Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Contra Calculus posted:

I would fear for the child who read these books between ages 0 and 6 years old.
I get the feeling there's a connection between that and them never seeing their seventh namedays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Contra Calculus posted:

I would fear for the child who read these books between ages 0 and 6 years old.

That's why they died.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I think he meant to imply that any sort of want for death would make her seem cruel since she's the only non-sociopathic Stark that isn't either dead or Jesus' second coming.

Edit: gently caress, new page. This post was in response to Ambiguatron.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 15, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I wonder how many children there are out there named after Gurm's characters. Or will be now that the show is so popular.

I'm sure it's less than the number of cats named after Gurm characters, but I fear that isn't saying much. At least cats do not know shame. Poor little Aryas and Jons and Loras's. What will they think when they get old enough to feel the crushing shame of their names? It surely must be as heavy a burden as Gurm himself is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I wonder how many children there are out there named after Gurm's characters. Or will be now that the show is so popular.

I'm sure it's less than the number of cats named after Gurm characters, but I fear that isn't saying much. At least cats do not know shame. Poor little Aryas and Jons and Loras's. What will they think when they get old enough to feel the crushing shame of their names? It surely must be as heavy a burden as Gurm himself is.

According to the Social Security Administration Brandon has actually declined in popularity since 1996. I'm still looking to see if any of the more unusual names are in the top 1000.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I'm naming my firstborn Rickon Walnutsbane.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Robb, Jon, Ned, Brienne, Brandon, and Catelyn are normal names albeit with different spelling. I've even heard of a woman or two actually named Dany (but not Danaerys.)

It's the ones that are named Yoren, Bronn, Jaime, Tyrion, Loras, Renly, Cersei, and Strong Belwas that I feel sorry for. But you just know those will be the most popular ones thanks to them being the most popular characters. I would not laugh at the kid with the name Tormund Giantsbane, however.

Also, the poor kid that gets to be named Darkstar is going to have a tough time on the playground :smith:

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 15, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I want two sons.

Tormund Giantsbane XXXXXXXXX

and Hodor Hodor XXXXXXXXX

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Poor Harry Potter's kids are like "James Severus Voldemort Dumbledore Longbottom Potter." Hogwarts will be a very cruel place for them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why do you feel bad for kids named Jaime? That's a common enough name and common enough spelling, no one would think twice of it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Contra Calculus posted:

Robb, Jon, Ned, Brienne, Brandon, and Catelyn are normal names albeit with different spelling. I've even heard of a woman or two actually named Dany (but not Danaerys.)

It's the ones that are named Yoren, Bronn, Jaime, Tyrion, Loras, Renly, Cersei, and Strong Belwas that I feel sorry for. But you just know those will be the most popular ones thanks to them being the most popular characters. I would not laugh at the kid with the name Tormund Giantsbane, however.

Also, the poor kid that gets to be named Darkstar is going to have a tough time on the playground :smith:

Jaime is a pretty common name though.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Strong Belwas is a perfectly fine name as well :colbert:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I want two sons.

Tormund Giantsbane XXXXXXXXX

and Hodor Hodor XXXXXXXXX

The second one doesn't work unless you change his last name to Hodor, sorry.

Also, I am departing for a world called Gor. Ready my flannel, suspenders and captain's hat for when I return.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

The second one doesn't work unless you change his last name to Hodor, sorry.

I'm hoping to gay marry someone named Hodor and take his name. :allears:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Wait, Jaime is a common name?

Well poo poo, I had always heard of girls with the name Jamie and some dudes with the name Jameson and I assumed that was the only variant of that name. Heh, the more you know.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm hoping to gay marry someone named Hodor and take his name. :allears:

Someone, somewhere, will name their downs baby Hodor.

and they will be awesome.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Jaime is a Spanish name, pronounced HIGH-meh. Could this be a hint that Jaime Lannister is a secret Martell, since Dorne is clearly the Mexico of Westeros?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

When I hear the Spanish pronunciation, I think of the guy Edward James Olmos played in Stand and Deliver. Handless will bring calculus to Westeros.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
that movie's the only reason I know that :ssh:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Martin Van Buren posted:

Jaime is a Spanish name, pronounced HIGH-meh. Could this be a hint that Jaime Lannister is a secret Martell, since Dorne is clearly the Mexico of Westeros?

I read it in my head that way for the first three or so books before someone convinced me it was just an alt spelling of Jamie. I was kinda disappointed actually.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

Someone, somewhere, will name their downs baby Hodor.

and they will be awesome.

If Sarah Palin had named her kid Hodor McCain would have won my vote.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

If Sarah Palin had named her kid Hodor McCain would have won my vote.

The kid was born before the show. How would Palin know that reference?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The kid was born before the show. How would Palin know that reference?
Surely someone on her staff would empathize with the Starks.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Someone named Berric Dondarrion as a RL name actually wouldn't surprise me too much.

I just realized JustFrakkingDoIt signed up for this site the exact same day as me. I'm totally not his alt guys :tinfoil:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
You guys give people way too much credit, I bet there are babies named after every ASOIAF character.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Martin Van Buren posted:

It's also a completely mundane english version. :v:

"Jamie" doesn't look correct, anyway; I want to pronounce it "jam-ee" because there's no reason that A should be long.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Split the difference and pronounce it Jigh me. Lannisters are now Australian, sigil a kangaroo on a barbie being cooked by a dingo.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

rejutka posted:

Split the difference and pronounce it Jigh me. Lannisters are now Australian, sigil a kangaroo on a barbie being cooked by a dingo.

I guess you missed the memo.

CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY CASSOWARY

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Now I want Jaime to have a folding broadsword in his back pocket.

"That's not Valyrian steel. This is Valyrian steel."

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
The Lannistralian sigil is a cassowary rampant, ridden by a funnel web spider, also rampant, which is turn ridden by a mouse spider... also rampant, on a blood red field checked with those little jellyfish that literally make you think the world is ending.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Now I want Jaime to have a folding broadsword in his back pocket.

"That's not Valyrian steel. This is Valyrian steel."

It is bonzer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's also a completely mundane english version. :v:

"Jamie" doesn't look correct, anyway; I want to pronounce it "jam-ee" because there's no reason that A should be long.

My uncle is a Jaime. If you speak english first it's Jay-me, if you speak portugese first it's high-me. Nobody really gives a gently caress unless they have a stick up their rear end.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Yesterday I learned about physics of severed spines and the results of paraplegia. Today I'm learning about name pronunciation. Gee willickers, I sure learn a lot from the Bad Thread.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

To be fair, that's not a stick up my rear end. It is a lovingly sculpted rubber dragon.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Words are Hear Me Chunder.

Instead of forever being feted by The Rains of Castamere, wherever they go, they are presented with a meat pie floater and some tinnies.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Or the bands always play Waltzing Matilda.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Ambiguatron posted:

The Lannistralian sigil is a cassowary rampant, ridden by a funnel web spider, also rampant, which is turn ridden by a mouse spider... also rampant, on a blood red field checked with those little jellyfish that literally make you think the world is ending.
Wait what ... they make you think the world is ending? I always thought they just caused you unbearable agonizing pain by injecting venom that directly stimulates the pain receptors in your body. And then afterwards kills you.
EDIT: Also they are called irukanji iirc. Just so we're sure we're talking about the same thing here.

PrBacterio fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 16, 2012

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
All Cleganes are played by Alf Stewart, sigil, a flaming galah.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Or the bands always play Waltzing Matilda.

Come on Cersei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Come on Cersei.

Blackwater is burning.