Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

Bucket Joneses posted:

It's equally unsettling to me when people identify cars and boats as women, yes.

I can understand getting emotionally attached to a car or boat because they develop personalities and you get to know them inside and out and all there little quirks. Can't really say that about Siri.

Always meant to ask, is that you in your avatar? Always makes me smile every time I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

It's equally unsettling to me when people identify cars and boats as women, yes.

What if you're an old timey sailor? She's a fine vessel laddie

Fozaldo posted:

Always meant to ask, is that you in your avatar? Always makes me smile every time I see it.

That's one of the diaz brothers as a kid (nick or nate diaz)

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

mewse posted:

That's one of the diaz brothers as a kid (nick or nate diaz)

Nick.

Siri is a woman unless you activate English(UK) in AnyVoice.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I honestly don't understand people who have trouble with talking to Siri. I have a very heavy Boston accent and while I spent the first two weeks correcting text I basically have flawless dictation now while riding my bike.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey guys, is there a solution to TuneIn radio location blocking me for listening to the euros on talksport from the states? I recall there being a location spoofer, would this work here?

Thanks !

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

TraderStav posted:

Hey guys, is there a solution to TuneIn radio location blocking me for listening to the euros on talksport from the states? I recall there being a location spoofer, would this work here?

Thanks !

Probably, try fake location. It has a free trial so you've got nothing to lose.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

bazaar apparatus posted:

Looks like Music Controls Pro got updated finally. Adds 5.1.1 support and better app compatibility. I know that for me at least, it's now working with the latest Spotify!

Is it just me, or does this slow the ever loving poo poo out of your phone? I just installed it and now it takes a good long while to swap album art on lock screen, and if i swipe a few songs, it doesn't animate/is slow to unlock the slider.

E: if this finally makes the song information show up via BT in my car it's worth the 6 dollars. I'm on the 5 day trial right now.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 14, 2012

abuimak
Sep 7, 2006
My 4s is currently running a Jailbroken 5.0.1. I want to do a restore because the phone has been somewhat sluggish latly. I do not want to upgrade though because I'm hoping a software unlock will appear someday for my baseband.

Can I do a restore by changing my hosts file on my computer? After I restore, can I use icloud to restore my contacts and some app information back to my phone without risking duplicating the same sluggish performance before the restore?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there a replacement or better option than Backgrounder? I went to download it and looks like its no longer officially supported.

Basically I want something that'll keep Splashtop open so I can multi task without having to reconnect every drat time.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there a replacement or better option than Backgrounder? I went to download it and looks like its no longer officially supported.

Basically I want something that'll keep Splashtop open so I can multi task without having to reconnect every drat time.
I got an app to stay open by modifying it's info.plist with ifile's plist editor. There's a switch in there somewhere for multitasking ;)

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
This thread is moving pretty slow, so here are a few utilities I discovered and liked a lot recently:

• ChargingBackground - shows your lockscreen wallpaper behind the green battery while your phone is charging

• Lingual - uses Siri to translate words/phrases into different languages for you

• LowPowerBanner - when battery is low, the notification appears as a top-screen Notification Center banner instead of a popup in the middle

• Callbar - incoming phone calls appear as a notification at the top of the screen instead of taking over whatever you were doing; answer the phone by swiping right on that notification, hang up by swiping left

• AutoProtect - bypasses lockscreen passcode when iOS device is connected to a specific wifi network that the user sets up (good for when you're at home)

• No Bookmarks - prevents mobile Safari from opening directly to bookmarks menu if no webpage is present

• Switcherland - allows you to use the app-switcher tray in landscape in addition to portrait

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
whoa, AutoProtect sounds sweet - have you found it to be stable?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

dutchbstrd posted:

Probably, try fake location. It has a free trial so you've got nothing to lose.

LocationHolic is free :shobon:

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

adm posted:

whoa, AutoProtect sounds sweet - have you found it to be stable?

For the most part, yeah. There are times when I'm at home and I still have to put my passcode in, but I'd put those times in the minority. The only thing about it that I'd call "lame" would be that you have to manually type the name of the wifi network you want it to remember, instead of just picking from a list of nearby signals.

So basically if your wifi name is generic (like ADMIN or something) then you stand the chance of AutoProtect becoming active on networks you don't want it to. And if your wifi name is pretty long, then it just sucks to have to type it in. Despite this, I've been pretty happy with the utility so far.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Feenix posted:

http://www.redmondpie.com/jukebox-for-ios-brings-extensive-control-of-the-music-app-through-notification-center-and-dashboard-x/

Were some of you looking for a Music Controls-like Jailbreak app for the phone now that the dev of Music Controls wasn't supporting? This looks promising.

(Downloading, will advise.)

[edi]t oh poo poo this is pretty slick!
does anyone know what SB settings theme this is visible in this post? Ignoring the music stuff, I'm assuming that is SB settings at the top, but the toggles are clean and more compact than any I've been able to find.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bawfuls posted:

does anyone know what SB settings theme this is visible in this post? Ignoring the music stuff, I'm assuming that is SB settings at the top, but the toggles are clean and more compact than any I've been able to find.

That's NCSettings which is similar, but not quite as full featured as SBSettings.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

EDIT: BALLS ^^^

Not SBSettings at all. NCSettings. You'll have to install Poof separately if you want to hide icons.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

randyest posted:

That's NCSettings which is similar, but not quite as full featured as SBSettings.

I think I just found a replacement for SBSettings! I hardly use SBSettings anymore anyway so this will do nicely in a pinch.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah thanks for the info, that was enough to ditch SBSettings and Activator for me.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Tedronai66 posted:

E: if this finally makes the song information show up via BT in my car it's worth the 6 dollars. I'm on the 5 day trial right now.

Keep me updated on this, please.

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Huh, this is weird. A whole back I posted how I was having issues loading/logging in to SA using Safari. Well I narrowed it down to the goddamn network of all things.

When I'm on AT&T, I can't log in to SA at all. I can't either tether and log in on my iPad either. The second I join any wifi network, the log in goes through without issue. SA is the only site this happens with. Hell, it's not even me getting logged out. I'm on 4G - I get the "you need to log in". I turn on wifi, refresh the page and in already logged in and SA loads so it's like the cookie or whatever is there on my phone but it doesn't see it while I'm in the network.

The gently caress?

I dont know if you ever resolved this issue, but I'm having the exact same problem. Awful app shows me logged in as just a blank space, and using safari it will log in then after the GLUUEE screen I'm logged out.

I'm almost positive this started after I installed Siriport. Dunno if that helps but I hope someone knows what's up.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
SO I'm going to be going to Mexico here in a couple weeks and I want to be able to use my phone. I currently have the 4s with 5.1.1 Jail broken. Do I need to call Sprint and have them unlock it or can I unlock it myself?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bazaar apparatus posted:

I think I just found a replacement for SBSettings! I hardly use SBSettings anymore anyway so this will do nicely in a pinch.
I used NCSettings for a while but missed the options and toggle addons for SBSettings so I went back. Activator doesn't cause me any problems and I really like rotation inhibitor which can lock in landscape (NCS locks in portrait only,) and the toggle plugins like hands free siri, springflash, lights dim, adblocker, vibe-silent, vibe, and most importantly SBProfiles to auto toggle things by time, place (wifi name,) or one click to set home/office/car/etc. mode and set a bunch of toggles at once. NCS is pretty cool for basic stuff though and does look nice.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

OptimusMatrix posted:

SO I'm going to be going to Mexico here in a couple weeks and I want to be able to use my phone. I currently have the 4s with 5.1.1 Jail broken. Do I need to call Sprint and have them unlock it or can I unlock it myself?

if you've had the account more than 90 days just call Sprint.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

bazaar apparatus posted:

This thread is moving pretty slow, so here are a few utilities I discovered and liked a lot recently:
  • No Bookmarks - prevents mobile Safari from opening directly to bookmarks menu if no webpage is present

So you're saying the thread is moving slowly? Do you not realize that is how Safari already works?
It only opened to bookmarks in older versions of iOS.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

So you're saying the thread is moving slowly? Do you not realize that is how Safari already works?
It only opened to bookmarks in older versions of iOS.

Well I'm on 5.0.1 because upgrading every time a new version of iOS comes out is a pain, when I have to re-jailbreak and download all of my Cydia apps each time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bazaar apparatus posted:

Well I'm on 5.0.1 because upgrading every time a new version of iOS comes out is a pain, when I have to re-jailbreak and download all of my Cydia apps each time.

Upgrading and jailbreaking is as easy as it gets now. Absinthe is literally a one button jailbreak. It takes about 10 minutes total to do everything. Factor in another 5 minutes (at most if you have a ton of them) to redownload your Cydia apps. There's no excuse to be that many software revisions behind when it's so easy and quick to do.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Upgrading and jailbreaking is as easy as it gets now. Absinthe is literally a one button jailbreak. It takes about 10 minutes total to do everything. Factor in another 5 minutes (at most if you have a ton of them) to redownload your Cydia apps. There's no excuse to be that many software revisions behind when it's so easy and quick to do.

*sigh* who even cares, there hasn't been a good enough reason for me to mess with it because there's nothing in 5.1 that I care that much about.

I'll just do it when 6 is out. Can we move on now?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
5.1.1 has about 80 security updates, bug fixes, stability fixes, performance improvements, improved app compatibility, and new features compared to 5.0.1.

But only us SUCKERS want stupid "non outdated and less buggy" software updates. Besides, you will NEVER get back that half-hour it will take to upgrade your device.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

5.1.1 has about 80 security updates, bug fixes, stability fixes, performance improvements, improved app compatibility, and new features compared to 5.0.1.

But only us SUCKERS want stupid "non outdated and less buggy" software updates. Besides, you will NEVER get back that half-hour it will take to upgrade your device.

I...don't care? How can I make this any simpler for you

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I was on 4.3.3 for 3-4 months after 5.0 hit. Talk about a delayed reaction to notification center. And then I was on a tethered 5.0.1 jailbreak until just very recently. Who gives a poo poo? :v:

It is goddamn easy to go to 5.1 though. I didn't even lose my cydia app settings or springboard positions or anything - just had to download them.

glompix fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 15, 2012

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

glompix posted:

I was on 4.3.3 for 3-4 months after 5.0 hit. Talk about a delayed reaction to notification center. And then I was on a tethered 5.0.1 jailbreak until just very recently. Who gives a poo poo? :v:

It is goddamn easy to go to 5.1 though. I didn't even lose my cydia app settings or springboard positions or anything - just had to download them.

My friend on his 3GS is still running 4.3. Talk about not caring. He also doesn't save anyone's contact info in Contacts.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
Speaking of "less buggy" I'm now on my third iPhone 4S (two warranty replacements) and guess what, it still echoes so badly when not using a headset that I can't even make a 10 second call because the other party just about goes insane.

Edit: development: I unplugged my battery case 2 mm and echo goes away. I turn on charging from said battery case while using it normally, echo goes away. This is pretty :allears:

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 15, 2012

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
Is there an app to get the lockscreen camera button back from 5.0? This camera slider takes a good three to four seconds each way for me.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

I dont know if you ever resolved this issue, but I'm having the exact same problem. Awful app shows me logged in as just a blank space, and using safari it will log in then after the GLUUEE screen I'm logged out.

I'm almost positive this started after I installed Siriport. Dunno if that helps but I hope someone knows what's up.

This isn't a jailbreak issue. I'm not jailbroken and I had this issue a few days ago. It went away for me after about a day and a half though.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Keep me updated on this, please.

Doesn't for me :-( .. which sucks rear end because my car advertises it handles it (2011 Mazda 3).

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Tedronai66 posted:

Doesn't for me :-( .. which sucks rear end because my car advertises it handles it (2011 Mazda 3).

drat. Same advertised feature for me (2012 Ford Focus) but apparently it's something wacky Apple did with the Bluetooth stack that prevents this from happening. I can still connect up via USB, but that sort of defeats the point of being able to just leave it in my pocket and go.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

bazaar apparatus posted:

I...don't care? How can I make this any simpler for you

Well I'm just gonna throw this out there that 5.1.1 did wonders for my battery life. I was previously JBed on 5.0.1 as well and leaving my phone unplugged overnight pretty much meant I was waking up with what was probably like 30% battery life (I turn off the percentage because gently caress that thing). Now I can leave it unplugged around 80% and wake up with it still around 80% or whatever. Now granted this may be because Sprint has improved services down here but I doubt that.

P.S. I'm not saying you have to upgrade.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

averox posted:

Well I'm just gonna throw this out there that 5.1.1 did wonders for my battery life. I was previously JBed on 5.0.1 as well and leaving my phone unplugged overnight pretty much meant I was waking up with what was probably like 30% battery life (I turn off the percentage because gently caress that thing). Now I can leave it unplugged around 80% and wake up with it still around 80% or whatever. Now granted this may be because Sprint has improved services down here but I doubt that.

P.S. I'm not saying you have to upgrade.

I've heard that there were supposed to be battery-life improvements but that people were getting mixed results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

I am having the same issue. Talked to the SA Devs as the same behavior happens on safari also. They said that they have been getting a lot of this from AT&T 4G users, since it works fine on Wifi. Something about the way they are handling cookies now.

• Locked thread