Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Splizwarf posted:

Cabals; it's heavily freemium but that's consistent with M:tG, right? :v:

Rage of Bahamut got mentioned in the reviews for Cabals. Looks pretty similar in that it's also a card game.

Other than being by mobage, anyone have any reviews or opinions on either of the games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I found Cabals to be fun as poo poo right up until it was unplayable unless I spent money. If they sold a standalone single-player version (like the XBox Live version of M:tG) I'd spend $10 on it right now, the gameplay is satisfyingly complex and the setting is really interesting.

The trouble is it's got a classic "arcade ramp"; all of a sudden the enemy strength hits the roof and you've got to put in some quarters just to keep going (in this case buying packs of cards to get back on an even footing with the AI).

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

rotaryfun posted:

Rage of Bahamut got mentioned in the reviews for Cabals. Looks pretty similar in that it's also a card game.

Other than being by mobage, anyone have any reviews or opinions on either of the games?

Rage of Bahamut had pretty artwork but poo poo gameplay; I tried to force myself to play it for a few days but ultimately it's just not fun.

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass
Well, there's always this to scratch your MtG itch (warning: the user interface will make you want to throw your phone into a wall)

http://wololo.net/download/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Splizwarf posted:

I turned out have this issue (Nook Tablet running CM7) and no amount of tapping, double-tapping, or long-pressing will select a dude a lot of the time. Usually the buttons work on the second or third tap. There's also no way to exit the app (on an iPad port? shocking), it's a permanent wakelock unless killed from Manage Apps or similar.
I had the unresponsive problem for the length of the tutorial (twice, since I backed out at the end but before finishing once, and had to do it over) basically, and then it went away and hasn't returned, which happened to coincide with me figuring out how to play the game. I've certainly played games which were less responsive, Wesnoth is particularly hard to play on my phone for instance. :(

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I just want to throw out there that my Mobage account is natezorblack, and I've been enjoying rage of bahamut. Kind of reminds me of the good times on some early facebook games, before they got mind numbingly tedious and required you to constantly beg your friends for stupid garbage. Anyone else playing rage of bahamut should add me as a "fellow" or whatever.

I guess what I'm enjoying out of it is finding new cards and seeing new art when I evolve cards (sometimes it's more like "new" art because they palette swap some things, but usually the final form is satisfyingly new). So yeah, nothing too tactical at this point, but I barely have any cards and I'm not very high level so I can't speak too much about any mid or end game material that may exist. Also the stuff you pay for is pretty expensive, but I haven't felt any kind of need to resort to buying anything.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Only played the first couple of levels so far, but the artwork in Oscura is pretty impressive. Silhouette graphics style games have been done to death already I know, but visually I still think they look awesome.

You're just jumping around collecting stuff and avoiding enemies, but whatever, it's a platformer... enjoyable enough. Controls are fine, different to normal for a touchscreen platformer but perfectly usable. So far, looks to be like it'll be good fun.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What Kairo games are like Grand Prix Story? It's probably my favorite Android game overall, but I keep trying other Kairo games like Academy and the presentation is a lot different (and often hideously more complex + less explained/intuitive).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
What do you like about Grand Prix vs the others? I think Pocket Clothier is really solid, and most everything carries over for New Game+ making it a lot of fun. It's also got pretty decent tutorials and is intuitive otherwise. The only things I think are awkward is the penalty you pay when you have over 100k and lots of stock every March, but that's a late-game or second game issue. The other awkward thing is the requirements for getting Showcases and Large Shelves/Racks, which to be fair there are usually things like that semi-hidden in the games anyways.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Splizwarf posted:

What Kairo games are like Grand Prix Story? It's probably my favorite Android game overall, but I keep trying other Kairo games like Academy and the presentation is a lot different (and often hideously more complex + less explained/intuitive).

Game Dev Story is the closest to Grand Prix Story in complexity and mechanics.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Game Dev and Pocket League are closest to Grand Prix.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Pocket League is probably the closest if you're looking for something where you watch your team/car perform after tweaking it

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Lege posted:

(warning: the user interface will make you want to throw your phone into a wall)

That isn't a joke. Jesus christ.

wololo
Jun 14, 2012

Lege posted:

Well, there's always this to scratch your MtG itch (warning: the user interface will make you want to throw your phone into a wall)

Hello, I am the creator of Wagic, and this is my first post here.

Sorry in advance for the long "commercial like" post, but I would be sad if people stopped playing after a few seconds just because of the not-so-great interface (I admit it really sucks for now on Android :/ ).

I am asking people who are willing to give the game a try, to try hard and go beyond the current interface limitations. You will not find any other MTG game (official or unofficial) on Android or iOS that is so close to the real experience. After a few games, I can guarantee the depth of Wagic overcomes the interface limitations.

The game supports 80% of the Magic cards (9500 out of 12500), a number that few similar games (including official ones except MTG Online) can compare to. On Mobile and tablets, Wagic is years ahead of any other comparable freeware. Not only that, the game provides much more than a simple MTG simulation. It is entirely built on simple text files that allow you to add new cards, or create entirely new games (for example there is a warcraft-like mod where you start with one unit that needs to build other units...). It also has a cool unlock mechanism that makes the gaming experience much more enjoyable than most other freeware card games.

The Android/iOS port is extremely new (a few months) compared to the PSP/Windows version. This game is actually a port of the PSP version, and was initially much more adapted to a device with buttons (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CWaaY-c7E for an early version of the game running on Xperia play)

This, to some extent, explains the current UI.

We of course welcome constructive criticism, but we'd really prefer patches :). The project is open source ( http://code.google.com/p/wagic/ ), so if you have experience in Android development and are interested, drop me an email or a PM. We have tons of projects (including multiplayer) and not enough hands :)

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

wololo posted:

Sorry in advance for the long "commercial like" post, but I would be sad if people stopped playing after a few seconds just because of the not-so-great interface (I admit it really sucks for now on Android :/ ).

I am asking people who are willing to give the game a try, to try hard and go beyond the current interface limitations. You will not find any other MTG game (official or unofficial) on Android or iOS that is so close to the real experience. After a few games, I can guarantee the depth of Wagic overcomes the interface limitations.

The game supports 80% of the Magic cards (9500 out of 12500), a number that few similar games (including official ones except MTG Online) can compare to. On Mobile and tablets, Wagic is years ahead of any other comparable freeware. Not only that, the game provides much more than a simple MTG simulation. It is entirely built on simple text files that allow you to add new cards, or create entirely new games (for example there is a warcraft-like mod where you start with one unit that needs to build other units...). It also has a cool unlock mechanism that makes the gaming experience much more enjoyable than most other freeware card games.

The Android/iOS port is extremely new (a few months) compared to the PSP/Windows version. This game is actually a port of the PSP version, and was initially much more adapted to a device with buttons (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CWaaY-c7E for an early version of the game running on Xperia play)

This, to some extent, explains the current UI.

We of course welcome constructive criticism, but we'd really prefer patches :). The project is open source ( http://code.google.com/p/wagic/ ), so if you have experience in Android development and are interested, drop me an email or a PM. We have tons of projects (including multiplayer) and not enough hands :)

I love the idea of this, but it doesn't work on my Transformer Prime and I'm no programmer :( I can get started, but I can't see my hand of cards to actually play, and after a minute or two of poking around trying to get it to show up, it stops responding and I have to force close it. I hope some good android programmers help you out with it though, what an amazing idea for an app!

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

wololo posted:

I'll second what Greggy said... The interface sucks, but now that you explain that it's more for PSP, I get why. I'm sure there are devs out there who would get on board with this. I like the expandable nature of it. Card art would be cool too, but I can see how that may run into copyright issues, so its absence makes sense.

Keep us posted for sure.

EDIT - just to clarify, I didn't have a crash like Greggy did, but then again I didn't play long. Preset decks would be a good easy addition for players who aren't really well versed on MTG.

I would put card games like this in the same bucket as turn based strategies such (like advanced wars) where I'd like to see a real solid title that does turn based notification style multiplayer ala words with friends.

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 14, 2012

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004
I've had wagic installed for at least a few months, and once you get used to the interface its great for those occasional mtg urges.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Max Payne Mobile is finally out for Android for about $3 bucks and 1.4 GB of your phone's memory.

For those concerned about how it plays, I played a couple of the starting chapters on my Galaxy Nexus and it runs really well, and I also think the controls are surprisingly good. Precision shooting is fiddly, but there's optional auto-aim options that alleviate that. The constipated face Max has looks worse than ever though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

wololo posted:

I see someone read the OP. Registered same day as posting just to advertise his product. OP specifically says not to.

---

I really like Pocket Clothier, I wish though that I could zoom out a little in game as clicking on the item spaces on the edges of the screen is a little difficult and usually causes the screen to switch over.

Whats the best way to not pay taxes to? I use all Large Shelves and Racks and set everything to Stock 5 order 60.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

SlayVus posted:

I see someone read the OP. Registered same day as posting just to advertise his product. OP specifically says not to.

I'm not sure it counts as advertising since he posted specifically to respond to people who were already talking about the app.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

SlayVus posted:

That isn't advertising, he was joining the conversation we were already having about his game.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

wololo posted:

First off, welcome. Enjoy our forums, you may find quite a few resources here that can benefit you.

I have played Wagic on my PSP for years and love it. I am currently selling my real card collection off because we do not play anymore and use Wagic on the PSP to get my fix when I need it. I did not know that you had an android app out so I will have to check it out.

I have a question.

Someone mentioned card art. I know in the PSP version you can manually add the card art and there is a good size group of people who make the sets available. Will this be a possibility in the Android App? Or is it already?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

mrkillboy posted:

Max Payne Mobile is finally out for Android for about $3 bucks and 1.4 GB of your phone's memory.

For those concerned about how it plays, I played a couple of the starting chapters on my Galaxy Nexus and it runs really well, and I also think the controls are surprisingly good. Precision shooting is fiddly, but there's optional auto-aim options that alleviate that. The constipated face Max has looks worse than ever though.
I'll test it out on my Galaxy Player before I buy it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

mrkillboy posted:

I picked this up to play on my Galaxy Tab 7 Plus, and it runs really nicely on max settings. I'm on chapter 7 now I think, no problems - though I do recommend changing a lot of the settings and rearranging the touchscreen controls. Eventually you'll get it the way you like it, but I don't think I could get far with the default settings.

Manky fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 14, 2012

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Trying to Download the data for Max Payne Mobile has been really harsh on my Galaxy Player. My battery is Critically Low and it's been charging off my computer's USB this whole time.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zedicus Mann posted:

Trying to Download the data for Max Payne Mobile has been really harsh on my Galaxy Player. My battery is Critically Low and it's been charging off my computer's USB this whole time.

Use a wall charger so that it will charge at 1 amp instead of 500ma.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

Use a wall charger so that it will charge at 1 amp instead of 500ma.
I plugged it into the wall now. Going to let it charge up a little bit before trying again.

So now my problem with Max Payne Mobile is that it stops downloading at I don't know how many files worth 70MB and goes back to 6 files worth 393MB saying it lost internet connection.

I have paid for this app too.
I guess I should get in contact with Rockstar about that.

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 14, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zedicus Mann posted:

Just to second that I don't trust USB for anything but keeping my battery from draining while I'm listening to podcasts. Gotta go with the wall plug.. Takes overnight to fully charge my phone from USB, or like 40 minutes from the wall. :(

On the same note I thought I'd lost the AC Adapter for my Transformer and was super pissed, because 1A android phone charger plugs DO NOT push enough current to charge the tablet unless it's been fully shut down and left alone for like 12 hours.. But I found it! :D

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Okay, so Max Payne Mobile is downloading the extra data to the 5GB internal memory and not to my 32 GB SD card with 26GB free.
Why? :argh:

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 15, 2012

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Zedicus Mann posted:

Okay, so Max Payne Mobile is downloading the extra data to the 5GB internal memory and not to my 32 GB SD card with 26GB free.

Is the app itself on the card or internal memory?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

moms pubis posted:

Is the app itself on the card or internal memory?
I had it moved to the card, I thought.
I'm trying it all over again right now.

Still downloading the extra data to the internal storage.

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 15, 2012

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zedicus Mann posted:

I guess I shouldn't get it on the Nexus S (1GB 'internal' memory) ;)

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

OddObserver posted:

I guess I shouldn't get it on the Nexus S (1GB 'internal' memory) ;)
1.3 GB of data it downloads.

Slow and Serious
Mar 20, 2007

It runs ok.
For fans of physical activity, the popular iPhone exercise game Zombies, Run! landed on the market today. It's 200MB and the price is a bit more than I'm used to paying but it seems like a fun way to work on cardio. The only thing that I don't like so far is that its built in music player does not support integration with Google Play Music.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

SlayVus posted:

Whats the best way to not pay taxes to? I use all Large Shelves and Racks and set everything to Stock 5 order 60.

The only way I can think of to get around taxes is to stop ordering goods starting say Dec/Jan and just letting stock on hand run out, so that when March rolls around you're basically empty all over. And then after the tax passes you by without hitting you, go back to ordering up (probably with an additional extra order to help get you back up) and operate normally the rest of the year. Otherwise you're going to be stuck paying $300k+ every year just because you use Large Racks and have a little bit of stock on hand.

[Edit] Just tried this, my profits were pretty normal for the months I wasn't ordering, but I still had so much overstock I had to pay $458k in taxes. Maybe at this point in the game you need to stop auto stocking and just order early in the year a gently caress ton of everything and try and get it moved by the time March rolls around again.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 15, 2012

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

Trastion posted:

I know in the PSP version you can manually add the card art and there is a good size group of people who make the sets available. Will this be a possibility in the Android App? Or is it already?

Yes, you can do that for the Android version. I had all of the art added to my TF101 before I wiped it a couple of months ago during the ICS upgrade. I'm sorry but I don't remember anything about how to do it except it being kind of a pain in the rear end and quite a bit of manual work to download all of the files.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I've really been trying to get into Pocket Clothier, but I just feel very :geno: about it. I turn it on, poke around a bit, and just don't feel the same draw I have for the other Kairosoft titles.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Slow and Serious posted:

For fans of physical activity, the popular iPhone exercise game Zombies, Run! landed on the market today. It's 200MB and the price is a bit more than I'm used to paying but it seems like a fun way to work on cardio. The only thing that I don't like so far is that its built in music player does not support integration with Google Play Music.

I watched the video and thought "sweet, I'll pay a buck for that!" Then I clicked the market link and was disappointed.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I need some serious help trying to install baldurs gate 2 with gemrb. I reinstalled it on my comp, full install for SoA and ToB. SOmetiems I can't see the gemrb folder in my app data folder, sometimes I do but dont see the gemrb files inside, just the folders, the files are just labelled local disk. Also when I try to copy, sometimes it will stop the copy transfer, usually towards the end, saying that a file couldnt be copied because the device was disconnected or stopped responding. I have an asus transformer, the kind with ice cream sandwich. Also, I dont copy the .exe's and stuff, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh God drat it, another Kairosoft game already? I still haven't even finished one entire game of Dungeon, Pocket League, or Academy (to be fair, I started over in Dungeon after 10 years because I hosed up and all my heroes were getting one-shotted by literally everything).

And yet I know I'll buy it because I love clothes. :allears:

• Locked thread