Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The next few years are all Bulldozer revisions. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

:downsgun:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I'd replace my four aging family PCs with four of those babies assuming the price is right. Save the juice and they could still game.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Alereon posted:

:redhammer:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :) It's just a thing that gets on my nerves for some reason, I'm certainly not going to punish anyone over it. I'm not even sure what bothers me about it, it just makes me read your post in the voice of a teenaged fanboy. Big red titles for people who admit to buying Bulldozers, on the other hand, are a thing that will happen!

If AMD didn't want people to keep saying ATI, they would have done something about the CCC appdata folder :colbert:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

If AMD didn't want people to keep saying ATI, they would have done something about the CCC appdata folder :colbert:

Even the folder in Program Files is "ATI Technologies".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Always thought that expanded name was a bit dumb, too (the T is already for Technologies.)

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

So MicroCenter has the FX-8120 for $149.99, and I can get a motherboard with it at a discount, a $85 ASUS M5A97 for $45. Is this really that bad of a deal as the OP states? Do these chips burst into flames or something? I'm not expecting i7 performance or anything. I'm running a 4-year old C2D 2.6 right now and looking for a bang-for-the-buck upgrade for my home PC.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

babies havin rabies posted:

So MicroCenter has the FX-8120 for $149.99, and I can get a motherboard with it at a discount, a $85 ASUS M5A97 for $45. Is this really that bad of a deal as the OP states? Do these chips burst into flames or something? I'm not expecting i7 performance or anything. I'm running a 4-year old C2D 2.6 right now and looking for a bang-for-the-buck upgrade for my home PC.

So that's $195 total? I think last year at Microcenter you could get a Phenom X6 1090 + free motherboard for like $159 and it wasn't really that great of a deal then.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

So that's $195 total? I think last year at Microcenter you could get a Phenom X6 1090 + free motherboard for like $159 and it wasn't really that great of a deal then.

Yeah the reviews for this processor actually are pretty damning. Considering I can get an i5 that will outperform it for $50 more, that seems like the best option right now.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I've got a Phenom II X6 2.7GHz right now, which isn't cutting it for what I'm trying to do (especially since a lot of things I'm working with just won't utilize more than 4 cores), and overclocking it even a bit makes the computer get really worryingly hot. I was looking at the FX-4170 for a replacement since the ridiculous numbers and surprisingly small price caught my eye, but the OP says don't buy FX series, so I'm stumped. Should I just hold on to this CPU until Bulldozer? I kinda don't want to spend more than $200 on this upgrade, and the price seemed right for the FX-4170.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I've got a Phenom II X6 2.7GHz right now, which isn't cutting it for what I'm trying to do (especially since a lot of things I'm working with just won't utilize more than 4 cores), and overclocking it even a bit makes the computer get really worryingly hot. I was looking at the FX-4170 for a replacement since the ridiculous numbers and surprisingly small price caught my eye, but the OP says don't buy FX series, so I'm stumped. Should I just hold on to this CPU until Bulldozer? I kinda don't want to spend more than $200 on this upgrade, and the price seemed right for the FX-4170.

You'd be most likely downgrading substantially in performance. The running joke before AMD quit the high-end CPU business and it stopped being funny was that they'd finally managed to best their main competitor, the Phenom II X6. With the CPU that has twice as many cores (or... modules... or whatever) as that one you're looking at there. You'd basically be downgrading from a 6-core to a pseudo 4-core. The Bulldozer chips aimed at competing with Sandy Bridge's 2500/2600/2700K chips are marketed as 8-core.

AMD is throwing good money after bad. Sad, but true. There is no real cost effective upgrade path for you, since ironically the only thing that Bulldozer really excels at is highly threaded tasks, where it can match Sandy Bridge sometimes, Core i7 pre-SB usually, and not even really trying anymore against Ivy Bridge.

(Seriously, the FX series of processors - Bulldozer, in other words - was so bad that they announced that they were pulling out of competition with Intel in the high end, then they laid off a huge portion of their staff, fired the CEO, even the CTO of the successful graphics division saw the change in the wind and got the hell out of dodge. AMD users are kinda screwed if they thought they'd get an upgrade path.)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Agreed posted:

You'd be most likely downgrading substantially in performance. The running joke before AMD quit the high-end CPU business and it stopped being funny was that they'd finally managed to best their main competitor, the Phenom II X6. With the CPU that has twice as many cores (or... modules... or whatever) as that one you're looking at there. You'd basically be downgrading from a 6-core to a pseudo 4-core. The Bulldozer chips aimed at competing with Sandy Bridge's 2500/2600/2700K chips are marketed as 8-core.

AMD is throwing good money after bad. Sad, but true. There is no real cost effective upgrade path for you, since ironically the only thing that Bulldozer really excels at is highly threaded tasks, where it can match Sandy Bridge sometimes, Core i7 pre-SB usually, and not even really trying anymore against Ivy Bridge.

(Seriously, the FX series of processors - Bulldozer, in other words - was so bad that they announced that they were pulling out of competition with Intel in the high end, then they laid off a huge portion of their staff, fired the CEO, even the CTO of the successful graphics division saw the change in the wind and got the hell out of dodge. AMD users are kinda screwed if they thought they'd get an upgrade path.)
Well, that's depressing. I guess I'll just try to overclock to ~3.2-3.4ish and buy something for better cooling.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah, Phenom II X6 to two module Bulldozer is a definite downgrade.
A good cooler and an overclock is your best bet for the money. For peformance, there's no good option unless you go all Intel.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 24, 2012

ZeroConnection
Aug 8, 2008
Maybe you should just get a SSD instead?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I've got a Phenom II X6 2.7GHz right now, which isn't cutting it for what I'm trying to do (especially since a lot of things I'm working with just won't utilize more than 4 cores).

Does it utilize more than 2 cores? You can get a Socket 1155 motherboard for $25-$30 every once in a while and an i3-2120 (dual core /w hyperthreading) will absolutely destroy a Phenom X6 in lightly threaded loads. If you already have the memory, then it's pretty much at the same price target if you wait for a good deal on eBay for the i3.

It's phenomenal how cheap computing power is these days. I was doing some research on Friday for upgrading a 10 year old dev box of mine because it was starting to hit the ceiling. For $200 I got a H61 motherboard, i5-2500, and 8 GB of DDR3. Ten years ago that wouldn't have bought the CPU of the machine it's replacing.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 27, 2012

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
With how low the whole i5 line is priced, I don't think AMD can compete in mid to high-end unless they release dirt cheap Vishera hexacores that don't go nuclear when overclocked, like Zambezi does. Trinity doesn't offer a that much of a CPU performance increase over Llano and Vishera probably won't either, unless L3 cache and the rumoured increased decode width end up being a huge deal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Chuu posted:

It's phenomenal how cheap computing power is these days. I was doing some research on Friday for upgrading a 10 year old dev box of mine because it was starting to hit the ceiling. For $200 I got a H61 motherboard, i5-2500, and 8 GB of DDR3. Ten years ago that wouldn't have bought the CPU of the machine it's replacing.

Sorry for asking, but what bundle did you research that cost 200 total?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Tae posted:

Sorry for asking, but what bundle did you research that cost 200 total?

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything LIKE that for $200.
Closest I can see is an i3-2100, board and 8GB for a little over 200..

A 2500 alone is over 200 on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115073
But for that money you'd get the Ivy Bridge version anyway:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116505

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 28, 2012

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm guessing maybe he got a deal from someone else who was upgrading? If I saw a place offering a crazy upgrade kit like that for $200 I would have to really step back for a second, think about how much I need that kind of upgrade versus the extra hit shipping would be, and then try to place the order only to find out it sold out in the meantime :(

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The deal I specifically got:

Motherboard : ECS H61H2-M2(1.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $45 with $25 MIR
CPU : i5 2500 $125
Memory : Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $45

$215 - $25 (rebate) + 10 (OEM HSF) = $200

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

That is a good deal that I might have to consider. Thanks for posting it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Chuu posted:

The deal I specifically got:

Motherboard : ECS H61H2-M2(1.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $45 with $25 MIR
CPU : i5 2500 $125
Memory : Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $45

$215 - $25 (rebate) + 10 (OEM HSF) = $200
The CPU and RAM are fine, but ECS is nearly the worst-tier manufacturer for motherboards, barely edging out PCChips. Having replaced many of their boards in the past, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Given their history I'd expect that board to last 6-9 months, tops.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Two items of bad news on the AMD front: Semiaccurate is reporting that AMD has delayed the desktop Trinity launch until September. Strong demand and prices mean they're going to send all of the CPUs they make to laptops. Yields seem to be better than Llano, which is good.

SemiAccurate is also reporting that AMD is having problems getting PCI-Express 3.0 to work, and as a result is delaying introducing motherboards featuring it until at least 2013. There aren't really any applications that benefit from the additional bandwidth that you'd see running on a low-end AMD system, at least.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

grumperfish posted:

The CPU and RAM are fine, but ECS is nearly the worst-tier manufacturer for motherboards, barely edging out PCChips. Having replaced many of their boards in the past, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Given their history I'd expect that board to last 6-9 months, tops.

I thought that these days making motherboards was pretty much a no-brainer if you follow the reference designs, but looking at the reviews, guess I was wrong.

The # of reviews jumped up from ~5 to ~35 in the last couple of days, I'm guessing due to the $15 deal, with a pretty significant number being negative due to faulty GIG-E controllers and some with USB problems. I'm upgrading my system as soon as I'm done backing up so we'll see how lucky I got . . .

This is the AMD thread and not the Intel one so I'll stop posting about this here.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

Two items of bad news on the AMD front: Semiaccurate is reporting that AMD has delayed the desktop Trinity launch until September. Strong demand and prices mean they're going to send all of the CPUs they make to laptops. Yields seem to be better than Llano, which is good.

SemiAccurate is also reporting that AMD is having problems getting PCI-Express 3.0 to work, and as a result is delaying introducing motherboards featuring it until at least 2013. There aren't really any applications that benefit from the additional bandwidth that you'd see running on a low-end AMD system, at least.

Man, the comments section for the PCIe 3.0 article were pretty :stare: inducing. Sucks that there's no Gen 3 on the chipset yet, but it's not like Intel hasn't done that in the past either, with the CPU's PCIe lanes being faster than the PCH's. The primary consumer devices that need the bandwidth are GPUs and RAID controllers, and they get tied to the CPU's lanes. The stuff off the chipset is generally taken for devices that just don't need that much bandwidth.

FWIW, on PCH's you can gang together lanes to turn them into x2 or x4 lanes, I'm sure AMD can do the same.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

movax posted:

Man, the comments section for the PCIe 3.0 article were pretty :stare: inducing.

PCIe is a terrible interconnect and we should all be using Hyper Transport instead but it doesn't matter because Intel controls the PCI SIG so we are stuck with this :words:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
The only issue would be would Nvidia make hypertransport enabled graphics cards.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

The only issue would be would Nvidia make hypertransport enabled graphics cards.

That has nothing to do with it really, HyperTransport isn't somehow owned by AMD, and NVIDIA has used HyperTransport in the past on AMD boards.

However at this point, PCIe is the only game in town, and there's no point changing it now, really.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

:staredog: They'll hire another team to design a PCIe / HT bridge ASIC and lay them off in a year!

I think we're past a decade of PCI anyways, especially in terms of software. Capability pointers :science:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
AMD has announced that they will be integrating ARM cores into their APU products over their entire product range, from embedded to servers. The goal is to leverage ARM's TrustZone hardware security technology as an alternative to Intel's Trusted eXecution Technology. They're starting by integrating a Core A5 into their Brazos successor for tablets.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

PCIe is a terrible interconnect...

why?

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

He was quoting one of the comments from the article. Unless he made both...

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
AMD at this point is basically a really bad experimental art group. They do things that are almost vaguely promising, but you know that it will be done terribly so you don't care.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I don't know that it will be done terribly, and do care as I'd quite like to play around with that feature. Just sayin'.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 14, 2012

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
If I understand the article right, they are implementing an ARM core but it is only to provide TrustZone. The catch is I really think there could be a viable market for a full x86 and ARM CPU, especially considering the mess windows 8 is going to create. Consider you have an ARM Windows 8 Tablet ('cause an x86 table is going to drain the battery a lot more) and an x86 desktop, the avearage consume now has to worry about 1) is it a metro or desktop app, 2) is it optimized for touch screens or mouse and keyboard, and 3) is it made for ARM or x86? A hybrid ARM/x86 CPU (if such a thing is possible) kinda seems like a really good idea now.

The best argument I can think of against this is claiming it would be similar to Apple transitioning from 68K to PPC, then PPC to Intel and using emulators. But the difference is Windows 8 is not giving up on x86 (yet?), windows 8 is supporting both architectures now and into the future.

*edit* the more I think about it, is the idea of a hybrid CPU with multiple cores, 1 (or more) x86 and 1 ARM core even possible?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 14, 2012

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Colonel Sanders posted:

*edit* the more I think about it, is the idea of a hybrid CPU with multiple cores, 1 (or more) x86 and 1 ARM core even possible?
Silicon doesn't really give a poo poo. Want to slap an ARM, x86, and RISC core on the same die? Go for it. They'll all come up, run, etc. No problem.

Want the software running on that platform to be aware of the other cores and be able to use them? :can:

Getting two of the same cores to run coherently is difficult, shuffling data between different types of cores is a nightmare. It's possible, but I don't envy anyone working on that stack.

Colonel Sanders posted:

The catch is I really think there could be a viable market for a full x86 and ARM CPU
I disagree with this assertion. I'm struggling to find a use case for "I have a giant x86 core and want a dinky ARM around to do some compute on". By the time you ship the problem off and convert your endians the x86 already solved the problem on a cycle-accurate ARM simulator and went to sleep. It makes sense for GPU's because the problems are amenable to 1000 copies of a dumb adder being able to execute in parallel. An A5 doesn't have that kind of advantage.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Colonel Sanders posted:

Consider you have an ARM Windows 8 Tablet ('cause an x86 table is going to drain the battery a lot more) and an x86 desktop, the avearage consume now has to worry about 1) is it a metro or desktop app, 2) is it optimized for touch screens or mouse and keyboard, and 3) is it made for ARM or x86? A hybrid ARM/x86 CPU (if such a thing is possible) kinda seems like a really good idea now.

The "Made for ARM or x86/Metro or Desktop" part isn't something to worry about. All Windows RT (i.e. Win 8 tablet edition) apps will be Metro only, with the exception of MS-ported apps. All apps purchased/downloaded from the Windows Store will be Metro; Desktop apps will redirect you to a web page to download a regular installer. All Metro stuff is all cross-platform; the OS is just there to expose the right APIs to the programs.

You also have to keep in mind that x86 power efficiency has risen dramatically in the past couple of years, with the exception of Bulldozer. Combined with just adding more battery to the device in return for a moderate increase in size/weight, you can get similar battery life despite the higher-powered components, so believe you me there will be x86 Win8 tablets that don't suck.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

Silicon doesn't really give a poo poo. Want to slap an ARM, x86, and RISC core on the same die? Go for it. They'll all come up, run, etc. No problem.

Want the software running on that platform to be aware of the other cores and be able to use them? :can:

Getting two of the same cores to run coherently is difficult, shuffling data between different types of cores is a nightmare. It's possible, but I don't envy anyone working on that stack.

I disagree with this assertion. I'm struggling to find a use case for "I have a giant x86 core and want a dinky ARM around to do some compute on". By the time you ship the problem off and convert your endians the x86 already solved the problem on a cycle-accurate ARM simulator and went to sleep. It makes sense for GPU's because the problems are amenable to 1000 copies of a dumb adder being able to execute in parallel. An A5 doesn't have that kind of advantage.

I guess you could keep the ARM core around for basic platform housekeeping tasks, but I feel the cost of getting that core on your die vs. paying $0.20 and putting a simple ARM-based embedded controller on the motherboard and tying it to LPC and doing MMIO through the PCH just isn't worth it. The latter solution is cheap as hell and is what most of the mobile folks are doing right now.

Could totally see that ARM core getting rolled into the PCH at some point though. It already does a large amount of platform management tasks, and the name is Platform Controller Hub.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What could be interesting is seeing the ARM core being used for virtualization for the emulation of ARM-based devices. Probably not possible though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SwissCM posted:

What could be interesting is seeing the ARM core being used for virtualization for the emulation of ARM-based devices. Probably not possible though.

It's a very old core and slow as well. Kinda like deciding to use a Pentium III core to emulate a modern x86 cpu.

• Locked thread