Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Rasamune posted:

I see two different possibilities:
1) This is a vision of Kat's real identity, either what she is or what she will one day become.
2) This is simply a metaphorical vision of the way that the robots perceive her – which might mean that the ether is affected by the collective consciousness of the robots just as much as by living beings.

I think #2 is more likely, but either one is cool for its own reasons.

I like one of the theories on the Gunnerkrigg forums:

This is a future vision of what Kat will become, a psychopomp for robotkind.

Edit: Or perhaps she's already a psychopomp, and this is just how she looks in the aether now?

Willias fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Maybe Kat is working on her Lady of Pain cosplay?

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Boneless Jogger posted:

Well god drat, no wonder Zimmy is terrified. :stonk:

But yeah, I think this is how the robots see Kat too.

Refresh my memory... where is this coming from?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

AE-35 Unit posted:

Welcome to Gigerkrigg Court. :stare:

This. :stare:

The page is absolutely gorgeous.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

juniperjones posted:

The robots perceive Kat as an angel, in at least the metaphorical sense.

Angels, traditionally, are both beautiful and terrifying in their appearance.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This shocked the crap out of me when I read it this morning. here was I expecting lightheartedly brutal Zimmy putdowns, and instead, awesome robot angel.

Tea-San, never stop.

TinfoilHate
Nov 19, 2003

What the hell is wrong
with you people?
futureKat is what happens when man's bid to become god succeeds.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

juniperjones posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=639

edit: and more relevant to this chapter, a divine being

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 13, 2012

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Actually it goes even further back.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=223

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
Hey there sure are a lot of new posts in the Gunnerkrigg Court thread! First I better check the update to see what they're talking ab--

HOLY gently caress. :stare:

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
Metal angel Kat makes all these pages look much more terrifying interesting:

haha! aww! :stare:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The thing on Angel-Kat's chest reminds me more of the sky watcher bug than a bird, really.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Sadly the change is permanent and this is how Kat will be drawn for the rest of the comic. :v:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fatkraken posted:

I want to see how Zimmy would perceive Coyote.

Considering Annie's fairly tame Ethervision shows Coyote as something magnificent and terrifying, I suspect that Zimmy just straight-up refuses to go into the forest.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Sadly the change is permanent and this is how Kat will be drawn for the rest of the comic. :v:

What do you mean by "sadly?" :colbert:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Nettle Soup posted:

I have no objections to this. Actually, I'd really love it if we saw Kat in Zimmyvision in some active panels. Given how time-consuming this (absolutely stunning) page must have been, though, I doubt that will happen. Unless Tom can keep this level of detail in smaller panels, it would probably lessen the impact of this page somewhat.

But seriously, Elesh Kat is really incredible, this is a great page.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

The Lord of Hats posted:

I have no objections to this. Actually, I'd really love it if we saw Kat in Zimmyvision in some active panels.

I'm hoping for at least one panel of Fire Sprite and Robornithangel together before the chapter's out.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Rasamune posted:

I'm hoping for at least one panel of Fire Sprite and Robornithangel together before the chapter's out.

The next Treatise is going to look amazing. :D

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

That just popped a crazy theory in my head. Future Kat created the Tic Tocs and using a magic/science ethereal machine sent them back in time to watch over not only Annie but all previous iterations of the fire elemental. This is because something happens in the future that will jeopardize the existence of Annie. My guess will be something that Anthony Carver will do. But since Kat can't be sure of the exact location of Annie and the previous fire elementals she creates a mass quantity of them so they can watch over the whole court.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Revolver Bunker posted:

That just popped a crazy theory in my head. Future Kat created the Tic Tocs and using a magic/science ethereal machine sent them back in time to watch over not only Annie but all previous iterations of the fire elemental. This is because something happens in the future that will jeopardize the existence of Annie. My guess will be something that Anthony Carver will do. But since Kat can't be sure of the exact location of Annie and the previous fire elementals she creates a mass quantity of them so they can watch over the whole court.

I've seen this theory pop up in a couple of places on the net, and the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Hey Tea-san, what was it like knowing you were about to post something that would make a small portion of the internet explode?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm... Another bit of food for thought here. Zimmy has been described by Reynard as a demon. Kat has a cult of robots that believes her to be an angel. Kat finds Zimmy repellent, but Zimmy finds her terrifying. Food for thought.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I started reading this to find out where all the avatars were coming from,Then I couldn't stop. I read the whole thing over two days. The only thing I can say is wow,this is the best web comic I ever read. Now I'm disappointed I'll actually have to wait for updates.

EDIT-I remember seeing a portrait or painting like this before but hell if I can remember it or who painted it.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 14, 2012

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Man Whore posted:

I started reading this to find out where all the avatars were coming from,Then I couldn't stop. I read the whole thing over two days. The only thing I can say is wow,this is the best web comic I ever read. Now I'm disappointed I'll actually have to wait for updates.

If it's any consolation, you probably picked the best time to have caught up since the end of Fire Spike.

I caught up at the end of Faraway Morning, myself.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I caught up during Fire Spike. Do you have any idea how bad it was to go from binging to not knowing how that would be resolved?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zimmy's been shown to be able to glimpse the future before (See: her vision of Sivo/Reynardine before she came to the court). I'm going to go with a less horrifying possibility and guess that this is how the Robots will remember Kat in 500 years or so. Big statue to her in the middle of Robotopia.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I caught up on page 3 or 4 of the current chapter. I hold that that was the loving worst, because it's just, sweet, gotta see where this poo poo's going! Oh gently caress she's in a hospital bed in a coma! Wait why is the "next" button gray? Noooooooo!

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Man Whore posted:

EDIT-I remember seeing a portrait or painting like this before but hell if I can remember it or who painted it.

It kind of reminded me of this guy:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Esme posted:

It kind of reminded me of this guy:

Yeah,that's the closest one that immediately came to mind but i'm sure I saw something before closer than that.
It's funny because at first I thought the comic had mediocre art then I saw the clowns in chapter 4 and realized he can draw just fine and the characters were just stylized.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

One of the most enjoyable things about this comic is watching the art improve over time.

yeah,that kind of messed with my head since I read it all so quick.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 14, 2012

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Man Whore posted:

It's funny because at first I thought the comic had mediocre art then I saw the clowns in chapter 4 and realized he can draw just fine.

One of the most enjoyable things about this comic is watching the art improve over time.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I caught up on this page. Yeah, that was a rough couple of days.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Couldn't stand it any longer and got a Gunnertar. I hope nobody else is using this one (if so lemme know, and I'll get it changed). At least, nobody is as far as the avatar post and my memory goes.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
After i read the "Kat is an angel and built the tic toc theory"... My mind is blown. I LOVE this comic. But I found the transition between the last 4 pages to be extremely jarring. It doesn't seem to flow well to me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:stare:

... poster.

Tea-san, money, my wallet, take it, poster, need, Bleagh!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm just gonna go on the record and say that the time-traveling Tic-Toc theory would be terrible. Going back in time is one of The Worst Plot Devices and I hate it because it's nearly impossible to do well, yet tons of hack writers love it to pieces because then they can have dramatic events without lasting consequences. Even if done decently, you inevitably wind up either having a bunch of arbitrary restrictions on why it can't happen every time there's a problem or you just deconstruct the entire plotline and throw causality out the window. The latter is about the only way I'll accept it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All I can say is that I'm glad that Tom is writing this comic and not some of the people in this thread.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Tom has started answering questions in his Formspring again, and he actually has a few answers for what the heck is going on with the current page (spoilered in case you don't want to know):

quote:

> so would that be ketrak then? looks rather insect-like
No, that is what Kat looks like to Zimmy

> Did Zimmy always see Kat like this, for example in the earlier chapters, or is it a more resent thing?
Yup, she's always had a problem with Kat.

> Does Annie see Kat the same way in the ether or in the new page specific to Zimmy-vision?
No, Kat just looks like Kat to Annie.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Mr.Radar posted:

Tom has started answering questions in his Formspring again, and he actually has a few answers for what the heck is going on with the current page (spoilered in case you don't want to know):

Man he had to go and mention chapter 28. Now I just spent like a hour reading this wonderful comic some more. I have things to do! No I don't

Ever time I read the story and see that monorail car, I think to myself "Oh hey it's Blaine! Hope he doesn't kill everybody he he he." and then scroll down and see I've forgotten that Tom made that joke already. Every single time.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mr.Radar posted:

Heh! Typical that Tom picks up on the mis-spelling of recent to mke his answer enigmatic as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

1stGear posted:

I caught up on this page. Yeah, that was a rough couple of days.

That was the current page when I started reading it. Caught up 1 page later, of course. The first friend I got into it ended up catching up during Fire Spike.