Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

So I was just hitting up some tracks on YouTube recently and happened to stumble across a producer known as Muffler. I've never heard of this guy nor heard any tracks by him so I had a look at a few and they are pretty good (Can You Feel, Cold World and Uplifter are pretty good).

I looked Muffler up on Discogs and from what I can see the last EP he released was in 2010 under Spearhead Recordings. The tracks I linked above all seem to have been released in 2010 which seems to be the same time that he dropped off the radar.

Has anyone ever heard of him before? Does he produce under a different name these days? I'd love to know what happened to the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
I can't help you with if he changed his name or what, but mermaids / waves breaking (b-side in particular) is one of my favourite vinyls from back when I used to collect them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got this Hospital e-mail yesterday:

Hospital Records posted:

Netsky – "2" takes the 23 year old's signature sound and brings in live influences with elements of electro-house and dubstep alongside the euphoric, hands-in-the-air D+B he has become known for.

Netsky - "2" is due out on Monday 25th June.

quote:

brings in live influences with elements of electro-house and dubstep

quote:

elements of electro-house and dubstep

quote:

dubstep

:tizzy:

It's not that I don't like dubstep, it's that I think Netsky's pretty good as a one-trick pony and I don't want him to venture off into other sounds only to yield disappointing results.

But hey, maybe it'll turn out alright. I guess I'll reserve judgement for now. I just got that e-mail and immediately thought "Oh god, this is going to be really bad". But I suppose it could also be really good. We'll see!

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

cheese-cube posted:

Has anyone ever heard of him before? Does he produce under a different name these days? I'd love to know what happened to the guy.

He's been around for a while, but I think the last I heard he was writing dubstep for the SubHuman label.

Fake edit: just double checked Discogs and Rolldabeats, and he's had a few appearances in 2011 and 2012, just none of his own solo releases.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

So, I've been away from the DnB scene for some time now. What have I missed? This thread is pretty rarely updated lately.

What are the top tracks in 2012 in your opinion? Maybe a Friday 5 favorites of 2012?

TIA.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's not that I don't like dubstep, it's that I think Netsky's pretty good as a one-trick pony and I don't want him to venture off into other sounds only to yield disappointing results.

But hey, maybe it'll turn out alright. I guess I'll reserve judgement for now. I just got that e-mail and immediately thought "Oh god, this is going to be really bad". But I suppose it could also be really good. We'll see!

Honestly, I am a pretty big fan of his song "I Can't Hold It". I am just going to wait and see what the album brings.

cheese-cube posted:

So I was just hitting up some tracks on YouTube recently and happened to stumble across a producer known as Muffler. I've never heard of this guy nor heard any tracks by him so I had a look at a few and they are pretty good (Can You Feel, Cold World and Uplifter are pretty good).

I looked Muffler up on Discogs and from what I can see the last EP he released was in 2010 under Spearhead Recordings. The tracks I linked above all seem to have been released in 2010 which seems to be the same time that he dropped off the radar.

As SUBFRIES stated, he produces dubstep on subHUMAN now for Dieselboy. I don't know how many dubstep fans there are in this thread, but he recently released a VIP version of his song "Move" (samples from the same song as Sigma's "Front to Back"... or maybe that is the original, dunno) that is double-time, and I like it pretty well.

Really dig this dnb remix that just came out too:
"Cybertron (Audio VIP)" - Muffler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlpPXsJdzBs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Honestly, I am a pretty big fan of his song "I Can't Hold It". I am just going to wait and see what the album brings.

Oh yeah, me too. I just assumed that since they were making a point to say that this album is going to include elements of dubstep and electro-house, that they will be more pronounced than they were on the first album.

But maybe they said the same thing about the first album v:shobon:v

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Re: Muffler, his most recent dnb release came out a few months ago on Subsonik Sound. He also had a few tunes released under the "Konsta" name years ago - I believe it was his alias for the liquidy stuff people know him best for as at the time he was still producing heavier stuff. In a way he's reverted to type with his dubstep releases.

Boywunda posted:

So, I've been away from the DnB scene for some time now. What have I missed? This thread is pretty rarely updated lately.

What are the top tracks in 2012 in your opinion? Maybe a Friday 5 favorites of 2012?

TIA.

I'm gonna be a bit lazy here (sue me) but if you have a bit of free time you can do what I sometimes do and go on various web stores and get stuck in.

One release I will recommend is Nightrider/Sharkskin by Seba. Two tunes on different ends of the spectrum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLwtpmyxG_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yho1_1JaB4

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've just discovered Misanthrop and love how fruity and visceral it is. Who else has that really groovy, bassy and kind of sinister sound?

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
You guys mind if I throw in an obscure San Francisco act from 1997?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fexi0_34_M
Westside Chemical.
Back when I was coding I'd pretty much play the CD, Phibsborough, over and over. I don't consider myself a big Drum and Bass fan but we threw a couple parties with these guys and I really grew to like what they were doing. I've only found a couple tracks of theirs online.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFT812WSEvg
I think Phibsborough is one of my favorite discs even after all these years and my copy has gone all over. I'm amazed I still have it. Everybody I've loaned it to has had high praise for it whether they like Drum and Bass or not. I didn't even know the genre until someone told me what it was. I just remember the music and the parties we threw and I'm glad I still have my copy. I hope you guys dig these tracks.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

Anjow posted:

I've just discovered Misanthrop and love how fruity and visceral it is. Who else has that really groovy, bassy and kind of sinister sound?

Phace.

But really, just check out a lot of their releases on Neosignal. Lots of dark neurofunk stuff on there. Mefjus might be someone you are interested in. Aeph has been producing a lot of quality stuff as of late too, so you could also check out releases on Bad Taste.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

HJB posted:

I'm gonna be a bit lazy here (sue me) but if you have a bit of free time you can do what I sometimes do and go on various web stores and get stuck in.

I keep forgetting to check for top lists, so thanks for these, this will get me going in the right direction.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Check this out, ridiculously clean mixdown, really nice track:

http://soundcloud.com/place2b/place-2b-paimon-youve-taken-it

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Friday Five Resurrection: Half of the Year Edition

5 new releases from the first half of 2012...GO!

- "Take you" - Technical Itch. (Been a while since I've heard somethin' like this, but I'm glad the style isn't dead.)

- "The Verdict VIP" - Heist. (Brand new hype anthem for me. Heist loving KILLED IT, here!)

- "Anarchy" - Counterstrike & Gein. (Sometimes, aggression is the only answer...and what better way to answer than with a track like this one!)

- "Middle of the Night (Reso Remix)" - Evol Intent. (Oh my motherfucking god...Reso let us all know what the gently caress was up with this remix right here! It was really great to hear him drop this live, when I saw him and Gigantor of Evol Intent, back in February!)

- "Voodoo (ill.Gates & Bassnectar Remix)" - Bassnectar. (Pretty fuckin' dope remix right here. Sounds like it came straight from a video game, or somethin'.)

Mirsha
May 20, 2001

I love riding the man-train
I record a D&B mix every week, most of which are fairly poor and not worth sharing; however this week I managed to do an hour long set at home which sounds pretty decent. I've uploaded it to Soundcloud here.

It was a kinda weird mix for me to do, it's the first time I have done a mix without using the cross fader on my mixer and I instead relied on the channel faders and gains. The track selection is fairly decent I think, a heavy play of tracks from the new Optiv & BTK album which kinda sets the tone of the mix, most of the tracks played have been released fairly recently including stuff by Phace and Misanthrop that have been mentioned in the last few posts as well as stuff by Calyx, Phlex and Jade that I just bought last night. A full track list is on my Soundcloud page linked above.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

So I'm a bit late but Lifted Music Podcast 019 was released in late April (I rarely ever check if they've got a new episode out as their release cycle is so sporadic). It's the first podcast that's been presented solely by Chris Renegade and I miss the funny back-and-forth banter between Spor and himself. All the same it's still pretty good.

Tracklist:
01. Aeph - Hoedown
02. Phace - Stresstest
03. Infuze - Soul to Soul
04. The Upbeats & Noisia - Dustup
05. Memtrix - Slipper
06. Mefjus & M-force ft. Maksim - Struggle & Pain
07. Hazard - Foodfight VIP
08. Neonlight - Computer Music
09. Noisia - Try Hard
10. InsideInfo & Neonlight - Something Else
11. Jade - Lazertag (Neonlight Rmx)
12. J Majik - Love Is Not A Game (Dillinja Rmx)
13. Maxim ft. Skin - Carmen Queasy (Engage & Receptor Rmx)
14. Meta - Flare
15. Meta - Phoenix Down

Riot.EXE posted:

Friday Five Resurrection: Half of the Year Edition

5 new releases from the first half of 2012...GO!

- "Take you" - Technical Itch. (Been a while since I've heard somethin' like this, but I'm glad the style isn't dead.)

- "The Verdict VIP" - Heist. (Brand new hype anthem for me. Heist loving KILLED IT, here!)

- "Anarchy" - Counterstrike & Gein. (Sometimes, aggression is the only answer...and what better way to answer than with a track like this one!)

- "Middle of the Night (Reso Remix)" - Evol Intent. (Oh my motherfucking god...Reso let us all know what the gently caress was up with this remix right here! It was really great to hear him drop this live, when I saw him and Gigantor of Evol Intent, back in February!)

- "Voodoo (ill.Gates & Bassnectar Remix)" - Bassnectar. (Pretty fuckin' dope remix right here. Sounds like it came straight from a video game, or somethin'.)

Really digging these tracks! I miss the Friday Five and we should definitely revive it.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 16, 2012

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Could someone tell me what type of DnB this would be? I'm not super sure, but oh my god it's the most amazing thing I've ever heard and I wanna hear more poo poo in this style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ydQ-qPD324

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Marka doesn't really fit into a solid category, it's just some sort of halftime-ish tribal type thing. Jubei basically copied it a few months later with Say Nothin.

gently caress Skrillex

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

HJB posted:

Marka doesn't really fit into a solid category, it's just some sort of halftime-ish tribal type thing. Jubei basically copied it a few months later with Say Nothin.

And he did so so much better with it... I really cannot stand Marka or Never Been. Say Nothin' took a little time to grow on me but I really like it now. Rockwell's remix is gonna be pretty sweet too it sounds like.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Crosspost from another thread: Pendulum Split, Knife Party Is More Fun.

I've never heard of Knife Party but apparently it is all dubstep and electro-house.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

cheese-cube posted:

Crosspost from another thread: Pendulum Split, Knife Party Is More Fun.

I've never heard of Knife Party but apparently it is all dubstep and electro-house.

Probably for the best, since Immersion. Hold Your Colour is one of my top albums of all time, and after seeing them transform into what they were in their last album, it's best to just leave Pendulum.

I'm actually a fan of Immersion but for different reasons than earlier Pendulum, which is what I really miss. It's sort of a guilty pleasure but I wouldn't be too interested in another album like Immersion.

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 19, 2012

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I am also not a fan of Pendulum, but Hold Your Colour is a modern drum and bass classic and I remember getting it on vinyl right when it came out. I can toss almost any record from the set into my bag and find a place for it no matter what kind of place I am playing. Plastic World, Girl in the Fire, the title track... it's all gold.

I would solidly put it up there with releases like Wormhole, Sleepwalk, and Industry for drum and bass albums that will never go out of date.

edit: I should say not a fan of newer Pendulum. I don't really hate groups that change, but it's not something I dig on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was pretty sad to hear about that, considering Hold Your Color is one of the first albums that really got me into DNB all those years ago, and Knife Party is just okay but not great or anything :(

Oh well. Rob said they felt like they were just doing it because they had to near the end of it, so it's probably for the best. That being said, I still loved Immersion and In Silico. Not because they're great drum n bass records, because they aren't. But their sort of hybrid bastardized electro drumstep whatever the gently caress they are is catchy as hell and I love it.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Friday Five Resurrection: Remembering Pendulum

Let it be known that I'm not even Pendulum's biggest fan, but I can acknowledge some of the good they did in Drum & Bass. (However, I will NEVER, EVER, forgive them for "Slam". What the gently caress was that garbage!?!)

- "Pack of Wolves (Pendulum Remix)" - Nightbreed. (This is actually the second Pendulum anything I ever heard. I thought it was alright at the time. First Pendulum anything I ever heard was "Slam", but I didn't know it was them at the time because it was in a demo for a PS3 game called "Motorstorm".)

- "Vault" - Pendulum. (I'll own up...this was a decent banger for them. I could see why people really liked them when I listen to this.)

- "Blood Sugar (Spoken Intro Version)" - Pendulum. (This is kinda how they should've kept sounding. If they had evolved from this, I might've ended up liking them more.)

- "Masochist" - Pendulum. (They really had something here! What the hell!)

- "Voodoo People (Pendulum Remix)" - The Prodigy. (I much prefer the Chemical Brothers remix, but this one was legit. I'll admit to that.)

...and there you have it. This is me paying my respects. Pendulum, R.i.P.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was going to say something along the lines of "Oh hell yeah, this is one I'll definitely participate in", but yours already has Blood Sugar and Voodoo People on it and the rest of the ones I'd put probably aren't strictly D&B considering we're talking Pendulum :v:

Well, Sounds Of Life would definitely be in mine, but it's already in my OP. There are probably a few more that are more D&B than the rest that I'm forgetting right now. If I think of some later, I'll post them for sure.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
Not sure where the hate on Slam is coming from since I love it, but whatever. I would have to throw Hold Your Colour in there. I love the Bi-Polar remix too. Still Grey is good too... Also a really big fan of Streamline. gently caress their whole first album is golden.

I also don't give a gently caress what people say about Immersion. That is the album that opened my eyes to drum and bass a couple years ago and now it is about the only genre of music I can listen to.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Not sure where the hate on Slam is coming from since I love it, but whatever. I would have to throw Hold Your Colour in there. I love the Bi-Polar remix too. Still Grey is good too... Also a really big fan of Streamline. gently caress their whole first album is golden.

I also don't give a gently caress what people say about Immersion. That is the album that opened my eyes to drum and bass a couple years ago and now it is about the only genre of music I can listen to.

this a million times.

I got into drum and bass via Pendulum, so while I may not enjoy much past Hold Your Colour, I can still appreciate their contribution to the genre. Plus, their tracks are just...fun

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Hold Your Colour was responsible for getting me properly into dnb instead of just having a passing interest but after that the lead melodies in everything they made just sounded like annoying schoolyard chants, starting with Blood Sugar. It sounded like something an 8 year old would tap out on a keyboard.

Then when they became a band, :gonk: what a waste of KJ Sawka.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

It's a bit strange that the Pendulum moniker is being "retired" at a time when drum & bass has enjoyed recent chart success with DJ Fresh and Rudimental, but hey. They'll be back.

delusionsofgrandeur
Aug 18, 2009
I personally don't think Pendulum will be back just because of the recent dnb success, the dnb i'm hearing from Rudimental and DJ fresh has been far more musically interesting. Whilst Pendulum may have ignited a more common popular taste for drum and bass they were never producing the highest quality drum and bass.

That said they did write a few stompers, and I have nothing against them, I just found I got bored with it quickly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hopefully this will steer away from the Pendulum hate for a second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B68ToG5tV_A

Oh wait, it's a remix. Carry on, I guess! v:v:v

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
My personal favourite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ9JT1WOGjk
This... is a quote from a film

All of Hold Your Colour is excellent, though. Got the balance between accessibility and good DNB pretty spot on, I think.

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

All dnb is terrible. I don't even know why Im listening to it anymore *listens to clipz for 6 hours*

I like pendulum. Then again there isn't much dnb i don't like. :v:

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
About to give Netsky 2 a listen. Not sure if I should be excited, worried, or a bit of both. Will report back.

(boris himself hooked me up with an early copy, its k)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zeldadude posted:

About to give Netsky 2 a listen. Not sure if I should be excited, worried, or a bit of both. Will report back.

(boris himself hooked me up with an early copy, its k)

Oh poo poo! I'm more worried than excited based on what I've heard so far, but definitely keep us posted. I'm interested in how it turns out.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
No matter what you think, Massochist by Pendulum is a goddamn classic and their high point, in my opinion. I liked their later slammers, but Vault, Still Gray, and Massochist, and all of Hold Your Colour are what I come back to. Their drum compression is some of my favorite in dnb history along with Matrix, Sub Focus (Don't care if you like him or not, his mastering skills are amazing), and Ed Rush and Optical. Everything is just so crisp and sits in the mix so well. I love it.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

And they were awesome live, even if it wasn't drum and bass. Hold Your Colour on Live From Brixton Academy was played in a more In Silico style, but it's still loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5CvtKKb3nQ

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Technical Itch:
Kymera
Take You

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Netsky 2: decent I suppose but it's all very very typical. I gave it a real quick listen so I'll have to give a more detailed post once I give it a closer listen.

Basically nothing like the old netsky though, which is disappointing.

great fun songs: the whistle song, love has gone.

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, I've listened to all of Netsky's "2", and I've come to the conclusion that it's all party music. But not even great party music. It's just kind of passable party music. At first I was thinking most of these tracks would fit in on one of those Hospitality compilations instead of being strung together in a studio album, but even the Hospitality compilations are more fun to listen to and work better as party music.

I don't really feel connected to most of these tracks in the way I was with pretty much every track on his self-titled. Like on the self-titled, from the time Escape started up and especially when it first kicked in, I knew I was in for something really special. Here, Love Has Gone as the album opener didn't dazzle me. It was just kind of there. And that's how I felt about almost much every track after, too.

So basically it's an album full of tracks that are alright but not stellar or anything. When they come on my iPod on shuffle, I probably won't skip them. But I probably won't go out of my way to listen to it every now and then like I do with the self-titled, either.

Jetlag Funk was pretty neat, though. Sounded like an electro remix of one of those MIDI tunes that came with Windows 95.

And Detonate and No Beginning are both pretty interesting too. Same with Drawing Straws. Not enough to save the entire album though.

It's a shame how it only starts to become interesting towards the end and then it's over. Not Dubplate Special, though. That one was totally useless.