Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A bunch of Japanese folks have rounded up a ton of PS2 Before and Vita After comparisons from the beginning of the game

These are only three that I thought had a big leap, but there's a bunch more in the link. It seems they introduce Marie fairly early on too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But the thing is Naoto cut her hair because she wanted to look like a man, not because she particularly enjoyed it. A woman with long hair isn't necessarily 'conforming to what society thinks a woman should look like'. Maybe she just, y'know, likes having long hair.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Endorph posted:

But the thing is Naoto cut her hair because she wanted to look like a man, not because she particularly enjoyed it. A woman with long hair isn't necessarily 'conforming to what society thinks a woman should look like'. Maybe she just, y'know, likes having long hair.

I suppose it's possible that someone could enjoy having long hair, yeah. :)

That's something I had never really considered.

Just personal bias, I guess. My bad.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Nessa posted:

Oh I understand that she can do whatever the hell she wants. I'm just disappointed that she would be the kind of person to conform to what society thinks a woman should look like. I'm also a big fan of some of her concept art that shows her looking little older.

I suppose I'm also a bit biased because I have a Naoto style haircut myself and can't help but be a little bothered when people tell me I should grow out my hair, or when I get lectured to wear more pretty skirts and dresses.

Accepting yourself for who you are and conforming to society's standards of beauty and gender are two different things. :)

I do still thinks Naoto looks good, 'cause Naoto always looks good. :colbert:

I used to have Chie's hair cut (I even used to cosplay her because my hair colour was just a bit darker so it worked out perfectly) and I had that hair cut for YEARS and loved the poo poo out of it because it was easy to maintain and I never gave a single poo poo to what people thought of it (I also don't wear make up for that reason). I even went shorter than it once just because I could.

But now I'm growing it back out. Not because I'm conforming to society's standards of beauty but because I just wanted a change. :v:

Point is, it's like Endorph said. Growing your hair out don't mean poo poo other than "maybe she just likes long hair".

also she just looked like the P3 protagonist before now (I mean she still does but not as badly)

edit: gently caress this is the last time I am editing this, christ.

quote:

Maybe Pierrot belongs to that deck as well. Funny thing, you know what that word can mean in French? A fool or jester. That would be very fitting of Adachi to have a Not-Fool arcana, wouldn't it?

Someone on another site mentioned it's also a term used in some decks to refer to the reversed fool which is pretty much perfect because that's exactly what he is and what a lot of his character corresponds to.

Katsudon fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 15, 2012

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Katsudon posted:

Someone on another site mentioned it's also a term used in some decks to refer to the reversed fool which is pretty much perfect because that's exactly what he is and what a lot of his character corresponds to.

Also, the Persona that Adachi uses when you fight him is Magatsu Izanagi, which is basically a bizarro version of the Izanagi Persona the protagonist starts with, which also happens to be of the Fool arcana.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pierrot was also a character used in a theater style as Commedia del arte where the Pierrot was a character who would long to be with his desired woman but could not as she was already loved the Harlequin. So yeah, more reason to see why Pierrot is perfect for Adachi in every way. I believe that this S. Link is just going to be filling in Adachi's history, relationship, and job related stories. I doubt it'll do anything more than that, even extra dialogue during the main story is shaky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Catalina posted:

Also, the Persona that Adachi uses when you fight him is Magatsu Izanagi, which is basically a bizarro version of the Izanagi Persona the protagonist starts with, which also happens to be of the Fool arcana.

I somehow suspect that Magatsu Izanagi is the ultimate Persona of that arcana.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSVyV3xJASw
Proper confirmation for the bumbling rookie cop s-link.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
And the date on there disproves the bad end thing I guess, because that definitely says May 18th.

So the s.link is available super early.

Oh god I'm so happy, Adachi and Ryoji are my favorite characters from both games and considering what they did is P3P for Ryoji this is the one thing I wanted out of Golden more than anything. Hopefully Adachi's is as enjoyable for me as I found Ryoji's to be. :swoon:

edit:
vv giving me a ring at the end is still on the table though right (I kid of course) vv

Katsudon fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 15, 2012

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I don't think they're going to give you the option to date Adachi, Katsudon.

But I, too, hope his social link is everything I want it to be. :swoon:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Meowjesty posted:

I don't think they're going to give you the option to date Adachi, Katsudon.

But I, too, hope his social link is everything I want it to be. :swoon:

MC and Adachi bonding over their mutual love of cabbage?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I don't know about you guys but when I do the S Link with Adachi it's going to feel really weird.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Nessa posted:

Oh I understand that she can do whatever the hell she wants. I'm just disappointed that she would be the kind of person to conform to what society thinks a woman should look like. I'm also a big fan of some of her concept art that shows her looking little older.

I suppose I'm also a bit biased because I have a Naoto style haircut myself and can't help but be a little bothered when people tell me I should grow out my hair, or when I get lectured to wear more pretty skirts and dresses.

Accepting yourself for who you are and conforming to society's standards of beauty and gender are two different things. :)

Well, for one thing, Japan isn't the most progressive place. For another, in being disappointed that she's showing she made peace with herself as a woman by growing out her hair, you're kinda forcing your own standards of beauty onto her, too. And projecting onto a video game character, which never ends well for anybody. It's cool to just personally think she's cooler with short hair, though.

Anyway can't wait to tell Adachi to shut up with his bootleg High Arcana in that new S.Link.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
If I'm not mistaken, the s-link seems to be open before 5/18, s that might mean it's not bad ending-related. And I hope so, because having to play buddy buddy with him while in private, he's smirking inside about how he won his little game, Nanako is dead/stuck in the hospital, and you know your quest is going to end up on a disappointing end would make for a truly creepy experience.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Nessa posted:

I also prefer the short haired Naoto. Then again I'm a sucker for the nearly shaved head punk girls too. At first glance I couldn't tell it was Naoto (haven't played P4 but watched the anime).

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I have to admit, the Adachi S-link is almost making me interested in The Golden, even though i really don't like P4. He was one of the few characters who felt remotely interesting to me.

And apropos of nothing, here's a Mothman. :3:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

MadRhetoric posted:

Well, for one thing, Japan isn't the most progressive place. For another, in being disappointed that she's showing she made peace with herself as a woman by growing out her hair, you're kinda forcing your own standards of beauty onto her, too. And projecting onto a video game character, which never ends well for anybody. It's cool to just personally think she's cooler with short hair, though.

Thank you for formulating it so well. I never felt Naoto was doing it as some sort of gesture against gender roles in society. It was much simpler than that. She stated she didn't hate being a woman, but felt it didn't fit her idea of an ideal badass tv detective.
I'd rather focus my disapproval on Embarassed Naoto in a bikini together with Rise and Naoto embarassed and naked in the bath pictures. Sure it's the same kind of fan-service as in P3 and P4 but it still feels cheap when out of all pictures they could have chosen, they decided on picking those for the novel previews.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think Adachi is the most interesting character in P4 that doesn't get nearly enough attention. For 90% of the game he's the bumbling sidekick to your uncle in order to create a false impression as to his character and then he flips 180 once he's unmasked in an incredibly flimsy "gotcha" moment by Naoto and crew.

You learn a tiny amount of back story but that honestly is being told through an unreliable narrator and he's easily missed when you have the chance to bump into him in town. His s-link is what's exciting me the most about The Golden of any of the new additions so I hope it's worthwhile.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Really? I thought it all made pretty good sense and didn't find the moment you mention flimsy or clumsy at all. You get a list of every character and some criteria for the killer and the only ones who fit all of the criteria are Adachi and the protagonist (I went through all of the names looking for mine and then went for Adachi when I didn't find it). All through the game he seemed like a clumsy way for the writers to give the characters information that that they couldn't get otherwise and then it's revealed he was playing you the whole time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That entire scene was flimsy and clumsy. Their entire basis of suspicion is that Adachi lives in Inaba, I'm not even kidding. The entire suspicion after you pick him is literally "Adachi knows where you live and can keep tabs on you," as if that somehow rules him out specifically. It also doesn't help they had no definitive evidence it was him beyond assumptions. Then they corner him in the hospital an proceed to try and shake him down for answers that he never really answers. There was no mention of Adachi's involvement to any of the victims prior to that scene either, so it comes off as an incredibly forced "We didn't think through the actual culprit too well, so it's the bumbling detective" cliche.

I'm of kind happy I got a Vita as a grad gift because now I can replace my P4 copy with P4: Adachi edition.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently one of the pages of the Naoto manga has been leaked, and its Naoto naked in the shower(covering up but still).

Glad to see the pandering is in full force. :thumbsup:

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Funny thing when I was playing P4 when they Adachi was first introduced I remember thinking "yeah he's probably the killer". Although to the game's credit after a few hours I changed my mind because they made him pretty likeable. Imagine my surprise when I realized he was the killer, I also self bragged about it a little.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Apparently one of the pages of the Naoto manga has been leaked, and its Naoto naked in the shower(covering up but still).

loving hell.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Alteisen posted:

I'm not surprised, but i am pretty disappointed. Not like anyone expected anything else, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
FEdit: ^^^ I can't even say I'm disappointed. I mean, I should be, but it's just that predictable. loving Japan.

Nessa posted:

loving hell.

Are you really surprised? Because honestly, this is so drat predictable it rolls back into funny for me.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I'm sure someone will find a way to see it as progressive or something, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Technique posted:

I'm sure someone will find a way to see it as progressive or something, though.

That will require some serious spin.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Well you see she's celebrating her womanhood and no longer ashamed of her hot anime babe body and
Haha just kidding it's just for nerds to spank it to.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Well you see she's celebrating her womanhood and no longer ashamed of her hot anime babe body and
Haha just kidding it's just for nerds to spank it to.

Are you saying that women shouldn't be allowed to be naked? Sounds like YOU'RE the misogynist here... :smug:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Technique posted:

Are you saying that women shouldn't be allowed to be naked? Sounds like YOU'RE the misogynist here... :smug:

It's true, the misogyny is coming from inside my posts. :negative:
I shall wear this Misogyny Bart avatar all weekend as my penance.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

God loving drat it that looks even worse than I was expecting.

On the less rage inducing side of things, it seems Yosuke can now dual-wield fish.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 16, 2012

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

vilkacis posted:

God loving drat it that looks even worse than I was expecting.

The manga page or whatever? On one hand, i want to see how bad it really is, but on the other hand i know that it'll just make me depressed and/or mad. :sigh:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here is the pandering panel in question.

Obviously :nws: :siren:

http://i.imgur.com/jnyCZ.jpg

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Ugh. That's worse than i expected, too.

e: VVVV The Devil Survivors and Catherine were restoring my faith in Atlus. Why do they have to keep doing creepy poo poo all the time and ruin it again?

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 16, 2012

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yes. That.

There's also this if you prefer a more worksafe reason to go "goddammit Atlus".

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Well obviously level 10 S. Link Naoto is canon. It's all your fault, goons.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If I had no prior knowledge that the novel was about Naoto, I wouldn't even know that was her. That's not really the central problem with those panels, but since people have already summarized my feelings of them, I might as well add something else on top of it.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Well obviously level 10 S. Link Naoto is canon. It's all your fault, goons.

yeah if you didn't see this coming after that christmas scene with Naoto, it's your own fault.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It was doomed the moment she became associated with one of the Persona robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vilkacis posted:

Yes. That.

There's also this if you prefer a more worksafe reason to go "goddammit Atlus".

Yea but then you have poo poo like this.

http://i.imgur.com/i7MG6.jpg :nws:

A little better sure but it still screams pandering. Naoto in a bikini seems very unlike the character from what was established in the game.