Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Chemtrail Clem posted:

I liked that guys lovely pop-psychology analysis of how wanting to beat up someone acting like an rear end in a top hat is indicative of an abusive childhood and raised dopamine levels though hahahah

It's goony as poo poo but you gotta admit, wanting to break stuff and assault people for the offense of "walking into a room" is kind of hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KelJu
Jul 18, 2004
IT WAS A MISCLICK

Spiffo posted:

It's goony as poo poo but you gotta admit, wanting to break stuff and assault people for the offense of "walking into a room" is kind of hosed up.

No it's not, you are being a pussy. It is pretty common for an adult male to have impulses to beat up another adult male for being an rear end in a top hat. It isn't healthy, but it is pretty common and normal.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

KelJu posted:

No it's not, you are being a pussy. It is pretty common for an adult male to have impulses to beat up another adult male for being an rear end in a top hat. It isn't healthy, but it is pretty common and normal.

You might not have posted what you think you posted. You were talking about having violent urges based on someone's body language and whether or not they play pool.

KelJu
Jul 18, 2004
IT WAS A MISCLICK

TheRagamuffin posted:

You might not have posted what you think you posted. You were talking about having violent urges based on someone's body language and whether or not they play pool.

No, I posted exactly what I wanted to post which was a mix of seriousness and dark humor. The OP got it which is all I care about.

The Jax
May 15, 2004

KelJu posted:

No, I posted exactly what I wanted to post which was a mix of seriousness and dark humor. The OP got it which is all I care about.

Actually, I think TheRagamuffin is correct. Additionally, I think you really misread the op's response to your statement.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Kind of off topic but I'm incredibly stoked and this is the only pool-related thread going at the moment:

Tonight my team placed in the top 4 of our city tournament (out of something like 346 teams). Next Saturday is the finals, but now we're dialed in and get to go to the nationals in Vegas in August! :monocle:

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

WarLocke posted:

Tonight my team placed in the top 4 of our city tournament (out of something like 346 teams). Next Saturday is the finals, but now we're dialed in and get to go to the nationals in Vegas in August! :monocle:

Just curious, how does team pool work? It seems like a very 1-on-1 kind of thing...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

penneydude posted:

Just curious, how does team pool work? It seems like a very 1-on-1 kind of thing...

8 players per team, 5 matches per night. Best 3 of 5. You can only play 23 'points' in a night. The number of actual racks in an individual match varies by the players' handicaps (for example if both players are rated 4 it's a 4/4 race, but if one is a 4 and the other is a 7 the race is 2/5 [meaning the player rated 4 needs to win 2 racks before the 7 wins 5]). Each player gets 1 time-out per rack for the captain to coach them on a shot or general strategy or whatever.

So you have both the individual player skill during a match counting, as well as the captain/coach strategy as for who to play when. Like tonight, when we put up our 6 for the 4th match, they also put up their 6, which resulted in the last match being our 4 versus one of their 4s because that's all they could play point-wise. What they should have done was throw off against our 6 (the 4 or their 2), accept that they would lose that match (would have put the teams at 2/2) then we would only be able to play a 4 for the last match and they could throw their 6 on him. If they had done that we would have lost, definitely.

This is all APA rules, I have no idea how other leagues do it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

jase1 posted:

I don't take this as an attack and I am sure they are a lot more people like this. It's more of the lifestyle thing then just pool players. When I was 24 I walked into every place like I owned it. I flashed money around, talked poo poo to people, needled people for no reason so I get the hatred. I don't do that know but I am still really cocky especially if someone is bragging about something I can't resist interjecting myself and making that person look like a fool or at least trying to. If I am with my girlfriend it's even worse or if that person is talking to women I have this urge to just shut him up and make him look like a douche. I don't condone my actions and every bit of poo poo that has gotten me in trouble I deserved it but all in all I am just a dick or rear end in a top hat or whatever people want to call me. I have had people from ages 14 all the way up to an 89 year old man challenge me to a fight in Vegas once about 5 years ago. It's in my blood and I don't know any other way to act.

That kind of sucks, dude. :( If it was just part of the hustle then okay, but "I don't know any other way to act" is kinda messed up. It might be something you'd want to address at some point.

If it doesn't seem to be affecting your non-hustling life too badly then I guess it's nothing to bother about, so just ignore me.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

KelJu posted:

No it's not, you are being a pussy. It is pretty common for an adult male to have impulses to beat up another adult male for being an rear end in a top hat*. It isn't healthy, but it is pretty common and normal.

*walking into a room

Oh god whenever I see someone with ~that look~ walk in I just get all agitated. He doesn't even have to do anything, I just can't help myself. Like all I can think about is taking his pool stick and breaking it over his head. Then maybe I can kick him a little until he bleeds all over my shoes, oh god I'm gonna cum

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 10, 2012

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself

Spiffo posted:

~that look~

the george zimmerman defense?

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
I do think many people want to beat others at something, and when they can't, they are forced to try violence, at times. The problem with this is that you would, never ever do this at an MMA or boxing place...you wouldn't play pool with Jase1, and you wouldn't fight a cage fighter.

It sucks not being really good at anthing. I'm not, but I've learned to cope, I suppose.

NativeAlien
Feb 7, 2008

KelJu posted:

No it's not you creepy lunatic

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
KelJU is a weirdo but I honestly dont understand why you retards are still debating that its not "normal" or common to want to beat someone up who is being an rear end in a top hat to you, when the OP has openly admitted that the entire point of his personality is to needle people and make them hate him, and that he hires a bodyguard to protect him during the frequent instances where people want to do violence on him for being a shithead

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Chemtrail Clem posted:

KelJU is a weirdo but I honestly dont understand why you retards are still debating that its not "normal" or common to want to beat someone up who is being an rear end in a top hat to you

It's not normal to want to beat someone up for simply entering the room with a pool cue, man.

NativeAlien
Feb 7, 2008

Chemtrail Clem posted:

KelJU is a weirdo but I honestly dont understand why you retards are still debating that its not "normal" or common to want to beat someone up who is being an rear end in a top hat to you, when the OP has openly admitted that the entire point of his personality is to needle people and make them hate him, and that he hires a bodyguard to protect him during the frequent instances where people want to do violence on him for being a shithead

Except in his own words he said he has uncontrollable urges to beat people who he sees pick up a pool cue. I could be playing a casual game of pool and KelJu could come up and start beating on me for no reason. That's not normal, that's just loving weird.

I like how he also preemptively tried to prevent us from calling out his freakishness by calling us bitches and pussies as if that makes any sense whatsoever.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

NativeAlien posted:

Except in his own words he said he has uncontrollable urges to beat people who he sees pick up a pool cue. I could be playing a casual game of pool and KelJu could come up and start beating on me for no reason. That's not normal, that's just loving weird.

I like how he also preemptively tried to prevent us from calling out his freakishness by calling us bitches and pussies as if that makes any sense whatsoever.

He was exaggerating and trying (and failing) to be funny, if he literally had an uncontrollable urge to beat up everyone who picked up a pool cue he would be in jail. His question was about the "aura" that pool hustlers give off, and how you can tell someone is a pool hustler just by the way they walk into a bar staring people down or being a confrontational rear end in a top hat which the OP confirmed is exactly his personality. If you want to read it again heres the OP's response:

quote:

I don't take this as an attack and I am sure they are a lot more people like this. It's more of the lifestyle thing then just pool players. When I was 24 I walked into every place like I owned it. I flashed money around, talked poo poo to people, needled people for no reason so I get the hatred. I don't do that know but I am still really cocky especially if someone is bragging about something I can't resist interjecting myself and making that person look like a fool or at least trying to. If I am with my girlfriend it's even worse or if that person is talking to women I have this urge to just shut him up and make him look like a douche. I don't condone my actions and every bit of poo poo that has gotten me in trouble I deserved it but all in all I am just a dick or rear end in a top hat or whatever people want to call me. I have had people from ages 14 all the way up to an 89 year old man challenge me to a fight in Vegas once about 5 years ago. It's in my blood and I don't know any other way to act.

Why are you gonna keep arguing that its bizarre and uncommon to want to beat up a dickhead pool player when the OP is confirming that people from 14 to 90 have tried to beat him up for being a dickhead pool player

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
What the gently caress happened to this thread?

Anyway...jase1 - what's your opinion on expensive pool cues? Some of them I see cost almost $2000. I heard one guy say that any cue that costs over $200 is purely cosmetic. Ie, it doesn't shoot any better.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

jase1 do you feel the same way about the judges of the Pacquaio fight as KelJu does of you?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Holy gently caress what a stupid derail. Lets move on please.

WarLocke posted:

Kind of off topic but I'm incredibly stoked and this is the only pool-related thread going at the moment:

Awesome congrats on that. I went once and it was a blast I will more than likely be out there so maybe we could get a drink shoot some pool or you can help me in a 2 man hustle. My girlfriends tourney is this weekend so hopefully her team will be in Vegas too. They only send 1 team out of about 100 so it's a little harder for her team to win but any team has a shot and they have a couple of really good players. My only issue with the local APA is a lot of the players are really under handicapped and it's not fair to the players who aren't sandbagging to keep their handicaps low. Does your local league have an issue with that?

Corridor posted:

That kind of sucks, dude. :( If it was just part of the hustle then okay, but "I don't know any other way to act" is kinda messed up. It might be something you'd want to address at some point.

If it doesn't seem to be affecting your non-hustling life too badly then I guess it's nothing to bother about, so just ignore me.

Yeah like I have said I won't really condone any of my actions but it's how I have always been. I don't think it really affects me in my everyday life I have a good job, in an awesome relationship and most of my friends know who I am and how I act because i don't really hide it. I have addressed it multiple times with people I trust and sometimes I have to dial it back a bit but for the most part it's me and how I am.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

What the gently caress happened to this thread?

Anyway...jase1 - what's your opinion on expensive pool cues? Some of them I see cost almost $2000. I heard one guy say that any cue that costs over $200 is purely cosmetic. Ie, it doesn't shoot any better.

I like a handcrafted cue that is a little expensive but when you get right down to the nitty gritty I can shoot just as good with a $25 stick as a $2000 stick. It's probably more for show than anything but I do feel like a handcrafted quality cue will last a lot longer and I like to know that it's not some shotty sweatshop putting my cue together. Your friend is probably right though that its pretty much cosmetics only. I get a lot of compliments on my cue and it's mostly because of the name on it not the way it looks.

Lone Goat posted:

jase1 do you feel the same way about the judges of the Pacquaio fight as KelJu does of you?

For those not in the know I risked $410 on Manny to win a $100 on the Pacuaio fight and of course boxing is corrupt so I lost the bet even though he won the fight and everyone else in the world said he won it. It was the first time I ever gambled on boxing and was sure that it was an easy money bet. I made up for it on Nadal winning the French open today so I wont complain to much.

It doesn't really bother me to much I knew boxing was lovely and that could happen I just thought it would never happen in a huge fight like this. Oh well chalk it up as a lost and move on. I am not good at sports booking and every month I am usually a loser. Last month I paid my bookie close to $1200.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jase1 posted:

Awesome congrats on that. I went once and it was a blast I will more than likely be out there so maybe we could get a drink shoot some pool or you can help me in a 2 man hustle. My girlfriends tourney is this weekend so hopefully her team will be in Vegas too. They only send 1 team out of about 100 so it's a little harder for her team to win but any team has a shot and they have a couple of really good players. My only issue with the local APA is a lot of the players are really under handicapped and it's not fair to the players who aren't sandbagging to keep their handicaps low. Does your local league have an issue with that?

I won't actually be there, my team won their triannual before I actually joined (this session is only my second, they qualified the session before I joined) and while I think I could have tried to qualify in the current/last triannuals, I don't think I'd have been eligible still because I have only 4 lifetime APA 8-ball matches and you need 10 or something. We play double-jeopardy (8- and 9-ball) and the way the team was set up I played 9-ball almost every week but rarely 8-ball. But it's still awesome for the rest of the team!

And yeah, you get sandbaggers here too. Hell, in the first match on Friday the other team threw a 3 on our 3 who proceeded to shut her out. 2 racks down in 3 innings. Dude was at least a 4, and they had only played him once before that match in the tournament. I'm pretty sure they were holding him back so he didn't go up before they got to Vegas. That's probably the worst example I've seen so far.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Can you apply English properly (or at all) with a lovely bar cue? I've basically never been able to put on more than a little bit (for instance, enough to draw the cue ball back a few inches) without a miscue, and I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong or it's just hopeless. Surely it can't be that hard?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

WarLocke posted:

I won't actually be there, my team won their triannual before I actually joined (this session is only my second, they qualified the session before I joined) and while I think I could have tried to qualify in the current/last triannuals, I don't think I'd have been eligible still because I have only 4 lifetime APA 8-ball matches and you need 10 or something. We play double-jeopardy (8- and 9-ball) and the way the team was set up I played 9-ball almost every week but rarely 8-ball. But it's still awesome for the rest of the team!

And yeah, you get sandbaggers here too. Hell, in the first match on Friday the other team threw a 3 on our 3 who proceeded to shut her out. 2 racks down in 3 innings. Dude was at least a 4, and they had only played him once before that match in the tournament. I'm pretty sure they were holding him back so he didn't go up before they got to Vegas. That's probably the worst example I've seen so far.

It's a major issue here guys are always under rated and I see them get raised in Vegas a lot. Teams have been disqualified from our area because they are so under rated. It's bullshit and there should be a better way to determine your handicap. I see guys that I gamble with and they are shooting as 4 or a 5 and they really should be a 6 or 7.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

McNerd posted:

Can you apply English properly (or at all) with a lovely bar cue? I've basically never been able to put on more than a little bit (for instance, enough to draw the cue ball back a few inches) without a miscue, and I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong or it's just hopeless. Surely it can't be that hard?

Yes, its just harder as the tip is likely the be hosed and the cue bowed. The yes also is conditional on just how hosed the lovely bar cue is. It also doesn't imply that it'll work how you want.

Physic's doesn't change, if you hit a ball off centre it will spin based on where you hit it. A better tip that is well chalked will grip the ball better and apply more spin. A battered, uneven tip that has worn down to a nub and wont hold and chalk and a bowed cue, will still apply english, just good luck it happening in any way you want or expect. It'll also probably be less.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

McNerd posted:

Are you chalking up every stroke? If not, definitely that. You could also be hitting too far off center. Take a look at this: http://www.ozonebilliards.com/ezshotcueball.html I think the green line is the farthest you want to go in normal shooting.

I don't even see anything wrong with a warped house cue, as long as the tip's not broken, but maybe that's just me?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Crazy week coming up for me so I figured I would post a story because I won't have a lot of time to post in the next week except from my phone. My girlfriend is playing in the APA tourney for a shot to go to Vegas and then as soon as the tourney is over we are flying to Myrtle beach to meet some friends that we rented a condo with for the week. The condo comes with a pool table and it's right on the beach so I am pretty excited about that. Maybe I can hustle some drunk tourist on the beach and in my condo. Most likely though I will be getting drunk and hanging out on the beach most of the time.

When I was 24 I felt like I was on top of the world. I had been winning a bunch of money that year, I had a ton of friends who love to hang around with me (I eventually found out they were only there because of my lifestyle) and most of them I don't even speak to anymore, I had bought a house 2 years earlier in a really nice suburb of Cleveland, a good job that payed well and everything was going great. Until I met Jessica who sent me on a really dark crazy couple of weeks.

I was shooting pool at one of those clubs that has the glow in the dark pool tables. It was packed and you could hardly even walk around the table but I was mostly just trying to show off in front of a group of girls. We played pool for most of the night and then I was sitting in the back of the club when Jessica approached me. I have said this before but I don't consider myself to be good with women they mostly approach me very rarely do I approach them because as much poo poo as I talk in real life I don't have the balls to approach women. Anyways Jessica approaches me and says she saw me and though I was cute and wanted to know if wanted to dance. I agree and we go over to the dance floor and while I am on the floor I see a guy start shooting pool on the table and I notice that some money exchanges hands after a match. Right away that has peaked my interest and I let Jessica know that while I am really enjoying dancing with her I would like to play that guy in pool. She is cool with it and comes over to the table with me.

The guy wants to gamble but he doesn't have any money on him but he does offer coke in exchange. I refuse and decide to just get some more drinks and hang out with Jessica for the rest of the night. She asks me why I am not playing that guy and I tell her he has no money and can only gamble with coke. Her eyes light up and says if I can get her some coke she would make it the best night of my life. I figure gently caress it I have done coke before no biggie and I am pretty sure I can take this guy. We decide to play the best of 3. I put up $100 and he puts up the bag of coke. At the time I had no clue how much the coke was worth it I just wanted Jessica and wasn't thinking clearly. I beat the guy 2-0 really quickly take the coke leave the club and end up back at my place for a really crazy coked up night with Jessica.

So basically Jessica is with me now all the time, she goes with me to the pool hall, she hangs out at the bars with me where I go she goes and the coke keeps coming along for the ride too. We are coked out of our minds one night and decide to go looking for action at a local pool hall. I meet up with a guy I have gamble with before and I end up losing about a grand to him because I am so hosed up. Jessica doesn't seem to mind as long as I keep the Coke and weed and alcohol flowing she is right there with me banging my brains out every night while we are partying our asses off. After about 2 weeks the coke is finally taking it's toll. I am starting to do it at work, I am coming in late to work, I missed a day of work, I also start having some problems with my Uncle. He knows whats going on and tries to talk to me but I basically tell him to gently caress off. It also starts to mess with my gambling. I seem to go on a losing streak and my dumb rear end can't seem to figure out why.

3 weeks into this madness my boss who is the owner of the company I work for now calls me into his office and basically tells me he knows whats going on and this is my chance to get my poo poo together or I'm fired. He tells to use my vacation time and take the week off get myself clean and come back. If I come back and he feels like I am still on coke he will fire me on the spot. I don't listen to a word he says except for that I am on vacation for a week. Jessica has basically moved in with me at this time so I go home tell Jessica I am off for the week so its time to party. I decide to have a huge party at my house and invite anyone and everyone that I know including friends of Jessica. I don't remember exactly how many people showed up but I remember seeing a lot of people that night. A few of Jessica's friends are shooting pool and I try to hustle a couple of them. I win a few hundred bucks and meanwhile I am just doing lines of coke, drinking and just overall parting my rear end off. I eventually go upstairs to pass out while a there a few people left in the late afternoon. I wake up 18 hours later and I notice that Jessica isn't around.

I am kind of stumbling through my house when I notice that my house is a mess because it hasn't been cleaned since the party, and something weird catches my eye. My freeze is cracked open and I am starting to panic a little bit. When I was younger I didn't always put my money in banks I usually kept a lot of it around my house. I put it in these tupperware containers in the freezer and I figured no one would ever know its in there. I look in and then start to notice that all the tupperware containers are missing. Now I freak out and start to realize that I have just been robbed. I call Jessica on the cell phone that I bought her and of course there is no answer. Now I am really starting to worry. I go upstairs to take a shower and get my thoughts together when I get into my bedroom and I am notice my wallet and my roll of money is gone. I am starting to get this sinking feeling that Jessica is responsible for this. I call my uncle and let him know what happens and after about a 20 minute lecture on the phone he comes over.

I search all my other money hiding spots and notice that they found a couple of them but not all of them and after I figured it out I got about 10k stolen from me. My uncle decides to call her again from his phone and she answers. He lets her know that we know she robbed me. She plays it off and says she is at the store and will be back in about an hour. In the meantime my uncle is trying to convince me to call the police and report it but I refuse because I don't want the police to show up and then find drugs and then I am hosed. Jessica never shows up and I realize I just got basically hustled. I never saw her again and to this day if I did I still don't know how I would react. My uncle helped me clean the place up get rid of all the coke and anything else that would get me in trouble. I had left and we called the police the next day and reported it. The sad part is I didn't even know her last name, I claimed it on my insurance but was only able to get like 3 grand of it back. For the next few months anytime I went to the pool halls people kept asking me where Jessica was so I had to tell the story over and over again to relive that lovely 4 weeks of my life.

After I sat back and read this I realized this story isn't really about hustling at the pool table but it was a huge part of my life and happened because of me being a pool hustler and it also taught me a lot of valuable lessons.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Live by the hustle, die by the hustle?

lovely situation man, but you might want to re-think your whole attitude and lifestyle.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
That may not be about pool, but it's definitely about hustling. It might be my favorite story, lol.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

lovely situation man, but you might want to re-think your whole attitude and lifestyle.

Please elaborate why I should change my lifestyle and attitude. I am curious why you think that. I have a great job, own a small side buisness, and I own my house if anything my lifestyle has gotten me to this point in my life. It may not be the lifestyle you choose to lead but why should I change mine if I am pretty successful at it. I am not trying to be a dick or mad here I am seriously curious why you think this.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Did you seriously read the story and not notice that the very anecdote you read DID cause him to re-think things? That was kinda the whole point of the story?

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

jase1 posted:

Please elaborate why I should change my lifestyle and attitude. I am curious why you think that. I have a great job, own a small side buisness, and I own my house if anything my lifestyle has gotten me to this point in my life. It may not be the lifestyle you choose to lead but why should I change mine if I am pretty successful at it. I am not trying to be a dick or mad here I am seriously curious why you think this.

Obviously you didn't learn the true lesson of this story. You need to use your pool powers for good and not evil. Put on your tights, arm yourself with an arsenal of poolballs and pool sticks. Become the man you were destined to be. The hero that this moral depraved world needs. Fight crime and other hustlers around the world with your magic pool sticks and mystical pool balls. Shoot mighty english enchanted poolballs at evil doers. Make the world a better place.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

ObesePriest posted:

Obviously you didn't learn the true lesson of this story. You need to use your pool powers for good and not evil. Put on your tights, arm yourself with an arsenal of poolballs and pool sticks. Become the man you were destined to be. The hero that this moral depraved world needs. Fight crime and other hustlers around the world with your magic pool sticks and mystical pool balls. Shoot mighty english enchanted poolballs at evil doers. Make the world a better place.

I would read the Plain Dealer everyday if you started doing this, jase1

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Back from my vacation and this happened while we were there.

We decided to go to the boardwalk and hang out for the whole day drinking, eating, shopping and chilling by the beach. So me and a couple of friends are goofing off in the arcades trying to win a shitload of tickets for my friends kid so he could get something that he wanted. I get a text from my girlfriend to meet us a couple of doors down at this bar. I walk in and there is this young guy who is drunk off his rear end and he is trying hard to hit on my girlfriend and my friends girlfriends and wife. It's a really funny scene this guy has on swimtrunks no shirt and he sunburned to a crisp and drunk out of his mind. He kind of reminded me of this youtube video of a guy trying to put his sandal on and not being able to stand up straight because he practically had to lean on the bar to keep him self from falling over. It was quite a scene.

So he is trying really hard and tries to buy them all a drink they let him know that you can buy us a drink but they all are in relationships so it's not going to work. He kind of mumbles something about it probably being douchebags and I but in and let him know I am the douchebag that is dating this girl. So you can buy them a drink if you want or please just leave them alone because you are not getting anywhere. He gets this huge frown on his face and says listen here buddy I can do what I want when I want because I am on vacation! We all chuckle and I kind of push him aside so I can stand next to my girlfriend at the bar and he walks away. So a little time passes and he is still there drinking and he starts shooting pool with another guy he is with.

I am watching him and he is a pretty decent shot just drunk out of his mind so he is missing a lot but he knows how to shoot pool. He makes this awesome jump shot on the 8 ball and starts bragging about it. Saying he bets no one here can do anything like that. I tell him I could probably do it but it would take me a few tries. He says he will give me 5 shots and if I can make it in those 5 shots he will buy me and my friends a drink. I tell him to give me 10 shots at it and if I make it 2 out of 10 times then not only does he have to buy us drinks but my girlfriend gets to smack his back with her bare hand as hard as she can. If I don't make it 2 times I will give him a 100 bucks. He kind of laughs it off but I say I am serious pull out $100 bill and lay it on the table. After I buy him a beer and his buddies talk to him awhile, he finally agrees. Now I don't do many jump shots but I can do them and have made them plenty of times under pressure.

So I miss the first 3 times and he is getting quite excited and kind of jaw jacking me a little bit. Nothing mean just a little poo poo talking we are all laughing and having a good time and then I take my 4th shot and nail it. He gets quiet and starts to shake his head a little bit and his buddies start loving with him telling him he is going to lose. I miss my 5th and 6th shoot and on the 8th shoot I jump the ball but hit it to hard and it hits the 8ball off the rail and then hits the cueball again and goes in. Even the bartender gave out a little cheer on that one. We had quite the crowd looking on because the bar was pretty full so there was some spectating cheering going on. The guy says its bullshit and starts to act like it doesn't count. I tell him it counts so by all my friends a drink and lay stomach first on the pool table because you are about to get smacked. He tries to not do it but his friends tell him he has to and he finally lays stomach first on the pool table. My girlfriend walks over and smacks the poo poo out of his back and everyone is dying with laughter. There is a huge imprint of her hand on his red back and he is in major pain. Not much else happened in the way of shooting pool on this trip but that alone was worth it.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
Love your stories, keep posting them!

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Now that's just plain mean, smacking somebody with sunburn

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
Wow! Awesome I found this thread! I am actually considering joining an APA league in September here in Metro-Detroit. I am probably way below the average player. Would I be welcomed in? Or would the team I get thrown on be pissed at me for being terrible? I am mainly just looking for a group of people to play pool with and help me improve.

Also, I am looking at a cue to purchase. I noticed you said that Cuetec is good earlier on in the thread. What about length/weight? Typically I shoot with whatever the hell is at the bar/hall. I usually just roll it on the table to make sure it isn't warped or anything. If it helps, I am about 5'10." There is a billiards shop about 5 mintues from my house. Should I just go in and see what one 'feels' right? I am not sure if I would even know what 'right' feels like.

Anyways, for a slightly more on topic comment:

I honestly had no idea hustlers actually existed. Thought that was just the movies. I have been playing pool in bars and halls for about 5-6 years now and nobody has ever tried to hustle me. I am pretty terrible with a very small pool ego, so maybe that is why. Poolhall Junkies is one of my favorite movies, though.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Sypher posted:

Wow! Awesome I found this thread! I am actually considering joining an APA league in September here in Metro-Detroit. I am probably way below the average player. Would I be welcomed in? Or would the team I get thrown on be pissed at me for being terrible? I am mainly just looking for a group of people to play pool with and help me improve.

Also, I am looking at a cue to purchase. I noticed you said that Cuetec is good earlier on in the thread. What about length/weight? Typically I shoot with whatever the hell is at the bar/hall. I usually just roll it on the table to make sure it isn't warped or anything. If it helps, I am about 5'10." There is a billiards shop about 5 mintues from my house. Should I just go in and see what one 'feels' right? I am not sure if I would even know what 'right' feels like.

Anyways, for a slightly more on topic comment:

I honestly had no idea hustlers actually existed. Thought that was just the movies. I have been playing pool in bars and halls for about 5-6 years now and nobody has ever tried to hustle me. I am pretty terrible with a very small pool ego, so maybe that is why. Poolhall Junkies is one of my favorite movies, though.

You will always be welcomed in a league they need low rated players to even out their high rated players. Go speak to the league operator and let him know you are interested in joining a team. Let the operator know you are new to pool and just looking for a fun friendly team and he should be able to find you one. Just keep in mind some high rated pool players can be dicks and they might say something about you being a new guy or not a good shot. gently caress em and don't be afraid to tell them that too, they prey on weakness and if you don't stand up for yourself they will pick on you and it can get quite infuriating. They need you on the team just as much as their team needs them. If you hang out at a local bar with a table check and see if the APA runs a league there and you might get lucky and find a team with people you know. Hope it works out for you and good luck any other questions feel free to ask and if I can answer them I will.

Basically go to the shop and chat the guy up let him know you are new and he can probably find you a decent stick for anywhere between $100 and $200. Don't worry about length and weight right now just look at a couple of sticks and whatever feels comfortable to you then use that stick. If you can't find something that is comfortable then buy the cheapest stick (that doesn't have any logos on it like Budweiser or other poo poo like those sticks just suck balls) and make your self get comfortable with it. When you start practicing and as you get better you will start to understand that you might like a heavier or lighter stick or you might like a longer stick but until you a playing all the time with it you might not know what you like. Hope it works out for you and good luck any other questions feel free to ask and if I can answer them I will.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003

jase1 posted:

You will always be welcomed in a league they need low rated players to even out their high rated players. Go speak to the league operator and let him know you are interested in joining a team. Let the operator know you are new to pool and just looking for a fun friendly team and he should be able to find you one. Just keep in mind some high rated pool players can be dicks and they might say something about you being a new guy or not a good shot. gently caress em and don't be afraid to tell them that too, they prey on weakness and if you don't stand up for yourself they will pick on you and it can get quite infuriating. They need you on the team just as much as their team needs them. If you hang out at a local bar with a table check and see if the APA runs a league there and you might get lucky and find a team with people you know. Hope it works out for you and good luck any other questions feel free to ask and if I can answer them I will.

Basically go to the shop and chat the guy up let him know you are new and he can probably find you a decent stick for anywhere between $100 and $200. Don't worry about length and weight right now just look at a couple of sticks and whatever feels comfortable to you then use that stick. If you can't find something that is comfortable then buy the cheapest stick (that doesn't have any logos on it like Budweiser or other poo poo like those sticks just suck balls) and make your self get comfortable with it. When you start practicing and as you get better you will start to understand that you might like a heavier or lighter stick or you might like a longer stick but until you a playing all the time with it you might not know what you like. Hope it works out for you and good luck any other questions feel free to ask and if I can answer them I will.

Just got back from the shop. With your advice, I just tried out a few sticks and settled on a Cuetec. It was marked at $99.99. I also purchased a $75 case and the guy gave me a $20 discount.

As for the league, there is a a pretty legit pool hall two miles from my house. I previously lived in an apartment right across the street and used to go there about once a week. Back then I think they ran a league. Certain nights there would be about 50-75 people in there occupying about 5-6 tables that were roped off. Haven't been there in ages, though. Hopefully they still run!

One question: How do APA leagues work in relation to games? I know the rules of both 8 and 9 ball. Do they throw both games into league play? Or are there separate leagues for each game?

Thanks again for the advice and if you ever find yourself in the Metro Detroit area be sure to inform. Maybe I could swing by and see a true hustler in action. Regardless, I am sure I will be chalk full of questions once I get registered in the league.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Sypher posted:

Just got back from the shop. With your advice, I just tried out a few sticks and settled on a Cuetec. It was marked at $99.99. I also purchased a $75 case and the guy gave me a $20 discount.

As for the league, there is a a pretty legit pool hall two miles from my house. I previously lived in an apartment right across the street and used to go there about once a week. Back then I think they ran a league. Certain nights there would be about 50-75 people in there occupying about 5-6 tables that were roped off. Haven't been there in ages, though. Hopefully they still run!

One question: How do APA leagues work in relation to games? I know the rules of both 8 and 9 ball. Do they throw both games into league play? Or are there separate leagues for each game?

Thanks again for the advice and if you ever find yourself in the Metro Detroit area be sure to inform. Maybe I could swing by and see a true hustler in action. Regardless, I am sure I will be chalk full of questions once I get registered in the league.

That sounds perfect for your first stick. I would advise to use a bar room stick to break so you don't crack the tip or shaft and have to spend money to repair it.

The APA league here in the Cleveland area has 8 ball and 9 ball played separate but they are both in the league. A lot of players play both of them.

Detroit use to have this awesome pool hall called the rack and that place was famous. I remember my Grandfather telling me that something like 20 million dollars was gambled in that place over a short period of time and it was famous around the whole country for being the center of pool hustling. My grandfather use to run around with Cornbread Red who probably no one these days knows but he was pretty famous in the 70's and an amazing pool player. He came to my uncles pool hall a lot when he was in town and he never looked for a game he just came in to see my grandfather and they use to catch up on old times.

Keep the questions coming and I will be more than happy to help. I am friendly with the league operator in this area so I can ask him stuff too if you need help. If i am ever in town I will let you know so we can hang out and shoot a few games and hustle a few dummies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

I talked earlier in the thread about this guy name D who is basically a bodyguard for me when I go out to shoot sometimes and I saw him last night at the bar and we were reminiscing about some old times and he reminded me of a story.

I can't quite remember what year or what age I was when this happened but I decided to drive to Vegas one year for a big tournament with D and 2 girls we were hanging out with at the time. It took us 6 days to get there just because we stopped at so many different towns gambling and did a lot of sightseeing too. So we stopped at this pool hall in Des Moines Iowa that my uncle had told me about and I can't remember the name of it but it was your classic place smokey air, chalk everywhere, windows blacked out and guys just shooting pool all night long. So as soon as we walked in I could tell I was pegged as a road player people stopped shooting and took notice and started watching me shoot. I told D it was going to be a long night to get a hotel room that was across the street for the girls and then come back.

I start shooting the balls around just practicing tough shots for awhile when this guy approached me and asked where I was from. I always lie about where I am from and I always tell people I am from Schenectady, New york just because I heard that town name once and think its funny. So I am chatting this guy up about life and whatnot and he asks me if i am looking for action. I tell him I am and he says there is plenty of it here and he says he can ask around if anyone wants to play me. He says how good a shot are you and me being the egotistical dick I am I tell him I am the best shot in here. Don't know why I said it, but I did and thinking back it probably made me more money in this situation. So about an hour goes buy and D is back and we are just sitting by the table chatting it up and shooting pool when the same guy comes up to me and says he found some action for me and he will be here in about an hour when he gets off work. I tell them I am going to get something to eat and I will be back. We come back an hour later and notice the parking lot is packed and I am quite curious why. We walk in and there are people everywhere and this guy approaches me and says his name is Johnny Legs and we are gonna have some fun and gamble a little bit. He is a nice guy looks to be in his 40's or 50's and I can tell by the way he carries himself that he is king poo poo in this town. When he comes to shoot pool people show up and watch so he is kind of semi famous he talks to everyone and shakes their hand, and when he takes his coat off someone grabs it for him and hangs it on the rack. He asks me whats my game and I tell him it's his house so he can choose.

He picks banks and I have no problem with that considering I had just came off a really long gambling session with an excellent bank player a week ago and I learned some new tips on how to be a better bank player. So we decide to play 9ball banks and basically in order to win a game you have to pocket the most balls off a bank shot and not just the 9 ball. We decide on $50 a game and play for about 4 hours just going back and forth and no one can get an advantage. If I would win a a few games in a row he would come back and vice versa so neither of us could get ahead in money. It's about 3 in the morning now and the 2 girls that me and D were with come stumbling into the pool hall drunk as gently caress. They apparently raided the mini fridge in the hotel room and got more drinks from room service, which I later found out cost me close to 500 bucks. So they walk in and I swear it was like all these guys in the pool hall had never seen 2 drunk chicks before. So they are being quite annoying like most drunk people are and just laughing and being loud and obnoxious. When Johnny Legs kind of cracks a little bit and walks up to one of the girls and tells her to shut the gently caress up. D ever the ladies man gets right in Johnny Legs face and tells him to back off. There is this awkward stare down for about a minute or so and neither guy will back down until one of Johnny's friends kind of grabs him by the shoulder and talks some sense into him.

Now I know that he is frustrated and this is my chance to take advantage of it, I ask him if he wants to up the stakes to $100 a game and without even thinking about it he says sure. I let D know that this guy is frustrated so keep egging on the girls to keep acting annoying. D goes over to the jukebox and puts on a rap song that I can't remember and they start dancing around like strippers loving around at the pool tables in the back. I remember looking over once and one of the girls was bending over the table while the other one was acting like she was loving her from behind. The crowd was now focused on them instead of our match and slowly I can tell Johnny is losing his poo poo. I realize now that he has to be the center of attention for his game to work. Since barely anyone is watching now and they are focusing on the girls he starts missing shots and I go up $300 on him. I ask him if he wants to try and win the $300 back in one game and he agrees and we play the next game for $300 and I run out every shot and he is just furious now. He goes over to the guy behind the counter and says something and then the guy comes over to D and asks real nice if the girls will leave. D comes over and tells me about it and I kind of pipe up and ask everyone if they want to the girls to leave. This one guy turns around and says gently caress that this is the most action I have ever got and I am married. It kind of seems as the crowd has turned on Johnny and now they only care about the women.

Johnny throws a fit and says he isn't playing one more game until the pool room is cleared out. I kind of needle him a little bit telling him to relax and have a good time because every one else is. He tells me to gently caress off and starts putting his stick away. I start fake crying to make fun of him and he screams fine if you want to really gamble then lets do it. He pulls a grand out throws it on the table and says lets play for 1k a game. I say no problem rack them up I miss my first shot but get lucky and he has no shot and he commits a foul and gives me ball in hand I run it out and he says lets do it again. I beat him the second time and he goes from being completely furious to just dejected and sad and he says no more, packs his stick up and leaves. No one even notices that he has left because the girls are now making out on the pool table in the back. D walks over and lets the girls know it's time to leave and the crowd boos and we go back to the hotel and continue our trip to Vegas the next day.

• Locked thread