Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are there any guides for how many acquisitions an upper ranked player should have? My buddies want me to make a Rank 4 Seneschal so I need to give him more stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Do any of the books from any of the power brackets have stats for Tau weapons (suits/warriors, not kroot don't give a gently caress about a kroot).

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Diplomaticus posted:

Do any of the books from any of the power brackets have stats for Tau weapons (suits/warriors, not kroot don't give a gently caress about a kroot).

The Deathwatch book Mark of the Xenos has a good amount of information on Tau weaponry, suits and guns.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Diplomaticus posted:

You can get some dece pulse weapons from Into the Storm's armory, and the base deathwatch game has some taus

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do you guys use miniatures in your games? If so which one? Any recommendations for a Seneschal?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you guys use miniatures in your games? If so which one? Any recommendations for a Seneschal?

My group, being IRC doesn't obviously*, however, what kind of character style did you have in mind, and are you looking for GW minis or potentially elsewhere?

* Though I did make Minis of the Deathwatch Demo game pregens once upon a time.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
This is the only GW model I could find that's Rogue Trader-ish.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My group, being IRC doesn't obviously*, however, what kind of character style did you have in mind, and are you looking for GW minis or potentially elsewhere?

* Though I did make Minis of the Deathwatch Demo game pregens once upon a time.

Looking for a character for my Janus Victrus Seneschal from KSAF's Rogue Trader game. So a very precise, polished Seneschal. I was thinking the naval advisor from GW's IG range. I don't care about where he comes from.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

In the lead-up to Free RPG Day, FFG has released bonus characters to be used in the demo of Only War, Eleventh Hour:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3349

The bonus content contains three characters - Ratling, Commissar and Ogryn.

edit: Also, Catachans.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MaliciousOnion posted:

This is the only GW model I could find that's Rogue Trader-ish.

I've seen at least one really awesome conversion of Jerico there.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I think the IG command team box would be good to make RT characters out of, so long as you have a decent bits box to raid.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Are we still posting art of our RT characters? If so, this is a thing:

(I was the Kroot on the left :3:)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Is that a Magos Biologis who spent too much time splicing Tyranid genes, in the back there?

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Totally thought that was a Turian on the left. Ace pic though!

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Pyrolocutus posted:

Is that a Magos Biologis who spent too much time splicing Tyranid genes, in the back there?

Yuuup. Johan the Red. And the girl with pink eyes was our astropath who turned out to be a genestealer patriarch infiltrating the crew. Kroot had no one left to play boardgames with after that. :(

Also Kroot with Agonizer and Powerfist? Pretty goddamned good at melee combat,.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Is there a website out there that allows people to make rolls online and can be linked to? My Dark Heresy group is having trouble in the short term finding a place for games and might make the transition to Skype, but we want a good way of keeping track of dicerolls. Any suggestions? :shobon:

Pyrolocutus posted:

That's amazing.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

bhsman posted:

Is there a website out there that allows people to make rolls online and can be linked to? My Dark Heresy group is having trouble in the short term finding a place for games and might make the transition to Skype, but we want a good way of keeping track of dicerolls. Any suggestions? :shobon:

http://invisiblecastle.com/ seems to be what you want.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

It's perfect, thanks! :buddy:

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looking for a character for my Janus Victrus Seneschal from KSAF's Rogue Trader game. So a very precise, polished Seneschal. I was thinking the naval advisor from GW's IG range. I don't care about where he comes from.

I first thought of the naval one too, but Janus may be too polished. What you may want to do is a handswap with a 40k hellpistol onto a 28mm victorian-era model.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I'd probably go Revolution- or Empire-era instead of Victorian, although anything from Baroque to early Victorian could be a fit.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MaliciousOnion posted:

In the lead-up to Free RPG Day, FFG has released bonus characters to be used in the demo of Only War, Eleventh Hour:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3349

The bonus content contains three characters - Ratling, Commissar and Ogryn.

edit: Also, Catachans.

:cry: All this is making me even sadder that I can't find any store near me celebrating FreeRPG day. They'll at least post up the adventure on the 16th, right?

Mikael Kreoss posted:

RogueTrader.jpg

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, that makes my group look pretty mundane. :ohdear:

I guess we are, really. Though I'm possibly the only Rogue Trader in the universe who still believes in the original purpose/concept of Rogue Traders.

[edit] Oh that bloody bastard, I was just talking to him a couple hours ago and he didn't mentinon THIS:

Our near-crippled Light Cruiser, about to ram an Eldar Dragonship that ambushed us. I swore I was about TPK the whole party, but somehow through a monumental effort of assist actions we managed to hit the xenos ship and utterly devastate it, breaking her keel/spine, and barely took any damage ourself. :black101:

Would've preferred the moment of impact personally, but thats still awesome. Best GM. :3:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 15, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You rammed an Eldar starship and you were surprised when it broke apart like it was made of delicate china?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What is it that gives everybody but the Commissar more Movement then they have AB? In DH being large did that but there's nothing on either of the sheets about it.

Additionally, it looks like OW is going to be closer to RT in terms of power level then DH, based on the bolt/chain starting equipment and the stats on that Ripper being better then the Vanaheim in just about anything.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Asehujiko posted:

What is it that gives everybody but the Commissar more Movement then they have AB? In DH being large did that but there's nothing on either of the sheets about it.

Additionally, it looks like OW is going to be closer to RT in terms of power level then DH, based on the bolt/chain starting equipment and the stats on that Ripper being better then the Vanaheim in just about anything.
The sheets are a bit simplified, I'd assume. They've folded the Ogryn's Unnatural Strength and Toughness into his size descroption, and omitted the speed bonuses/penalties from the size descriptions presumably because they can just be folded into the speed without needing to burden the new players with the details of how everything's calculated. The ratling race probably has Unnatural Speed (2) to make up for the -1 size penalty and still make them speedier than regular humans.

The power level doesn't really seem to be as high as RT. They're certainly better than most starting DH characters, but Guardsmen were always on the high end of the DH starting power. Sniper rifles have needed a boost to be actually worthwhile for quite a while, the Commissar's statline is 20s and 30s rather than 30s and 40s, and lasguns are actually pretty bitching in BC+ with the changes to semi-auto and the Variable Setting rules so bolt pistols aren't wildly OP in comparison, and the Ripper is mostly going to be fired on the move by BS 20-something lumps with almost no Fate Points to make sure it lands when you need it to.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You rammed an Eldar starship and you were surprised when it broke apart like it was made of delicate china?

No, we were expecting our ship to break apart as well, since it was repeatedly gouged by puslar lances and blasted by Eldar Attack craft. Pretty much we decided if we were about to TPK, we were gonna make sure those Craftworld Eldar died alongside us. Then we rolled pathetic damage to our own ship in the ram (the Dragonship is the larger vessel and the ram should've hosed us up given how little hull points we had left).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No, we were expecting our ship to break apart as well, since it was repeatedly gouged by puslar lances and blasted by Eldar Attack craft. Pretty much we decided if we were about to TPK, we were gonna make sure those Craftworld Eldar died alongside us. Then we rolled pathetic damage to our own ship in the ram (the Dragonship is the larger vessel and the ram should've hosed us up given how little hull points we had left).

The Emperor Protects.

When is Only War supposed to come out? I'd love a game at RT power levels that lets me complement the RT ruleset, which is IMO the best game so far. At least until they come out with an ork RPG.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Talkie Toaster posted:

The sheets are a bit simplified, I'd assume. They've folded the Ogryn's Unnatural Strength and Toughness into his size descroption, and omitted the speed bonuses/penalties from the size descriptions presumably because they can just be folded into the speed without needing to burden the new players with the details of how everything's calculated. The ratling race probably has Unnatural Speed (2) to make up for the -1 size penalty and still make them speedier than regular humans.

The power level doesn't really seem to be as high as RT. They're certainly better than most starting DH characters, but Guardsmen were always on the high end of the DH starting power. Sniper rifles have needed a boost to be actually worthwhile for quite a while, the Commissar's statline is 20s and 30s rather than 30s and 40s, and lasguns are actually pretty bitching in BC+ with the changes to semi-auto and the Variable Setting rules so bolt pistols aren't wildly OP in comparison, and the Ripper is mostly going to be fired on the move by BS 20-something lumps with almost no Fate Points to make sure it lands when you need it to.

So if RT is a 4000XP game, could OW be a 2000XP game, a nice bridge between the two?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Only War is supposed to be out next month. Even if it's not RT-level, it'll be good to have a game with updated rules that can be more easily applied to DH, RT and DW.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MaliciousOnion posted:

Only War is supposed to be out next month. Even if it's not RT-level, it'll be good to have a game with updated rules that can be more easily applied to DH, RT and DW.

Agreed. I might pick it up just so I can play DH power level with up to date rules.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Is there some reason you couldn't use Black Crusade for that?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SlothBear posted:

Is there some reason you couldn't use Black Crusade for that?

Seems like BC characters are quite a bit more powerful to me. I could certainly be incorrect, though.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Oh I meant with regards to updated rules, not power levels, sorry! :)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SlothBear posted:

Oh I meant with regards to updated rules, not power levels, sorry! :)

Oh, yeah. The other problem I have with DH aside from rules updates is that the classes are really not nearly as well put together as the more recent books. I just misunderstood you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's frustrating that they're giving a PDF of the two bonus characters and a fixed Ogryn, but I still need to swing by Staples and awkwardly xerox three character sheets with different Rambos on them under the judging eye of jaded employees.

e: But it's ok because nobody showed anyway. :sigh:

moths fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 16, 2012

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

moths posted:

e: But it's ok because nobody showed anyway. :sigh:
That sucks, but Free RPG Day is really poorly advertised and not very widespread so it's not really a surprise. My local certainly wasn't running it, which is a bit of a shame as I was hoping to get a copy of the adventure- know if there's any PDFs of it about?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They usually put it up online shortly after, which is a pretty cool thing. The adventure looked really fun, and managed to present a better Imperial Guard story than I expected from a free-RPG day scenario.

Basically, your squad needs to get from one side of a zone to the other. This is because the Orks are more entrenched than reported, so Navy is launching an orbital barrage.

I didn't expect the biggest danger to come from the Imperial Guard's inadequate logistics system, which just doesn't have the resources to evacuate everybody from the target zone. One encounter features a Commissar barely controlling a situation where a couple hundred guardsmen want onto the last evac boat - which is seats 50. (This is the same boat the PC's need to get onto.) And meanwhile the enemy is trying to kill you because that's what they do.

It managed to convey a lot of what makes the IG unique beyond killing stuff and made me much more interested in Only War.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
How'd your guys get onto the boat? That sounds IG as anything though. The only thing that would make it better is if the commissar didn't like your looks so he sent you back to get his bottle of scotch very important papers.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How long does it usually take for FFG to upload the adventure online? I'm not sure if I'd be able to play Only War, but it would be nice to see the adventure and get all :allears: over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Amazon.com posted:

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Fantasy Flight Games "Dark Heresy: Only War..."
Estimated arrival date: January 10, 2013

Ugh.