Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I hope there's some "defaults write" thing that lets us set that as the default behaviour.

I've been with OS X since Cheetah, and it's only been with Lion that I've started a text file filled with 'defaults write' commands that I can't live without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

I've been with OS X since Cheetah, and it's only been with Lion that I've started a text file filled with 'defaults write' commands that I can't live without.

I've had an Evernote entry with terminal tips I have to use every time I do a fresh install for a few years.

Transparent icons in the dock for hidden apps? You betcha. Bring back the iTunes Store links, then swap 'em to go to where the entry is in the Library? Could not live without it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TealShark posted:

In Mountain Lion, if you open the File menu and hold the option key, Save As becomes an available option.

Wonderful... just what I wanted to hear.

It's very sad when I have to walk people at work through how to use the duplicate feature because Save As is gone.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Manky posted:

I've had an Evernote entry with terminal tips I have to use every time I do a fresh install for a few years.

Transparent icons in the dock for hidden apps? You betcha. Bring back the iTunes Store links, then swap 'em to go to where the entry is in the Library? Could not live without it.

You don't need a terminal for all that: http://secrets.blacktree.com/

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

cbirdsong posted:

You don't need a terminal for all that: http://secrets.blacktree.com/

I always forget about that. It should go in the OP!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Is anyone concerned about the privacy implications of everyone dictating stuff to their computers and it sending that audio to a bunch of servers somewhere so it can "listen" to it and transcribe it? I guess dictation on iOS does the same thing, and you would think with all the paranoia about "being tracked" that happens today, I'm surprised there hasn't been a big stink about "Your iDevices are listening to you!"

I guess I just trust that Apple isn't going to be evil and isn't going to

a) Keep the recordings or the resultant text
b) Mine the recordings and text for stuff to sell to advertisers.

I guess I should go out and read the privacy policy but... :words:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a 2010 iMac with an Core i3, SSD, 8GB, and an additional 1080p connected. It's running Lion, I don't think I ever noticed this using Snow Leopard.

Whenever I first switch spaces or do the mission control thing, it CRAWLS. Sometimes it will stick for a few seconds, otherwise it just runs at like 5 fps. But if I do it a few times, it does it silky-smooth like it should.

Is it just because I have the poo poo-rear end ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

echobucket posted:

Is anyone concerned about the privacy implications of everyone dictating stuff to their computers and it sending that audio to a bunch of servers somewhere so it can "listen" to it and transcribe it? I guess dictation on iOS does the same thing, and you would think with all the paranoia about "being tracked" that happens today, I'm surprised there hasn't been a big stink about "Your iDevices are listening to you!"

Siri can be disabled by device administrators through configuration profiles, so that solves a lot of the concern for corporations. For personal users, Apple's general idea has always seemed to be "if you don't like it, just don't use it."

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

echobucket posted:

They're already doing A to improve Siri's voice recognition.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

echobucket posted:

You need to decide where you want to be on the privacy/convenience spectrum. You can be like Richard Stallman, and not use a cell phone, a web browser, and certainly not any cloud services... or you can keep the totality of your life on the cloud, and enjoy the benefits (as well as drawbacks) of doing so.

Somewhere in the middle is probably the right approach. I don't give a crap about Siri mining my audio requests, or automated processes scanning my gmail in order to do ad placements. I probably won't keep my financial and medical records on dropbox though (at least, not unencrypted).

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I just purchased a new Air and the first thing I did after booting it up was install Chrome...but it sucks. Is it supposed to be slow and jerky compared to Safari?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the developers at Apple?

I think it's more like somebody actively does not want it to be more like Windows.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

tofes posted:

I just purchased a new Air and the first thing I did after booting it up was install Chrome...but it sucks. Is it supposed to be slow and jerky compared to Safari?

Nope, they are about the same in my experience. Are you running a dev build of Chrome or something?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Nope, they are about the same in my experience. Are you running a dev build of Chrome or something?

Nope, just the default version of Chrome. After a reinstall and a reboot it seems to be working much better though, not sure what was wrong to begin with.

edit: Probably another dumb question, I figured out how to enable tap to drag but there is an annoying delay after I remove my finger from the pad before the window "disengages," is there any way to disable this?

tofes fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 14, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So not only is App Store trying to update apps that I don't have, after updating apps I do have it wants me to download the same update again right away. Also, I accidentally removed GTA:SA from my Purchases page and now that I'm trying to redownload it, it has a price tag instead. Am I going to have to rebuy it or something?

E: Never mind, had to "unhide" GTA:SA from Account Management. Still, the weird update glitch is a bit annoying. I'm pretty sure I never downloaded Nyan Cat: Lost in Space for gently caress's sake, so why does App Store want to update it?

E2: Now the update list cleared (for whatever reason) but the Purchases tab shows that GTA:SA can be updated. Trying to do so makes it download the whole 4,16 GB file again. :downsbravo:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 14, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tofes posted:

It's indexing everything after your first start up, isn't it?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

We just got one of our developers here a mac mini and chrome performance is sub-par on that as well.

Maybe google is mad at the whole Apple Maps thing and we're about to see the Adobe vs Apple issue again only this time with google. :tinfoil:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

We just got one of our developers here a mac mini and chrome performance is sub-par on that as well.

Maybe google is mad at the whole Apple Maps thing and we're about to see the Adobe vs Apple issue again only this time with google. :tinfoil:

I use all three browsers and don't really notice much of a difference. I guess if I really pay attention Safari scrolls a little smoother - but then again it's made by Apple.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Manky posted:

Mind sharing?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Mind sharing?

Sure, here's a shared link, though it's pretty horribly organized and I thought I had more stuff on there...

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
I'm looking for a app that can limit my time on specific websites. For example that i only can waste my time on SA for a hour per day. Would be nice if it could count my time on all other sites too so i can see how much time
i procrastinate!

Any suggestions?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I had Leopard. I wanted to upgrade to Snow, finally, in preparation for Lion.

To get Lion, I need 10.6.8. Apple doesn't sell above 10.6.3, though, so I updated to that. Now I need to update 10.6.4 so I can update to 10.6.5 so I can update to 10.6.6 so I can update to 10.6.7 so I can update to 10.6.8 so I can loving download Lion when it goddamn comes out.

Is there an easier way to do this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think you can just download the 10.6.8 Combo Update.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I think you can just download the 10.6.8 Combo Update.

Yeah, that is all you need to do.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

End Of Worlds posted:

To get Lion, I need 10.6.8. Apple doesn't sell above 10.6.3, though, so I updated to that. Now I need to update 10.6.4 so I can update to 10.6.5 so I can update to 10.6.6 so I can update to 10.6.7 so I can update to 10.6.8 so I can loving download Lion when it goddamn comes out.

Is there some reason you can't run software update?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

johnnyXcrane posted:

I'm looking for a app that can limit my time on specific websites. For example that i only can waste my time on SA for a hour per day. Would be nice if it could count my time on all other sites too so i can see how much time
i procrastinate!

Any suggestions?
Learn some self control.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

johnnyXcrane posted:

i procrastinate!

Any suggestions?

Try this one.

EDIT: Oh wait, for tracking you might want something like Rescue Time.

I don't actually use either of those, to be honest. I just use focus booster when I want to sit down and work for two hours or whatever.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tofes posted:

Nope, just the default version of Chrome. After a reinstall and a reboot it seems to be working much better though, not sure what was wrong to begin with.

edit: Probably another dumb question, I figured out how to enable tap to drag but there is an annoying delay after I remove my finger from the pad before the window "disengages," is there any way to disable this?
You should be able to tap again to 'drop' the window.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

TACD posted:

You should be able to tap again to 'drop' the window.

I know, but if I wanted that functionality I would turn on drag lock (which I dislike).

I guess they really want you to use three finger drag?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

End Of Worlds posted:

You can actually buy Lion on a USB stick, although it's pricer than the download.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

echobucket posted:

Is it confirmed or just assumed that Mountain Lion sends it out? It could be done locally since the CPU power and storage is there for Nuance's stuff (vs both being limited on iDevices), and there's no Siri to consult for anything.

johnnyXcrane posted:

i procrastinate!

Any suggestions?
No clue about this one but it was the first hit I got for "Safari timer extension": http://bumblebeesystems.dyndns.org/wastenotime/

And fancier (and not free), but only app and window level it seems: http://manytricks.com/timesink/

tofes posted:

I know, but if I wanted that functionality I would turn on drag lock (which I dislike).

I guess they really want you to use three finger drag?
Yeah I could never get used to tap drag for the same reason (along with added delay on any single tap), three finger is much better once you get used to it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there any previews/reviews of ML yet?

gregday
May 23, 2003

edit: Derp, wrong thread.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone here use WineBottler to run Windows apps?

I need to edit the registry for a particular "app" I installed but I'll be damned if I can find a way to do that for this specific app. Should I just go in and edit the user.reg in [Myapp].app/Contents/Resources/?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm getting a $100 Apple Giftcard with my laptop purchase. This is my first Apple product ever. Anything "must have" I should spend that money on?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Daric posted:

I'm getting a $100 Apple Giftcard with my laptop purchase. This is my first Apple product ever. Anything "must have" I should spend that money on?

you're getting an iTunes giftcard, not an Apple giftcard. But if you're asking about what from the Mac App store, it honestly depends on what you need/plan to do with your computer. But Omnifocus is half off right now and at $40 it's an awesome deal for organization. Stuff like 1Password, the iWork suite, etc, are all solid choices too. But again, depends on the kind of software you're looking for.

Edit: Just looking over my Mac App Store purchases:
Coda 2 for web development is highly recommended, if you're doing any of that, and it's currently $25 off. $75
I like WriteRoom for any time I need to have a clean, focused writing session. I've used both it and iA Writer and I prefer it. $10
Sparrow's a great Mail replacement if your accounts are primarily in the Gmail ecosystem (though it does now have support for most protocols aside from Exchange). $10
Notifications for Mountain Lion may make it useless, but Growl is a great utility especially in conjunction with Prowl for iOS. $2
Wifi Explorer is another one of those little tool items that can come in handy. $2.
1password is currently $40, so it depends on how much you want it, but it's pretty much the #1 recommended app for a password companion around here, for good reason. It goes on sale every now and then though, generally at 50% off.

There are other things that aren't that useful generally but help with specific tasks, which again goes back to what will you primarily be using your computer for.

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 15, 2012

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Daric posted:

iWork but wait to see if ML spawns an update. If you have an iPhone/iPad you can also use it towards apps for those as well which is mostly what I've done since I got mine last year.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was told too that I was getting one, and I got my computer today. However, I didn't see a card in the box, or in the computer's box. I know I logged into my Apple account to make the purchase, so is it possible they just added the credit to my account? Or will I get the card later.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

IUG posted:

I was told too that I was getting one, and I got my computer today. However, I didn't see a card in the box, or in the computer's box. I know I logged into my Apple account to make the purchase, so is it possible they just added the credit to my account? Or will I get the card later.

They generally take a little bit longer to process IME. You'll get the card, not a credit tied to the account. Go into your account, check the order status. You should have a separate status for the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

El Duke Silver posted:

They generally take a little bit longer to process IME. You'll get the card, not a credit tied to the account. Go into your account, check the order status. You should have a separate status for the card.

Thank you sir.