Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I can't even remember what the dragon thing was all about, maybe because it was so retarded. Wasn't it something like a guardian for the magical Ori-killing thing but turned out to just be a hologram and the macguffin turned out to be fake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Here's your bad CGI dragon. I couldn't bear to do a gif of it flapping around in the cave or walking about in the field because it just looks embarrasingly bad.

Looks like it's from the Skyrim trailer.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I can't even remember what the dragon thing was all about, maybe because it was so retarded. Wasn't it something like a guardian for the magical Ori-killing thing but turned out to just be a hologram and the macguffin turned out to be fake?

It was fake, but it then lead them to find Merlin who it turned out was a) still alive and b) had never finished making the thing in the first place. Then he got into Daniel.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

JetsGuy posted:

Along these lines, one thing that the internet (particularly twitter) has done is allow crazed fans (of anything) to *actually* contact celebrities. In the past, these voices really wouldn't have been heard, or just buried with other letters. I really don't blame Joe for reacting the way he did to some of the letters, especially those he posted on his blog.

JMS was posting on GEnie about Babylon 5 as far back as 1991 and Ron Moore did the same with DS9 on AOL, so it's not like this is anything that new as far as sci-fi TV is concerned. Some people can deal with garbage like that and file it away as :spergin: and some can't. I think it does cause problems though, especially for writers or producers who probably aren't used to direct fan criticism of their work as much. Combine endless internet anger with MY VISION and you get angry Mallozzi.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 15, 2012

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Higginson posted:

It was fake, but it then lead them to find Merlin who it turned out was a) still alive and b) had never finished making the thing in the first place. Then he got into Daniel.

This sounds like erotic fanfiction.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Steve Higginson posted:

Daniel got all the best romance story lines.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
The first time I watched SGU (when it was airing), I really wasn't a fan of the overall show. There were some individual episodes I really enjoyed (the S2 finale, Time, the episode where some of the people stay at the planet).

I decided to rewatch it, and I'm about halfway through S1. I am REALLY enjoying the show this time around. The stone use and drama/romance/relationship crap isn't anywhere near as gratuitous as I recalled. I am particularly enjoying Colonel Young being probably the worst Colonel ever, Greer's slowly unfolding story, and the supporting character scientists (Brody, Volker and Park).

I'm also a deeply faithful member of the "SG-1 only had 8 seasons" club. I tried rewatching season 9 to give it a second shot last month, and, well, I could make it only 2 episodes in before I just gave up. I actually really like Landry, but the Ori are so boring and trite and anti-compelling that it makes me :barf:. I really don't understand Vala appreciation. We get it, she's a thief and sex and a scoundrel and sex with Daniel tee hee!!!!! Hearing it perpetually in the dialogue when she's onscreen gets old fast. The only perpetual dialogue I want to hear in SG-1 is technobabble, dammit!

Rewatching early SG-1 Daniel right before giving S9 a 2nd shot made enjoying the episodes rather difficult, as well. Daniel loses almost all of his personality by that point in the series. I definitely prefer geeky-weak-archaeologist-with-heart-to-keep-military-in-line Daniel of early SG-1. It's not even character growth; it's just character devolvement.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In retrospect, I have a feeling that the team changes would have been better if season 9 and season 8 had been merged. Sg-1 really lost momentum in season 8 due to things like the reduced availability of RDA. So by the time the team was changed around in Season 9 it felt like an attempt to salvage things. If Season 8 had started with Jacks promotion and introduced Mitchell as a new SG-1 member we could have had him helping to finish off the Goa'uld, and made it feel like less of a total generational change.

It's the type of thing that only becomes obvious in retrospect so isn't a fail on the part of the production staff, but definitely would have helped.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Originally they planned to just stop SG1 and make a new show called Stargate Command with the new team, but the network though that ratings would plummet.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
The way they did it was weird. Like, the show actually depicted and thematized a huge loss of momentum within the narrative, so it's no surprise the show as a whole lost momentum. I'm referring to Mitchell's fairly depressing attempts to get the "old team" back together, as well as the loss of funding to the SGC that is this weird meta gag that is also pretty depressing. Like, in those early episodes of season 9, it sometimes feels as though the SGC is empty except for Mitchell, who's like this one sad fan who wishes the show were still on the air, only it isn't, not really.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yehudis Basya posted:

I really don't understand Vala appreciation. We get it, she's a thief and sex and a scoundrel and sex with Daniel tee hee!!!!! Hearing it perpetually in the dialogue when she's onscreen gets old fast. The only perpetual dialogue I want to hear in SG-1 is technobabble, dammit!

I always chalked it up to Farscape fans. It was an ok show, but in my opinion over rated, and I wasn't super happy that SG1 picked up half the main cast of it, but a lot of people were.

I really don't see why Claudia Black is so popular among nerds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

I really don't see why Claudia Black is so popular among nerds.

I will cut you.

No seriously, she's an excellent actress, super funny, has an accent and is dead sexy. All the things nerds love.

And I will still cut you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've never seen Farscape so I didn't mind it when those 2 signed on.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I will cut you.

No seriously, she's an excellent actress, super funny, has an accent and is dead sexy. All the things nerds love.

Is this the end of the line? Good, cause I'm right after you

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

GreenNight posted:

I've never seen Farscape so I didn't mind it when those 2 signed on.

You should, it's an absolutely phenomenal show. Especially once Scorpius shows up :swoon:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

I will cut you.

See, I can't agree with any of those things. I mean, other than having an accent, that's definitely true. I'm not saying she's the worst anything ever, I just don't get why she's so nerd popular. She's certainly more deserving of it than Summer Glau and um, whatsherface, Felicia Day?

So, :ese: away I guess guys. I just don't get it.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 16, 2012

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought she had great chemistry with Ben Browder on Farscape and great comic delivery but I wouldn't call her the greatest actress in the world of sci-fi.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 16, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IRQ posted:

See, I can't agree with any of those things. I mean, other than having an accent, that's definitely true. I'm not saying she's the worst anything ever, I just don't get why she's so nerd popular. She's certainly more deserving of it than Summer Glau and um, whatsherface, Felicia Day?

What makes you say she's popular?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

IRQ posted:

I don't get the fascination with Felicia Day. Summer Glau, however...

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I don't think Claudia Black is the be-all-and-end-all of scifi actresses either. I saw her first in SG-1, then went back and watched Farscape, then saw Pitch Black and the SG1 movie and my conclusion was that she was pretty good with some great acting range (evil version was the best). I don't have a list of top female actresses but I guess she's up in the top half somewhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

richardfun posted:

I never saw the Felcia Day hype either until someone pointed out how much my girlfriend resembles her.

Dan LeDouche
Apr 28, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

richardfun posted:

I'm fully aware of just how much nerd rage is coming my way but I don't understand why she's so loved by the sci-fi crowd. She looks like she has Downs Syndrome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dan LeDouche posted:

I'm fully aware of just how much nerd rage is coming my way but I don't understand why she's so loved by the sci-fi crowd. She looks like she has Downs Syndrome.

She's also a terrible actress. She pulled off autistic as gently caress on Firefly and a robot on Terminator really great though, because that basically is her range.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Didn't really come across any giffable moments in the finale, but I made some from Ark Of Truth! Will probably do some from Continuum tomorrow too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't remember anything about The Ark of Truth.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It was the mediocre ending the Ori arc deserved- Merlin's weapon worked, but then Adria ascended and got access to all the Ori prayer mojo to herself. Teal'c walks across some barren wilderness for about half the run-time. Later, much like Ba'al took advantage of the DHD update feature to take down the Stargate network, SG-1 managed to use the Ark to reprogram a Prior.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't remember anything about The Ark of Truth.

I remember watching the leaked version that had a bunch of VFX not done. It exposed just how awful that storyline was, if I wasn't already aware of it. all I remember from the actual release is Teal'c running for a lot of "epic" scenes, and them resolving the whole Ori thing with Danial kicking over a coffee table.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 17, 2012

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Really, the end of the whole Ori plot was some self-satisfied teenager's fantasy of resolving arguments over the internet. "I'll make you see my point of view and then everything will be fixed!"

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Dan LeDouche posted:

Not saying I think she's a great actress, I just find her attractive.

And you disagreeing with me in a forceful manner doesn't bother me in the slightest...

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Continuum gifs!

Expect Atlantis gifs in the near future, and expect most of them to include Ronon. :black101:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Apollo assault on replicator home world please

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

golgo13sf posted:

Apollo assault on replicator home world please

What season was that? It was quite late on wasn't it, like season 4-ish? Anyway no problem, I've got you covered.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

What season was that? It was quite late on wasn't it, like season 4-ish? Anyway no problem, I've got you covered.

Pretty sure the last season, I'll check later though to be sure

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Was listening to some DVD commentaries and I had to make a couple from Lost City.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Was listening to some DVD commentaries and I had to make a couple from Lost City.

This was a HELL YEAH :patriot: moment for the ages.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why are they flying right at each other? Shouldn't they be launching missiles and laser beams from like 5 miles away?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Given how troops were so expendable, I always imagined the gliders as not even having any aiming devices, pilots just had to go by feel like with the staff weapons.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
Arg, it is amazing/infuriating how much better SGU is on rewatch! Even Cloverdale was enjoyable to watch, like the whole thing, not just the crazy attacking alien flower things.

Lt Bland isn't so bland! Chloe isn't useless! Eli's film jokes aren't grating! Pregnancy plot doesn't feel as shoehorned! Colonel Young's incompetence is compelling! The emo isn't unnecessarily emo! The stones aren't used too often! However, the use of musical montage like clockwork at the end of each episode is still as gratuitous as I recall.

Seriously, I am so surprised by this development. Too bad it was cancelled after 2 seasons :(

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yehudis Basya posted:

Arg, it is amazing/infuriating how much better SGU is on rewatch! Even Cloverdale was enjoyable to watch, like the whole thing, not just the crazy attacking alien flower things.

Lt Bland isn't so bland! Chloe isn't useless! Eli's film jokes aren't grating! Pregnancy plot doesn't feel as shoehorned! Colonel Young's incompetence is compelling! The emo isn't unnecessarily emo! The stones aren't used too often! However, the use of musical montage like clockwork at the end of each episode is still as gratuitous as I recall.

Seriously, I am so surprised by this development. Too bad it was cancelled after 2 seasons :(

Yeah, it's a real shame, but I do agree about the musical montages. SGU is the sci-fi equivalent of Sons of Anarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, it's a real shame, but I do agree about the musical montages. SGU is the sci-fi equivalent of Sons of Anarchy.

So it is a good thing it was cancelled after two seasons before it became a joke of its former self?