Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Everything old is new again; we've been discovering the Tiger beatdown post every half-year or so and it's never not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

whowhatwhere posted:

Jon is acting like a guy defending against an apocalyptic enemy. His idiocy has nothing to do with Ned but with believing everyone else gets how bad the Others are. His idiotic acts are threefold: 1) PR (which as you said Sam covered, but then he was really the only person Jon could send to be a maester) 2) sending as many people as he did to that village north of the wall (which was made to save lives, gain reinforcements, and deny more bodies to the Others, and was not an Eddard-style honor-driven decision) 3) the Arya thing, where he goes against everything he's been building towards because it's his sister and she's being held by Ramsay loving Snow. None of those are "acting like his father".

GRRM hasn't forgotten about Dany's goals, he had Dany's goals shift due to unforeseen circumstances in book 3. She's trying to keep the slaves she freed from being destroyed in the aftermath of her crusade.

Tyrion isn't GRRM forgetting anything, it's him taking way too loving long to get him back in the saddle.

As for deconstruction: that's what Jon, Dany and Tyrion's plotlines in ADWD are. You just don't like them because those deconstructions are stalling the forward momentum of the plot.

Exactly. I don't like any of these arcs in the book, but I can't deny their function.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
The only time I would accuse GRRM of resorting to a forced plot device is Renly's death, but he unfolded the consequences too well to find fault with it.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I didn't much care about Renly in the books but show Renly won my love with his smirking, "Is he a ham?" line. But looking back, yeah. Ned should've ran and should've sided with Renly or at least ran to Stannis. I can't really blame Robb as much. He was just a kid with retarded Stark genes. That makes him good at leading and good at winning fights but poo poo all at anything resembling sensible decisions or self-preservation.

Poor Robb. You make *one* decision with your dick and it's game over.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Bob Baratheon made every decision with his dick and ruled an empire for 15 years.

Robb Stark made one decision with his dick and died for it.

Bronn never made a decision with his dick and jumped up from nobody to powerful lord who can kill everyone and openly mock the queen without consequence.

Conclusion: if your boner is your guide, go whole hog.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
technically it wasn't the dick that hosed him, it was his kindness. Robert would have hosed her and then told her he'd send her a raven someday.

e: there's been too much book talk recently. Instead, I'd like to link you all to a metaphor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vfsHYiKY Which one is GRRM, which the audience and which Dan and David/HBO?

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 14, 2012

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Dany is never actually going to reach Westeros is she? It's the ultimate long-term troll, the side plot that was only vaguely connected with the rest of the story will never actually go anywhere. Dany dies of dysentery and her dragons are so blindsided by Ros' beauty that they accidentally fly into an active volcano. Also everyone starves to death because they've been too busy fighting each other instead of storing food for the upcoming long winter. Fantasy tropes subverted everywhere!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Dany finally makes it to Westeros in the first chapter of A Dream of Spring and then dies at the end the prologue.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

Dany finally makes it to Westeros in the first chapter of A Dream of Spring and then dies at the end the prologue.
After making GBS threads all over the port in question. It turns out her whole purpose was to bring the bloody flux to Westeros.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

I think the last book will prominently feature Drogon raping Cersei, then making GBS threads on her. Then, the cycle will be complete.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
this threads moving at a pretty food clip, but I've skipped most of the posts in the last 5 or so pages because drat thats a lot of words for ideas that most of which have already been expounded on at length AKA gently caress the Tower of Joi and Ly-Stark and Moonboy while we're at it, Step It Up Guys

Also now my google search history has "bigmcgaffney hodor dildo" in it so thats a thing that happened

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/9199/martin-talks-game-of-thrones-the-winds-of-winter.html

quote:

[W]ith additional season pickups likely considering the show's success, Martin is attempting to buckle down and finish his novels before HBO catches up.

"I'm working on that, and a number of 'Ice and Fire' related things at the same time," Martin recently said in an interview with HBO. "Not only 'The Winds of Winter,' which is Book 6, but we're also coming out with a big concordance called 'The World of Ice and Fire,' which is about the whole history of Westeros and will be lavishly illustrated. … We've also been doing a map book, and I'm working on a new novella about Dunk and Egg, the prequel series I have."

Martin admits his writing style is a slow process, especially with the size and complexity of his books.

"I am aware of the TV series moving along behind me like a giant locomotive, and I know I need to lay the track more quickly, perhaps, because the locomotive is soon going to be bearing down on me," he said. "The last thing I want is for the TV series to catch up with me. I've got a considerable head start, but production is moving faster than I can write. I'm hoping that we'll finish the story at about the same time ... we'll see.

"Sometimes I make the decisions wrongly. My process as a writer is not one of thoroughly outlining ahead of time, which can result in my muse leading me down blind alleys and dead ends. … So then I have to double back and rewrite and so forth. It's almost a subconscious thing -- when it's right, it feels right, and when it doesn't feel right, I keep niggling at it until it does."

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Why did you bold all those words but not the most important part?

quote:

[W]ith additional season pickups likely considering the show's success, Martin is attempting to buckle down and finish his novels before HBO catches up.

"I'm working on that, and a number of 'Ice and Fire' related things at the same time," Martin recently said in an interview with HBO. "Not only 'The Winds of Winter,' which is Book 6, but we're also coming out with a big concordance called 'The World of Ice and Fire,' which is about the whole history of Westeros and will be lavishly illustrated. … We've also been doing a map book, and I'm working on a new novella about Dunk and Egg, the prequel series I have."

Martin admits his writing style is a slow process, especially with the size and complexity of his books.

"I am aware of the TV series moving along behind me like a giant locomotive, and I know I need to lay the track more quickly, perhaps, because the locomotive is soon going to be bearing down on me," he said. "The last thing I want is for the TV series to catch up with me. I've got a considerable head start, but production is moving faster than I can write. I'm hoping that we'll finish the story at about the same time ... we'll see.

"Sometimes I make the decisions wrongly. My process as a writer is not one of thoroughly outlining ahead of time, which can result in my muse leading me down blind alleys and dead ends. … So then I have to double back and rewrite and so forth. It's almost a subconscious thing -- when it's right, it feels right, and when it doesn't feel right, I keep niggling at it until it does."

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ambiguatron posted:

The High Septon dude is the most populist thing we've seen so far, really. I'm not expecting the Englightenment to suddenly emerge in Westeros, that would be silly.

How is he populist? he seems like just another Player - running an inquisition while leveraging his people to the greatest advantage. Maybe his talk is populist, but I don't buy that at all...

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ambiguatron posted:

I think the last book will prominently feature Drogon raping Cersei, then making GBS threads on her. Then, the cycle will be complete.

Why stop there? I'm expecting a rape orgy involving the whole cast of alive, dead and undead characters all making GBS threads on each other.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

keiran_helcyan posted:

Dany is never actually going to reach Westeros is she?
Thanks to continental drift, Westeros is actually going to reach Dany first.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rurik posted:

Why did you bold all those words but not the most important part?

Bleh, I refuse to watch any season of the TV series that will spoil the books. Just no.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
GRRM plays the wild card reversal, book-readers live in fear of being spoiled by tv-watchers

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Bleh, I refuse to watch any season of the TV series that will spoil the books. Just no.

And if the series finishes years in advance of GRRM?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

In It For The Tank posted:

Dany finally makes it to Westeros in the epilogue of A Dream of Spring, after a time jump of however many years. King Rickon's Winterfell Dragon, Walnutar, promptly roasts her and her dragons. Everybody goes back to whatever they were doing.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
GRRM has nothing to worry about. He's going to get HBO to wild card TV viewers after the 4th season by having them somehow cancel the show.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

whowhatwhere posted:

Jon is acting like a guy defending against an apocalyptic enemy. His idiocy has nothing to do with Ned but with believing everyone else gets how bad the Others are. His idiotic acts are threefold: 1) PR (which as you said Sam covered, but then he was really the only person Jon could send to be a maester) 2) sending as many people as he did to that village north of the wall (which was made to save lives, gain reinforcements, and deny more bodies to the Others, and was not an Eddard-style honor-driven decision) 3) the Arya thing, where he goes against everything he's been building towards because it's his sister and she's being held by Ramsay loving Snow. None of those are "acting like his father".

GRRM hasn't forgotten about Dany's goals, he had Dany's goals shift due to unforeseen circumstances in book 3. She's trying to keep the slaves she freed from being destroyed in the aftermath of her crusade.

Tyrion isn't GRRM forgetting anything, it's him taking way too loving long to get him back in the saddle.

As for deconstruction: that's what Jon, Dany and Tyrion's plotlines in ADWD are. You just don't like them because those deconstructions are stalling the forward momentum of the plot.

He's acting exactly like Ned. He's focusing on the problems, and not the associated politics. The whole Stark thing is about doing right and assuming everyone will jump on board with you. This commonly ends poorly for them.

Blawrf
Oct 10, 2009

Hi, I'm Blawrf, and you can dock in my station anytime~~

Rowwr
Re-reading Storm of Swords 1, Sam Tarly says that Jon gave him various assorted bits of obsidian (from the Fist of the First Men) and a battered old horn. I didn't think anything of the horn from my first couple of read-throughs but huh, is that the Horn of Joramun?

Hidden with tons of obsidian so the Others couldn't find it etc?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And if the series finishes years in advance of GRRM?

GRRM's long con will be complete, having let someone else finish writing his story while he just gets to sit at home and eat lemoncakes,talk about football, and collect royalty checks.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I played Mount and Blade yesterday and realized I'd be the worst loving ASOIAF protagonist of all time.

GRRM hypothetically would have posted:

Commander Calculus then said, 'BRB guys I gotta take a piss.' 'But my Lord, our walls are almost breached and you loving wasted all the goddamn archers' ammo on three loving units clearly meant as cannon fodder.' 'Too bad I gotta take a piss.' And then the Lannisters murdered the gently caress out of all his soldiers while he was taking a piss. Then killed him and chopped of his dick while he took a piss and then fed his dick to Zombie-Gregor. The end.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Contra Calculus posted:

I played Mount and Blade yesterday and realized I'd be the worst loving ASOIAF protagonist of all time.

Im playing a knight named Stannis, Im killing everyone almost 6 to 1 or better every fight, Ive saved countless lords in the field andd lifted two sieges.....and all Im offerred is the most raided fief of all time and no one will marry me.

I love it.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Greatbacon posted:

GRRM's long con will be complete, having let someone else finish writing his story while he just gets to sit at home and eat lemoncakes,talk about football, and collect royalty checks.

If he came out and said he was treating the HBO series as the second draft of the books, so to speak, and would focus on that as a way to end the story because he lacks the energy and it allows him to correct the mistakes he made in plotting out the books, I wouldn't mind.

I'm sure someone at Bantam might poo poo a chicken, though.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Ambiguatron posted:

If he came out and said he was treating the HBO series as the second draft of the books, so to speak, and would focus on that as a way to end the story because he lacks the energy and it allows him to correct the mistakes he made in plotting out the books, I wouldn't mind.

He really should do this after the 4th season.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Im playing a knight named Stannis, Im killing everyone almost 6 to 1 or better every fight, Ive saved countless lords in the field andd lifted two sieges.....and all Im offerred is the most raided fief of all time and no one will marry me.

I love it.

Holy crap, that is "LARPier" than anything Skyrim will ever offer.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Ambiguatron posted:

Yeah, fairly sure he's under contract for 2 more books at least. Either he's going to keep writing or pay pretty much all the money the HBO show has made him I guess.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I love it.

That's why you launch rebellions and take over the entire loving continent :black101:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ambiguatron posted:

To each his own, but I would rather not have an ending than have to watch it on the show.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

The Unnamed One posted:

Holy crap, that is "LARPier" than anything Skyrim will ever offer.

It's the ultimate ASOIAF battle simulator: You can plot against people, fight against people, die like a loving idiot repeatedly, and get resurrected repeatedly. Graphics leave a lot to be desired, but this is the closest you're going to get to ASOIAF as a proper videogame if you don't like RTS games.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My perfect ASOIAF video game happens to be a dating simulator.

Choose your bride wisely, lest ye plunge the Seven Kingdoms into a neverending civil war.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I only spent an afternoon looking for one but is there a Mount and Blade mod that gives you the map and cities from ASOIAF? I remember reading about one that was being worked on where they were doing the map, city names and even changing the people's names but I recall they were doing a bunch of other dumb poo poo that they will likely never finish.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Urdnot Fire posted:

It's called gay erasure. The first scene of season 3 is Edd loving Ros' wildling cousin while recapping what happened at the Fist.

poo poo no, this is gay erasure.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

My perfect ASOIAF video game happens to be a dating simulator.

Choose your bride wisely, lest ye plunge the Seven Kingdoms into a neverending civil war.

That would own so hard.

Like the updated 90's "Mystery Date" with the telephone, only the messages come from a little plastic raven.

"You married a Westerling. The Freys are super pissed. Lose your head."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
*ring ring* This is your wife, I've eaten my fingers. Go back 3 spaces or trade places with homliest player.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Your lackwit wife has birthed a rape baby. What will you name the child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

"Rivers". :colbert: