Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

Merchant of Death posted:

Hey another technic fan!

8070 Supercar, if you like cars it is a must have and still in production so easy to get.

8043 Excavator, amazing power function set has 4 m motors, 2 IR sensors, 2 remotes and should be out of production soon it may be expensive but thats due to the high number of power function parts, also has 4 Liner actuators and a bunch of tracks.

8069 Backhoe, for a under $100 set it packs in a bunch of functions and looks great.

9397 Logging truck, While its functions aren't great it gives you a great set of parts and is easy to modify. the little brother to 8285 and 8258.

9395 Pickup, I liked this set and picked it up for $70. It is a great little truck. It is one of my favorite sets this year just because they got the body style.

9394 Jet plane, I bought this just because I haven't had a technic plane and it was neat. Is very different from the other technic stuff but its nice and red and between it and the 8070 supercar you have almost enough panels to do anything you want with a car/truck body.

I really hadn't even looked at the supercar or the excavator, but you're right, those things look especially awesome. The others are neat too (I'm impressed with the level of detail for the control surfaces on the jet, because it surely won't go on its own like some of the cars).

Is it just me, or are these models gigantic compared to the ones available in the 80s and 90s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Th_ posted:

Is it just me, or are these models gigantic compared to the ones available in the 80s and 90s?

8880 super car from the early 90's is fairly large, it is bigger than the 8070 supercar. Sets that large were rare and far between, now the sets come with hundreds of pins/connectors compared to the old days. 8880 had 150 pins, 8070 has 450 pins. Building with studded and then trying to build with studless is much more difficult. The actual technical part like gearboxes and steering/functions are almost the same at least.

If you really want to get into the technic stuff, eurobricks has a great technic forum.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Th_ posted:

One of the original Supercars was somewhere around 60 studs.

I had that set. Apparently, it was better thought out than I remembered or knew at the time.

einTier fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 16, 2012

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'm making a trip out to King of Prussia to the Lego Store there, and am looking for some Minifigs (and maybe the Creator Lighthouse.. Or that Deadpool chopper)

Any tips for a first-time bag-feeler? I tried it with Series 4 but was just awful. I'm mainly looking for a Space Marine, a Black Knight, an Ocean King, the Aztek dude and maybe the programmer.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Space marine has the huge chest piece and helmet
Black knight i would say go for the shield
Aztec, spear.
Programmer sucks. Mostly look for the handle on the mug.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The laptop is what I'd look for. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to distinguish a mug from a head.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SynthOrange posted:

The laptop is what I'd look for. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to distinguish a mug from a head.

I disagree. The handle on the mug is very distinctive. First look for the package with two heads, then see if one of the heads has a handle. Easy.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

Designer video for the Haunted House!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5-28oA6-yc

Any US goons know how much it would cost to ship a set that size internationally?
If Lego Australia doesn't bring it out at the same time I'm going to have to do something drastic.

It's on the shop.lego.au right now as an exclusive: but it says out Sept 1st for 269.99. Shipping from the leego online store would be another 40 at least.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I also finally saw LOTR lego in store, but only three sets. Gandalf, Shelob and Moria. It was a KMart that doesn't seem to cycle it's stock too regularly, if I had a chance to cheeck a better shop I'd probably be able to find more. So I picked up Gandalf and Shelob for my grilfriend and was trying to find something for myself to build, but nothing caught my eye. So I just got more Heroica for parts/goblins.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Amoeba102 posted:

It's on the shop.lego.au right now as an exclusive: but it says out Sept 1st for 269.99. Shipping from the leego online store would be another 40 at least.

So.... Group order? Who's in?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I have just discovered the worst feeling in the world: a non-existent brick being the perfect solution. drat you inverted 1x4 slopes! :argh:

(I'll just use SNOT bricks to flip normal 1x4 slopes over)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

:stonk: Lego, why?

LOTR stock has hit the shelves on Big W today. The hilltop, Shelob and Gandalf arrives.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Th_ posted:

Took about two hours but I finished that Offroad Power truck. I know it's not Technic but it is HUGE. Amazing set though. Lots of great features and design in it. It'd be hard to recommend paying full price for it (like most sets these days) but if you can get a deal on it go for it.

Sockser posted:

Aztec, spear.

Also that helmet thing is huge in the package. It's hard to tell but that raised mohawk-type thing isn't like a mohawk, it's v-shaped. Pointed in the front and split on the back. One time I started feeling right between the back and thought it was an overneck piece of body armor so don't let that throw you.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

drat, they have this on Ebay for £50 (which was it's retail price) and I'm really tempted to buy it because it looks awesome. I've spent too much on Lego recently but this looks drat cool. It's 800 pieces as well which is pretty good for that price.

Gah. Want.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gravy Jones posted:

drat, they have this on Ebay for 50 (which was it's retail price) and I'm really tempted to buy it because it looks awesome. I've spent too much on Lego recently but this looks drat cool. It's 800 pieces as well which is pretty good for that price.

Gah. Want.

I don't care so much about the base but that squid is badass.
I never thought organic creatures really worked in lego but I've been seeing some great examples lately.
Anyone seen any particularly good monster mocs?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't care so much about the base but that squid is badass.
I never thought organic creatures really worked in lego but I've been seeing some great examples lately.
Anyone seen any particularly good monster mocs?

I'm a big fan of this Maleficent dragon and this Fell Beast, both are fairly recent. And then there's this Pegasus which is absolutely insane.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Travis343 posted:

I'm a big fan of this Maleficent dragon and this Fell Beast, both are fairly recent. And then there's this Pegasus which is absolutely insane.

Wow. Those are amazing.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Sharkelberry posted:

That's what I'm thinking ;)

I am in the middle of a move now so I don't have much time to mess with it just yet. As far as organizing goes, where should I start looking for those plastic drawer things I see posted? I assume places like Wallmart/Meijer's has them, but I'm wondering if there a better option that I am unaware of?

https://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-DSB-39-Plastic-Storage-Organizer/dp/B004EHYA1U

If this is what you're talking about, some Meijers have them but they tend to be cheaper at Lowe's or Home Depot. But if you're in the middle of a move wait until you're settled at your new place, the drawers don't have anything inside to keep anything in, so moving them means all that precious organization gets sloshed out in the moving truck. I'm moving now as well, I have four of them that I just wrapped in stretch film to keep everything in it and I'll have to sort it all out again when I get there.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BXCX posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-DSB-39-Plastic-Storage-Organizer/dp/B004EHYA1U

If this is what you're talking about, some Meijers have them but they tend to be cheaper at Lowe's or Home Depot. But if you're in the middle of a move wait until you're settled at your new place, the drawers don't have anything inside to keep anything in, so moving them means all that precious organization gets sloshed out in the moving truck. I'm moving now as well, I have four of them that I just wrapped in stretch film to keep everything in it and I'll have to sort it all out again when I get there.

I have most of my lego in one of these. They're pretty nice, wall-mounted, and came with little dividers for the plastic drawers. The drawers are also easily removable if you're using a lot of a certain brick, you can just set it on the table and work out of it.

e: I got mine at Lowe's and I don't remember how much it was but I'm pretty sure it was cheaper than that Amazon link.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Travis343 posted:

Love the Pegasus, trying to find more sea monsters.

This guy gets it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/big_x/2301879890/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/big_x/350807433/in/photostream

Not Minifig scale:

Possibly the greatest use of the Dewback
http://www.flickr.com/photos/big_x/4644191934/in/photostream

An amazing eagle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/big_x/2771647747/in/photostream

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Tried to find an unimog today with no results :( Guess I have to go online for that. Shame that shop.lego is the most expensive option.

Did see 8070 supercar for 70€ which was half price. Didn't want that though.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Gravy Jones posted:

drat, they have this on Ebay for £50 (which was it's retail price) and I'm really tempted to buy it because it looks awesome. I've spent too much on Lego recently but this looks drat cool. It's 800 pieces as well which is pretty good for that price.

Gah. Want.

Is that a skeleton inside the squid? :stare:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Kazy posted:

Is that a skeleton inside the squid? :stare:

In diving gear no less. I might have to part out that squid.

So I'm trying to find a good repeatable technique for fire that doesn't involve buying every conceivable piece of trans-red, orange and yellow (but you can't argue with those results).
Basically I'm trying to make a burning building that doesn't soley use the fire/feather piece.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Travis343 posted:

And then there's this Pegasus which is absolutely insane.

The legs on that are brilliant.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm bored. What's the best set that is easily found at retail in the US? Every other set I've bought lately is hard-to-find on Lego.com.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

smackfu posted:

I'm bored. What's the best set that is easily found at retail in the US? Every other set I've bought lately is hard-to-find on Lego.com.

vampire hearse vampire hearse vampire hearse

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Travis343 posted:

e: I got mine at Lowe's and I don't remember how much it was but I'm pretty sure it was cheaper than that Amazon link.

I think mine were like 17 each, they might have been on sale though.

I also have a bunch of these for smaller unusual parts or minifig stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23700-01-Stowaway-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B000E3C3OE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339866447&sr=8-3&keywords=Plano+box

They're pretty cheap as is but they go on clearance at target every year so you can get them for $2 each if you catch them at the right time.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Travis343 posted:

vampire hearse vampire hearse vampire hearse

Yep.

I got the Lex Power Armor today. It really is as great as everyone said. This thing is loaded with fun and cool details. The minifigs I find boring compared to what's out in some $20 sets right now (bald guy in a tux vs. robo-leged guy in a bowler with a fencing sword? c'mon) but I'm glad I got it, it's a neat set.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but it cracks me up that Supes and Lex have the exact same face.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Target near me (East Liberty, for you Pittsgoons) just restocked-- Monster Fighters stuff, some LotR (no Gandalf, though, sadly), and a new endcap of series 7 minifigs. Lucked out and got 2 more space marines (and 1 Aztec); now I have 3 total.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 16, 2012

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Sharkelberry posted:

That's what I'm thinking ;)

I am in the middle of a move now so I don't have much time to mess with it just yet. As far as organizing goes, where should I start looking for those plastic drawer things I see posted? I assume places like Wallmart/Meijer's has them, but I'm wondering if there a better option that I am unaware of?

I use bead storage trays from Michaels (found in the beading section, suprise, suprise). Either wait for a sale or just use the 40% off coupon from the website and you can get loads of trays for cheap.

I use this type

but there are many different styles.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

I use bead storage trays from Michaels (found in the beading section, suprise, suprise). Either wait for a sale or just use the 40% off coupon from the website and you can get loads of trays for cheap.

I use this type

but there are many different styles.

I found that tacklebox-style organizers didn't work very well because if you need to rearrange the bins or change the size (SO MANY CHEESE SLOPES) emptying just one bin is difficult. With these, you can take the bins out and rearrange them however you want: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005QWYF/

A little more expensive, but totally worth it IMHO.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mr. Glass posted:

Target near me (East Liberty, for you Pittsgoons) just restocked-- Monster Fighters stuff, some LotR (no Gandalf, though, sadly), and a new endcap of series 7 minifigs. Lucked out and got 2 more space marines (and 1 Aztec); now I have 3 total.

gently caress you. I'm out of town for fathers day and it's all gonna be gone by Monday.

Rub it in, rear end in a top hat.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Just got back from the Lego store.

I apparently am terrible at feeling for minifigs :v:

I got the Space Marine x2 (only was trying for 1), Computer Guy, but instead of the Aztec and the Ocean King, and the Black Night I apparently got the previously mentioned extra Space Marine, the Glam Rock Girl, and the Dare Devil. :argh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'll trade you an Ocean King for a Glam Rock Girl.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Sockser posted:

gently caress you. I'm out of town for fathers day and it's all gonna be gone by Monday.

Rub it in, rear end in a top hat.

It actually already looked somewhat picked over - I was pretty surprised to get 2 marines.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Thanks for the tips on those containers guys! I haven't even considered Michael's and hardware stores.

I figured I'd at least get the containers ahead of time for better planning in the new place.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

So the BZPower forums are in the middle of a Bionicle-Based Creations contest. A lot of it is entry-level, as you'd expect, but there are also some gems to be found:

Bionicle, Hero Factory, and Hockey. :smug:

That guy(?) has a very unique aesthetic, not at all like most AFOL builders. Some other standouts:

There's even more here, in case anyone's interested.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

It actually already looked somewhat picked over - I was pretty surprised to get 2 marines.

Toys R Us up in Ross Park consistently has at least 2-3 cases of Series 7 out. The other day they even had a case of Series 6 that looked freshly opened.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Faerunner posted:

Toys R Us up in Ross Park consistently has at least 2-3 cases of Series 7 out. The other day they even had a case of Series 6 that looked freshly opened.

Doesn't TRU price the minifigs at 3.99, though? I usually avoid them (unless they're having a BOGO deal) because their prices are generally higher than anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

Doesn't TRU price the minifigs at 3.99, though? I usually avoid them (unless they're having a BOGO deal) because their prices are generally higher than anywhere else.

How much are they elsewhere?