Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Roxy is not only the best character but clearly far more competent than all of these other chucklefucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Aw, I'm really glad she's trying to help the Carapaces. :3

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Midnight Raider posted:

Update. Best kid revealed.

TT: Are you sober enough to do all that?
TG: i think
TG: the answer
TG: unfortunately
TG: is yes
TG: :[

Never have I related so much with a Homestuck character before.

fakedit: Still can't get over how good Vol 9 is!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
She's typing like a sober person, too. All that work and, apparently, the devil's headache. Not an enviable position!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Midnight Raider posted:

quote:

TG: roguish is better it means sly

YES.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Well duh. As the manifestation of Homestuck fans in troll-form, he'd have to have the Mary Sue characteristic of having every flaw of every troll and every power of every troll. :colbert:

He/she is a psychic, has robot legs, a bifurcated personality, mutant red/super rare lime blood, a shipping wall, is a rainbow drinker, can see via smelling, is super lucky, incredibly STRONG, LOVES sopor slime, has zero chances at romance and is a seadweller.

The ultimate troll.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Slime posted:

He/she is a psychic, has robot legs, a bifurcated personality, mutant red/super rare lime blood, a shipping wall, is a rainbow drinker, can see via smelling, is super lucky, incredibly STRONG, LOVES sopor slime, has zero chances at romance and is a seadweller.

The ultimate troll.
Favorite pastimes include: lying near-catatonic on the floor, crushed beneath the combined weight of his/her manifold neurosis; spasming occasionally depending on the whims of his/her unfathomably hosed up and misfiring brain.

do not steal

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

inklesspen posted:

Courtyard Droll is humorously incompetent, but not that incompetent.

Uh, check out the page again. It's not that Jake was allergic to them, it's just that CD managed to inadvertently suffocate dream Jake with the bits of orange candy foam.

He somehow incompetented his way into a job well done.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No I'm pretty sure they were real peanuts.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm very curious about Roxy saving the carapaces. That's basically the first time anyone's taken an active interest in trying to save people not directly related to the game. I suppose without a living guardian, they're effectively her extended family. It seemed like that in the first place, of course, but for convenience's sake I was expecting the story might just quietly ignore them as it likes to do with some emotional complications.

If they die (and that seems pretty likely) it might have a similar effect on Roxy as losing their guardians did on the B1 kids. At the very least, if it doesn't prompt much from Roxy now it's going to feel weirder than if they'd never been addressed at all.

Emotional impact aside, I wonder what they'll make of the Incipisphere if they have the chance? Being earth-born 'natural' carapace people, they've never been there. How will the native Prospitian and Dersite inhabitants (who are actually their ancestors) react to them and their integrated living?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dolash posted:

I'm very curious about Roxy saving the carapaces. That's basically the first time anyone's taken an active interest in trying to save people not directly related to the game.

I'd say that's a symptom of her being the only kid to have ever interacted with non-game related characters before game entry. John, Rose, Dave, Jade, Jane, Jake, Dirk, none of them had anyone to save. If they did they might've tried.

In this case the carapace people are a Chekhov's Gun: they were not introduced only to be forgotten afterwards.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009
If Roxy does save them, they'll probably continue to be confused and directionless until WV appears and becomes their leader, and they stage Pawn Revolution 2.0.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Midnight Raider posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought that while reading the update.

Roxy quit it, you were already the best alpha kid, you don't need to be the best character.

(I'm so glad she's trying to rescue them, I really hope this leads to something interesting).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Scale Model Giant posted:

If Roxy does save them, they'll probably continue to be confused and directionless until WV appears and becomes their leader, and they stage Pawn Revolution 2.0.

Of course, he will become their leader by virtue of becoming Lord English and Pawn Revolution 2.0 will be the Felt.

What color does WV eat compulsively? Green. What color are frogs (universes)? Green. QED.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Gabriel Pope posted:

What color does WV eat compulsively? Green. What color are frogs (universes)? Green. QED.

Lord English is also green.

Where's your logic now? :smugbert:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

Lord English is also green.

How do you think he ended up with his pegleg?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

YF-23 posted:

I'd say that's a symptom of her being the only kid to have ever interacted with non-game related characters before game entry. John, Rose, Dave, Jade, Jane, Jake, Dirk, none of them had anyone to save. If they did they might've tried.

In this case the carapace people are a Chekhov's Gun: they were not introduced only to be forgotten afterwards.

It was pretty obvious the other kids didn't have any real-world friends so they didn't really know anyone else to save, and we also happen to know that they didn't have much time to get into the medium either, but if they'd been interested in saving lives John could've tried rounding up some of his own neighbours or Dave could've tried the apartments next door. I know, I know, practically speaking they were unlikely to go with some kid who's convinced they can escape a meteorite, but the option was open and unacknowledged.

The carapace people here feel like they're a Chekhov's gun only retroactively - if we weren't seeing them now and Roxy was just trying to save themselves we'd all dismiss it as just part of her background but now since she's trying to save them it must be that they were introduced in the first place to foreshadow that she'd want to try to rescue them.

Homestuck's full of stuff that may or may not be foreshadowing and we'll only know after the fact. Arguing about what it all means is probably our single favourite pass-time.

Side note: Fifteen carapace people are visible in the shot, although the line appears to trail between two buildings implying more. None of them have unique character models so none of them are explicit individuals. This could be a pretty sizable population. If they're not all killed by red miles in a minute to Roxy's dismay, I sort of wonder how they'll all pack in to her room.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 14, 2012

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
It didn't take me long to like Roxy, but it's funny, because when Roxy was first introduced (hell, even earlier, when we first heard her speak/type before seeing her placronym), I thought her quirk was really stupid and it felt really forced. "Haha look at her she is drunk and sucks at typing because she is drunk! So wacky."

And yet here we are. :swoon:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dolash posted:

It was pretty obvious the other kids didn't have any real-world friends so they didn't really know anyone else to save, and we also happen to know that they didn't have much time to get into the medium either, but if they'd been interested in saving lives John could've tried rounding up some of his own neighbours or Dave could've tried the apartments next door. I know, I know, practically speaking they were unlikely to go with some kid who's convinced they can escape a meteorite, but the option was open and unacknowledged.

John didn't find out there was a meteor coming until he only had 3 minutes left - both he and Dave pretty much got out just under the wire.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

fatherdog posted:

John didn't find out there was a meteor coming until he only had 3 minutes left - both he and Dave pretty much got out just under the wire.

Oh yeah no doubt, and it's the practical answer, but it's also something no one's ever talked about or considered. John's never stopped to say "If I'd had another minute maybe I could've gotten old man Gregson from next door into the house in time, but he's dead now".

The story's just rarely focused on the idea that whole planets are getting wiped out and everyone on them is killed and how that would affect someone, so seeing one of the players actively try to save others goes beyond "aw that's adorable Roxy's the best." It's pretty significant for the story to even acknowledge the players having attachment to their worlds and the people on them rather than quickly brushing them under the rug for the sake of narrative convenience. Again though, that might be just because the carapace people are sort of substitute-guardians for Roxy.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Well another thing to consider for John at least is that he had no clue how the game worked at that point, and the only meteor near impact at the time was heading towards his house. He didn't know what would happen when he bit the apple, and he thought Sburb would save Earth until Nannasprite explained things to him. The others though, yeah they would have more information to work with.

Edit: Unrelated, but I hope Andrew answers some of those Reddit questions soon. Some of the top voted ones are kind of dumb (though thankfully it seems better than some of the dumb questions Andrew would get otherwise), but there are some genuinely interesting questions there too.

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 14, 2012

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I think Dave at least had the most time, knowledge and opportunity to round up other neighbors. Rose and Jade lived in very isolated areas, but Dave was in an apartment and had 4 hours.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dolash posted:

Oh yeah no doubt, and it's the practical answer, but it's also something no one's ever talked about or considered. John's never stopped to say "If I'd had another minute maybe I could've gotten old man Gregson from next door into the house in time, but he's dead now".

The story's just rarely focused on the idea that whole planets are getting wiped out and everyone on them is killed and how that would affect someone, so seeing one of the players actively try to save others goes beyond "aw that's adorable Roxy's the best." It's pretty significant for the story to even acknowledge the players having attachment to their worlds and the people on them rather than quickly brushing them under the rug for the sake of narrative convenience. Again though, that might be just because the carapace people are sort of substitute-guardians for Roxy.

Considering Dirk and Roxy are the last two humans alive in their timeline, I wonder if Roxy's isolation might translate into her current attempts to scavenge up the only vague sense of a community she's had. With people who have spent their whole lives, however remote from the rest of the population, without that sort of context it might be hard to even conceive of something like "I need to grab as many people as possible, because we are going to be the last people alive."

How someone might act when faced with total armageddon in less than a half hour from absolutely no build up is a weird thing to think about, without even adding in weird ".. but I can whisk us away to a magical game construct!" on top of it.

And then there's the thought of, like-- if those people were supposed to survive, then they would have, then the kids would have had those thoughts, because this is one big predestination mind-gently caress. But, they didn't have those thoughts-- was that by design, maybe? Maybe there are no viable timelines where they're gripped with existential despair at the annihilation of their species, or where they tried to carve out some time to grab the nearest person to their house.

99 times out of 100, they might react like we'd expect them to-- but those 99 times result in a dead session, so we get the one where everything lines up and they just don't think about it.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Looks like Anbroids 1.0 will be released for download on Malcolm Brown's tumblr tomorrow:

quote:

Alright, enough games! Tomorrow it’s time to dissect Anbroids 2.0 and SUPER BONUS UNLOCKED : Anbroids 1.0 download will be there as well!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By the way, is there a reason Miasmajesty is free? Was it always that way? Or was there an update to it?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Nate RFB posted:

By the way, is there a reason Miasmajesty is free? Was it always that way? Or was there an update to it?

I think there was a glitch so Radiation uploaded a free version for folks that have purchased it already.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Dolash posted:

Side note: Fifteen carapace people are visible in the shot, although the line appears to trail between two buildings implying more. None of them have unique character models so none of them are explicit individuals. This could be a pretty sizable population. If they're not all killed by red miles in a minute to Roxy's dismay, I sort of wonder how they'll all pack in to her room.

They'll all go to the huge lab, where every single one of them will be sitting cross-legged on the floor, with a purring mutant kitten in every lap.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Miracon posted:

They'll all go to the huge lab, where every single one of them will be sitting cross-legged on the floor, with a purring mutant kitten in every lap.

This is an adorable thought :3: Maybe they'll all (or some of them) somehow make it into the medium and they'll be like a traveling party.

Then they'll join up with WV and lead another rebellion and somebody already had this idea didn't they?

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Will WV even exist in this session? In B1 he was a farmer on the battlefield, and given bizarre game mechanics, he probably always had been. A2 WV might have existed but wasn't important enough for us to see him.

I hope we see him anyway because I love WV, but I just realised this.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Idunn posted:

Will WV even exist in this session? In B1 he was a farmer on the battlefield, and given bizarre game mechanics, he probably always had been. A2 WV might have existed but wasn't important enough for us to see him.

I hope we see him anyway because I love WV, but I just realised this.

There's a guy who looks sort of like him (bags under the eyes) in Prince of Heart: Rise Up. I'd call it a coincidence, but he shows up on two separate shots: once watching Dirk's revolution and once watching DD walk past.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Very observant. I doubt it's a coincidence if he was witnessing a rebellion, it fits too well. Man that flash was a long time ago, I forgot completely.

I hope WV? escapes the Miles then at least, no more dead WVs please.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Almost all of the carapaces in that flash have bags under their eyes. :goleft:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Just watched it again and it turns out his first appearance is just standing on a balcony looking the other way as Dirk flies past in the background before the crowd forms. Whoops.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I still believe.

big rig nig
Jun 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Renaissance Robot posted:

Most non-human characters do. Hussie is being a little fascist by implying a sapient non-human existence is so taxing that everyone looks like they haven't slept in days.

Anyway, was anyone else a little disappointed that uu and UU share the same body? His "mateing" her won't be anything that I don't do every night. It's just a letdown.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Idunn posted:

Will WV even exist in this session?

Even if not, he will as soon as he arrives along with Dave, Rose and the trolls.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

With the advent of this new Volume 9 music, I was wonder what all of your favorite songs and albums are. There seems to be a few standouts on every album, and I can always find a few to put onto my playlists after buying them.

Personally, my favorite song is The Beginning of Something Really Excellent. Sunslammer is a close second, but I must have had the prior stuck in my head for 2 weeks straight after hearing it for the first time. People at work ask me what song I was whistling and I just had to kinda avoid the subject and whistle a little quieter.

For that reason, Volume 5 is far and above my favorite album. It came about at a perfect time of possibility and intrigue for the comic, like being given a great, epic soundtrack filled with music that certainly seemed to be an encompassing soundtrack. The entire series could have been just songs from Volume 5 from then on and it would be great :swoon:

Sburb was the only album that really felt flat for me, none of the songs really caught my attention.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I love a lot of Homestuck music, but my absolute favorite will always be Pumpkin Cravings.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Call me old fashioned, but my favorite is still Volume 4. Might be because it came out around when I was at peak Homestuck enthusiasm. But Sburban Jungle is still my favorite track, and I dig all the removed Bolin stuff.

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 15, 2012

KoB
May 1, 2009
Sburban Jungle is the best and will always be the theme of Homestuck.

Ya I said it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

KoB posted:

Sburban Jungle is the best and will always be the theme of Homestuck.

Ya I said it :colbert:

I agree. It's a wonderful and iconic tune.