Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I've never really looked at his teams much. I know he uses cookies, but does he mix it up quite a bit from team to team? Or is it the same 24 guys with one different player each time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
He does mix it up a fair bit, at least where cookies are concerned. He seems to have something of a pool of guys he will use and will sort of pick and choose from those guys. Just from those four ToC teams, for example, his cookie hitters run:

1925 Max Carey
1975 Gary Carter
2001 Luis Castillo
2007 Chone Figgins
1981 Tim Raines

1925 Max Carey
1984 Willie Wilson

1987 Vince Coleman
1975 Gary Carter
1999 Luis Castillo
1932 Babe Ruth
2007 Chone Figgins
1981 Tim Raines

1925 Max Carey
1975 Gary Carter
2001 Cristian Guzman
1995 Wade Boggs
1981 Tim Raines

Sometimes he'll throw in seemingly random non-cookies, sometimes he just makes a straight all cookie team. He's a little all over the place.

The one guy he seems to use most often, by a country mile, is 1968 Denny McLain, which I think is kind of interesting. He seems to use a grab bag of the standard deadballers to round out his rotations, Addie isn't really any more common than Cy Young or Three Finger or anyone else.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I mentioned this in the Pick 6 league chat but seriously I got 20 Ks in 9 IP and lost and it wasn't even close. Melido Perez: not very good.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I have the second highest scoring offense in Hometown.

I have a lineup that is all right handers and switch hitters.

This guy just threw six shutout innings against me.

This game is dumb sometimes.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I have the second highest scoring offense in Hometown.

I have a lineup that is all right handers and switch hitters.

This guy just threw six shutout innings against me.

This game is dumb sometimes.
Equally frustrating: the Rangers were shut down by Bruce Chen last week. I guess it just happens from time to time.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

The themes for the first round of the WiSC 2012 were announced last week. It would be nice if we could get more than 3 people signed up this year but I understand it's a bit of a hefty commitment. I haven't studied the themes too closely yet so I'm not sure if they're good or bad.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Ivan Drago posted:

The themes for the first round of the WiSC 2012 were announced last week. It would be nice if we could get more than 3 people signed up this year but I understand it's a bit of a hefty commitment. I haven't studied the themes too closely yet so I'm not sure if they're good or bad.

I like them, but they're mostly pretty high on the difficulty scale.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I like them, but they're mostly pretty high on the difficulty scale.
The $80m Progressive/Regressive theme seems crazy. I'm not a huge fan of the $110m Silver King theme but the rest of them all lend themselves to hours and hours of tinkering trying to get the perfect combo.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

the rest of them all lend themselves to hours and hours of tinkering trying to get the perfect combo.

I think I may have found my 90m team on my second try, fwiw.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I think I may have found my 90m team on my second try, fwiw.
My $70m team requires no thought at all and will probably be the same franchise half the entrants use, but it worked well for me in the low-budget theme in last year's opening round. The $90m theme is actually the only one I don't have any clue where to begin.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

What I think is kind of funny about the clone theme is that the hardest part won't be figuring out how to fill the positions but what clones to use that allow you to put a cheap bench/pen together.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Now that I have the money to do this, i'm seriously thinking about it. I probably shouldn't though, since i'm terrible at this.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I assume everyone will use the Mets at $70m, as will I because yayyyyy Mets

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure why the Mets are automatically a better choice than any other team. That league is basically just a low cap Rule V league with no drafting.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

I'm not sure why the Mets are automatically a better choice than any other team. That league is basically just a low cap Rule V league with no drafting.

HoJo

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

They also have a lot of semi-good pitchers at reasonable prices for a low cap league with guys like Fernandez, Viola, Cone, Leiter, etc. Todd Hundley is the real secret weapon though. I've got a Mets team partially built but I may scrap it to try a Rangers build, which I'm sure would make me the only one (and for good reason probably).

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
any interest in a goonrush so i can use the team i've had built for the last month?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Pretty excited for this upcoming season in Hometown.

So far so good

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

That AL North has four incredibly bad team names

I know that wasn't the point of the picture but jesus

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

And Milwaukee is doing as good a job as I've ever seen in ruining top prospects. Remember this guy?

He's currently in the majors. Moreover, his ML hitting coach is a 66, his fielding instructor is rated 43. He has a 76 AAA hitting coach. His ML hitting coach has a better fielding rating than his FI. He has gained one point in glove and 0 points in arm accuracy since he was drafted last season.

That dude has a couple other first overall/top end prospects, too, all in the majors.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

These kind of games are magical.

My pick six team is pretty much my favorite team ever. I don't even care if it collapses and misses the playoffs.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Meanwhile my pick 6 team is on a L8 despite the best efforts of John Olerud and Dante Bichette

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

MooMoos is a great name

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

yeah what kind of dweeb actually uses "cincinnati red stockings"

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
All four of my SLB teams are playing like complete poo poo right now. Two straight 0-4 cycles and I don't think any of them is better than 4-6 in the last 10.

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

After a decent PM cycle the PM2 cycle gave me my 4th 0-4 in the last 3 days :sigh:

I'm blowing what I thought were some really locked down playoff seeds/appearances.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

I don't think I've ever seen this happen before. Also there is a pitcher pinch-hitting for some reason.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm seriously considering taking one of the last spots for the WIS championship. Sure, i'll probably be terrible, but it probably couldn't hurt to try.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm seriously considering taking one of the last spots for the WIS championship. Sure, i'll probably be terrible, but it probably couldn't hurt to try.

I think you'd have a decent shot at making round 2. At the very top it's a strong owner pool but most of the field would badly struggle in goon leagues.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Looks like I just missed out :( Hopefully some dudes drop out.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
How many IP/PA should I be aiming for with a $40m league?

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

foolish_fool posted:

$40m league?

:stonk:

I really have no idea how to even approach that.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I have no idea if its going to work but I ended up with this:

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
So we have 2 openings in the Mordecai world I, gyro and CJL are members of. Some of you owners should join, it is a great world.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
drat, I just got called out (kind of) on the HBD forums: http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=456351&TopicsTimeframe=30

I didn't actually study anyone's budget, I just bidded up to my limit plus a dollar in case it was anyone else's limit, and got lucky that it apparently was. :shobon:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

As if people don't make x,xxx,xx1 offers all the time :confused:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Quasimango posted:

drat, I just got called out (kind of) on the HBD forums: http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=456351&TopicsTimeframe=30

I didn't actually study anyone's budget, I just bidded up to my limit plus a dollar in case it was anyone else's limit, and got lucky that it apparently was. :shobon:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Would they still be upset if you were like $500 over their bid?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I make totally random bids for IFAs all the time. I probably should start doing it more for regular FAs too. I think I got made fun of in IRC one time when my bid on some guy was like $7,121,314 but that's just how I roll :v:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Would they still be upset if you were like $500 over their bid?

No because you see the $1 demonstrated that he had inside knowledge about the other teams' payrolls and bids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Yeah, I don't think anyone's really angry over it, just smacking their heads at missing out like that.

Was an insane offseason though, five guys got a +100m contract.

• Locked thread