probably enough to ensure you're not being a complete rear end in a top hat. If you're a nice guy you'll probably feel bad about it.... for a day or two.

We had (in an office environment) had a guy who didn't come back from his lunchbreak on the first day! It was a pain but it's not like we tracked him down or took him to court or anything.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Gravy Jones posted:

Fast food places have a pretty high turnover. "Handing in notice" probably goes well above and beyond what most people do for minimum wage jobs (if they're not looking for a reference).
Exactly. It's a goddamn fast food job. No one will care. It will never factor into your life in any way. Give them however much notice you have after you get confirmation of the LEGO job -- if that's 12 hours, oh well.

I worked in food service -- restaurants and bars -- and despite those being better jobs than fast food, you'd be surprised at how many employees just "disappeared". Every once in a while, someone would just walk off in the middle of their shift.

In regards to the LEGO house, I'm even more convinced now of it's collector status. I've seen it show up on at least three Facebook feeds of people who have never even owned a LEGO set, never talked about LEGO, don't have kids, and are calling it "a must buy". I'll buy at least two, myself.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Rare Collectable posted:

Hahaha you're right, this just keeps getting better and better.

I really need to know what kind of music Lord Vampyre listens to. :allears:

Everything i see about this set makes me want it more and more, might have to save up for it.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Haven't seen this mentioned, but the Lynnwood, WA Lego Store is having its grand opening June 22-24th. There's a different exclusive gift with a $35 purchase each day.

Which is a little annoying, since I'd like the store and the minifigs, but I don't want to make the trip twice.

Yeah, I'm making a weekend out of it. Each morning I'll stand in line at the lego store for the exclusives, then all afternoon/evening I'll do the tourist stuff with the Mrs. for her birthday trip. Win/win.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
drat I went to apply for the supervisor position for the Arndale store but the closing date for applications has been met. I guess Aldi will have to do for now :(

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

A friend just messaged me on facebook mentioning he wants to sell me 3 big blue bins full of lego sets from the 90's!

quote:

Looks like u have an affinity for Legos. I have a poo poo ton of em mostly from the early 90s collections , about half are parted out with directions. About 20 other sets w directions just jumbled together. So about 30-35 sets totalling three big blue tubs full. U wanna buy em? Im down to sell em to get rid of em. Lemme know, I can send some pics if u have n e particular interests.

:stare:

Needless to say I am all over this. I'll post pics of the stash once I get my grubby little hands on it all. Finally the Lego gods have smiled upon me :unsmith: I have been dying to get a break like this for a while.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I keep looking at the Westfield Stratford London Lego store job and pondering, and then remembering that journey would take me an hour and a half each way to work. If the lego store in the Westfield in West London gets an opening, that I might have to go for.

Has anyone seen any of the Monster Fighter stuff in the UK yet?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I keep looking at the Westfield Stratford London Lego store job and pondering, and then remembering that journey would take me an hour and a half each way to work. If the lego store in the Westfield in West London gets an opening, that I might have to go for.

Has anyone seen any of the Monster Fighter stuff in the UK yet?

No, not yet. I was under the impression it hadn't been released/delivered to any stores yet.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Monster Fighter sets have started showing up at Targets in the US as well as TRU. Guess its not a Lego store and TRU exclusive.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
After rediscovering Lego earlier this year and buying a few random sets I've decided to collect the Creator houses as they satisfy my build-lust and are the easiest sets to keep on display once they've been built. I've currently only got the Hillside House (5771) and Olivia's House (from the Friends line) and am hoping to eventually get a line of houses across the top of my bookshelf.

From this list are there any sets that are particularly good or rare that I should get sooner than later? Or any sets that might be worth skipping or waiting til I see it cheap on eBay or Craigslist?

• 4954 - Model Townhouse
  • 4956 - House
  • 4996 - Beach House
  • 5766 - Log Cabin
  • 5770 - Lighthouse Island
  • 5891 - Apple Tree House
  • 6754 - Family Home
  • 7346 - Seaside House

I also see that the Model Townhouse (4954) regularly sells for $200-$400 on eBay, given that you could buy a Town Hall modular for that much is it worth the price in terms of collectability / build quality?

I'm also incredibly excited about the Haunted House set. I can't imagine how crazy I would have been about that set if it was released when I was a kid.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Get the Lighthouse. Absolutely great set, reasonable and so worth it.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Yeah the lighthouse is great. I was a little disappointed by the log cabin, though; it didn't really have the same level of detail.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Thanks, guys. The lighthouse, seaside house and apple tree house are all available on the lego.com.au webshop at the moment and I was thinking about picking up all three so I have a bit of a stockpile to keep me busy until the haunted house is released at the end of the year.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And you can add the haunted house to the line up when it's released. Hello new neighbours!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

SynthOrange posted:

And you can add the haunted house to the line up when it's released. Hello new neighbours!

I wonder what it would look like un-hauntified, I'll probably never bring myself to dismantle it to find out though. First set of 2012 that I'll actually put money aside for rather than just impulse buy and eat bugs for a month.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

I wonder what it would look like un-hauntified, I'll probably never bring myself to dismantle it to find out though. First set of 2012 that I'll actually put money aside for rather than just impulse buy and eat bugs for a month.

From a bit back up the page, it would probably look like this, minus the ghosts and such.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I would love to get that mini Lego Store set but what with them being only sold at store openings they are probably ridiculous on the secondary market.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The Rage posted:

Monster Fighter sets have started showing up at Targets in the US as well as TRU. Guess its not a Lego store and TRU exclusive.

LotR too. I found a Target giftcard that I had forgotten and it had enough to pay for the Vampyre Hearse. :D
(it lost the coinflip to the LotR orc battle pack castle wall thing)

Can't wait to crack it open.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Torael_7 posted:

From a bit back up the page, it would probably look like this, minus the ghosts and such.

Interesting. For you architecture buffs, would the style of this building be too out of place for an old west setting? I think it looks ok, but I'm a stickler for accuracy. Obviously I only mean the exterior.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
To the goon who emailed me about minifigs:

My gmail ate your message, send me another one.

tikan
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

Yeah the lighthouse is great. I was a little disappointed by the log cabin, though; it didn't really have the same level of detail.

I remade the Log Cabin into the alternate A-frame and used the extra pieces to make a bed inside and add a tree house, really enjoy that set now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

LotR too. I found a Target giftcard that I had forgotten and it had enough to pay for the Vampyre Hearse. :D
(it lost the coinflip to the LotR orc battle pack castle wall thing)

Can't wait to crack it open.

Hahahahah, no guns. Hurling dynamite at Dracula's fine though.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

SynthOrange posted:

He has a gun, though? :confused:

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Also, it comes with a gun.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

That set is incredible, the hearse is amazing, and the robot leg on the guy chasing him is awesome.

I never thought I'd like steampunk but mixing it with Legos and monsters did it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doing the hearse in white would make the basis for a boss Ecto-1.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Interesting. For you architecture buffs, would the style of this building be too out of place for an old west setting? I think it looks ok, but I'm a stickler for accuracy. Obviously I only mean the exterior.
That's a pretty stereotypical Second Empire architecture. That was most popular between 1865 and 1880, so it could be considered "period correct" if you're talking the very last days of the Wild West. Of course, I don't think it would have time to get so dilapidated and haunted, but it theoretically could happen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, so he does. He's still chasing after Dracula on a bike, throwing dynamite and waving a sword with his free hand though. I thought it was a hilarious example of how far they've moved on from the old no guns era.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Lego didn't want to make "war" stuff specifically, not so much guns or combat (they obviously love combat at this point as that's where all their money is). Like they'd never make an accurate modern military tank, for example. I assume this is part not wanting to glorify real war and part not wanting to make light of real war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

einTier posted:

That's a pretty stereotypical Second Empire architecture. That was most popular between 1865 and 1880, so it could be considered "period correct" if you're talking the very last days of the Wild West. Of course, I don't think it would have time to get so dilapidated and haunted, but it theoretically could happen.

Thanks :) the West goes up to the turn of the century do that'll fit nicely.

I intend to de-haunt it and use it as part of my zombie western town. The boarded up windows are perfect and it even comes with a bunch of zombie heads. A house of this type has been my dream set for ages. The haunted aspect is just so much gravy.