Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Okay this isn't funny anymore. Is it just a book of stupid pin-ups or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even know who those two are. Is that Naoto with Yukari?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Alteisen posted:

Yea but then you have poo poo like this.

http://i.imgur.com/i7MG6.jpg :nws:

A little better sure but it still screams pandering. Naoto in a bikini seems very unlike the character from what was established in the game.

Have you actually played the game and gotten the level 10 S Link. It's totally in character.

EDIT: If only we hadn't marred her perfection with our desire for stronger personae!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I don't even know who those two are. Is that Naoto with Yukari?

I thought that was supposed to be Naoto and Rise?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is Atlus actually writing this, or is some author just using the source material with permission?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Tae posted:

Is Atlus actually writing this, or is some author just using the source material with permission?

None of the light novels are written by Kido, but they are all "licensed" by Atlus Co.

I still think the light novel where Akihiko falls in love with a self-insert flower shop girl who dies in the penultimate chapter is worse than this, but then I like Naoto. :shrug:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Have you actually played the game and gotten the level 10 S Link. It's totally in character.

EDIT: If only we hadn't marred her perfection with our desire for stronger personae!

I understood that it it was more of a personal moment, something romantic for the MC as she went back to her traditional way of dressing after that moment.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm pretty shocked that a book based on an anime dating sim would contain such prurient material, especially one that comes with cool preorder bonuses like these posters :nws:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Alteisen posted:

I understood that it it was more of a personal moment, something romantic for the MC as she went back to her traditional way of dressing after that moment.

Game limitations :colbert:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm pretty shocked that a book based on an anime dating sim would contain such prurient material, especially one that comes with cool preorder bonuses like these posters :nws:

Yeah but for the dilettante fan these look like a new low. I guess there were also those bikini costumes in FES.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rinkles posted:

Yeah but for the dilettante fan these look like a new low. I guess there were also those bikini costumes in FES.

Yeah, but the 3D models are so undetailed it's not like anyone could actually find that sexy, right?

...right?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I think the real take away from all this is that Persona is a Japanese video game, and Japanese video game side material tends to be really creepy and pandering. Also, the games themselves can be really creepy and pandering too.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yyyyeah, what I remember from her s-link and christmas eve event was that acceptance of herself didn't mean she was going to start being "girly", that made her embarrassed and uncomfortable, so she was going to stick with what she was comfortable with, just not going so far as hiding her gender anymore.

But I guess she decided she'd rather be embarrassed and uncomfortable? Okay :rolleyes:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I maintain that the worst creepy pandering Persona 4 side material is the official flash game where you try to sneak a peek at the girls in the bath. So classy!

As for Naoto, I choose to believe that she gets all of her information on gender roles from the media, particularly shonen and detective shows, and tries to emulate them.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

TurnipFritter posted:

Heavens! So much skin. How uncouth! :smugteddie:

edit: VVV fuk

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 16, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justice posted:

You missed the perfect chance to make a bare skin pun with that emoticon.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I think the real take away from all this is that Persona is a video game, and video game side material tends to be really creepy and pandering. Also, the games themselves can be really creepy and pandering too.

I fixed that for you. Western developers objectify women to pander to their male fans all the time, this is not a Japanese phenomenon.

edit: I'm not trying to defend this, by the way. I think this novel is embarrassing and bad, I just get sick of seeing people pointing at objectified anime women and saying "God drat it Japan" when this poo poo is all over video games in general.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 16, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I would never pretend that it's not. But in this particular instance I decided to mention it because...Persona is a Japanese video game series and that's really it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Justice posted:

edit: VVV fuk

I'm glad we agree on it, old chum.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm glad we agree on it, old chum.

Bathing suits don't bother me, what bothers me is that they are loving teenagers. We can save the "objectifying women" thing for the perennial "women in video games" thread, but jesus christ those characters are supposed to be like 16 years old right? Goddamn. :facepalm:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Justice posted:

Bathing suits don't bother me, what bothers me is that they are loving teenagers. We can save the "objectifying women" thing for the perennial "women in video games" thread, but jesus christ those characters are supposed to be like 16 years old right? Goddamn. :facepalm:

Now I'm curious, actually. The Naoto novel takes place a few years after the events of the game, right? How old is she in that, exactly?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

King of Solomon posted:

Now I'm curious, actually. The Naoto novel takes place a few years after the events of the game, right? How old is she in that, exactly?

I was referring to the cheesecake swimsuit poster thing, and I'm pretty sure the stupid idol girl is 15. Naoto is in the same grade as her in the game iirc, which would make them the same age (I guess).

Maybe she grew out of her rebellious teenage phase and discovered long hair isn't the end of the world, which is good for her but too bad for those of us who have a "thing" for girls with short hair :sigh:

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Devil Survivor 2 final boss: Holy poo poo, gently caress Polaris A or B or AB. Actually gently caress all of them.

Gonna try a different set-up and strategy to see if it works. If it doesn't, I'm going to cry and kill myself (by grinding a whole lot).

Edit: I did it! gently caress you Polaris and your stupid arms. Nothing like suicide rushing through Supernova and surviving. Dunno why others are allowed to have the MC die without getting a Game Over. Maybe it has to do with paths.

RickDaedalus fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 16, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The game does insinuate Naoto has the biggest tits. Clearly this light novel was planned from the beginning to capitalize on this.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

This says it's a year after P4 ends.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The cast being teens makes stuff like "let's try and look at them in the bath" make perfect sense, though.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
welp

Rascyc posted:

The game does insinuate Naoto has the biggest tits. Clearly this light novel was planned from the beginning to capitalize on this.

Japanese women literally can not talk to each other in a locker room/sauna/hot spring without comparing breast size.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I'm pretty disappointed with what Atlus is doing with P4 lately. The fighting game was okay but the Naoto novel thing is just bad. I'm glad Persona 3 was less popular or whatever so it didn't get all this weird spinoff stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A spin-off, especially one that's just using a source material on permission, is not damning on the original source. Unless we count Persona Trinity as part of Persona 3.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just wait until the P3 movie :q:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah it's pretty generic fare LN/Manga stuff. There's way worse things with the name Persona on it.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

glod posted:

I'm pretty disappointed with what Atlus is doing with P4 lately. The fighting game was okay but the Naoto novel thing is just bad. I'm glad Persona 3 was less popular or whatever so it didn't get all this weird spinoff stuff.

Persona 3 was way more popular, and there were more LNs and comics than Persona 4 ever had. No one talks about those, though, because they were mostly benign at best and came out like five years ago.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Rascyc posted:

Yeah it's pretty generic fare LN/Manga stuff. There's way worse things with the name Persona on it.

I guess this is just my first time seeing stuff like that. :( Ah well... At least it's just a manga and not an actual game so I can just skip it entirely and not miss out on anything.

Also I forgot that Trinity Soul was even a thing. Is that for the better? I never saw it, what's the deal with it?

edit:

Justice posted:

Persona 3 was way more popular, and there were more LNs and comics than Persona 4 ever had. No one talks about those, though, because they were mostly benign at best and came out like five years ago.

Oh, really? I was under the impression that P4 was way more popular for some reason (at least in Japan). Nevermind, if that's the case!

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

glod posted:

Oh, really? I was under the impression that P4 was way more popular for some reason (at least in Japan). Nevermind, if that's the case!
If you're ever in doubt which of two things is more popular in Japan, always bank on the one with the robot girl.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

If you're ever in doubt which of two things is more popular in Japan, always bank on the one with the robot girl.

Robot girls, where instead of using the other one already existing, let's make another robot girl for Fighting Arena!

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Armor-Piercing posted:

P4 had a twintails idol, a martial arts tomgirl, AND a reverse-trap detective.

P3, FES, and Portable had the lion's share of LNs, comics, figures, and drama CDs. Atlus USA was really banking on P4 selling better in the states, but maybe it was too late in the PS2's life or something. It did alright in Japan, but the merchandising was nowhere near the level P3 had; look at the Konamistyle pre-order bonuses for a good idea of what I'm talking about.

Then they decided to make some cartoons and a fighting game and, well, here we are.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

glod posted:

Also I forgot that Trinity Soul was even a thing. Is that for the better? I never saw it, what's the deal with it?

One of the plot points involved a brain transplant.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

To derail from the Naoto chat.

I just got into the EEG Tower for the second time in DDS2 and goddamn this is the WORST loving place. I thought the Power Plant was bad. This is a million times worse.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Len posted:

I just got into the EEG Tower for the second time in DDS2 and goddamn this is the WORST loving place. I thought the Power Plant was bad. This is a million times worse.
Every dungeon in DDS is the worst dungeon until you see the next one.

Edit: That made me look at my Strange Journey save after not touching it for months. I'm only in Sector F. :(

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Every dungeon in DDS is the worst dungeon until you see the next one.

Edit: That made me look at my Strange Journey save after not touching it for months. I'm only in Sector F. :(

Don't say this. It doesn't inspire hope.