Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulvarine
Mar 23, 2008
I don't live in the Cupertino area anymore, but that Sunnyvale Sprouts was up and running back in October for sure. Seemed pretty overpriced to me. I mean, poo poo, there's a Ranch 99 over on Wolfe/Homestead, and a slightly mindblowing little grocer on Homestead/Blaney that has the best produce around for super cheap.

Los Angeles is all about Super King markets. It's the kind of place where you can walk out with a full cart for thirty bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Valdara posted:

THAT Mi Pueblo? I thought that was just a taqueria. I've walked past it on my way to Hobee's. Will def check it out. I get my bike back from the shop next week, so basically everything is within biking distance around here. I'll keep you updated if I find anything particularly amazing/egregious.

Yep, that Mi Pueblo. If you want a taqueria nearby, go to La Babma. It's right next to Fresh & Easy and it's hella good. Sometimes I have lunch there before shopping so I don't feel compelled to buy a million things. They also have a location downtown so you can fill up before hitting all the bars, but that's for a different thread, I think.

I've never been to that particular Hobee's either, but I used to hit up the one in Cupertino for hangover food fairly regularly. The guava mimosas were pretty good, and you got your own personal bottle of champagne.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Mizufusion posted:

Yep, that Mi Pueblo. If you want a taqueria nearby, go to La Babma. It's right next to Fresh & Easy and it's hella good. Sometimes I have lunch there before shopping so I don't feel compelled to buy a million things. They also have a location downtown so you can fill up before hitting all the bars, but that's for a different thread, I think.

I've never been to that particular Hobee's either, but I used to hit up the one in Cupertino for hangover food fairly regularly. The guava mimosas were pretty good, and you got your own personal bottle of champagne.

I'm plumb full up on food right now, but I will do some exploring in the next week or so.

Also, I hope you had the coffee cake at Hobee's. Going there and not having coffee cake is like going to Disneyland but not riding any rides.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Greater Los Angeles Area folks, if there is a Jon's supermarket near you, GO THERE. I was afraid of it for years but it turns out to be awesome despite looking like a lovely Vons knockoff. Their produce is loving beautiful and jawdroppingly inexpensive.

big rig nig
Jun 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What are some good recipes that incorporate chicken breasts? I bought one of the frozen 3 lb bags and the suggested baking on tinfoil is too boring even for me.

Also, is it cheaper to buy frozen hamburger patties, or buy the meat and shape/season the patty yourself?

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

big rig nig posted:

What are some good recipes that incorporate chicken breasts? I bought one of the frozen 3 lb bags and the suggested baking on tinfoil is too boring even for me.

Also, is it cheaper to buy frozen hamburger patties, or buy the meat and shape/season the patty yourself?

1) Return them and get something else.
2) If you want to keep them, my favorite method for plain breasts is to thaw in the fridge, then rinse off and pat dry, stick in a ziplock baggie or in a pan or something, thinly coat with olive oil and whatever spices you want, let it hang out while you preheat the oven to 350. Bake until internal temperature is 165. I actually get pretty moist, flavorful, tasty chicken breast this way, but I stopped buying them in favor of more interesting (cheaper/tastier) meat.
3) Slice it up, pan cook it, cover in delicious sauce.

Buy the meat and season/shape it yourself. Way tastier, way cheaper, and only has the additives that YOU put in it. Also usable for many other delicious dishes.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

big rig nig posted:

Dip in flour, dip in egg, coat with Panko bread crumbs, then fry.

big rig nig
Jun 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Valdara posted:

1) Return them and get something else.
2) If you want to keep them, my favorite method for plain breasts is to thaw in the fridge, then rinse off and pat dry, stick in a ziplock baggie or in a pan or something, thinly coat with olive oil and whatever spices you want, let it hang out while you preheat the oven to 350. Bake until internal temperature is 165. I actually get pretty moist, flavorful, tasty chicken breast this way, but I stopped buying them in favor of more interesting (cheaper/tastier) meat.
3) Slice it up, pan cook it, cover in delicious sauce.

Buy the meat and season/shape it yourself. Way tastier, way cheaper, and only has the additives that YOU put in it. Also usable for many other delicious dishes.

Uh, do you have any alternatives to recommend for the frozen breasts then? They seemed like a really good deal, and I like white meat/not being pressured to cook it right away.

Edit: Also, can ground beef or whatever hamburgers are made out of be frozen?

big rig nig fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 14, 2012

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Chop 'em up, marinate them and stir fry them with veg? Chop 'em up and add them to whatever pasta sauce you have going? Marinate them and make chicken burgers? Coat them in yoghurt and spices and grill them? There's very little you can't do with chicken breasts, though ice cream may be a bad idea.

Also, chop 'em up and add them to soup.

Edit: ground beef sure can be frozen.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 14, 2012

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

big rig nig posted:

Uh, do you have any alternatives to recommend for the frozen breasts then? They seemed like a really good deal, and I like white meat/not being pressured to cook it right away.

Edit: Also, can ground beef or whatever hamburgers are made out of be frozen?

I just gave you two different ways to cook them: bake on foil but with olive oil and spices to give it a tasty flavor and slice up, cook in pan, cover with sauce. Curries, mole, tomato sauce and have over pasta, a cream sauce and have over pasta, roasted with a bunch of vegetables. Harminoff's frying suggestion is also good. There are a million things you can do with them.

Yup, you can freeze ground meat. You can even shape it into burgers and freeze those so you have your own fresh, tasty, seasoned to your liking frozen burger patties. Do you want specific recipes and directions, or are these general suggestions enough to get you started?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Harminoff posted:

Dip in flour, dip in egg, coat with Panko bread crumbs, then fry.
This is what I do. They are really good and will impress your friends who can't cook!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

big rig nig posted:

My favorite, easy, go-to (I'm so asian) method is to slice thing into match sticks, coat with cornstarch, salt, pepper, spices (typically smoked paprika). Stir fry with veggies in a sauce of soy sauce and shaoxing wine.

Valdara posted:

I just gave you two different ways to cook them: bake on foil but with olive oil and spices to give it a tasty flavor and slice up, cook in pan, cover with sauce. Curries, mole, tomato sauce and have over pasta, a cream sauce and have over pasta, roasted with a bunch of vegetables. Harminoff's frying suggestion is also good. There are a million things you can do with them.

Yup, you can freeze ground meat. You can even shape it into burgers and freeze those so you have your own fresh, tasty, seasoned to your liking frozen burger patties. Do you want specific recipes and directions, or are these general suggestions enough to get you started?

You said you preferred other tastier/cheaper meat, so I think he's asking alternative meats to chicken breast.

big rig nig
Jun 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks for the ideas everybody. Also, what's the best way to store frozen meat to keep it fresh? Ziplock bags?

Valdara posted:

But I was asking wh-

Rurutia posted:

You said you preferred other tastier/cheaper meat, so I think he's asking alternative meats to chicken breast.

Yeah.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

big rig nig posted:

Thanks for the ideas everybody. Also, what's the best way to store frozen meat to keep it fresh? Ziplock bags?

But I was asking wh-

Yeah.

Chicken thighs are cheaper and significantly tastier.

big rig nig
Jun 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GrAviTy84 posted:

Can you get them boneless and skinless though? I'm sort of lazy and I don't like touching bones.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

big rig nig posted:

Can you get them boneless and skinless though? I'm sort of lazy and I don't like touching bones.

if you must, but the bones and the skin are where a lot of the flavor is.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

big rig nig posted:

But I was asking wh-

Yeah.

Mea culpa. I thought "alternatives for" meant recipes rather than "alternatives to". Anyway, boneless/skinless thighs are an option for frozen. Alternately buy fresh chicken of any sort (quarters, thighs either bone in or Bonless/Skinless, legs, safeway has packages of b/s breasts AND thighs sometimes), portion it out, and stick it in your freezer. Again, it's much cheaper and tastier, doesn't have as many additives as the packaged frozen chicken breasts, and you have more control over how it's seasoned and prepared.

Check the circulars of the store to see what's on sale and go for whatever's cheap or the best deal (like tritip for $4 a pound instead of $7, which is still cheaper than b/s chicken breast). Get cheap meat and then google it for ideas. If you can't find ideas, go to the general questions thread and ask. Folks there are super helpful for people who want to learn how to make more kinds of awesome food.

I store frozen meat in ziplock bags, but I fret over how wasteful it is. Still trying to find a better method that is less wasteful but also sanitary.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Valdara posted:

I store frozen meat in ziplock bags, but I fret over how wasteful it is. Still trying to find a better method that is less wasteful but also sanitary.

Wrap in waxed paper (like the kind that comes in the boxes at restaurant supply stores, the kinds you use at a donut cabinet), and freeze in a cambro. The wax paper will keep the individuals from sticking to each other, and the cambro will keep them separate and organized from all the other food.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wrap in waxed paper (like the kind that comes in the boxes at restaurant supply stores, the kinds you use at a donut cabinet), and freeze in a cambro. The wax paper will keep the individuals from sticking to each other, and the cambro will keep them separate and organized from all the other food.

I'm assuming that will work with other freezer-safe containers. I have tupperware coming out my ears and have zero space to store any more. Now to start searching for donut papers.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Valdara posted:

I'm assuming that will work with other freezer-safe containers. I have tupperware coming out my ears and have zero space to store any more. Now to start searching for donut papers.

Smart and final should have them

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Valdara posted:

A foodsaver costs less than a hundred dollars and will pay for itself in a year. Buying mass quantities of meats and cheeses in bulk and separating it yourself is probably the best way to save money. Plus buying a chunk of cheese, using half of it, and being able to use the other half 2 months later is awesome.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

indoflaven posted:

A foodsaver costs less than a hundred dollars and will pay for itself in a year. Buying mass quantities of meats and cheeses in bulk and separating it yourself is probably the best way to save money. Plus buying a chunk of cheese, using half of it, and being able to use the other half 2 months later is awesome.

or this, but it's just as wasteful as ziplocs, a smidge more expensive, and a slight bit more effort. It protects from freezer burn a lot better than all other options, though. Depends on how long you tend to sit on frozen meat without eating it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Valdara posted:

Also, I hope you had the coffee cake at Hobee's. Going there and not having coffee cake is like going to Disneyland but not riding any rides.

What kind of monster do you think I am? <:mad:>

Valdara posted:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Smart and final should have them

There's a Smart & Final on El Camino, off of Grant. My roommate bought a million half-pint jars there to make jam for Christmas presents last year. Unfortunately he never actually got around to making anything, so I use them for canning fruits and veggies that we have excess of. Still have a metric buttload of frozen berries taking up space in my freezer, though. Should probably do something about that. :sigh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GrAviTy84 posted:

Chicken thighs are certainly better, but they're starting to not be so much cheaper than bone-in breasts as people see the light.

The cheapest way is to just buy a whole chicken and break it down (or just roast it), but for someone who thinks bones are icky, that might be hard. It is however, extremely easy and you can cut it down on a weekend and have it ready for a weekday.
Plus you can get the hippy free range, humane stuff for less than the water filled supermarket boneless breasts. Tastes better too!

nm fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 15, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

+1 on buying whole and butchering. It's nothing to be afraid of. You will be slow at first but eventually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkj-ZB6JPhE

Valdara posted:

Just saw a commercial for these, sounds like you might be interested:

http://www.ziploc.com/WhatsNew/Pages/whatsnew_perfectportions.aspx

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 15, 2012

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just saw a commercial for these, sounds like you might be interested:

http://www.ziploc.com/WhatsNew/Pages/whatsnew_perfectportions.aspx

Mizufusion posted:

There's a Smart & Final on El Camino, off of Grant... Still have a metric buttload of frozen berries taking up space in my freezer, though. Should probably do something about that. :sigh:

I'll keep an eye out and go check S&F. My mr needs to take his car in to have the brakes checked tomorrow, so I may drag him around on a journey of shopping for random things while that is happening.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GrAviTy84 posted:

+1 on buying whole and butchering. It's nothing to be afraid of. You will be slow at first but eventually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkj-ZB6JPhE
Plus it gives you a chance to play with a knife!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

GrAviTy84 posted:

I hear this over and over, but the one time I bought thighs they were really gross - loads of sinew and blood vessels and they just... didn't cook nicely. They were boneless and I put cheese in them, folded them and put bacon on top - nothing out of the ordinary. Did I just get bad thighs? It put me off entirely because they were bordering on inedible, but I don't like this feeling that I'm missing out on cheap, delicious meat!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

I hear this over and over, but the one time I bought thighs they were really gross - loads of sinew and blood vessels and they just... didn't cook nicely. They were boneless and I put cheese in them, folded them and put bacon on top - nothing out of the ordinary. Did I just get bad thighs? It put me off entirely because they were bordering on inedible, but I don't like this feeling that I'm missing out on cheap, delicious meat!

Sounds like you just got lovely meat. Stuffing chicken is generally awful though. In order to get the internal stuff to the right (safe) temperature, you need to cook the flesh to poo poo. And really, stuffing does nothing to the flavors of properly prepared meat. A layperson may think, oh hey the flavors will infuse into the meat, but that's not true. You get far more flavor mileage out of brining, marinating, or a well prepared finishing sauce than you do with stuffing. If you do the former as opposed to the latter, you can then execute what you would have stuffed into the meat in a significantly better manner.

Same is true with wrapping things with bacon. Two scenarios: wrapping a skin on chicken with bacon and wrapping a skinless chicken with bacon. For the former, because the skin is covered completely with bacon, you are trapping the moisture and will just end up with gummy fatty skin. The latter case, the same moisture problem keeps the bacon from becoming crispy. If you manage to get the bacon crispy it means that you've removed all of the moisture in direct contact with it. This means the chicken meat will be very dry and over cooked. This is all a moot effort because chickens come with the most perfectly designed crispy fat layer already laminated to their surface: chicken skin. Learn how to properly render chicken skin and you will never have the urge to wrap it in bacon ever again.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Thanks for the tips. This was ages ago and I was just looking for a zero-effort meal, but I'll keep what you said in mind. I'm going to be living in an area with a bunch of butchers' shops soon, so I'll be able to go and have a gander at the meat, and hopefully find some nicer thighs. Hooray!

Duece Ex Machina
Aug 6, 2008
I started buying thighs instead of breasts on the recommendations of this forum, and I think my favorite part is that I don't even need to waste any additional fat in order to cook them; cooking them skin down on medium high heat for 4-5 minutes gives me a super crispy, delicious crust every time.

My typical preparation is to take some thyme and/or rosemary and garlic and put them underneath the skin, and then cook it. Is this the best way to impart those flavors on the whole thigh?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Duece Ex Machina posted:

I started buying thighs instead of breasts on the recommendations of this forum, and I think my favorite part is that I don't even need to waste any additional fat in order to cook them; cooking them skin down on medium high heat for 4-5 minutes gives me a super crispy, delicious crust every time.

My typical preparation is to take some thyme and/or rosemary and garlic and put them underneath the skin, and then cook it. Is this the best way to impart those flavors on the whole thigh?

That is certainly an effective and simple way to do it, so that's what I would recommend. Marinades can impart a little flavor as well, but typically lack penetration so you don't get flavor deep into the meat.

Short version: Cooking the meat with the herbs and spices tucked under the skin imparts good strong flavor and can help prevent the herbs from burning.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

Thanks for the tips. This was ages ago and I was just looking for a zero-effort meal, but I'll keep what you said in mind. I'm going to be living in an area with a bunch of butchers' shops soon, so I'll be able to go and have a gander at the meat, and hopefully find some nicer thighs. Hooray!

Also, get them with bones. You will be amazed at how much better they cook up with bones.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER

nm posted:

Also, get them with bones. You will be amazed at how much better they cook up with bones.

On top of being cheaper, nearly everything tastes better with bones (plus stock capabilities, helloooooo). I don't get why people buy meat without bones, unless it's a cut that's boneless (i.e. certain cuts of steak). This is a really good book, imo: Bones: Recipe, History, and Lore.

I do sympathize with those who don't enjoy the flavor of chicken thighs proper, however. I doubt poor quality meat is the issue, since I've tried 'em from cheap-rear end freezer bags to local, humanely raised chickens that I break down myself. They're just too greasy with a very weird, odd texture. I usually feel that "all food tastes good, and if you don't like something, it's because it hasn't been prepared well". But I make an exception to that rule for chicken thighs, yeesh. Now, chicken drumsticks are the poo poo, I could eat those everyday.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I've been cooking tons of indian food lately and it's super cheap and delicious.

I went to the Indian market and spent $20 on spices (and even the smallest bags were huge, so you could easily split these with 2 or 3 friends, a quarter of my bag of mustard seeds filled up a normal spice jar, will take me months and months to get through IF I cook Indian regularly). I also picked up some chiles that were like $0.30 for 6, and only didn't buy mangoes ($10 for a CASE) because I was carrying stuff home on the bus.

Pick up some rice and lentils (I bought urad dal and chana dal because I knew recipes for them) and you're on your way to delicious food!

I've made lemon rice, mattar paneer, and spiced urad dal so far (one recipe from a friend and the others just found on Google) and it was all delicious.

Tip: A lot of Indian recipes may avoid onion and garlic, and sub in hing (asafetida) instead. Unless you also refuse to eat onions and garlic, I highly recommend that you avoid hing. It's a substitute for delicious onions and garlic, but it smells like the devil's own rear end in a top hat. You can easily sub in garlic/onion powder (or better yet, fresh) in the recipes that call for hing.

I'm a raw beginner at Indian cooking, but I love how flavourful everything is and cheap and easy to cook.

Sorry for the crappy phone pictures.

Mattar Paneer:
Recipe: http://mydhaba.blogspot.com/2005/11/mattar-paneer-masala.html
(next time I am going to try making my own paneer as it was a little expensive for the cheese)

Indian Lemon Rice:
(recipe from a friend)

quote:

2 cups of cooked rice
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 1/2 tsp urad dal
1/4 cup peanuts (I had cashews on hand so I just used those)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 pinch asafetida (hing) (No thanks, I added a pinch each of onion and garlic powder)
1/4 c lemon juice
1 tsp oil (I used canola)
1 T salt
1/4 c coriander leaves (cilantro)

Fry the peanuts in the oil until they brown, on low heat.
Add the other spices and fry for 2 minutes
Mix in the rice and lemon juice, stir until uniformly yellow but try not to mush up the rice too much.
Garnish with Coriander leaves.

One change I would make would be to soak the urad dal for 5-10 minutes first. I didn't, and it was weird and crunchy the first time I ate the rice. Once it was leftovers a day later, I guess it had softened from the surrounding moist rice and was fine, but it was a little weird. When I made a recipe focused on Urad dal later that day, I found that they recommended soaking AND boiling it, so maybe my friend just forgot this step, or the texture didn't matter to her.

Spiced Urad Dal:
Recipe: http://www.indianfoodforever.com/daal/urad-daal.html

Dal on left, rice on right.

EVG fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 17, 2012

MuffinShark
Sep 9, 2010
Moving to Austin,Tx from LA. I am a little afraid that I have become very dependent on the cheap produce here in LA. Anyone have any luck getting great deals on produce in Austin? Thanks for the help guys.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Render your own pig fat. It takes a long time but lard is so good.

You can also use it to make some rillettes for that homemade bread. Or use it in soups. Or baking. Anything.

It costs something absurd where I like, like $0.50/pound.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Shbobdb posted:

Render your own pig fat. It takes a long time but lard is so good.

You can also use it to make some rillettes for that homemade bread. Or use it in soups. Or baking. Anything.

It costs something absurd where I like, like $0.50/pound.

Lard is pretty drat cheap though, nothing wrong with making your own but it's not really a necessity if you get lard from a latin or asian market.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

MuffinShark posted:

Moving to Austin,Tx from LA. I am a little afraid that I have become very dependent on the cheap produce here in LA. Anyone have any luck getting great deals on produce in Austin? Thanks for the help guys.
Fiesta Mart on the northbound I-35 frontage road, at about 45th. The only way to fly. It's a big cheerful Mexican market that strongly resembles the Cancun Wal-Mart. Sometimes they get in avocado and mango price wars with the HEB in the Hancock Center on the other side of the highway.

If you want to splurge on fancy produce or pick up great, cheap bulk spices, go to Central Market on Lamar, emphatically not the Whole Foods mothership. CMart is cheaper and the downtown Whole Foods is even more infuriating than Whole Foods usually is.

Wheatsville Co-Op sometimes has a free box.

(And it's "y'all", not "guys". Might as well get used to it now.)

spite house fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

EVG posted:

Tip: A lot of Indian recipes may avoid onion and garlic, and sub in hing (asafetida) instead. Unless you also refuse to eat onions and garlic, I highly recommend that you avoid hing. It's a substitute for delicious onions and garlic, but it smells like the devil's own rear end in a top hat. You can easily sub in garlic/onion powder (or better yet, fresh) in the recipes that call for hing.
Not really true