Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Thoguh posted:

Since you haven't moved in they might cut you some slack, but since they don't have much time to find a new tenant I wouldn't count on it. The one time I was in a kind of similar situation (signed a lease and then got sent to another state for work about a week before I was supposed to move in) I ended up putting up an ad on Craigslist offering to pay half of the first month's rent to anybody who would take over the lease. That got things taken care of within a day or two.

Well, the place we're stuck in right now only became available yesterday, and we move in two weeks from now. We were the first people to look at it. The previous tenants moved out two weeks early, so that's how we were able to set it up early. At worst, they're out 3 days of tenant hunting. I'm just really pissed off at the landlord of the house we really want cockteasing us. Thanks for all the advice goons; at least I have a little hope left. The other house may be worth it if the penalties aren't steep.

Any specific advice on how to go about negotiating my way out? What can I use to my advantage? I like the idea of putting up a CL ad offering to pay a half month's rent, for example. If I'm out ~$500-$1000 one time, that's worth it to me for ~3 years of being in a better house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

FISHMANPET posted:

What kind of tools do you guys keep in your apartment? I've got way too much poo poo and trying to figure out what I can get rid of, and I've got quite a few tools.

A few years ago when I was in college I built a bar (which is now in a former roommates basement, still being used :smug:) and that involved quite a few tools. I've got a circular saw, reciprocating saw, two drills, a jig saw, a laminate trimmer, and a rather large tool box full of screws, nails, squares & triangles, etc etc.

So I'm thinking a small drill for all the Ikea furniture, a couple of sizes of screw drivers (phillips and and flat head), utility knife, hammer, needle-nose pliers, regular pliers, and adjustable wrench. Any thoughts?

That sounds about right. I pretty much just have those things, minus the knife, wrench, and drill... and I have wanted all three of those things multiple times, so they sound like keepers.

glompix posted:

Well, the place we're stuck in right now only became available yesterday, and we move in two weeks from now. We were the first people to look at it. The previous tenants moved out two weeks early, so that's how we were able to set it up early. At worst, they're out 3 days of tenant hunting. I'm just really pissed off at the landlord of the house we really want cockteasing us. Thanks for all the advice goons; at least I have a little hope left. The other house may be worth it if the penalties aren't steep.

Any specific advice on how to go about negotiating my way out? What can I use to my advantage? I like the idea of putting up a CL ad offering to pay a half month's rent, for example. If I'm out ~$500-$1000 one time, that's worth it to me for ~3 years of being in a better house.

Go talk to legal thread. We can give you anecdotes but they can look at the wording of your lease and tell you if you're out of luck or not.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have a lot of random tools from various projects sitting around. I'd say the tools I use the most are my power drill, screwdrivers, allen wrench set and box cutter.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I keep a tool for opening paint cans (I have no idea what it's called), but you can probably use a knife or screwdriver for that, and a paint roller. I have a couple saws, but I honestly can't remembe the last time I used them.

It's never a bad idea to keep a few dust masks on hand either.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00169254/

These are the only tools I have other than tools that I only use for fiddling with my bicycle.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xandu posted:

I keep a tool for opening paint cans (I have no idea what it's called),

Probably a paint key.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I started making a list and it turns out I have a ton of tools (even though I just thinned down - that meant going from something like 8 hammers and 10 screwdrivers to two and three respectively).

The one thing not mentioned I would seriously recommend is a level. It's a big help to making sure shelves and stuff go up straight.

You can probably get an app for this on your smartphone these days, but I love that little bubble.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ashcans posted:

The one thing not mentioned I would seriously recommend is a level. It's a big help to making sure shelves and stuff go up straight.

Good point. I would also add a tape measure to that list.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Whats the best way to get your landlord to help with stuff thats nice but not required maitence. My sink doesn't have a disposal in it. I don't need one but it would be nice if I had one.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

blakout posted:

Whats the best way to get your landlord to help with stuff thats nice but not required maitence. My sink doesn't have a disposal in it. I don't need one but it would be nice if I had one.

Offer to pay for it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

blakout posted:

Offer to buy it and install it yourself and ask for the cost of the disposal (and the cost to install it if you hire someone to do it) to be deducted from that month's rent. That's what I did when my tenants wanted things that I agreed would be nice to have in the apartment but didn't feel like dealing with myself.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Any advice on getting out of a lease gracefully? There's not a word in the thing about breaking it. Is this more of a legal question?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

Any advice on getting out of a lease gracefully? There's not a word in the thing about breaking it. Is this more of a legal question?

Going to depend on your state. A lot require at least 30 days of notice prior to moving out.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yeah, try the legal guys. Chances are you're going to pay through the nose though.

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.

Grumpwagon posted:

2 questions about my gooncave.

First, I live in a (rented) older house. A strange, yellow-orange discoloration has started to appear on my bathroom ceiling. I asked maintenance about it, and they said it wasn't mold, and was nothing to worry about. They're pretty lazy though, so I want a second opinion. Apologies for the camera phone pictures, I can probably find a better camera if needed. Any idea what this stuff is?

That my friend is ceiling grime and condensation from the shower. In other words, wash your walls and ceiling. Your place probably housed a smoker at one time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I get the same discoloration on my bathroom walls. The contours of the old beat up walls channel the condensation from the shower into areas that turn into unsightly deposits when the water evaporates.

It comes off easily with the right solvent.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Wow, I just called Mayflower and asked for a ballpark quote on moving a 2br (but more like a 1br amount of stuff) from St. Louis to Baltimore. They said full service would be 1400-1500 for 2100 pounds while the pod-type service would be over 2000.

I was surprised, I thought we'd be looking at more than that. Also I don't understand how their pod service would be more, it seems incomprehensible.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Doghouse posted:

I was surprised, I thought we'd be looking at more than that. Also I don't understand how their pod service would be more, it seems incomprehensible.

From my experience with ABF's pod-type service, the extra money is from hiring two moving crews instead of just one. What ABF does is you pay for the pod and the truck driver who drives it from point A to point B, pay for a local moving crew at your place to load the truck, then pay for another moving crew at your destination. It cost me $2500 to move about the same amount of stuff from Virginia to Texas.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Mean Bean posted:

That my friend is ceiling grime and condensation from the shower. In other words, wash your walls and ceiling. Your place probably housed a smoker at one time.

Awesome, thanks. I've cleaned other parts of the wall, but I didn't want to mess with that if it was mold or something. Any suggestions for the solvent?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Just break out a magic sponge.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

From my experience with ABF's pod-type service, the extra money is from hiring two moving crews instead of just one. What ABF does is you pay for the pod and the truck driver who drives it from point A to point B, pay for a local moving crew at your place to load the truck, then pay for another moving crew at your destination. It cost me $2500 to move about the same amount of stuff from Virginia to Texas.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would you pay for a pod if you weren't packing yourself? Unless you're packing it into storage, but I'm guessing that's not the case here.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would you pay for a pod if you weren't packing yourself? Unless you're packing it into storage, but I'm guessing that's not the case here.

It's not that different from a regular move, the "pod" is the trailer part of a tractor trailer that they drop off at your place and pick it up when it's full. Then they drive to your new place, drop the trailer off and pick it up when it's empty. The only real difference is that the truck and movers aren't the same company. The moving crew is an optional feature, you can pack/unpack it yourself over the span of a few days if you want. I lived on the second floor and had a lot of heavy poo poo and no one around to help so I paid for the loading/unloading, if I had less stuff, friends who were in town, or lived on the first floor I might've done it myself.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

It's not that different from a regular move, the "pod" is the trailer part of a tractor trailer that they drop off at your place and pick it up when it's full. Then they drive to your new place, drop the trailer off and pick it up when it's empty. The only real difference is that the truck and movers aren't the same company. The moving crew is an optional feature, you can pack/unpack it yourself over the span of a few days if you want. I lived on the second floor and had a lot of heavy poo poo and no one around to help so I paid for the loading/unloading, if I had less stuff, friends who were in town, or lived on the first floor I might've done it myself.

Did you get standard service, or pod?

See, that's my question. Why, when you're just having guys come, put you're stuff in a vehicle, drive it to another place, then take it out of the vehicle, why would you bother with a pod?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Did you get standard service, or pod?

See, that's my question. Why, when you're just having guys come, put you're stuff in a vehicle, drive it to another place, then take it out of the vehicle, why would you bother with a pod?

I got several good recommendations for ABF from friends and family, and that's just how they do things. Does it really matter if the tractor trailer has a truck attached to it or not when it's being loaded and unloaded? I liked the flexibility-- movers finished loading the truck and it's waiting for pickup and you go "oh poo poo I forgot to pack [insert random item here]" you can toss it in a box and put it on the truck yourself before it leaves.

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.

Grumpwagon posted:

Awesome, thanks. I've cleaned other parts of the wall, but I didn't want to mess with that if it was mold or something. Any suggestions for the solvent?

Try some diluted pine sol in really hot water.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Oh man, we've been looking at several moving companies to try to find full service for a long distance move, and the two that quoted us decent prices, Mayflower and Budget Van Lines, have terrible reviews online. Like "I would give this -100 stars if I could, never never never ever use them" type reviews. Ugh.

The Budget Van Lines one is not surprising - I've never heard of it - but I thought Mayflower was this big, established company. We are looking at doing it ourselves, but we are anyway looking at $600 for the truck, so with the gas and other things (my wife and I have two cars, so we would have to get someone to drive the third car and then fly them back), it seems like it might be worth it to get full service, but I am having trouble figuring out which company would be trustworthy.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Doghouse posted:

Oh man, we've been looking at several moving companies to try to find full service for a long distance move, and the two that quoted us decent prices, Mayflower and Budget Van Lines, have terrible reviews online. Like "I would give this -100 stars if I could, never never never ever use them" type reviews. Ugh.

The Budget Van Lines one is not surprising - I've never heard of it - but I thought Mayflower was this big, established company. We are looking at doing it ourselves, but we are anyway looking at $600 for the truck, so with the gas and other things (my wife and I have two cars, so we would have to get someone to drive the third car and then fly them back), it seems like it might be worth it to get full service, but I am having trouble figuring out which company would be trustworthy.

You have to keep in mind that only pissed off people write reviews online most of the time.

Despite them not being a "traditional" full service move, I'd suggest checking out ABF. They also do car shipping along with the rest of your stuff, but I drove myself so I don't know what their prices are on that. You can pack and unpack the truck yourself, or you could get the full package with packers and movers.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Anyone have a recommendation on brands of washer/dryers? I see a ton a Craigslist for cheap, but I don't know which brands to shy away from and which to gravitate towards. This is the first time I'm buying. I don't care about fancy features or front-loading, just that it won't be a maintenance nightmare and would be a good second-hand buy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whirlpool are generally good, as are Kenmore (Sears brand, usually rebadged Whirlpool). If you get one that isn't HE and doesn't have all the fancy electronics, it should last a long time. At my old house, I had to replace the water pump on my washer, and it took all of 20 minutes.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Doghouse posted:

We are looking at doing it ourselves, but we are anyway looking at $600 for the truck, so with the gas and other things (my wife and I have two cars, so we would have to get someone to drive the third car and then fly them back), it seems like it might be worth it to get full service, but I am having trouble figuring out which company would be trustworthy.

How big are your cars? If you rent a truck, most places will also rent you a car carrier. I would suggest spending a little more and getting the car trailer, so that all 4 wheels are off the ground.

If you have never towed a trailer, especially if you are looking at a 20'+ truck, I would discard that idea though. Also, if your moving route takes you up of down severe grades, you might not want to do it unless you get a newer truck, or a diesel. Some of the older rental trucks are poorly maintained and under-powered.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Yeah I feel totally uncomfortable doing that. Just driving the truck makes me nervous, but I think I can do it. Trailing something, though, fuggedabadit. The Mayflower guy is coming tomorrow to give us an estimate, we'll see what happens.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

glompix posted:

Anyone have a recommendation on brands of washer/dryers? I see a ton a Craigslist for cheap, but I don't know which brands to shy away from and which to gravitate towards. This is the first time I'm buying. I don't care about fancy features or front-loading, just that it won't be a maintenance nightmare and would be a good second-hand buy.

Doesn't really matter. There's only 2 or 3 big companies that make them, odds are they're almost the same internally. Find a used appliance shop on craigslist. Most cities have a guy who finds broken appliances, fixes them up (usually a small 20 dollar part) and then sells them cheap. Should find an top loader set for under 250 that isn't beat to poo poo.

With the internet it's easy to repair appliances these days as well.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Hope this is the right place to ask about this-

After 23 years of being a deadbeat, I'm moving into my own place. To deal with the small amount of space I am playing around with the idea of a loft bed for my full sized mattress. I realize the silliness of wanting a full size mattress in my situation, but if I can find the right frame I think it would be perfect cause I would be able to throw my desk under there and have most of the rest of the room for my tv, bookcase, etc.

I have to actually measure the height of the ceiling, so this could all be a total bust, but if everything is good to go and I find the perfect frame, is there anything I should know about a loft bed? I had one when I was a kid and it was awesome but I'm a little concerned about stuff like heat.

There are no ceiling lights in my room (haven't decided if that's a good thing or not) or a ceiling fan to worry about, but I feel like it could still get very stuffy up there, especially since there wouldn't be an open path from the AC unit at the floor.

Thoughts on that/on other bad things about a loft bed?

edit: won't fit. Ignore me.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 13, 2012

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Mayflower told us it would be about $3000 for full service - our small 1 bedroom was 4,000 pounds of stuff. We don't even have that much stuff, but I guess it adds up.

So, we're going to rent a truck and do it ourselves, possibly hiring some help to pack it. Any goon recommendations on truck companies? I have been advised against uhaul - are budget or penske good?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Doghouse posted:

So, we're going to rent a truck and do it ourselves, possibly hiring some help to pack it. Any goon recommendations on truck companies? I have been advised against uhaul - are budget or penske good?

We've always had good luck with Penske. Prices seem fair & never had a truck break down in all my years of moving.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Doghouse posted:

Mayflower told us it would be about $3000 for full service - our small 1 bedroom was 4,000 pounds of stuff. We don't even have that much stuff, but I guess it adds up.

The only really good thing uhaul has is the low deck height, and if you have a lot of stuff you can use dollys for, it is worth the reliability risk. If you have, say, a lot of appliances (fridge, washer, dryer, dishwasher, stove) and more than 50 boxes, and you have a hand truck you can use for your boxes, that extra 18"-24" that you don't have to go up and down with every trip is well worth it.

If you have mostly funiture and under 20 boxes, just go with the cheapest national choice, you don't have enough stuff to wear you out anyway.

I have used uhaul, penske, and budget. The best customer service was at budget, but uhaul almost always has the best price. I have had 1 uhaul break down (turned out to be water in the gas)

One thing to consider: How attached are you to your current furniture?

When I moved from south FL to LA (Louisiana), the cheapest one-way rental I could find was $2100, not including fuel. Since I wasn't really attached to my living room set, or my desks, or chairs, or bookcases, (most of it was secondhand stuff bought during college anyway) I sold it all on craigslist, rented a panel van from enterprise with unlimited mileage (in LA, local rental, so I drove from LA-FL-LA) for 3 days, and moved for under $100 in rental fees + less fuel than a moving van would have used. Then we replaced all our furniture, and came out about $500 ahead, and with new furniture.

Of course, this was made easier because my bed is a sleep number, and breaks down very easily, but it could have been done with a normal bed, even easier if you get one of the new high roof vans almost every place has for rent now. Oh, look for the vans at the enterprise and budget truck rental sites.

If you don't mind driving, this could solve your car transport problem as well - drive both cars to your new city, rent a van, drive back together, load up and drive to your new home. With the internet, price comparison should be easy too. And furniture shopping with my wife turned out to be not as bad as I thought it was. Just point out the couch with dragons on it.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
How many times can my AC break down before I can make the landlord get a new unit? This is a house, not an apartment, and I have a 4 day old baby. It was 85 outside today and 78-79 inside (set at 71). It was doing this a few weeks ago, and the guy said it was 'fixed' after letting the unit thaw and I think adding freon?? Problem is, it was raining really hard when he was done and the temperature dropped considerably. Today is the first day it has really gotten hot since then. My electric bill was $100 more than it was last month and I'm starting to get annoyed, as I had to get a window unit for the bedroom because my 9 month pregnant fiancé was about to kill me.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
More of a rant/bitch than anything, but is it standard fare for a landlord/potential landlord to ask for the last months + first months rent PLUS a security deposit equal to the monthly rent for new renters?

I mean seriously, why am I potentially going to be paying someone for time that I haven't even spent in your unit?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Wicaeed posted:

More of a rant/bitch than anything, but is it standard fare for a landlord/potential landlord to ask for the last months + first months rent PLUS a security deposit equal to the monthly rent for new renters?
This is pretty normal, yes. Not crazy common, but I've seen a fair few places ask for this much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Wicaeed posted:

I mean seriously, why am I potentially going to be paying someone for time that I haven't even spent in your unit?

It's in case you end up never showing up, or move out early and try to dick them out of the last month of rent. If that happens they have the money to cover expenses for the place till they find a new tenant. Yeah it sucks but the lovely tenants ruin it for everyone but it's kinda hard to tell up front who's likely to dick them over and who will be a decent tenant.

I've only ever had to pay first month plus security deposit, but I've heard of a lot of people doing first AND last month. My current place only wanted a security deposit until I actually moved in, but a lot of places aren't as lenient.