Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Going back to the whole carry-on thing. I am going to Europe and want to avoid checking anything, all my flights are on BA (long and shorthaul have the same regulations):

quote:

1 piece of hand baggage (56cm x 45cm x 25cm/22in x 18in x 10in) plus a briefcase, laptop or handbag (45cm x 36cm x 20cm/18in x 14in x 8in)

I have a small duffel (22 x 15 x 9) and a backpack that has always fit under my seat on other flights (18x13x6)ish. What are the chances that I won't encounter any fits from flight crews, pretty good or pretty lovely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent
just want to say that i picked up the luganos after all, and the soles are awful - they will wear forever, but the high percentage of PVC in them mean that they are super slick on water. even smooth concrete and water are a dangerous proposition with a pack on.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm moving to Nigeria, for at least a year. My current laptop is a giant refurb I picked up a couple years ago for $100, and I ain't bringin' it. I need a computer that can fit in a carry-on bag (which is all I'm taking). It has to act as my main computer for at least a year, but I don't do anything intensive. If it can run something like a DOTA game, that's a plus but no worries, I can live without games for awhile. $400 max is my budget, preferably half that. I've looked at buying a tablet pc, but I'm very concerned about ease-of-use for an everyday computer. Windows I know, the other OS's I'd have to be convinced into purchasing.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Aliquid posted:

I'm moving to Nigeria, for at least a year. My current laptop is a giant refurb I picked up a couple years ago for $100, and I ain't bringin' it. I need a computer that can fit in a carry-on bag (which is all I'm taking). It has to act as my main computer for at least a year, but I don't do anything intensive. If it can run something like a DOTA game, that's a plus but no worries, I can live without games for awhile. $400 max is my budget, preferably half that. I've looked at buying a tablet pc, but I'm very concerned about ease-of-use for an everyday computer. Windows I know, the other OS's I'd have to be convinced into purchasing.

Laptop recommendation thread would be your best bet for that question, but in that budget I would suggest just picking up whatever you find on sale with the best specs instead of anything specific.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Alright I've made it through this thread, still had some questions about shoes. I'm going to Costa Rica to take a few Spanish classes next month, will be doing some excursions, it's rainy season, I'm looking for some shoes that can handle water decently and still be my only pair. For the Shoes for Crews that Sheep-Goats recommends, I'm still a bit skeptical that they manage to be comfortable, don't squeak constantly, can handle moderate off-road walking, and don't look like complete goobershoes. I noticed that Backwoods is selling the Merrell World Legend Shoe for only $55 right now, and I'm thinking that might be more comfortable while also being less gooberish, yet may not be as slip resistant. Also I could have a chance to at least try it on before buying it. Still, Shoes for Crews seems to have some decent designs and are cheap. I may try one of the lower-cut boots, the Lotus or the Vibe. Just how plasticy do they look in person though? The Wally in particular seems a good, decently priced variation from the others.

(Shoes for Crews list)

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Can anyone give me a crash course on water filtration? I'm going to be spending a copule weeks in rural Borneo, and I've been told that I'm going to need to filter my water somehow. I've heard that you can get iodine tablets to treat your water, but I don't know much else.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

I'd avoid iodine if possible, maybe get some for back-up emergencies but you don't want to rely on it. You should probably invest in a filter, of which there are many different kinds and I'm not familiar with many of them. Of the two I've tried personally, I really like my Platypus gravityworks filter. A lot of filters require a pump, but this one is able to filter a decent amount of water relatively quickly without one. Every time I've used it for anything besides a fresh spring I've also boiled the water after, it's a good filter but I've still wanted to double-check as I've had that luxury. There are cheaper filters than this one, and I mostly got it because a friend who worked at a camping store strongly recommended it and sold it to me half-off. Still, most filters that are worth anything run from at least $80, and obviously you can't skimp on drinking water. You mentioned rural, if you're going to be near farms I'd take agricultural run-off into consideration when choosing your water source. Filters may not be able to remove the chemicals. Go for flowing water instead of stagnant if possible, and you can improve the life of the filter by running the water through a cloth to get some of the thicker mud out of it first.

Don't know what else you're bringing but I strongly suggest bringing some emergency Cipro, triple antibiotic ointment, bandages and Loperamide.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Yeah, I don't have the full details yet, but it looks like I'll mostly be trekking through virgin rainforest, so agricultural runoff shouldn't be too big of a problem. I know safe drinking water is a big deal, but space is going to be a premium on this trip. Is that filtration system you suggested going to hold up in a backpack OK?

I've got a prescription for cipro, and I'll make sure to pick up some immodium/neosporin.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Sounds like a cool trip. The filter I recommended rolls up into a bag that's about 10" x 3" x 2". The weight is about half a pound, pretty negligible. The other filter I've used was this Sawyer bag, it's cheaper, smaller, weighs 3oz and also apparently works on viruses better. It's a little harder to do large quantities of water at once, but it would work for what you need. Maybe someone who has a pump Katadyn or whatever will chime in and make a recommendation on those, they're popular, but if this Sawyer one may be more practical for space/weight reasons.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Just a quick look I think the discovery looks good. Yes it's more of a sneaker but I think it's sturdier and more rugged for moderate off roading.

I was wearing these http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Northbend%E2%84%A2-Omni-Tech%C2%AE/BM3745,default,pd.html and while slightly pricier it works wonders and I can go hiking with em. Wearing a pair of khakis and having 1 carry on does make me look like a travel dad but oh well.

I myself don't mind having an extra pair of boat shoes in my belongings, I'm not the ultra minamalistic type.

xcdude24 posted:

Can anyone give me a crash course on water filtration? I'm going to be spending a copule weeks in rural Borneo, and I've been told that I'm going to need to filter my water somehow. I've heard that you can get iodine tablets to treat your water, but I don't know much else.

I know this might look silly and have never used myself but the life straw looks good. It's compact, and filters most microbes but no heavy metals (so can't use in china :laffo:) twenty something dollars online. You really look kind of goofy using it but I think it's great for a trek in Borneo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJtJ4WRumOY

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

caberham posted:

Just a quick look I think the discovery looks good. Yes it's more of a sneaker but I think it's sturdier and more rugged for moderate off roading.

I was wearing these http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Northbend%E2%84%A2-Omni-Tech%C2%AE/BM3745,default,pd.html and while slightly pricier it works wonders and I can go hiking with em. Wearing a pair of khakis and having 1 carry on does make me look like a travel dad but oh well.

I myself don't mind having an extra pair of boat shoes in my belongings, I'm not the ultra minamalistic type.
Since I'm going to be taking classes at a university, I really can't be wearing sneakers or any type of athletic looking shoes. I ended up going by a Timberland store and found some comfortable shoes for 70% off that look somewhere between hiking boots and dress shoes. I can't find them on the website to find anything else about them, but it looks like most of the Timberland reviews are faked anyway. People seem to list the only cons as things like "can't get women to take their eyes off of my shoes long enough to get their numbers" or "overabundance of dates."

I found one of those Rick Steves convertible carry-on bags tucked away and discounted in one of those barely-surviving luggage stores, I'm pretty happy with it. It's big, expandable if I end up buying too much crap wherever I go, and it looks cheap and boring enough that it might be less of a target. My only complaints are that it doesn't have any solid panel for the backing and there's no shoulder strap for it as a duffel bag, but I can improvise ways for both of those. Just have to tone it down a bit with some travel dad vent-flap apparel so I don't get too many dates by wearing my $30 Timberlands and Rick Steves-endorsed oversized backpack.

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008

cyberbully posted:

Since I'm going to be taking classes at a university, I really can't be wearing sneakers or any type of athletic looking shoes. I ended up going by a Timberland store and found some comfortable shoes for 70% off that look somewhere between hiking boots and dress shoes. I can't find them on the website to find anything else about them, but it looks like most of the Timberland reviews are faked anyway. People seem to list the only cons as things like "can't get women to take their eyes off of my shoes long enough to get their numbers" or "overabundance of dates."

I know shoes are a personal thing when it comes to comfort and fit but what did you think about it? Timberland don't distribute in my country but i do like the appeal of stylish ruggedness. I haven't found anything that is rugged and stylish locally so im on the verge of taking a blind leap of faith and buy online. I'm just wondering how well can it keep up with all day walking on concrete and trails?

The models i'm considering are:

Earthkeepers city endurance http://www.zappos.com/timberland-earthkeepers-city-endurance-comfort-oxford-black-smooth-leather?zfcTest=fw:1

City adventure stormbuck http://www.zappos.com/timberland-city-adventure-stormbuck-black-smooth-leather?zfcTest=fw:1

Some reviews say they run large and other say they are small which really doesn't help at all.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

The ones I bought are almost identical to the first one you posted(I bought these), and they're very comfortable. I just bought them so I don't know how well they're going to hold up, but seem fairly durable, nothing too great but I'm guessing 3-6 months of heavy use or a year of moderate use. That's all relative to what you think is a lot though, and I'm just guessing. I usually buy shoes in 10.5 to 11, and only 11's would fit on these if that's any help. I can also tell you that this kind of shoe for me was completely uncomfortable and rigid, the lip started digging into my foot as I was walking. Also would seem like a bad deal if you paid more than $100 for any of these shoes after that store I was in the other day had everything for at least 40% off. I probably should have bought more shoes.

This might be a long-shot, but anyone know if hammock camping is doable in Costa Rica? I have one with a mosquito net that's pretty compact, much moreso than a tent and mat anyway. I know it'd probably never get used but I'm still debating it since I have plenty of extra room in my bag. I will have some time after the class is done to travel around on my own for about a week.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Anecdotal but my friend just spent two months sleeping in hammocks strung in trees in Costa Rica and Nicaragua without any issue. He staid near the ocean and was more than 25+ feet off the ground though, both factors that would eliminate a large portion of the problem, so I don't know if you're willing to do that.

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008
I don't get how people can sleep in hammocks? It doesn't seem at all comfortable (for stomach sleepers and probably side sleepers), you're way more exposed to the elements like wind, rain and exotic animals that would drop on you in those costa rican trees. I haven't used one so that's my guess but i would like to know if there's anything more to it than just tying the ends between trees.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Yoda, how/why was he doing this so high off the ground? That sounds awesome.

I've slept in the hammock a couple times, it's a little difficult for me as I'm a side sleeper but I think I just need some more time to get used to it. It is difficult to move around though, and too cramped to be sharing it with anyone else IMO. Most people I see with hammocks make them bow-shaped and loose, but you can actually make it fairly level if you tie the ropes tight. It's also a little easier to sleep having a hammock with those two bars to keep the hammock spread out, or you can put a pad on the bottom. Hammocks pack very light and can keep you clear from mosquitos and rain, they're pretty easily hidden if you want to camp off-trail, and the wind and sun are usually not bad enough in the forest to be problems. Hammocks are preferable in humid, tropical places where the nights never cool off, but they even make some for winter camping. This is my cheap hammock: http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/ultralight-skeeter-beeter-hammock

cyberbully fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 19, 2012

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

How - by being crazy good at climbing trees. Why - as far as I can tell the answer is "why not". He is a super athletic 24 year old that hitchhikes through the country and sometimes other countries, and prefers sleeping in trees. At home he sometimes strings his hammock up between a double billboard or other poo poo like that.

E: found a picture

Yoda fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 19, 2012

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Wow, had no idea people did that. I am not that good of a climber. Best way to not get robbed in Latin America.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Movendi posted:

I don't get how people can sleep in hammocks? It doesn't seem at all comfortable (for stomach sleepers and probably side sleepers), you're way more exposed to the elements like wind, rain and exotic animals that would drop on you in those costa rican trees. I haven't used one so that's my guess but i would like to know if there's anything more to it than just tying the ends between trees.

I love hammocks to lay in for a couple hours, but they wrecked my back as a sleeping choice on a 4 day, 3 night hiking trip in Cambodia when I was 19.

stik
Apr 19, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I love hammocks to lay in for a couple hours, but they wrecked my back as a sleeping choice on a 4 day, 3 night hiking trip in Cambodia when I was 19.

The trick to sleeping in a hammock is sleeping at a diagonal in it. I lived in Mexico for a while and due to circumstances beyond my control I ended up sleeping in one for a few months. It takes about 2-3 weeks to get used to sleeping in one and about a month to get used to not sleeping in one.

This dude has a site with pictures showing the proper way to do it.
http://theultimatehang.com/2012/06/how-to-sleep-in-a-brazilian-hammock/

her0n
Sep 13, 2006

hey look the world is covered in snail slime

Big Grunty Secret posted:

How squishable is the eBags weekender? I have a roundtrip RyanAir flight and I don't want to be hit with the 35 euro fee for my carryon. According to the product dimensions it's a bit deep for their restrictions, but if i can press it flat, I'll be golden.

Bit late to the party here, but make sure you weigh your bag too. RyanAir are massive bastards who will try to charge you at every possible opportunity they can. Stay under limit, squish your bag, and you'll be fine.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I haven't been in this thread for a while but if you really need water treatment you want a pump filter, not a straw. If you also want an option for chemical treatment Polar Pure tablets are the best I've used. Iodine sucks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

her0n posted:

Bit late to the party here, but make sure you weigh your bag too. RyanAir are massive bastards who will try to charge you at every possible opportunity they can. Stay under limit, squish your bag, and you'll be fine.
Heck, even Emirates dinged me on that. They made me weigh my carry-on (Patagonia MLC), it was over 25 lbs (12 kg) and I was forced to check it. 25 lbs is really not that much, it doesn't feel like a heavy bag.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

smackfu posted:

Heck, even Emirates dinged me on that. They made me weigh my carry-on (Patagonia MLC), it was over 25 lbs (12 kg) and I was forced to check it. 25 lbs is really not that much, it doesn't feel like a heavy bag.

Always have a second grocery bag thing in there, take out your heavier stuff, that's your personal item. You get 10lbs on that usually.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This is my luggage scale, I like it. I don't take it with me on trips but it's pretty useful. I got down to 16 pounds for my trip to London last year because Virgin Atlantic had some ridiculous rules posted then watched people with 2 rolling cases board without issue.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

qirex posted:

This is my luggage scale, I like it. I don't take it with me on trips but it's pretty useful. I got down to 16 pounds for my trip to London last year because Virgin Atlantic had some ridiculous rules posted then watched people with 2 rolling cases board without issue.

They were either business class, were high enough in the frequent flyer program that they are allowed to do that or they paid for it.

You get a few perks when you hit silver/gold in frequent flyer programs.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Always have a second grocery bag thing in there, take out your heavier stuff, that's your personal item. You get 10lbs on that usually.

Yeah, the funny thing on that trip was they didn't take a second look at my daypack, which probably had 30 pounds of electronics in it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Anyone have some general useful gear to recommend for motorcycle touring (I'll probably x-post this to Cycle Asylum)? Maybe some easily washable socks/underwater? I did 8 weeks in the rainy season in Southeast Asia and wound up doing a fair bit of laundry in the sink... I had a pair of really thin socks for athletes I won at a hipster bicycle race back in the US that dried amazingly well, no idea what ever happened to them.

Or just general stuff... I'm about to put together an order from Amazon so figured I'd check in here. According to reviews the new SmartWool socks suck now, which is a bummer.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 27, 2012

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I dunno about that, I've been wearing my SmartWool socks and they're pretty badass. FITS is another option for wool socks, they're significantly thicker than SmartWool though.

As far as undies go, I really like my UnderArmour boxer briefs, and ExOfficio Give and Go or whatever the hell they're called are pretty great too. You can get away with 2 pairs if you want to rinse one out every night.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you're not going with smartwool those coolmax socks are okay. It's a synthetic wicking fabric. I don't know if they glom on to stink like other synthetic wicking materials do, though.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Like two weeks ago I picked up a pair of SmartWool socks and some cheaper CoolMax ones to compare, I can't really tell a difference other than the SmartWool ones look a little nicer and more money went into the design. I'm not that tuned into socks though and don't usually get stinky feet even with wearing cotton ones for a few days.

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
Is anyone able to recommend me against the Osprey Meridian? http://www.rei.com/product/788560/osprey-meridian-wheeled-convertible-luggage-22#video-inner

I know it has wheels, which is kind of a drawback, but it is also able to be carried as a backpack. The detachable day is what appeals to me as I don't have to drag the whole lot around with me all day.

Is there anything else out there that does the job better? Preferably, something that I can get shipped to me in Australia. Thanks

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

FYAD KNIGHT posted:

Is anyone able to recommend me against the Osprey Meridian? http://www.rei.com/product/788560/osprey-meridian-wheeled-convertible-luggage-22#video-inner

I know it has wheels, which is kind of a drawback, but it is also able to be carried as a backpack. The detachable day is what appeals to me as I don't have to drag the whole lot around with me all day.

Is there anything else out there that does the job better? Preferably, something that I can get shipped to me in Australia. Thanks

Wheels and telescoping handles take up a lot of space in a carry-on size bag. If you are going to get wheeled luggage you might as well get something bigger and check it. Plus for that price you could get a really nice convertible carry on like a Red Oxx Sky Train or similar.

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
I feel like a goose, about an hour after I posted (after doing at least 5 hours of research) I found these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018PB11S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GC12QU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for and from the same company too. :blush:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'musing the osprey porter. It's not that great for its price. No fancier compression straps and the center space is just one empty blob. Get a tom binh or red oxx.

osprey makes good camping sacks though

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

I'musing the osprey porter. It's not that great for its price. No fancier compression straps and the center space is just one empty blob. Get a tom binh or red oxx.

Those are good bags (I love my Red Oxx bag), but an eBags Weekender is 1/4 of the price and the only drawback is that it isn't as durable due to cheaper materials. But mine has survived a number of trips without looking too worse for the wear.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 30, 2012

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Someone in Australia posted a MLC-style bag from one of their domestic brands a while back but I can't remember who or what brand. Osprey makes stuff that's incredibly durable but they're basically just duffel bags on the inside which means that you'll probably end up spending even more money on organizers and stuff.

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
Just curious, and this is probably a stupid question, but how do people get around the travel bag + day bag shuffle?

This is the main reason I'm keen on the Osprey combo: I can keep everything together easily when going from place to place (on the plane, on the train), without having one on my back and one on my shoulder(and constantly slipping off).

Is there a travelbag/daybag combination out there that is better?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

FYAD KNIGHT posted:

Just curious, and this is probably a stupid question, but how do people get around the travel bag + day bag shuffle?

This is the main reason I'm keen on the Osprey combo: I can keep everything together easily when going from place to place (on the plane, on the train), without having one on my back and one on my shoulder(and constantly slipping off).

Is there a travelbag/daybag combination out there that is better?

I put my messenger bag in my travel bag whenever I have to carry my travel bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

qirex posted:

Someone in Australia posted a MLC-style bag from one of their domestic brands a while back but I can't remember who or what brand. Osprey makes stuff that's incredibly durable but they're basically just duffel bags on the inside which means that you'll probably end up spending even more money on organizers and stuff.

Was it the Blackwolf Skedaddle? I used one for my last trip to Vietnam, it was great. I'm looking forward to see how it goes on my upcoming Euro trip.

http://www.blackwolf.com.au/product-details.php?product_id=149&page=3&noItems=12&category_id=10

• Locked thread