Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Any suggestions on my earlier pate a choux recipes? I don't really want to waste ingredients.

I know i've used the second one you mentioned (http://ruhlman.com/2009/01/pate-a-choux/) before and had it work. They definitely puffed up and were hollow so I'd call that a success. A short google has that recipe pop up in various places. The one I originally used was for gougères here: http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/10/black-pepper-and-thyme-gougeres-just.html#uds-search-results, which is that same recipe, halved. I also found that one on some random blog, but it links back to the ruhlman thing. So i'd just go the old fashioned way and measure it out by volume. I'll bet the most important part is the technique and baking, and less the ratio of ingredients. I can't really comment on the "best" recipe though, I have only made them twice and I forget what the first recipe was. I know it was from joy of cooking, though.

hayden. posted:

Someone please tell me:
2. How to cook chicken breasts that i can then refrigerate over night and eat at lunch after being microwaved that tastes good.

Healthy is the key. Thanks!

Your best bet would probably be some kind of stewed chicken. I would think the liquid would allow for better microwaving, and depending on your stewing liquid it could be fairly healthy. You could put it on a starch and make it a meal (like rice or bread or something), or include some potatoes, or sweet potatoes maybe? They're healthier right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Your steak will stay rarer if you sear it while it's cold, not sure why you guys are warming it up.

People have different preferences :iiam:

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Valdara posted:

They're in the crock pot, salted, peppered, and oiled.

These turned out amazing. They cooked in only their own juices and are brilliantly tender, but not pulled pork consistency. We went to the gym and came back ravenous. I cooked up some zucchini, defrosted some polenta, and we had supper ready in less than ten minutes. For $2 a pound, I am very happy.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody have a good method of drying meat for jerky that doesn't involve a dehydrator or an oven? Or hanging slabs of meat on a drying rack and leaving it in the sun?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Chemmy posted:

Your steak will stay rarer if you sear it while it's cold, not sure why you guys are warming it up.

If a steak is too thick, a high heat sear will blacken the outside too much before the inside gets warm. Let it come to temperature on the counter to prevent this.

With thiner steaks done medium rare, yea, just leave it in the fridge until it's cooking time to keep the inside cool and rarer while getting a good sear.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You also don't really want a fatty cut like ribeye to be undercooked or you'll be chewing on rubbery fat all day.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

visuvius posted:

Questions about defrosting meat.

1) Is it okay to defrost a frozen chicken breast by just leaving it out all day while I'm at work? poo poo is frozen rock hard in the AM.

2) If I defrost 2 pounds of chicken, and only need to use 1.5 pounds of it, can I refreeze the remaining 1/2 pound? Does it gently caress up the meat?

1 - nononononono. Don't leave it on the counter for that length of time. Stick it in the fridge the night before. Or you can stick it under cold running water, like in your sink. That's the quickest safe way.

2 - just use the whole 2 pounds. That, or leave the rest in the fridge. Re-freezing meat will gently caress it up, yeah.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What's the difference between a nice steel knife and a ceramic knife?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tarepanda posted:

What's the difference between a nice steel knife and a ceramic knife?

Brittleness. Though some hard steels like aogami/shirogami would be quite brittle as well. You wouldn't want to use any of these as a boning knife (deba or honesuki for example).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody have a good method of drying meat for jerky that doesn't involve a dehydrator or an oven? Or hanging slabs of meat on a drying rack and leaving it in the sun?

The only method of making jerky I've ever seen other that using a dehydrator, an oven, or the sun is Alton Brown's box-fan method (which is sorta just like a low-temperature dehydrator):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe/index.html

Never tried it myself; the oven method works pretty well and the dehydrator method even better.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

I agree. Convenience and keeping the Mrs happy. Iqfbscb are for her. I think they're pretty flavorless. Price wise, Ive found thighs and thigh quarters to be cheaper than whole chicken, but nothing crazy. Usually .69/lb for thigh quarters vs .99/lb for whole.

I dunno how the amount of bones in the whole bird vs thigh make a difference in the stock. I usually get a pot of stock out of either the whole or the thigh bones, though I think I remember somewhere about the wings being good and snipping the tips off before throwing them in the pot.

Wait, so your wife will eat BSCB that you buy in a package at the store, but she won't eat de-skinned chicken breasts that you cut off of a chicken?

Anyway- I see you on the price of chicken thighs vs. whole chicken. But you're not going to get the best stock out of just thigh bones. A lot of what gives good stock its flavor and texture is the connective tissues, cartilage, etc. And like another poster said, if you make a lot of stuff that calls for shredded chicken, whole chicken is the way to go.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Because cold steak is the worst ever?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I've come into an rear end-load of Thai basil. I'll be making Pad Kra Pow tonight, but what do I do with the rest of this massive bunch?

Does it freeze? My gut says not, but do you guys have any methods for preserving the herb?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Wait, so your wife will eat BSCB that you buy in a package at the store, but she won't eat de-skinned chicken breasts that you cut off of a chicken?

She will eat breast meat I've cut, but prefers boneless skinless. *shrug*

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Whats a good temp to cook scallops to? I am really bad at judging doneness by touch and I always end up over cooking them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Whats a good temp to cook scallops to? I am really bad at judging doneness by touch and I always end up over cooking them.

Treat like a steak, or really any other fish. Cook to ~130-135F.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Is there any reasonable substitute for eggs in a breading recipe? Our eggs expired a week ago, but I would like to make a breaded chicken to go with our sauce and pasta tonight. If there's not, what's a good chicken recipe to go with vodka sauce and linguine?

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Eggs don't magically go bad after the expiration date. Crack them one by one into a separate bowl to make sure they're still good. Old eggs don't matter for things like breading.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Edit: derp beaten

Lullabee posted:

Is there any reasonable substitute for eggs in a breading recipe? Our eggs expired a week ago, but I would like to make a breaded chicken to go with our sauce and pasta tonight. If there's not, what's a good chicken recipe to go with vodka sauce and linguine?

They're not in front of me, obviously, but unless you stored your eggs in the back seat of your car since you bought them, I can almost guarantee they are fine and still quite edible, especially for a cooked food. Crack one, if it doesn't smell like dying it is safe to eat.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Lullabee posted:

Just use the eggs, they're fine.

If by some chance they aren't, you'll know as soon as you crack one, trust me.

Edit: beaten (heh heh)

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
It wasn't me who made the decision that we're not eating expired eggs. Mr. Lullabee is paranoid about putting stuff like that in my body, since we're in the early stages of pregnancy and doesn't want to risk it. So, that's why I asked for substitutions/recipe ideas.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Lullabee posted:

It wasn't me who made the decision that we're not eating expired eggs. Mr. Lullabee is paranoid about putting stuff like that in my body, since we're in the early stages of pregnancy and doesn't want to risk it. So, that's why I asked for substitutions/recipe ideas.

Bleh my husband was like that with my first pregnancy and I eventually just had to tell him to cool it. It WILL drive you crazy by the end there if he doesn't reign it in soon.

My son is allergic to eggs so we use plain buttermilk to bread things now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lullabee posted:

I'd be more worried about the nonstick pan you're likely using to cook the eggs than the eggs. Seriously, eat the eggs, they are 100% fine, and you are really wasting food if you don't.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Randomity posted:

Bleh my husband was like that with my first pregnancy and I eventually just had to tell him to cool it. It WILL drive you crazy by the end there if he doesn't reign it in soon.

My son is allergic to eggs so we use plain buttermilk to bread things now.

I'm working on it, but yeah. I'll use the buttermilk, since I can make a faux buttermilk with my almond milk. Thanks for the tip.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I just watched the Good Eats episode on frying (season 2 episode 9), and after making a batch of fish & chips Alton claims that there is only 1 tbsp of extra oil in a serving from the frying. How is this possible, I've always seen much higher caloric numbers from restaurants for their fried foods? French fries reported calories are always far higher than calories in the potatoes alone

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Nifty posted:

I just watched the Good Eats episode on frying (season 2 episode 9), and after making a batch of fish & chips Alton claims that there is only 1 tbsp of extra oil in a serving from the frying. How is this possible, I've always seen much higher caloric numbers from restaurants for their fried foods? French fries reported calories are always far higher than calories in the potatoes alone
Simple answer: potatoes will absorb oil, fish won't. When you batter something like a hunk of fish, the breadcrumbs (or cornmeal or whatever) will absorb some oil during frying, but that's more or less all the cooking oil that you'll end up consuming.

Potatoes (and most other vegetables) will soak up oil as they cook, so you end up consuming a lot of the cooking oil when you consume them. This is one of the reasons you make frites with duck fat---because it's loving delicious.

You can actually just weigh a portion of the food before and after cooking to figure out how much of the cooking oil it's hanging onto.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Congratulations! You have been pre-approved for season 11 of Hell's Kitchen.

hyper from Pixie Sticks fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 12, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

For the price, I would not get any of those "fancy" knives. You get much better bang/buck by going Japanese.

Victorinox/Forschners are great though. Also Kiwi and Shibazi cleavers.

Updated with your recommendation added

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=42#post403348545

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 13, 2012

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nifty posted:

That 1tbsp of oil still has over 100 calories.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SubG posted:

Simple answer: potatoes will absorb oil, fish won't. When you batter something like a hunk of fish, the breadcrumbs (or cornmeal or whatever) will absorb some oil during frying, but that's more or less all the cooking oil that you'll end up consuming.

Potatoes (and most other vegetables) will soak up oil as they cook, so you end up consuming a lot of the cooking oil when you consume them. This is one of the reasons you make frites with duck fat---because it's loving delicious.

You can actually just weigh a portion of the food before and after cooking to figure out how much of the cooking oil it's hanging onto.

I thought that fried foods wouldn't absorb significant amounts of oil unless the oil temp dropped low enough to stop the water in food from boiling, or if there was no water left in the food to boil?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I thought that fried foods wouldn't absorb significant amounts of oil unless the oil temp dropped low enough to stop the water in food from boiling, or if there was no water left in the food to boil?
Oil temperature is one factor, but not the only one. Most foods are porous, hygroscopic media so (broadly speaking) they act as sponges of varying efficiency. Something with the consistency of bread will more or less immediately accept oil into its pores regardless of oil temperature and other factors (capillary transport, for example) just because the structure causes one factor to dominate the overall behaviour. At the other end of the spectrum would be something like a beef brisket, which is still porous but its structure---of comparatively densely packed proteins and comparatively small pores---fluid phase changes throughout the meat will dominate the overall behaviour. With most vegetable matter it'll fall somewhere in the middle.

The gross structure of the food---that is the size of it, how it's sliced, and so on---will also matter. A whole button or crimini mushroom won't take nearly as much oil when fried as the same mushroom will if sliced, for example.

Potatoes will take a lot of oil long before they've dried out. If you do cubed or sliced frites in a fry pan you can pretty much watch it happen, as the potatoes will get slightly translucent around the edges as they take oil, way the gently caress before they've cooked all the way through. With the traditional french fry shape you're presenting a gently caress of a lot of surface area to accept oil for the volume of potato. I haven't actually collected hard data on the subject, but I'd be willing to wager that you'll find that oil retention is way more sensitive to fry shape (say, shoestring versus wedge) versus oil temperature or final water content.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Tomorrow I am cooking a tri tip in the oven, then driving half an hour to my future in-laws house to feed six people for a wedding planning gathering. What would be the best way to both rest it and travel at the same time? Take out of oven, put in crock pot warmed with boiling water then dumped? Put in gallon ziplock with all juices and wrap in towels? I've never paid attention to resting meat before, and I don't want to serve bad or tough meat.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Valdara posted:

Tomorrow I am cooking a tri tip in the oven, then driving half an hour to my future in-laws house to feed six people for a wedding planning gathering. What would be the best way to both rest it and travel at the same time? Take out of oven, put in crock pot warmed with boiling water then dumped? Put in gallon ziplock with all juices and wrap in towels? I've never paid attention to resting meat before, and I don't want to serve bad or tough meat.

Pull from oven, wrap in foil, and immediately leave. It will still be pleasantly warm when you cut into it at your inlaws, and perfectly rested. Crockpot with water will just make all the flavor seep out of the tri tip. Ziploc is ok, but may leak. Use a glass or ceramic roasting pan, cover with foil, leave right away, and it should be perfect when you get there.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Vlex posted:

I've come into an rear end-load of Thai basil. I'll be making Pad Kra Pow tonight, but what do I do with the rest of this massive bunch?

Does it freeze? My gut says not, but do you guys have any methods for preserving the herb?

Chop finely, put in an ice cube tray with enough water to cover, freeze.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Because cold steak is the worst ever?

Eh. Serve it on a warm plate.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

SubG posted:

Water loss?

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I just spent two hours making pot pie. The prep can be lengthy, but it is oh, so very worth it. I even managed to take reasonably detailed pictures of basically every step. Would delicious pot pie be something to start a new thread, or something to just stick on the end of "what I made for supper"? I made it in my shiny new stainless pot, and it showed me a bunch of things I've only every read about due to using non-stick a majority of the time.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Pull from oven, wrap in foil, and immediately leave. It will still be pleasantly warm when you cut into it at your inlaws, and perfectly rested. Crockpot with water will just make all the flavor seep out of the tri tip. Ziploc is ok, but may leak. Use a glass or ceramic roasting pan, cover with foil, leave right away, and it should be perfect when you get there.

Thanks! That's what I hoped. I didn't mean in a crock pot with water, a crock pot that had had boiling water in it to warm it up, dumped out, dried, and the meat put in there. I was thinking use the crock part of the crock pot as the resting vessel.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The water content of cooked meat tends to be around 60%, independent of cooking method (to within plus or minus a few percent). Citation: some data from the USDA.

If you were doing something for publication you'd have to sweat it, but for just eyeballing it in the kitchen that's probably good enough.

And for whatever it's worth, the search I did for the USDA data turned up a paper from a University in Portugal that presents an empirical model for frying that seems to be consistent with my earlier suppositions about the shape of a frying tater being more important than the temperature. It does not, however, specifically discuss oil retention (at least in the data present in the preview).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any easy breakfasts I could make with a big pot of couscous, besides oatmeal-esque addons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Buy a bunch of video cards for bitcoin mining and throw your meat on top.

Why are you asking how to make beef jerky without using any of the normal methods for drying meat? What weirdass limitations are you working under?