Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm in as long as that means that "Things Change" isn't stuck as the last episode of Teen Titans. That's an awful way to end things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
They couldn't have used that money to make something else, like Plastic Man or something? The New Teen Titans shorts are okay and cute in small doses, but I can't imagine a full 30 minute series of them being anything but irritating.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

They couldn't have used that money to make something else, like Plastic Man or something?

How about some kind of DC anthology show as a successor to Batman: the Brave and the Bold? Use Bat-Mite as the Rod Serling host (though, more like a demented Ernie Kovacs).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

Is it bad that I like Ultimate Spider-Man?
I think it suffers from the unfortunate case of living up to Spectacular Spiderman.
Jesus what is Jeph's problem?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

achillesforever6 posted:

Jesus what is Jeph's problem?
Jeph Loeb kind of lost it after his son died of bone cancer at 17 in 2005. It's like how Frank Miller went insane after 9/11, only a lot more personal.

That's probably a lot more serious and depressing of an answer than you were expecting for a question that boiled down to "Why does this guy make bad decisions about cartoons?"

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 8, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

They couldn't have used that money to make something else, like Plastic Man or something? The New Teen Titans shorts are okay and cute in small doses, but I can't imagine a full 30 minute series of them being anything but irritating.

I think a Plastic Man show would be even more obnoxious as a full series.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Jeph Loeb kind of lost it after his son died of bone cancer at 17 in 2005. It's like how Frank Miller went insane after 9/11, only a lot more personal.

That's probably a lot more serious and depressing of an answer than you were expecting for a question that boiled down to "Why does this guy make bad decisions about cartoons?"
I heard he wanted to quit the business, but Joe Quaesda convinced him to stay. Also I kind of knew about the son dying of cancer, but why would he cancel a show that had a good fanbase going?
E: There was a Plastic Man pilot made and I think it's pretty good actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn74McRwEg0

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 9, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

I heard he wanted to quit the business, but Joe Quaesda convinced him to stay. Also I kind of knew about the son dying of cancer, but why would he cancel a show that had a good fanbase going?

I believe there was some interview where he mentioned it's so they can maintain inter-show continuity with Ultimate Spider-Man and get the roster closer to the movie line-up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

EMH could certainly have gotten a worse fate. 52 episodes is better than what a lot of shows get. Why, that's twice what Spectacular Spider-man got :smith:

Hopefully the writers took into account that the original order was only for two seasons and pull off a good ending.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Srice posted:

EMH could certainly have gotten a worse fate. 52 episodes is better than what a lot of shows get. Why, that's twice what Spectacular Spider-man got :smith:

Hopefully the writers took into account that the original order was only for two seasons and pull off a good ending.
Doubt it. From what I've heard, Jeph managed to poo poo up the back half of Season 2 as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I believe there was some interview where he mentioned it's so they can maintain inter-show continuity with Ultimate Spider-Man and get the roster closer to the movie line-up.

Why couldn't they have just made Ultimate Spider-Man to be in continuity with EMH?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Macrame_God posted:

So, word has it that they're bringing Teen Titans back in 2013 as Teen Titans Go and this time it's going to be a straight up comedy. As much as I liked TT, I really think they should have just kept it retired. Personally, I would have rather seen them try and reinvent the franchise all together.

I'd be okay with it if they keep that anime poo poo out of it (hopefully the awful animu fad has completely blown by at this point) and make it like say, a DC version of Superhero Squad. It'd be a bit superfluous with Young Justice being around though, wouldn't it? Don't tell me they're going to cancel YJ, I still haven't gotten over Brave and the Bold's untimely death. :ohdear:

achillesforever6 posted:

I think it suffers from the unfortunate case of living up to Spectacular Spiderman.

Is... it bad that I didn't like Spectacular Spider-Man?
I just couldn't get how hideous the character designs were in that show.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 9, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

Is... it bad that I didn't like Spectacular Spider-Man?
I just couldn't get how hideous the character designs were in that show.
The animation team had to choose between detailed character designs, and something that looked good in motion. They chose right. Spider-Man is all about fluid movement, and having complex character designs and a kid's cartoon budget are not conducive to that.

Also the dialogue is amazing, as is the fact that they made Liz Allan an actual character.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Why couldn't they have just made Ultimate Spider-Man to be in continuity with EMH?

Well, because EMH has Iron Fist and Luke Cage as grown men and USM has them as teens hangin' with Spidey. Other than that, I don't really know! Unless you mean why couldn't they have made it that way from development, in which case, your guess is as good as mine.

Alternate tinfoil hat theory: USM is produced by Paul Dini and Brian Bendis, who have an incredible amount of sway at Marvel, and as we all know, are supervillains.

Comedy answer: Marvel hates Joshua Fine (producer of EMH). Seriously, look at his resume! The guy worked on both Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine and the X-Men. He's like, cursed to have any shows he works on canceled before a 3rd season or something. Although, he was involved with that teenage Iron Man cartoon, so maybe his curse is deserved.

e: Holy poo poo, looking up things for that joke, did you know that teenage Iron Man show is still around? It's not canceled! There was apparently a new episode on Wednesday! My mind is reeling.

VVV: Oh, never actually seen it. I didn't figure anything with a teenage Iron Man could be good, so I pretty much took the first negative review I read as gospel truth. I guess I'll have to give it a try sometime.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 9, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If you're talking about Iron Man Armored Adventures, it's actually surprisingly good despite basically being Iron Man Babies and all.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Man Beast Wars has not aged well at all. At least it's nice to see the show in its entirety though.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Neo Helbeast posted:

Man Beast Wars has not aged well at all. At least it's nice to see the show in its entirety though.

What the hell was Beast Wars? I think you mean BEASTIES

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Zeeman posted:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Beast_Wars_Transformers/70176988?trkid=8379860

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zeeman posted:

So sad that Canada made Beast Wars and wasn't even allowed to call it by its proper name.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So in Hey Arnold, Helga's mom is a pillhead/drunk isn't she?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah she's an alcoholic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sockser posted:

Yeah she's an alcoholic.

Was it ever like, actually called out? I've just been watching some old episodes since they're on some days at like 2 am and I never realized she was constantly in bed or slurring around or the like.

Hey Arnold had some grim rear end moments, didn't they do a big thing about the Vietnamese dude trying to find his daughter he lost contact with because of the war?

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
There's other examples but the most prominent one is her making her "smoothies".

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Macrame_God posted:

So, word has it that they're bringing Teen Titans back in 2013 as Teen Titans Go and this time it's going to be a straight up comedy. As much as I liked TT, I really think they should have just kept it retired. Personally, I would have rather seen them try and reinvent the franchise all together.
        /
I couldn't let you say this without pointing out your avatar, Macrame

Also with how GRIMDARK!!! Young Justice is, DC needs a lighter show.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cardboard Box A posted:

Also with how GRIMDARK!!! Young Justice is, DC needs a lighter show.

All the characters they would use for a re-imagined Teen Titans are all showing up in Young Justice anyway. It just would have been weird.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm surprised to see no posts about Gravity Falls, which is a new show starting on the Disney channel at the end of the month. I'm interested in it because the show's creator, Alex Hirsch was a writer for Flapjack and worked alongside Penn Ward on some really great episodes (including the mermaid wishes and the guardian angel episodes!). Is anybody else looking forward to it?

Glitterbomber posted:

Hey Arnold had some grim rear end moments

Yep.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, has anybody dared to stare into the abyss and watch the Annoying Orange show?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TwoPair posted:

So, has anybody dared to stare into the abyss and watch the Annoying Orange show?

I would rather shove molten dicks into my eyes and ears.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Glitterbomber posted:

Hey Arnold had some grim rear end moments, didn't they do a big thing about the Vietnamese dude trying to find his daughter he lost contact with because of the war?
Yeah, that was the Christmas episode. At least it ends on a happy note. :unsmith:

TwoPair posted:

Never.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Anyone rember Robotomy? Wouldn't it be great if that was still on instead of Angry Orange?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

an_mutt posted:

I'm surprised to see no posts about Gravity Falls, which is a new show starting on the Disney channel at the end of the month. I'm interested in it because the show's creator, Alex Hirsch was a writer for Flapjack and worked alongside Penn Ward on some really great episodes (including the mermaid wishes and the guardian angel episodes!). Is anybody else looking forward to it?

I gotta admit, I'm vaguely looking forward to it. Also, am I the only one who things that the character designs look vaguely like the humans in Regular Show?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Dr Christmas posted:

Anyone rember Robotomy? Wouldn't it be great if that was still on instead of Angry Orange?

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Problem Solverz.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

What was this?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

DivisionPost posted:

What was this?
I'm looking a bit like an idiot now because I can't find any real source but I'm pretty sure it's a metaphor for suicide, considering his big speech at the end about "going away" and how he doesn't understand why he's different. Considering Hey! Arnold for the most part is pretty grounded in reality for a cartoon series and that most of the bizarre stuff that happens in the series turns out to have a plausible reason, the Pigeon Man episode pretty much just ends with him flying off into the sun.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

TwoPair posted:

It's awful. I demand compensation. I demand RESTITUTION!

It's like they knew what was wrong with MAD, and decided to build a whole show around it.

Gravity Falls has Kristen Schaal! Whom I love as Louis on Bob's Burgers, and her stint on 30 Rock, and her crazy rear end parts on The Daily Show.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.

TwoPair posted:

I think it's safe to assume that it's definitely not worth checking out, and that I feel sorry for people who are cursed with such curiosity.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Annoying Orange is supposed to be a Kaufman-esque style show about comedy and modern society as a whole.

In otherwords if you watch it and enjoy it at face value, you are not watching it properly. It's a show that's ment to piss you off, it's ment to have terrible jokes, it's supposed to make you get up and turn off the TV. That's the entire point of the show, to control the audience by alienating them. People will have predictable negative reactions and the show plays towards this predictable negativity.

For example someone showed you the entire season of Annoying orange and you shot them multiple times. Now you're going to jail, but the show itself delivered such feelings of effective hatred that had real life consiquences on it's audience, proving the show has power over you.

This is the point of annoying orange this is the reason why it exists.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vaerai Archon posted:

Annoying Orange is supposed to be a Kaufman-esque style show about comedy and modern society as a whole.

In otherwords if you watch it and enjoy it at face value, you are not watching it properly. It's a show that's ment to piss you off, it's ment to have terrible jokes, it's supposed to make you get up and turn off the TV. That's the entire point of the show, to control the audience by alienating them. People will have predictable negative reactions and the show plays towards this predictable negativity.

For example someone showed you the entire season of Annoying orange and you shot them multiple times. Now you're going to jail, but the show itself delivered such feelings of effective hatred that had real life consiquences on it's audience, proving the show has power over you.

This is the point of annoying orange this is the reason why it exists.

So it's like Bertolt Brecht for youtube?

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Gravity Falls is hilarious and really feels a lot like Regular Show. I hope Disney treats it well, because it looks like they have another hit on their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mobo85 posted:

Gravity Falls is hilarious and really feels a lot like Regular Show. I hope Disney treats it well, because it looks like they have another hit on their hands.

Is Kristen Schaal the girl?